Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital sought court order to force C Section

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

eviltwin wrote: »
    How many posters here have had personal experience of the maternity system in this country? I think a lot of people believe the hype that its the "best in the world". This story is a very extreme one so we have heard about it but every day there are little examples of lousy treatment of women in maternity pre and post natal.

Was given a sweep without being told what it was. They said it was an internal. I didn't even know what a sweep was so wasn't expecting it. The mid wife went to inject me with pethidine without my consent or my asking for it. I stopped her and she, in turn, left in a huff, slamming the labour room door behind her. She didn't come near me for hours despite the fact that my pregnancy was high risk. My mother had to go looking for her to see if I could get gas and air and then the mid wife practically threw it at me, didn't tell me how to use it and stormed off again.
    I had no idea what was happening or what was going on. When I was offered a section I grabbed it with both hands, mainly because I was scared and I didn't want to face the prospect of a labour and delivery with that witch of a midwife.
    I then had an infection and had to get IV antibiotics. This wasn't explained to me either. Turns out it was MRSA but I only found that out months later when my GP mentioned it.

So the care is hit and miss. Now, my pregnancy was over 10 years ago. I was also given a lot of scans due to the high risk and also having to be delivered early. I had a scans at 6,8,12,20,28,32 and 36 weeks. Wasn't too bothered one way or the other about a section but had the midwife been a bit less of a cow, I would have probably given the labour a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

LittleBook wrote: »
    FFS, I know "every pregnancy is different" and we have a two-tier health system here, but how can there be such differences in such a basic and important health care requirement?! Mind ... boggled! :mad:

Totally depends on the resources in the hospital and how many women they have to deal with on a day to day and how over worked the staff are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

People comparing Irish care towards US care, don't you pay crazy money/health insurance premiums in the US? Obviously the standard of care will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Even within one hospital consultants can differ. I specifically returned to mine because she's totally open to discussing all delivery options and supporting my preferences. Others in the same hospital have very different attitudes.

xLexie wrote: »
    People comparing Irish care towards US care, don't you pay crazy money/health insurance premiums in the US? Obviously the standard of care will be higher.
    Not always true. We paid to go privately in Ireland but the experience of a friend in a semi public system in California was a world away from mine from conception to delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

meeeeh wrote: »
    Some women go into it with very unrealistic expectations. Birth is messy and anything but pleasant anyway.

How many posters here have had personal experience of the maternity system in this country? I think a lot of people believe the hype that its the "best in the world". This story is a very extreme one so we have heard about it but every day there are little examples of lousy treatment of women in maternity pre and post natal.

I've had three pregnancies. I could tell you (nearly down to the hour) when each of them was conceived. Some woman actually DO know their bodies better than hospitals, especially those hospitals that give less than the most the most basic level of care.

My 1st pregnancy I went private, had amazing ante-natal care, at least 5 scans, had one at every consultant appointment. A very long labour, which I was forced to endure in a 4 bed room, shared with 3 women and a baby : one in 3rd trimester with twins in for monitoring, one lady in - her baby with her, because she suffered side-effects from her epidural (migraines, Im sure she was delighted to be sharing a room with a labouring woman), and I cant recall why the other lady was there. I was refused gas and air, and would only be moved into a delivery suite if I was getting an epidural. I had wanted a natural birth, but was essentially forced to have an epidural just to get into a delivery suite and out of the shared room. My consultant was fantastic, some of the nurses and midwives were fantastic, one was an out and out b*tch.

2nd baby I decided to go public. Had ONE scan at 6 and a half weeks because I had some early bleeding. Was refused any further scans, but had no problems during the pregnancy. Labour was wonderful, had a fantastic midwife, used tens machine, exercise ball, eventually gas and air, really lovely calm relaxed labour - very positive experience. Until shift changed 30 minutes before push time and I got an completely incompetent absolute battleaxe for a midwife. SHe was shouting at me to push push push, I knew (and I told her) I wasn't ready to push, I could feel my flesh tearing, but she laughed at me and said I absolutely had to push now - so I did.
    I suffered 3rd degree tears, spent over an hour in theatre being stitched up, had to have a spinal block, couldn't pee without crying for over a week and I wont even begin to tell you about other toilet functions. My scar goes further internally than I can feel and I will NEVER be the same again. That bitch came to apologise the next day, said she was 'sure' I wasn't tearing. What a pity she didn't LISTEN to the mother in front of crying that she could FEEL her flesh and some muscles ripping apart. My son has a much larger than average head circumference. Might have been picked up on if I had had more that that 6 week scan.

