Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society Outing - Esker Hills 23rd February 2013 10:30AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He is off 5 and that's a cracking score from 5 well done there must of been some champagne golf played .

Delicious round of golf Ricky!!!!

Well done.

Who said only high handicappers win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

We couldn't have got a nicer day for February, and the course was in great nick for the time of year. Thanks to denisoc16 and staker, really enjoy the gave lads. Unfortunately my short game was dismal, so I was happy enough with 30 points considering I had 3 scratches and 4 1 pointers. Congrats Ricky, great scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rida

Charlie IRL - any chance you can put everyones score up when you get a chance - please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well lads, we are up and running and thankfully the first event went away without any hitches thank god.
    The course was in excellent condition and we were made feel very welcome to Esker Hills so many thanks to them.

To the business end;
    First with a fantastic 3 over par round and a score of 38points off 5 was RICKYLOVESUALL, well done dude. Unreal shooting.
    Second was 3PUTT with a great score of 34 points and
    Third was BALLYK with another great score of 33.

Well done lads.

We had 4 score deuces on the day:
    RICKYLOVESUALL
    FIXDEPITCHMARK
    JDESAY
    DENISOC16

Many thanks to my playing partners who had to witness my terrible golf, it was a great day out and I think everyone enjoyed it even though its not the easiest courses to play.

Onwards and upwards and see ye all at the next event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rida wrote: »
    Charlie IRL - any chance you can put everyones score up when you get a chance - please?

Scores will be put up on teamer, where members of the society can log in to see them using there email address or mobile number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Fair play to all involved ! Looking at the pics posted I was gutted I couldn't make the trip up to play. What was the longest return trip time ? I reckon some of the Cork lads must have been about 13 hrs ! ??

What did the winners get ? besides the bragging rights :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Really enjoyed the round today,played with denisoc16 and dwd. Long game was brutal today,short game saved the card somewhat.
    Denis played great stuff on the back 9 when he went on a bit of a run including a blade on the 13th to 7 foot*, Dwd had some savage stuff off the boxes and some great strikes. Want a new set of MP-59's:(

Congrats to Ricky,3 over gross is savage going,nice to see a "real" golfer win.

*it was a cracker of a 7 iron!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Fair play to all involved ! Looking at the pics posted I was gutted I couldn't make the trip up to play. What was the longest return trip time ? I reckon some of the Cork lads must have been about 13 hrs ! ??

What did the winners get ? besides the bragging rights :P

Prizes are given out at the next outing ,

I reckon it was around 9-10 ours for the cork boys , in saying the I left the house at 8 this morning and got home for 8 as we had a committee meeting after the event

• Registered Users Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So my first Boards outing in Esker Hills – very welcoming and very well organised by captain and committee. Sorry for inadvertently joining into a committee meeting and not knowing it was a meeting (lol). Nobody impolite enough to tell me to “F%ck Off” .
    A great course and you can see why Shane turned out to be such a versatile golfer, every shot in the bag can be played in Esker Hills. Thanks for the two lads CharlieIRL and Thinks Too Much for the guide around the course– the two lads hit solid balls. Charlie showed me great lines, but he has his own way of going around some of the deltas on the course. We all had great holes at some stage.

It is a difficult course and Rickylovesyouall , that is in the Gods - that scoring around there. You were bang on, it is accuracy not distance – I learned this all too quickly on the way around.
    One of the lads was saying, he told his partner that he is meeting lads online to play golf, she told him , “but what if they are mad”. The truth is in that somewhere. There were accents from the south and midlands and Dublin - a worrying rumour that there is no Internet West of the Shannon. ;)

So we are all golf mad, golf injuries and time issues and babies and wives and trying to fit it all in. We have found people online, who first of all play golf, secondly read and write about golf, thirdly have friends that don’t all play golf. It is just great, a new world, a bit of a laugh.
    So onwards and upwards, back out searching for the answers, to our golfing dreams and questions.

At 1800 hrs on the M4, snow started to fall – a perfectly timed day, one to remember.

So my first Boards outing in Esker Hills – very welcoming and very well organised by captain and committee. Sorry for inadvertently joining into a committee meeting and not knowing it was a meeting (lol). Nobody impolite enough to tell me to “F%ck Off” .
    A great course and you can see why Shane turned out to be such a versatile golfer, every shot in the bag can be played in Esker Hills. Thanks for the two lads CharlieIRL and Thinks Too Much for the guide around the course– the two lads hit solid balls. Charlie showed me great lines, but he has his own way of going around some of the deltas on the course. We all had great holes at some stage.

