Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

Don;t forget as part of the Toll Bye-Laws that there must be a toll-free alternative.

In This case with Rice bridge being closed there is no Toll Free alternative therefore the barriers must be lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The old N8 through Fermoy flooded last year and there was no question of tolls being waived on the M8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The old N8 through Fermoy flooded last year and there was no question of tolls being waived on the M8 :(

I would have said that this would be considered an "Act of God" as opposed to a planned closure for an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Anyone noticed the junction numbers that have appeared on the signage on the N25 Waterford Bypass?

W1, W2 etc.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

alinton wrote: »
    Anyone noticed the junction numbers that have appeared on the signage on the N25 Waterford Bypass?

W1, W2 etc.

A.

Sounds similar to the ones in Sligo (which are S1, S2 etc.). Obviously a way to give temporary numbers to junctions which can be replaced in the event of a full grade separated road being built.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seen them in a good few places now, but the signage on the bypass has much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

From using the city bypass a lot can anybody tell me why it was build as a motorway as it will need to be one in time. I know there was talk of it being built as one but it didn't happen. What sort of costs would be involved in classing it as a motorway as IMO all it needs is blue signs and it will be grand. There is a few bends but nothing major and to stop it being a motorway.

Don't get this crap of such back words planning done in this country, if you going to build a bypass then do it right and not this high quality dual carriageway rubbish, should of being a motorway form day 1.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    From using the city bypass a lot can anybody tell me why it was build as a motorway as it will need to be one in time. I know there was talk of it being built as one but it didn't happen. What sort of costs would be involved in classing it as a motorway as IMO all it needs is blue signs and it will be grand. There is a few bends but nothing major and to stop it being a motorway.

Don't get this crap of such back words planning done in this country, if you going to build a bypass then do it right and not this high quality dual carriageway rubbish, should of being a motorway form day 1.

It was built as a HQDC like all the other Inter Urbans, which were re-classified. So all it needs is a few different signs, some line painting, a Ministeral order and Hey Presto it's a Motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The reason given at the time for not making it a motorway was that the NRA didn't want short stretches of motorway dotted around the country. I don't quite know how this makes sense, as there are plenty of such short stretches elsewhere.

If there's no motorway order attached to it, it means that a developer could well just apply to build 600 houses and have the entrance off the bypass, and then you're into another planning mess. Not going to happen any time soon, but wait until all this is forgotten and Fianna Fáil are back in power!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fricatus wrote: »
    The reason given at the time for not making it a motorway was that the NRA didn't want short stretches of motorway dotted around the country. I don't quite know how this makes sense, as there are plenty of such short stretches elsewhere.

And there's the fact that this is supposed to be a bypass, making it a motorway reduces access to certain classes of road users. I hope if GCOB is ever built that it will not be motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

antoobrien wrote: »

And there's the fact that this is supposed to be a bypass, making it a motorway reduces access to certain classes of road users. I hope if GCOB is ever built that it will not be motorway.

Agreed. I think that once the M17/M18, the M11 gap and the M20 are built we will have more than enough motorway for our needs.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Agreed. I think that once the M17/M18, the M11 gap and the M20 are built we will have more than enough motorway for our needs.

I think there's a need for at least HQDC, if not full m/way between Cork & Rosslare, but yes there's very little need for motorway.

That said, classifying roads as motorway is useful in curbing development, even better if they're classified before the act to stop developers from buying up land.

Well if it was a motorway it would improve journey times between Cork-Rosslare and other areas of Waterford to Dublin etc. I would use it more if it was a motorway but I have a real problem paying for a toll for a road that is not a motorway and the fact currently going through the city is more less the same give or take a few minutes outside peak times.

This bull about the NRA not wanting motorways dotted around the counrty when why is the N11 a motorway one minute and then dual carrageway.

BTW the plan is/was to have a dual carrageway or Motorway between Waterford and Rosslare and if funding wasn't stopped construction would of started later this year. The M17,8,20,25 was suposed to be part of the ARC between Donegal and Waterford and all to be motorway from Truim-Waterford.

Take the M50 being classed as a motorway when its not as you can't do motorway speeds, should be re classed as N50 but wonder why NRA won't do that....

Anoher ting the NRA didn't want the M9 to be a motorway between Carlow and Waterford but they were pushed into the decision. It just shows what sort of P**** are working there.

The M17 between Galway and Tuam will be just over 30 km and the Waterford bypass is around 25km so why are the NRA contradicting themselves??

This bull about the NRA not wanting motorways dotted around the counrty when why is the N11 a motorway one minute and then dual carrageway.

Because the northern section isn't motorway standard, then you have motorway, then you have the M11 gap which will be filled AS motorway, then you have the motorway Gorey bypass, and eventually M11 past Enniscorthy.

