Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

Don't really want to bring this into any big debate, because it doesn't belong in this thread, but I meant that every country is essentially a step away from a civil war and similar atrocities. Some happened during the Civil War and the War of Independence - were they as bad? Probably not, but atrocities did happen. If we had the weapons at hand like they do currently in Syria, would it have been worse? Who knows, but it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Grimebox wrote: »
    Here is a set of pictures of war in Syria. I couldn't pick any one to post here. Very NSFW/NSFL

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/syria-in-ruins/100402/

Spectacular photo's. What a horribly brutal war.

And to contribute.... A terrorist organisation bombs the entire government council of a world super power - The IRA attempted mass murder of the British Cabinet in 1984 - and very nearly succeeds...

7C9FAEB259C6E42D1A301E1CFF4969.jpg

brightonnewsstory.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Don't really want to bring this into any big debate, because it doesn't belong in this thread, but I meant that every country is essentially a step away from a civil war and similar atrocities. Some happened during the Civil War and the War of Independence - were they as bad? Probably not, but atrocities did happen. If we had the weapons at hand like they do currently in Syria, would it have been worse? Who knows, but it is possible.
    Most definitely yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Spectacular photo's. What a horribly brutal war.

And to contribute.... A terrorist organisation bombs the entire government council of a world super power - The IRA attempted mass murder of the British Cabinet in 1984 - and very nearly succeeds...

"Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always".

This was part of statement The IRA made at the time. For some reason it was something that struck me as so powerful and true sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

C0J4y.jpg

Reminded me of this for some reason:
    File:Wojtek_the_bear.jpg

Private Wojtek the bear - World War 2 hero

He was a Syrian brown bear cub found in Iran and adopted by soldiers of the 22nd Artillery Supply Company of the Polish II Corps.

Wojtek+Bear+Cub+-+2nd+Polish+Corps+WW2.jpg

He was officially drafted into the Polish Army as a private and was listed among the soldiers of the 22nd Artillery Supply Company of the Polish II Corps.

He lived with the other men in their tents or in a special wooden crate, which was transported by truck. According to numerous accounts, during the Battle of Monte Cassino, Wojtek helped his friends by transporting ammunition – never dropping a single crate.

voytek1.jpg

He also enjoyed beer with the soldiers:
    Wojtek_and_beer.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_%28soldier_bear%29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Here is a set of pictures of war in Syria. I couldn't pick any one to post here. Very NSFW/NSFL

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/syria-in-ruins/100402/

Fucking hell.

Stop the planet, i want to get off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fucking hell.

Stop the planet, i want to get off :(

As bad as some of those were, they didn't bother me. I'm in my late 30s, and I've been seeing this particularly in photo-journalism since I was a teenager. Yugoslavia, Iraq twice, Serbia, Rwanda, and all manner of historic coverage from WWII, Cambodia, Vietnam and so on.

It has always happened, it always will. The only thing you can do is never accept it and hope that the international governments do likewise. I have to say, Russia and China have a lot to answer for, in their support for a number of regimes over the years...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Good short documentary on medical services on the Syrian front line.Probably NSFW due to the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Probably the only photo of it that shocked the world ...

C0J4y.jpg

When they were moving the tourist attractions to safety.

This was actually a photo of villagers carrying a dead mountain gorilla. He was one of many that were murdered and noone knows by whom.

Good article in National Geographic I read a few years back.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/07/virunga/jenkins-text

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

savitascreen1.jpg

54.jpg

44.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Less chat and more pics!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

jaysus kids are the future what hope have we got if this is what they haveto put up with.Photo taken from syria..the kids house has been hit with artillary

s_s20_54117274.jpg

EDIT:just seen the picture was linked to already above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Jihad Mashhrawi weeps as he holds the body of his 11-month old son, Omar, at Shifa hospital following an Israeli air strike on their family home in Gaza City on Wednesday 14 November 2012.

AD20121116967381-1-Jihad_Masharawi.jpg

nasas-hubble-spitzer-space-telescopes-find-most-distant-galaxy-yet-known_0.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope
    98643680-10-1-252x337.jpg
    Astronomers have found the most distant galaxy seen in the universe by combining the power of NASA's Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes and one of nature's own natural "zoom lenses" in space.
    Astronomers have found the most distant galaxy seen in the universe by combining the power of NASA's Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes and one of nature's own natural "zoom lenses" in space.

According to the scientists, the farthest galaxy looks like a very small blob that is only a tiny fraction of the size of our Milky Way galaxy. However, the object does offer a peek back into a time when the universe was 3 percent of its present age of 13.7 billion years.

Scientists said that the newly discovered galaxy, named MACS0647-JD, was observed 420 million years after the big bang, the theorized beginning of the universe. Its light has traveled 13.3 billion years to reach the Earth.