It is a difficult course and Rickylovesyouall , that is in the Gods - that scoring around there. You were bang on, it is accuracy not distance – I learned this all too quickly on the way around.
    One of the lads was saying, he told his partner that he is meeting lads online to play golf, she told him , “but what if they are mad”. The truth is in that somewhere. There were accents from the south and midlands and Dublin - a worrying rumour that there is no Internet West of the Shannon. ;)

So we are all golf mad, golf injuries and time issues and babies and wives and trying to fit it all in. We have found people online, who first of all play golf, secondly read and write about golf, thirdly have friends that don’t all play golf. It is just great, a new world, a bit of a laugh.
    So onwards and upwards, back out searching for the answers, to our golfing dreams and questions.

At 1800 hrs on the M4, snow started to fall – a perfectly timed day, one to remember.

In relation to the committee meeting all voices are heard its not a closed shop and open to everyone so no one would of told you to sling your hook :D

Now onto the business end of things your drive off the first tee ,

I reckon you were about 280 yard of a carry on that first tee and you went flying into the bushes from the tee , it was a monster of a drive

242391.jpg

• Advertisement

In relation to the committee meeting all voices are heard its not a closed shop and open to everyone so no one would of told you to sling your hook :D

Now onto the business end of things your drive off the first tee ,

I reckon you were about 280 yard of a carry on that first tee and you went flying into the bushes from the tee , it was a monster of a drive

242391.jpg

Lol our technical guru.

N.a. green tees - nobody on boards hits 300 yrd drives.

A weather station error.

Lol our technical guru.

N.a. green tees - nobody on boards hits 300 yrd drives.

A weather station error.

Thats is them , the blues and whites are towards the back ,

The mythical boards 300 mark , I blame the cold air myself :p

Thats is them , the blues and whites are towards the back ,

The mythical boards 300 mark , I blame the cold air myself :p
    27pts full stop.

2nd one went out too, lol. That is brain dead.

Me bad back is great for driving (All over Offaly). No more talk of that.

Thanks again Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

now that I'm back from the christening I can actually post, but not a big one because we're just on a break before we go out again, lol

First of all big thank you to Ben1977 and Reganovski! We had mighty craic all the way around. Also, keep an eye out for both of them in future outings because they are incredible hitters of the golf ball. I thought Regan in particular was going to challenge me for the gross to start with :)

I didnt play great, but I scored well! That was really how it went down from my perspective

birdied the 1st and made a couple of great up and downs to keep me 1 under for the first 4, but then I bogeyed 5,6 and 7 and thought it was going to be one of those days, but made another great up and down on 8 and then made a ridiculous putt for a birdie on the 9th and I was still only +1 for the front 9.

Picked up another couple of good birdies on the back 9, but had a scatter of stupid bogeys in there aswell.

Overall had a really great day out and I cant wait to get down to Thurles in a months time!

When charlieIRL text me to congratulate me on my score, I thought I might have snuck the gross prize. Very surprised to hear that I had won the competition outright.
    Forward tees and perfect conditions, I really expected a couple of 40's to have come in, but I'm delighted to win!

Let this be my acceptance speech ;)

Looking forward to playing off 3 for the next outing, lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Also, thank you to everyone for all your praise. I'm floating on air here, haha ;)

we'll see if I can do it again on a course I dont know the next time, lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

now that I'm back from the christening I can actually post, but not a big one because we're just on a break before we go out again, lol

First of all big thank you to Ben1977 and Reganovski! We had mighty craic all the way around. Also, keep an eye out for both of them in future outings because they are incredible hitters of the golf ball. I thought Regan in particular was going to challenge me for the gross to start with :)

I didnt play great, but I scored well! That was really how it went down from my perspective

birdied the 1st and made a couple of great up and downs to keep me 1 under for the first 4, but then I bogeyed 5,6 and 7 and thought it was going to be one of those days, but made another great up and down on 8 and then made a ridiculous putt for a birdie on the 9th and I was still only +1 for the front 9.

Picked up another couple of good birdies on the back 9, but had a scatter of stupid bogeys in there aswell.

Overall had a really great day out and I cant wait to get down to Thurles in a months time!

When charlieIRL text me to congratulate me on my score, I thought I might have snuck the gross prize. Very surprised to hear that I had won the competition outright.
    Forward tees and perfect conditions, I really expected a couple of 40's to have come in, but I'm delighted to win!

