Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Drove an Automatic for the first time (properly) yesterday. I guess it could be semi-auto as you could change the gears by pressing the stick to the right to go up or to the left go down. Tried it both ways, but left it as the auto. You do kind of feel disconnected from the whole driving experience, as if you have nothing to do! Was very easy to drive though so you could get used to it, kept forgetting there isnt any clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    Draw on the dust of the bonnet of my car? Sure why not do it while I'm in the f*cking car!!! :rolleyes:

Did that actually happen :eek::eek:

I hope you beeped the horn :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Another week and another car from my house being damaged. This time they busted the door lock, ignition barrel and steering. Excellent stuff once again.

Tried to take it so then and obviously being the knuts they are did the maximum amount of damage in the process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have a nice night vision scope that I have been dying to attach to my compound bow.

See you in court!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Confab wrote: »
    See you in court!

Why? Are you trying to rob his car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bought something that's not a honda !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Good thing I'm sitting down! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Camskill are legends. Rang them about getting my exact tyre and was then emailing them back and forth for half an hour with prompt responses every time. Even though my tyre is discontinued, he found one in Plymouth for me and it's on it's way. Great stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Anyone have any good ideas on masking awkward areas when painting? I'm doing my calipers and disc hubs tomorrow and will be using spray paint as opposed to a tin and brush and I don't want paint to get on the rear of the pads as they are exposed in places.

I will be using tin foil and masking tape mainly but an idea I had was to put a very thin film of vaseline on the exposed pads parts so paint won't stick and I can just wipe it off afterwards but I'd be happy to hear other ideas.

Honestly, take the calipers off. An excuse to change the fluid afterwards.

In other news, I'm starting to go out of my tiny brain. I must get some peace and quiet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Got my race number today, 91 :)

Won't be taking them off as I need the car as soon as possible after the job is done and trying to get them back on with fresh paint is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CianRyan wrote: »
    Waiting to board my plane to Paris, not yet shagged.
    Good morning, all.
    pred racer wrote: »
    Welcome to Paris dude, If there is anything I can help you with while ur here, drop me a pm.

Think it's obvious what he needs help with :pac:
    Some might say they're tacky but meh. :p

20130301_053757_zps5672263d.jpg
    Where were those when PG was around? :D

I have a nice night vision scope that I have been dying to attach to my compound bow.
    Can't believe I had no idea you were into archery....
    An Acura? :pac:
    I will be using tin foil and masking tape mainly but an idea I had was to put a very thin film of vaseline on the exposed pads parts so paint won't stick and I can just wipe it off afterwards but I'd be happy to hear other ideas.

Usual stuff is newspaper & masking tape or similar... dgt is right though, if you take them off you'll have a much better job. And we all know you're far too OCD to do a half-arsed job :D

Usual stuff is newspaper & masking tape or similar... dgt is right though, if you take them off you'll have a much better job. And we all know you're far too OCD to do a half-arsed job :D

I know that taking them off would be better and believe me, I would love to but it's just not an option.

Need at least 3 new (part worn) tyres as the balljoints were never changed before and I'm only after having a good gawk at the inside thread. Ruined! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Where were those when PG was around? :D

Probably still using them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I know that taking them off would be better and believe me, I would love to but it's just not an option.
    Wait until it is an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

No advertising please.

Feel free to put a link in your sig.It would be a better option.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Wait until it is an option?

That would mean leaving the car on axle stands for 24 hours then trying to get the calipers back on without damaging the paint. Also, I don't have fresh brake fluid nor do I want to go to that hassle.

All I want to do is find out the best way of easily masking the pads for fook sake :pac:

dgt wrote: »

In other news, I'm starting to go out of my tiny brain. I must get some peace and quiet :(

..... Best of luck with that :)
    Do get some though, knowing you must is almost there so fair play :)

• Advertisement

All I want to do is find out the best way of easily masking the pads for fook sake :pac:

Vaseline not too bad for that, or plastidip the bit of the pads and scratch it off afterwards? Presume paint won't penetrate plastidip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Drove to Sligo and back today. Great to give the motor some quality cruising time.

Never getting a car without cruise control again.

Or climate control.

Or leather :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Discovered tonight that my car was leaking a small bit of oil a few drops. Looked the rubber intercooler pipe is leaking and I need a new one. Ill have to head in to ford garage tomorrow hopefully they have them in stock would they normally stock them kinds of parts? God knows how much that pipe will cost its a bit of a pain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

That would mean leaving the car on axle stands for 24 hours then trying to get the calipers back on without damaging the paint. Also, I don't have fresh brake fluid nor do I want to go to that hassle.

Newspaper and lots of it

BrakePads2.jpg

It's how i would do it anyway, considered powdercoating but in fairness you gotta remove all the seals from the calipers and buy a new set and etc etc

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but most parts departments in dealerships don't operate on Saturdays.

SG - I use tin foil instead of newspaper because I find it shapes easier and is easier to work with. There's just bits of the pads exposed when you look at the caliper as normal. It's these that I want to cover but newspaper won't work but just thinking about it now I could use masking tape and cut around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but most parts departments in dealerships don't operate on Saturdays.

I know the ford dealer in Kilkenny opens till 1. The service department doesn't but parts does open. Hopefully they have the part in stock and hopefully it doesn't cost too much. It's only a rubber hose but I suppose that doesn't mean it will be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was at the gym yesterday and the Munster rugby team were training there, i can confirm one of them owns a GT86 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was at the gym yesterday and the Munster rugby team were training there, i can confirm one of them owns a GT86 :D

Simon zebo got one for free from cogans for the year (blue)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

indeed, it was navy, didnt really suit it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Mc Love wrote: »
    Drove an Automatic for the first time (properly) yesterday. I guess it could be semi-auto as you could change the gears by pressing the stick to the right to go up or to the left go down. Tried it both ways, but left it as the auto. You do kind of feel disconnected from the whole driving experience, as if you have nothing to do! Was very easy to drive though so you could get used to it, kept forgetting there isnt any clutch!
    I bought an absolutely mint, and I mean mint, 90k miles Avensis 1.8 petrol automatic today, it's an 01, could pass for a 09 on condition. Utterly, totally, the best used car I have ever driven. Not a scratch, mark or scuff anywhere. Not one rattle and the auto-box is smooth as silk. I am now wondering why I ever left Toyota, ever bought a manual and ever paid big money for a car. Cost? €1250.00 and I would not swap it for a 131 anything. Very, very happy camper at the mo.:):):) Brand new NCT and a months tax. Happy days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement