Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Grimebox wrote: »
    Gotta start somewhere

I agree, its just funny how our 'start' makes a lot of people a lot of money. But anyway, back to the pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

242035.jpg

Humanity is one messed up creature. :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

zerks wrote: »
    12 year old boy shot because his father was a Tamil Tiger.He was given a snack,then brought out & shot 5 times.

article-2281246-17ACD3AF000005DC-811_634x357.jpg

article-2281246-17C25B0B000005DC-984_634x357.jpg

This is a part of the Channel 4 Documentary Sri Lanka's Killing fields. This Documentary is available on the Channel 4 website

Part 1 : http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sri-lankas-killing-fields/4od#3305298

Part 2: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sri-lankas-killing-fields/4od#3321899

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I just came across this thread. Fascinating, interesting and in places quite disturbing. Well done to everyone that has contributed.

This thread should be a requirement in schools, it would teach the younger generation just how brilliant we can be as a race but also remind them of how cruel we are to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

^^^

Some of it is quite disturbing and upsetting. However, here is an encouraging talk at TED by a Canadian scientist, Steven Pinker, who argues that although life throughout most of human history was nasty, brutal and short , violence is on the decline and worldwide is currently at the lowest levels it has ever been, relatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

ror_74 wrote: »
    Always find the scale incredible

Solar Flares, Earth to scale pic
    Needs the Vid, Read the description first, the Rain is class.
    Published on Feb 20, 2013
    Eruptive events on the sun can be wildly different. Some come just with a solar flare, some with an additional ejection of solar material called a coronal mass ejection (CME), and some with complex moving structures in association with changes in magnetic field lines that loop up into the sun's atmosphere, the corona.

On July 19, 2012, an eruption occurred on the sun that produced all three. A moderately powerful solar flare exploded on the sun's lower right hand limb, sending out light and radiation. Next came a CME, which shot off to the right out into space. And then, the sun treated viewers to one of its dazzling magnetic displays -- a phenomenon known as coronal rain.

Over the course of the next day, hot plasma in the corona cooled and condensed along strong magnetic fields in the region. Magnetic fields, themselves, are invisible, but the charged plasma is forced to move along the lines, showing up brightly in the extreme ultraviolet wavelength of 304 Angstroms, which highlights material at a temperature of about 50,000 Kelvin. This plasma acts as a tracer, helping scientists watch the dance of magnetic fields on the sun, outlining the fields as it slowly falls back to the solar surface.

The footage in this video was collected by the Solar Dynamics Observatory's AIA instrument. SDO collected one frame every 12 seconds, and the movie plays at 30 frames per second, so each second in this video corresponds to 6 minutes of real time. The video covers 12:30 a.m. EDT to 10:00 p.m. EDT on July 19, 2012.
    Music: "Thunderbolt" by Lars Leonhard, courtesy of artist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

My view of our current plane of existence

THE BIG BANG
    bigbang.jpg

MAN DISCOVERS FIRE
    6a010535fc6c30970c0120a4e5d01e970b-800wi

XBOX 360 LAUNCHED
    xbox360_manufacturing_01.jpg

judgement Day
    29602069.judgement_day.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    My view of our current plane of existence

THE BIG BANG
    bigbang.jpg

MAN DISCOVERS FIRE
    6a010535fc6c30970c0120a4e5d01e970b-800wi

XBOX 360 LAUNCHED
    xbox360_manufacturing_01.jpg

judgement Day
    29602069.judgement_day.jpg

who took the photo of the first fire, I think me and him need to talk sport betting

who took the photo of the first fire, I think me and him need to talk sport betting

thats actually a recreation i took in howth

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steffifandler

thats actually a recreation i took in howth

If there really was a big bang how come all matter isnt evenly distributed across the Universe like with most explosions...just a question Ive never really understood thats all - dont all go mental...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

ror_74 wrote: »
    ^^^

Some of it is quite disturbing and upsetting. However, here is an encouraging talk at TED by a Canadian scientist, Steven Pinker, who argues that although life throughout most of human history was nasty, brutal and short , violence is on the decline and worldwide is currently at the lowest levels it has ever been, relatively speaking.