Also wouldn't it be lovely, for the sake of an hour, I was able to keep my original lovely midwife instead of getting a whole new woman who know NOTHING about me or my very reasonable birthing expectations

Baby number 3 was miraculously conceived, and we went privately, had an elective c-section. COnsultant was fantastic, he was head of Ob/Gyn, and I think they were all still terrified I might sue, so I was treated very very well, and nothing was refused me, I was consulted on every decision.

Moral of my VERY long storey: I believe that the public maternity system is an absolute shambles, level of care is minimal, you are at their mercy and mercy is not a virtue they are well endowed with.
    Private Maternal care is much much much better, you are treated with respect and YOUR OPINIONS are listened to.

The level and standard of care differs so greatly from hospital to hospital and region to region. I get very cross at people who dare to say that the maternity system is good enough, some people will have godd experience, but many many women have nightmare experiences.

On the OT, as I said at the start, I was entirely certain of all my due dates, there was absolutely no chance of error on my part. If the hospital told me my dates were wrong and tried to section me 2 weeks early, they would find me VERY resistent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ash23 wrote: »
    I then had an infection and had to get IV antibiotics. This wasn't explained to me either. Turns out it was MRSA but I only found that out months later when my GP mentioned it.

Are IV antibiotics not automatically given/offered during a section? I needed an emergency section and as part of the paperwork I signed ahead of the surgery it was recommended that I consent to routine administration of antibiotics as rates of infection following section are naturally high. I looked into it afterwards and the research I've seen agrees that IV antibiotics should ideally be a routine part of the surgery.

xLexie wrote: »

Health insurance here has gotten crazy, increases every few months, but the staff and the facilities are exactly the same as going private unless you are willing to go beyond the cover of your health insurance and go to the likes of Mount Carmel.

But if you can afford private health insurance or have the type of job which pays it for you, you may be able to afford to sue if something goes wrong so I really think that factors in how you are treated.

I went public the first time and semi private the second.

iguana wrote: »
    Are IV antibiotics not automatically given/offered during a section? I needed an emergency section and as part of the paperwork I signed ahead of the surgery it was recommended that I consent to routine administration of antibiotics as rates of infection following section are naturally high. I looked into it afterwards and the research I've seen agrees that IV antibiotics should ideally be a routine part of the surgery.

Not at that time they weren't. I had the stiches removed on day 3 and they noticed some infection so they did swabs on day 4 and I had the antibiotics on day 5,6 and 7. I was also on oral antibiotics for 2 weeks after that. I finally got home on day 10.
    Glad to see things have improved since my section. I could have been home a lot earlier if the antibiotics had been given as a routine part of the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

lazygal wrote: »
    Not always true. We paid to go privately in Ireland but the experience of a friend in a semi public system in California was a world away from mine from conception to delivery.
    I saw some stats before and cost of healthcare per patient in US is crazy in comparison to Europe. Most personal bankrupcies are at least partly due to medical bills. It's a great system if you have money. Also infant and maternal mortality rates in US are quite a bit higher. Uk has also higher rates, regardless what method is used. Overall stats are not that great because the standard inside countries isn't uniformal but you have to be careful not to compare above average in one country to average in another. This is a general point but it always bafles me how UK and US are often used as a benchmark when they are deeply unequal, unfair and very often disfunctional societies.

@neyite
    I needed D&c after birth and I was admitted on Friday night and got out on Wednesday. First miscarriage they didn't even bother with a scan because it was too urgent and when I miss carried the second time I got the scan next morning and procedure in the afternoon. The after birth dnc was by far most unpleasant experience so I actually dont believe there is much of an agenda behind it. It strikes me that Galway hospital is either very busy or not very well organized.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

@TipsyGypsy

My son had (and still has) a 99th centile head circumference. There was no way that lad was coming out the natural way through my hips in the position he was in. His head size could have been diagnosed had I been listened to about my almost unbearable early labour and I was scanned.

I would have been, I was told after, an instant candidate for a section had they known. I feel that the very real risk to my life and that of my baby (I heard his heart slow to nothing) was completely avoidable.

My friend is a UK midwife. She was horrified by the things I told her about what is standard care in my local hospital.

Morag wrote: »

Health insurance here has gotten crazy, increases every few months, but the staff and the facilities are exactly the same as going private unless you are willing to go beyond the cover of your health insurance and go to the likes of Mount Carmel.

