Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Kathmandu in in Nepal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

zerks wrote: »
    Another Tibetan Monk sets himself on fire in Katmandu,Tibet earlier today in protest over China's rule.
    That's 100 now, apparently still alive in hospital, poor lad.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

Okay, some f those pictures are really touching

World Press Photo Of The Year

01_paul-hansen.jpg?w=735
    20 November 2012, Gaza City, Palestinian Territories. Two-year-old Suhaib Hijazi and her three-year-old brother Muhammad were killed when their house was destroyed by an Israeli missile strike. Their father, Fouad, was also killed and their mother was put in intensive care. Fouad’s brothers carry his children to the mosque for the burial ceremony as his body is carried behind on a stretcher.

Lots of different categorys^.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Number 2 in that contest
    3_4.jpg
    interrogation
    31 July 2012

Aleppo, Syria

Opposition fighters regularly launched operations to seize suspected government informants after dark. Two informants were captured, declared guilty under interrogation, and tortured throughout the night; tired fighters had to be replaced so the torture could continue. After 48, hours the captives were released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

World Press Photo Of The Year
    Lots of different categorys^.

That looks air brushed to ****, and really fake because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

That looks air brushed to ****, and really fake because of it.

I don't agree. There are many tools for digitally processing images that replace or build upon techniques that were once the preserve of the technician in a film lab. Altering light and tone, which has been done very well in the winning image, is not the same as airbrushing or removing objects, and most of the time - certainly in this case - enhances the ' feel ' of the picture.

Edit : Just looking at it again, the shadows created by the balconies on the wall suggest it was taken early in the morning or later in the evening when the light would be softer anyway. The foreground looks to be brightened slightly ( unlikely to have been a flash, although it's possible) The color balance and saturation look to be changed to reflect the sallow complexion of those poor children's bodies. Its a legitimate and powerful effect to enhance the feeling of mourning and grief I think. All of this could have been achieved with slide film, a TTL flash and post processing, although the timing and light metering would have been difficult. Its well composed and, as the judging panel said, the contrast of angry grieving faces with the children's is a very strong one. Nothing airbrushed or fake - quite the opposite IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

How, exactly, does one go about understanding the absence of a house? People, after all, can’t abide losing even one small item of their property, like their keys, or phone. Think about having it all taken away.

3007133138.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I know i'm pushing the "shook the world" part but UK/Ireland at night:

BDLTixtCIAAuF-1.jpg:large
    If any of you are on twitter, you should follow https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield He is on the Space Station and has uploaded some amazing photos of his view of Earth:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guttenberg wrote: »
    I know i'm pushing the "shook the world" part but UK/Ireland at night:

BDLTixtCIAAuF-1.jpg:large
    If any of you are on twitter, you should follow https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield He is on the Space Station and has uploaded some amazing photos of his view of Earth:)

Not to mention, the Northern Lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

"The Sknyliv airshow disaster occurred on 27 July 2002 when a Ukrainian Air Force Sukhoi Su-27 of the Ukrainian Falcons crashed during an aerobatics presentation at Sknyliv airfield near Lviv, Ukraine. 84 people were killed, as well as an 85th who later died from injuries at a hospital, and over 100 injured. The crash remains the world's worst airshow disaster to date."

WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC FOOTAGE

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=033_1257720528

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

I think that that should be labelled EXTREMELY GRAPHIC footage. I'm a regular on liveleak, but this footage is a bit rich even for me....

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Map and ship names - blue circle 330 yards black one 1000 yards
    # 	Name 	Type 	Yards from surface zero
    50 	LSM-60 	Amphibious 	0
    3 	Arkansas 	Battleship 	170
    8 	Pilotfish 	Submarine 	363
    10 	Saratoga 	A/C Carrier 	450
    12 	YO-160 	Yard Oiler 	520
    7 	Nagato 	Battleship 	770
    41 	Skipjack 	Submarine 	800
    2 	Apogon 	Submarine 	850
    11 	ARDC-13 	Drydock 	1,150

not sure which one was Prinz Eugen

more info
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads#Test_Baker

Operation_Crossroads_Baker.jpg

Crossroads_Baker_Base_Surge.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Nagato - 221m long battleship

Remember that Baker was 23 Kilotons , the Tsar Bomb was 50 thousand Kilotons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

While we're on the subject, a HD compilation of nuclear bomb tests.
    Such terrible beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Always find the scale incredible

eit027_50.gif

zn7E7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

On scale, I posted this about 3 years ago.