As far as the natural zoom lenses are concerned, this was the latest discovery from a program that uses them to reveal far-away galaxies in the early universe. The Cluster Lensing And Supernova Survey with Hubble (CLASH), an international group led by Marc Postman of the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, Md., is using massive galaxy clusters as cosmic telescopes to magnify distant galaxies behind them. This effect is called gravitational lensing, says NASA.

Without the cluster's magnification powers, astronomers would not have seen this remote galaxy. Because of gravitational lensing, the CLASH research team was able to observe three magnified images of MACS0647-JD with the Hubble telescope. The cluster's gravity boosted the light from the faraway galaxy, making the images appear about eight, seven, and two times brighter than they otherwise would.

"This cluster does what no manmade telescope can do," said Postman. "Without the magnification, it would require a Herculean effort to observe this galaxy."

NASA says MACS0647-JD is so small that it may be in the first steps of forming a larger galaxy. An analysis shows the galaxy is less than 600 light-years wide.

Based on observations of somewhat closer galaxies, astronomers estimate that a typical galaxy of a similar age should be about 2,000 light-years wide. For comparison, the Large Magellanic Cloud, a dwarf galaxy companion to the Milky Way, is 14,000 light-years wide. Our Milky Way is 150,000 light-years across.

"This object may be one of many building blocks of a galaxy," said the study's lead author Dan Coe of the Space Telescope Science Institute. "Over the next 13 billion years, it may have dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of merging events with other galaxies and galaxy fragments."

The galaxy was observed with 17 filters, spanning near-ultraviolet to near-infrared wavelengths, using Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) and Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS). Coe, a CLASH team member, discovered the galaxy in February while poring over a catalogue of thousands of gravitationally lensed objects found in Hubble observations of 17 clusters in the CLASH survey. But the galaxy appeared only in the two reddest filters.

"So either MACS0647-JD is a very red object, only shining at red wavelengths, or it is extremely distant and its light has been 'redshifted' to these wavelengths, or some combination of the two," Coe said. "We considered this full range of possibilities."

MACS0647-JD galaxy, however, may be too far for any current telescope to confirm the distance based on spectroscopy, which spreads out an object's light into thousands of colors. Nevertheless, Coe is confident the fledgling galaxy is the new distance champion based on its unique colors and the research team's extensive analysis.

MACS0647-JD is the second remote galaxy uncovered in the CLASH survey. Earlier this year, the CLASH team announced the discovery of a galaxy that existed when the universe was 490 million years old, 70 million years later than the new record-breaking galaxy. So far, the survey has completed observations for 20 of the 25 clusters.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nasas-hubble-spitzer-space-telescopes-find-most-distant-galaxy-yet-known-884394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Dresden
    Up there with Venice and Vienna as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe until the 1940s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

View of Apollo 13's damaged Service Module after it was jettisoned.

Stuck in what was basically reduced to an underpowered, damaged , ill equipped tin can 400,000 km from Earth and having to rely on methodologies that were being devised and tested on the ground as the problems arose, I'd say this picture haunted many a person who ever looked up at the moon.

AS13-59-8500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

This picture i think falls into this thread. A prank that went horribly wrong..
    Jacintha Saldanha, 46

article-2245294-166B977A000005DC-808_634x443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Posts deleted, just like they were yesterday.

You may not agree that some pictures "shook the world", however, most of them have already been posted, so I think we can allow a little bit of leeway. The picture refers to an important news story which is being reported on in several countries the world over.

If you have a problem with a picture or post, report it. Do not bitch about it on the thread.

• Advertisement

Katherine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston marathon. Despite the protests of race organisers and officials who tried to stop her on the day, she refused to be intimidated and completed the race as a college student in 1967.

Bit more here.

http://www.kathrineswitzer.com/life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathrine_Switzer

Also she is on Newstalks Off the Ball show tonight for anyone interested.

6386_10152358295780441_262466974_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Katherine Switzer,

'Off the Ball' clip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To go from a 4hr 20min marathon to a 2hr 51min marathon in 1975 is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CatFromHue wrote: »
    To go from a 4hr 20min marathon to a 2hr 51min marathon in 1975 is amazing!

Well in 1967 she had to do an additional 5 miles or so avoiding all the grumpy old men. Plus she was wearing about 25kg of flannel tracksuit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

robman60 wrote: »
    Warning: Extremely Graphic
    On June 2, 2012 Feng Jianmei was forced to undergo an abortion because of China's one child policy. After the forced abortion her child was left next to her for her to dispose of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_abortion_of_Feng_Jianmei

Dear God. that is the most shocking picture on this thread. Post # 2067

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

jimmy-saville-at-haut-de-la-garenne-childrens-home-in-jersey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

^ what's this about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Jimmy Saville

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I think that photo is of kids at Broadmoor Hospital, the allegations of what he got up to there shocked everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

_64624025_64624024.jpg

Website that displays all the bombs dropped during the Blitz.
    http://www.bombsight.org

Some massive coverage.

Advertisement