The only reason the M11 is patchwork at the moment is because Arklow - Rathnew hasn't been built yet. There was never a plan to do Cork - Rosslare as motorway, mostly as 2+2 with some Type 1 DC.

Anoher ting the NRA didn't want the M9 to be a motorway between Carlow and Waterford but they were pushed into the decision. It just shows what sort of P**** are working there.

The N6 wasn't supposed to be motorway standard either, but Dempsey asked was there any technical reason why the N6 & N9 couldn't be motorway. When he was told the HQDC was up to motorway standard, he published motorway orders to the N6 & N9 (at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭jd

Take the M50 being classed as a motorway when its not as you can't do motorway speeds, should be re classed as N50 but wonder why NRA won't do that....

It's an urban motorway, with narrower lanes, and some exits are quite close to each other. Are you seriously suggesting it should be declassified and opened to cyclists, animals and pedestrians because the limit is 100k?

If you travel on motorways/autostrada/autobahns/freeways etc abroad you'll notice that the speed limits may vary. 120km/hr is just the default speed for motorways in Ireland.

Quite a lot of the N11 is not up to motorway standard or has private entrances north of Rathnew. I presume they designated the Rathnew section as motorway so that when the Arklow-Rathnew gap is finished you'll have continuous motorway from Coynes Cross to south of Gorey (and South of Enniscorthy when the next scheme is completed in God know when)

jd wrote: »
    It's an urban motorway, with narrower lanes, and some exits are quite close to each other. Are you seriously suggesting it should be declassified and opened to cyclists, animals and pedestrians because the limit isn't 100k?

If you travel on motorways/autostrada/autobahns/freeways etc abroad you'll notice that the speed limits may vary. 120km/hr is just the default speed for motorways in Ireland.

It should be classed as high quality dual carriageway like the Waterford bypass.

Even if its not classed as a motorway the local authorities can pass special speed limit by-laws permitting dual carriageways of 120km/h. It has being done on the N1, N22 and N25 already. The city bypass is like the joke speeds on the outer ring road. You can go faster on a country sub standred road compared to the outer ring road.

It should be classed as high quality dual carriageway like the Waterford bypass.

Why do you suggest that?

HQDC is a design spec. Something may be built to HQDC spec and then classed as a motorway. The M50 rightly operates under motorway restrictions.

Old thread, but anyway. No more movement on any N25 section :(

Just wondering... which junctions are W1, W2, W3 etc. I've been down there loads of times but can't remember. Can someone point out which one is W1, W2, W3 via a Google maps link? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Old thread, but anyway. No more movement on any N25 section :(

Just wondering... which junctions are W1, W2, W3 etc. I've been down there loads of times but can't remember. Can someone point out which one is W1, W2, W3 via a Google maps link? Thanks.

Jus the New Ross bypass from being build in 2015, open by 2017.

Just two junctions on city bypass.

W2 - Waterford (South), Airport, Tramore
    W1 - Waterford (North), Dublin, Limerick

Coming from Cork side W2 first junction and W1 coming from Rosslare side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was on the Waterford bypass for the first time this week - great road, but why not a motorway (or at least a 120 limit like the N25 into Cork)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

loyatemu wrote: »
    I was on the Waterford bypass for the first time this week - great road, but why not a motorway (or at least a 120 limit like the N25 into Cork)?

I've often wondered this too. It is certainly in a much better condition than the Middleton to Cork stretch.

Should be 120km/h if only the local authority would do something about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

I drive this road most mornings and it should be 120km/h the route is built to motorway standard! Hopefully the short route between the Waterford City bypass and the New Ross bypass will progress to have 2+2 from Kilmeadan to east of New Ross!

Could easily be 120kmh, thats for sure. As for motorway, it would work as a reclassficiation, however the NRA originally said they didn't want isolated stretches of motorway so thats why they didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Could easily be 120kmh, thats for sure. As for motorway, it would work as a reclassficiation, however the NRA originally said they didn't want isolated stretches of motorway so thats why they didn't do that.

It already has signs up saying "no cyclist, pedestrians, horses" - not much of a jump to make it full motorway.

It already has signs up saying "no cyclist, pedestrians, horses" - not much of a jump to make it full motorway.

That only covers the bridge and the junctions linking it either side of it, so most of the bypass allows pedestrians, horses, cyclists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Should be 120km/h if only the local authority would do something about it!
    Not up to the LA -- it's the NRA that looks after that.

• Advertisement

The N22 in Cork have a around 20km section of dual carriageway upgraded in addition to the N25 as already said.

Wouldn't expect the NRA are to bothered or willing to act!

Advertisement