Pillars20of20Creation.jpg

M16: Pillars of Creation

Link
    Explanation: It has become one of the most famous images of modern times. This image, taken with the Hubble Space Telescope in 1995, shows evaporating gaseous globules (EGGs) emerging from pillars of molecular hydrogen gas and dust. The giant pillars are light years in length and are so dense that interior gas contracts gravitationally to form stars. At each pillars' end, the intense radiation of bright young stars causes low density material to boil away, leaving stellar nurseries of dense EGGs exposed. The Eagle Nebula, associated with the open star cluster M16, lies about 7000 light years away. The pillars of creation were again imaged by the orbiting Chandra X-ray Observatory, and it was found that most EGGS are not strong emitters of X-rays.
    And from Wikipedia
    In early 2007, scientists using the Spitzer discovered evidence that potentially indicates the Pillars were destroyed by a nearby supernova explosion about 6,000 years ago, but the light showing the new shape of the nebula will not reach Earth for another millennium.,
    That quote just blows my mind.

Bigger Pic

Those little 'blobs' you see are about the same size as our solar system.

87478833.png

Just to give you an idea, Voyager 1 launched 32 years ago, who's radio signals take 31 hours to reach us is only now nearing the edge of our solar system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

241828.jpg

This video should be seen by everyone: http://www.dump.com/beseen/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

12 year old boy shot because his father was a Tamil Tiger.He was given a snack,then brought out & shot 5 times.

article-2281246-17ACD3AF000005DC-811_634x357.jpg

article-2281246-17C25B0B000005DC-984_634x357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Worztron wrote: »
    241828.jpg

This video should be seen by the entire world: http://www.dump.com/beseen/

What's exactly is going on here?

Wish people would give a bit of context with their pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Presumably it's the amount of plastic and crap in the bird's stomach; it died from eating all that junk?
    12 year old boy shot because his father was a Tamil Tiger.He was given a snack,then brought out & shot 5 times.

Sweet Jesus, that's barbaric :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

The linked video in my original post explains it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There is an island 2000km away from the nearest populated coastline. The video shows how far all our rubbish travels and the affect it has on wildlife that has more than likely never seen a human being before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Holy f**king christ thats just tragic. Such a screwed up & warped civilization we have at the best of times :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    Holy f**king christ thats just tragic. Such a screwed up & warped civilization we have at the best of times :mad:

In comparison to the bird and all the junk the pic of the boy registers nothing with me, the state of the world because of us is so much more shocking than one individual yet generates less of a response IMO because it so much easier to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

In comparison to the bird and all the junk the pic of the boy registers nothing with me, the state of the world because of us is so much more shocking than one individual yet generates less of a response IMO because it so much easier to ignore.

Or because it's easier for us to identify with another human being than it is to a bird.

The bird video is upsetting, yes. But to see a young boy being needlessly killed like that is horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've kind of accepted the world is screwed, the amount of rubbish & pollution that gets dumped everyday would boggle the mind. This 'green' nonsense is a drop in the ocean, & we're long past the point of no return I think. But this is nothing new. I'm not ignoring anything - I just understand thats the way it is.

However, trying to figure out how someone can pick up a gun, aim it at a child, & pull the trigger five times...well no, you see thats very very different. This isn't just something thats greedy, selfish, or shortsighted...its utterly deplorable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've kind of accepted the world is screwed, the amount of rubbish & pollution that gets dumped everyday would boggle the mind. This 'green' nonsense is a drop in the ocean, & we're long past the point of no return I think. But this is nothing new. I'm not ignoring anything - I just understand thats the way it is.

However, trying to figure out how someone can pick up a gun, aim it at a child, & pull the trigger five times...well no, you see thats very very different. This isn't just something thats greedy, selfish, or shortsighted...its utterly deplorable.

Gotta start somewhere

Advertisement