Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite verses / quotes from the Bible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

proverb 3 :
    13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom and the man that getteth understanding;
    14 for the merchandising of it is better than the merchandising of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
    15 She is more precious than rubies, and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared to her.
    16 Length of days is in her right hand, and in her left hand riches and honor.
    17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
    18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her, and happy is everyone that retaineth her.

proverb 14 :27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

11The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down; and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
    12For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up--
    and he shall be brought low"
    13and upon all the cedars of Lebanon that are high and lifted up, and upon all the oaks of Bashan;
    14and upon all the high mountains, and upon all the hills that are lifted up;
    15and upon every high tower, and upon every fortified wall;
    16and upon all the ships of Tarshish, and upon all pleasant sights.
    17And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low; and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day,
    18and the idols He shall utterly abolish.

ISAIAH 2:11 - 18

Psalm 51:17 (KJV): The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

When someone puts down something like Ecclesiastes 3:1–8 What does it refer to exactly?
    Page/Paragraph/Line?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Plowman wrote: »

So it is verses 1 through 8 inclusive?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

As a writer, I often return to the phrase "whatever you do to the least of my brothers" as a resounding theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Even though His Church has been sullied by clerical abuse etc., I trust that God will see her through the current Storm. He will never abandon his Bride!

Douay-Rheims Bible
    And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kjw47

Very wise words of Jesus the son of God---- few do it
    Keep on seeking first the kingdom and his (Jehovah) righteousness, and all will be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Matthew 25.35-40
    "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"

Mark 10.42-45
    "You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all.

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Matthew 6:34
    “do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 5.3-12
    Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
    Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
    Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
    Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Mark 8.34-36
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it.

For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?"

Matthew 5.43-45
    "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

Matthew 7.12
    "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them"

Matthew 22.37-40
    "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all "

Matthew 9:13
    "I have desired compassion and not sacrifice"

Luke 14:11
    "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Luke 6:35
    “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.”

Luke 6:32-36
    “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

This is from today's liturgy and it doesn't get more simple than this. It's all about Love baby yeah!

FIRST READING                Acts of the Apostles 10:25-26. 34-35. 44-48

As Peter reached the house Cornelius went out to meet him, knelt at his feet and prostrated himself. But Peter helped him up. 'Stand up,' he said 'I am only a man after all!'

Then Peter addressed them: 'The truth I have now come to realise' he said 'is that God does not have favourites, but that anybody of any nationality who fears God and does what is right is acceptable to him.'

While Peter was still speaking the Holy Spirit came down on all the listeners. Jewish believers who had accompanied Peter were all astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit should be poured out on the pagans too, since they could hear them speaking strange languages and proclaiming the greatness of God. Peter himself then said, 'Could anyone refuse the water of baptism to these people, now they have received the Holy Spirit just as much as we have?' He then gave orders for them to be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterwards they begged him to stay on for some days.

SECOND READING          1 John 4:7-10

My dear people,
    let us love one another
    since love comes from God
    and everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. 
    Anyone who fails to love can never have known God, 
    because God is love.
    God's love for us was revealed
    when God sent into the world his only Son
    so that we could have life through him;
    this is the love I mean:
    not our love for God,
    but God's love for us when he sent his Son
    to be the sacrifice that takes our sins away.

Gospel Acclamation         Jn 14: 23

Alleluia, alleluia! 
    Jesus said: 'If anyone loves me he will keep my word, 
    and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him.
    Alleluia!

GOSPEL John 15:9-17

Jesus said to his disciples:

'As the Father has loved me,
    so I have loved you. Remain in my love.
    If you keep my commandments
    you will remain in my love,
    just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.
    I have told you this
    so that my own joy may be in you
    and your joy be complete.
    This is my commandment:
    love one another,
    as I have loved you.
    A man can have no greater love
    than to lay down his life for his friends.
    You are my friends,
    if you do what I command you.
    I shall not call you servants any more, because a servant does not know
    his master's business;
    I call you friends,
    because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father. You did not 'choose me,
    no, I chose you;
    and I commissioned you
    to go out and to bear fruit,
    fruit that will last;
    and then the Father will give you 
    anything you ask him in my name. 
    What I command you
    is to love one another.'

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

I'm a rather unoriginal troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've recently started to get back into religion after my father passed away earlier this year. Last weekend I was ruffling through a drawer trying to find some receipts when I stumbled across my copy of the New Testament and Psalms that I was given in secondary school. I left it in the drawer and then this morning when I was feeling anxious, I for some reason remembered it was there and took it out and opened it. It was the first time I'd opened it in years. I was scanning through the first few pages and there was a list of contents of passages to read at various times (depressed, anxious and so on). I'm suffering from anxiety at the moment and this was the first section it suggested and I don't know, but it really seemed to help.

Matthew 6:25-30 New International Version
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭systemsready

Psalms 14:1
    'The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.'

That's the best verse because it determines what atheism represents and so causes a believer to steer very clear of fools and what fools say.

Psalms 14:1

G-Money wrote: »
    I've recently started to get back into religion after my father passed away earlier this year. Last weekend I was ruffling through a drawer trying to find some receipts when I stumbled across my copy of the New Testament and Psalms that I was given in secondary school. I left it in the drawer and then this morning when I was feeling anxious, I for some reason remembered it was there and took it out and opened it. It was the first time I'd opened it in years. I was scanning through the first few pages and there was a list of contents of passages to read at various times (depressed, anxious and so on). I'm suffering from anxiety at the moment and this was the first section it suggested and I don't know, but it really seemed to help.

Matthew 6:25-30 New International Version

God rest your father.

Good reminder with the scriptures..thanks.

mrac wrote: »
    I'm a rather unoriginal troll.

Thats ok..you are in good company here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 speak2julie

But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.’ Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

‘Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom his favour rests.’

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.’ So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.

(Luke 2:10-19)

I particularly love verse 19 - But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I really like this.

1 Corinthians 13:
    If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

G-Money wrote: »
    I really like this.

1 Corinthians 13:

One of the best!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

1 Corinthians 13: used it at my wedding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Miserere - Psalm 51.

It reminds me of my sinfulness and God's Mercy.
    Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness.
    In your compassion blot out my offense.
    O wash me more and more from my guilt and cleanse me from my sin.
    My offenses truly I know them; my sin is always before me.
    Against you, you alone, have I sinned;
    what is evil in your sight I have done.
    That you may be justified when you give sentence and be without reproach when you judge.
    O see, in guilt was I born, a sinner was I conceived.
    Indeed you love truth in the heart; then in the secret of my heart teach me wisdom.
    O purify me, then I shall be clean; O wash me, I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear rejoicing and gladness, that the bones you have crushed may revive.
    From my sins turn away your face and blot out all my guilt.
    A pure heart create for me, O God, put a steadfast spirit within me.
    Do not cast me away from your presence, nor deprive me of your holy spirit.
    Give me again the joy of your help; with a spirit of fervor sustain me,
    that I may teach transgressors your ways and sinners may return to you. O rescue me, God, my helper, and my tongue shall ring out your goodness. O Lord, open my lips and my mouth shall declare your praise.
    For in sacrifice you take no delight, burnt offering from me you would refuse;
    my sacrifice, a contrite spirit. A humbled, contrite heart you will not spurn. In your goodness, show favor to Zion: rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
    Then you will be pleased with lawful sacrifice, holocausts offered on your altar.

"And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me,
    conforming wholly to My example in living and,
    if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me.
    Whoever finds his [lower] life will lose it [the higher life], and whoever loses his [lower] life on My account will find it [the higher life]"....
    Matthew 10:38-39 The Amplified Translation

614823_308852552568643_2067017926_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Ecclesiastes 3:11
    He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God hath done from the beginning even to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I would also like to add a hymn which originates from King Solomon's conclusion to the Book of Proverbs (Proverbs 31). It is customarily sang by a husband to his wife on the eve of the Sabbath and I think that it's a really beautiful custom :) Below are the words, but it can also be heard in Hebrew online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNSG1Kub8U

A Woman of Valor, who can find? She is more precious than corals.
    Her husband places his trust in her and profits only thereby.
    She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
    She seeks out wool and flax and cheerfully does the work of her hands.
    She is like the trading ships, bringing food from afar.
    She gets up while it is still night to provide food for her household, and a fair share for her staff.
    She considers a field and purchases it, and plants a vineyard with the fruit of her labors.
    She invests herself with strength and makes her arms powerful.
    She senses that her trade is profitable; her light does not go out at night.
    She stretches out her hands to the distaff and her palms hold the spindle.
    She opens her hands to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.
    She has no fear of the snow for her household, for all her household is dressed in fine clothing.
    She makes her own bedspreads; her clothing is of fine linen and luxurious cloth.
    Her husband is known at the gates, where he sits with the elders of the land.
    She makes and sells linens; she supplies the merchants with sashes.
    She is robed in strength and dignity, and she smiles at the future.
    She opens her mouth with wisdom and a lesson of kindness is on her tongue.
    She looks after the conduct of her household and never tastes the bread of laziness.
    Her children rise up and make her happy; her husband praises her:
    "Many women have excelled, but you excell them all!"
    Grace is elusive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears God -- she shall be praised.
    Give her credit for the fruit of her labors, and let her achievements praise her at the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SeanBeach

Romans 8:14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.[f] And by him we cry, “Abba,[g] Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 evangelist

“And I (Jesus) will pray (to) the Father, and He will give you another Helper,
    that He may abide with you forever -- the Spirit of truth
    … you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
    I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
    … If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,
    and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
    … But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
    He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” (John 14:16-26)

The Greek word here for "another" is "allos" meaning "another of the same kind" (ref: Vine).
    So, the Holy Spirit is another Person of the Triune Godhead (like God the Son).
    It seems to say that ...
    all 3 Persons of the Triune God will come to be with the faithful believer,
    but only the Holy Spirit will remain in him/her forever (i.e. until death),
    and only the Holy Spirit will be the One doing the teaching.
    Interesting, or what?

Advertisement