Let this be my acceptance speech ;)

Looking forward to playing off 3 for the next outing, lol :D

Thanks Lads got the company, really relaxing. Rickylovesuall showed us how the game should be played today. Doesn't matter how long you hit it, it still has to get into that small hole.
    38pts is a great score.

Great course, thanks to the committee again for the organisation.

They even have the power to change the weather!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Well lads, we are up and running and thankfully the first event went away without any hitches thank god.
    The course was in excellent condition and we were made feel very welcome to Esker Hills so many thanks to them.

To the business end;
    First with a fantastic 3 over par round and a score of 38points off 5 was RICKYLOVESUALL, well done dude. Unreal shooting.
    Second was 3PUTT with a great score of 34 points and
    Third was BALLYK with another great score of 33.

Well done lads.

We had 4 score deuces on the day:
    RICKYLOVESUALL
    FIXDEPITCHMARK
    JDESAY
    DENISOC16

Many thanks to my playing partners who had to witness my terrible golf, it was a great day out and I think everyone enjoyed it even though its not the easiest courses to play.

Onwards and upwards and see ye all at the next event.

Lads bit of a mistake ,

There was a card not totted up and when being entered into the machine there now it turns out that the 1st,2nd,3rd is actually

1st
    RICKYLOVESUALL (38)
    2nd
    DickiDaly (35)
    3rd
    3Putt (34)

Anything over 30 for a first time there is good going imo.

Lads im clutching now. How does the 2s work.

Head for a pint now, may as well keep going. Long day.

Lads, no offence - from now on if cards are not totalled before being handed up they are not going to be counted. We have enough to be doing before and after an outing without having to complete cards.

Anything over 30 for a first time there is good going imo.

Lads im clutching now. How does the 2s work.

Head for a pint now, may as well keep going. Long day.

The pot collected on the day is divided between everyone who had a 2. If its not won its carried over to the next event

• Advertisement

The pot collected on the day is divided between everyone who had a 2. If its not won its carried over to the next event

So/ 4. Ill buy a pint so. How much is it, or is it in ECB till 2028. Lol.

So/ 4. Ill buy a pint so. How much is it, or is it in ECB till 2028. Lol.

22 players in it , so that 44 by 4 winners , 11 quid a man , have two pints :eek:

Well that is great. Nothing like an integer when needed.

So into town . 2 pints at 5.50.

Sign off . Thanks lads.

Can't post after 2 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Well that is great. Nothing like an integer when needed.

So into town . 2 pints at 5.50.

Sign off . Thanks lads.

Can't post after 2 pints.

Why stop now:D

scubapro wrote: »
    Wh stop now:D

let's just say, there was some on course moderation.

The human touch. (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Lads, no offence - from now on if cards are not totalled before being handed up they are not going to be counted. We have enough to be doing before and after an outing without having to complete cards.

Not part of the Society so excuse my interference, but surely all cards have to be checked ! And in so doing all cards are totalled by the person or persons checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Great to see that you all had a great day.

Will try and join you all for one of the outings later in the year( shift work and the 4 year old will restrict Saturday play).

mafc wrote: »
    Not part of the Society so excuse my interference, but surely all cards have to be checked ! And in so doing all cards are totalled by the person or persons checking.

Sorry, I'm not in a good humour at the moment after the cock up today so forgive me but would like to tell you to come next time to see how we pick a date that suits the masses, organise the event, collect the money, mark the entry list, write out the cards, set the lads out at the appropriate times and make sure everyone has a decent day out while trying to play a round ourselves, pack the clubs back into the car and get a bite to eat before sifting through 32 odd cards to see who came where, who had a two etc. before everyone goes home. Marking a total on a card is the least we can ask. (Again I stress this is not aimed at anyone but we appreciate any help we can get)

Apologies if I seem harsh but its a little to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You are dead right Charlie. In a club comp if you don't fill out the card properly you are disqualified so its not like you are asking for lads to do anything extraordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Sorry, I'm not in a good humour at the moment after the cock up today so forgive me but would like to tell you to come next time to see how we pick a date that suits the masses, organise the event, collect the money, mark the entry list, write out the cards, set the lads out at the appropriate times and make sure everyone has a decent day out while trying to play a round ourselves, pack the clubs back into the car and get a bite to eat before sifting through 32 odd cards to see who came where, who had a two etc. before everyone goes home. Marking a total on a card is the least we can ask. (Again I stress this is not aimed at anyone but we appreciate any help we can get)

Apologies if I seem harsh but its a little to ask.

Been there done that & still wearing the t-shirt, ...........looks like no one checks the cards then.

Advertisement