It would have cost the same amount beyond the cover of insurance to go private in Holles St, the Rotunda or the Coombe as it did in Mount Carmel for us.
    The level of antenatal and postnatal care I got was a world away from my friends' experiences in the public system.

My son's head circumference was also in the 99th centile and there was no talk of a section. They allowed me to go naturally and see how we went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Morag wrote: »
    Totally depends on the resources in the hospital and how many women they have to deal with on a day to day and how over worked the staff are.

That appears to be one element to it Morag, although it's disgraceful that the level of care varies so wildly from one hospital/region to another ... and particularly in the context of this case.

But also there appears (to me) to be an undertone of stubborn refusal to listen to any outside input, whether it's from a GP or the patient.

I must admit, at the beginning of this thread I was of the "why wouldn't she (the woman in question) listen to the experts?" mindset, whereas now I'm more than dubious about the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

LittleBook wrote: »
    That appears to be one element to it Morag, although it's disgraceful that the level of care varies so wildly from one hospital/region to another ... and particularly in the context of this case.

But also there appears (to me) to be an undertone of stubborn refusal to listen to any outside input, whether it's from a GP or the patient.

I must admit, at the beginning of this thread I was of the "why wouldn't she (the woman in question) listen to the experts?" mindset, whereas now I'm more than dubious about the situation.

I think most people would think to listen to the experts, that is until theyve had first hand experience with the so called experts.

I deeply regret having given into hospital pressure and I did because I thought they were the experts, but things would have been very different if I had listened to a three time mother who encouraged me not to give into them. Wish I had listened.

Ok this is getting crazy. Would you give birth just with three time mother present? Would you give birth just with midwife present?

The same attitude endangers thousands or millions of people because some refuse vaccination of their children since some fruitcake told them they don't need it. I'm not saying there are not sub par medical practitioners and practices but there is a reason why medical study is so long and why hospitals don't employ three time mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ok this is getting crazy. Would you give birth just with three time mother present? Would you give birth just with midwife present?

The same attitude endangers thousand or millions of people and refuse vaccination of their children because some fruitcake told them they don't need it. I'm not saying there are not sub par medical practitioners and practices but there is a reason why medical study is so long and why hospitals don't employ three time mothers.

Both my children were born with just a midwife present.

I do think its important to listen to other mothers just to get their experiences. There were a lot of things I didn't know I could ask for/refuse only that after I was told by other mums I could have. Hospitals don't volunteer this information so sometimes you have to rely on people who have been through the system to tell you things you might not be aware of.

Both my children were born with just a midwife present.

I do think its important to listen to other mothers just to get their experiences. There were a lot of things I didn't know I could ask for/refuse only that after I was told by other mums I could have. Hospitals don't volunteer this information so sometimes you have to rely on people who have been through the system to tell you things you might not be aware of.
    Sorry I meant just midwife present in comparison to just three time mother present. I felt perfectly safe with just midwife there, but I wouldn't feel safe with just some untrained bystander no matter how many children they had.

I think there is nothing wrong with getting information and also listening to yourself and your feelings but at one stage you do have to trust somebody who has medical knowledge. There will be always a percentage of professional mistakes but there is very little alternative except to demand better standards and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I think there is nothing wrong with getting information and also listening to yourself and your feelings but at one stage you do have to trust somebody who has medical knowledge. There will be always a percentage of professional mistakes but there is very little alternative except demand better standards.

This. Better standards of care. In each and every individual case across all hospitals regardless of private/public/midwives clinic. That every woman can go into her pregnancy KNOWING that she will be taken care of to highest standard possible, and with the understanding that every pregnancy is different, and every woman is different. Most women know their bodies and SHOULD be listened to when it comes to their healthcare. RESPECT for these women as opposed to the routine dismissal of our thoughts/plans.

Absolutely, Consultants/Doctors/midwives have a very important place in all this, but you say there that at one stage that we have to TRUST somebody who has medical knowledge - Im sorry though, trust is earned. The system is going to have to improve its track record significantly before it can gain my trust again. Until then neither my medical care nor that of my children will be left in the hands of our public health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Sorry I meant just midwife present in comparison to just three time mother present. I felt perfectly safe with just midwife there, but I wouldn't feel safe with just some untrained bystander no matter how many children they had.

I think there is nothing wrong with getting information and also listening to yourself and your feelings but at one stage you do have to trust somebody who has medical knowledge. There will be always a percentage of professional mistakes but there is very little alternative except to demand better standards and practices.

I had midwives. Midwives who didn't listen to their student nurses or their radiologists and that's how I ended up in trouble in the first place.

And I'm sure those people who didn't listen to the experts and refused swine flu vaccinations are very happy with their narcoleptic free children. There are many times the experts get it wrong but when you have a lack of established protocol, there is no comeback from teh patient, because accountability can only be practised when there are deviations from standard protocols. If there are no protocols, there cannot be accountability.

This is not to say that always ignoring the experts is good either, but there is another side to their bullishness in maternity.

In some cases it's pretty clear that what the mother wants is not good enough for the child, we've had a court order come down as soon as this baby is born it becomes award of the court and it's mother will not be it's legal guardian.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hiv-mum-ordered-to-allow-care-for-baby-after-birth-26041916.html

The issues around due dated and C sections is not as clear cut as above and drs do differ.

http://humanrights.ie/gender-sexuality-and-the-law/caesarean-section-refusal-in-ireland/

• Advertisement

Well big part of a problem is that people almost can't be sacked so thee is very little personal responsibility but and it is a big but everybody can have their opinion but very few of us have enough knowledge to weight up all the options.

I'm not even going into swine flu debate because that one wasn't even overly significant. You know exactly what vaccinations I meant.

@morag

But you don't know the details because mother agreed to the procedure "voluntarily" and there was no judgement. There is a great danger that examples are used for some sort of a cause when there is way too little information. In the same way I believe Savita report will be used by both sides when it comes out. One will claim the standard of care in Galway wasn't good enough and the other will claim that stupid laws were at fault and judging by leaks they'll be both "right", they just won't give full picture.

There is due to be an article about the High Court case and consent in tomorrow's Examiner by Victoria White, I am sure it will be interesting.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ash23 wrote: »

Not at that time they weren't. I had the stiches removed on day 3 and they noticed some infection so they did swabs on day 4 and I had the antibiotics on day 5,6 and 7. I was also on oral antibiotics for 2 weeks after that. I finally got home on day 10.
    Glad to see things have improved since my section. I could have been home a lot earlier if the antibiotics had been given as a routine part of the section.

I was not given routine antibiotics during my c-section in may 2012. .

Neyite wrote: »

I was not given routine antibiotics during my c-section in may 2012. .
    I gave birth at the same time by section and no antibiotics were given during or post surgery.

Actually, there's evidence of overuse of antibiotics AFAIK. I'd rather take them if and when they are medically needed, not as a preventative measure.

Actually, there's evidence of overuse of antibiotics AFAIK. I'd rather take them if and when they are medically needed, not as a preventative measure.
    My bf's mother stockpiles them and uses them to medicate anything without seeing GP. I know nothing about how needed they are at c sections but I would be worried about overuse because they could be a lot less effective when you really need them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The procedure is that they use them if your waters are broken for more than 24 hours.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The procedure is that they use them if your waters are broken for more than 24 hours.

My waters never broke so that makes sense.

I was watching one born every minute and I noticed how they asked for consent before so much as laying a hand on the mother. In my experience my permission was rarely asked for, for anything. If I asked for something to be explained there was an element of eye rolling and sighing.

I'm all for listening to medical advice and I personally would listen. But I am also a person in my own right and not a vessel for the unborn child. And I'd prefer if I was asked before being injected or prodded or cut or have a procedure which is going to cause me pain. I'd like to be able to make those kind of decisions for myself with all information to hand. The reason (I think) that some women don't trust medical opinion is because they aren't left feeling in control of what is happening. They are having things done and not being explained or discussed.

I don't think that it is too much to ask for that a woman be given a say in what is done to her body during birth. If her say goes against medical advice (which would be extremely rare I would think) then that is why the courts are there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There certainly is as the more antibiotics are used the more various strains of viruses become resistant to them. However a number of different studies on infection after c-section have concluded that the risk of infection after a section is so high, with the potential for so many negative consequences, that the World Health Organisation recommends administering IV antibiotics as part of the surgical procedure is strongly advised.
    Prophylactic antibiotics will reduce the incidence of endometri-
    tis following both elective and non-elective cesarean section by
    two thirds to three quarters and the incidence of wound infec-
    tion by up to three quarters. Post-partum febrile morbidity and
    the incidence of urinary tract infections are also decreased. Fewer
    serious complications will occur. All units should have a policy
    that recommends the administration of prophylactic antibiotics
    for women undergoing cesarean section.

www.who.int/rhl/reviews/CD000933.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

iguana wrote: »
    There certainly is as the more antibiotics are used the more various strains of viruses become resistant to them.

You mean bacteria? No antibiotic is effective against viruses.

Advertisement