He wrote a book on this last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If there really was a big bang how come all matter isnt evenly distributed across the Universe like with most explosions...just a question Ive never really understood thats all - dont all go mental...

Well, on a large, non-local scale, we do think that matter is distributed evenly across the Universe, that is to say that it's homogenous, and we also think that the same everywhere you look in the Universe, which is to say that it's isotropic. The "local" variations that cause everything from subatomic particles to galaxies are thought to be the result of quantum fluctuation, which are expected to have existed prior to the inflation phase of the Big Bang and would result in non-uniform matter distributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    However, trying to figure out how someone can pick up a gun, aim it at a child, & pull the trigger five times...well no, you see thats very very different. This isn't just something thats greedy, selfish, or shortsighted...its utterly deplorable.

Clearly from the thanks the various posts have gotten I don't hold a popular view but I really don't see the big deal with that pic at all.
    He's only some random human (that no-one in ireland has any connection with). I find it disturbing that people can empathise more with him than the state of the world, it really highlights the human sense of self importance and impression that they are somehow better and more important than the rest of nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I really don't see the big deal with that pic at all.
    He's only some random human (that no-one in ireland has any connection with).

So much wrong with those sentences

its a lack of empathey that helps make the worl a very ****ed up place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

He's only some random human (that no-one in ireland has any connection with). I find it disturbing that people can empathise more with him than the state of the world, it really highlights the human sense of self importance and impression that they are somehow better and more important than the rest of nature

Wow. Maybe it's because I'm a father of three, but I'd like to think that the execution of a child, no matter who knows him or doesn't know him, no matter who his father is or what his father has done, would be universally decried as simply wrong. How naïve I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Clearly from the thanks the various posts have gotten I don't hold a popular view but I really don't see the big deal with that pic at all.

So because I found the execution of an innocent child to be so shocking, you've somehow determined that I've a sense of self importance & don't care about nature as much as I should? I'm not sure I find that or your lack of empathy for an innocent child more bizarre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

EnterNow wrote: »
    So because I found the execution of an innocent child to be so shocking, you've somehow determined that I've a sense of self importance & don't care about nature as much as I should?

Exactly. You should be ashamed of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

....... And that's just some rotted bird.

going by your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Where did the people who post pictures go??

• Advertisement

s9612609.gif

Martian bacteria.......

From that Martian meteorite ALH 84001. Most of the theories about them being fossilised bacteria have been disproved or at least cast in doubt and will probably never be proven conclusively one way or another but remember they hype around this at the time? It certainly kick-started a renewed interest in Mars and in other fields like extra-solar planet hunting

Hmm its not really the same as a normal explosion is the simple answer....its too complicated to explain in a sentence and im too lazy to write more than this but.

also none of these pictures seem to invoke any emotional response from me
    The space scale pics are interesting but the cancer kid or starving african or even executions simply bore me. That being said im not sure I have emotions.

If there was a picture of a dog being hit or killed I would probably be outraged though.

also none of these pictures seem to invoke any emotional response from me
    The space scale pics are interesting but the cancer kid or starving african or even executions simply bore me. That being said im not sure I have emotions.

If there was a picture of a dog being hit or killed I would probably be outraged though.

perhaps you have been brainwashed by animal rights groups and vegetarians

perhaps you have been brainwashed by animal rights groups and vegetarians

Definitely not I eat more beef/chicken than a butcher

I mean whey/casein/soy protein is good but im full blown carnivore

Definitely not I eat more beef/chicken than a butcher

I mean whey/casein/soy protein is good but im full blown carnivore

just wondering why you would have more empathy for a dog that a human

just wondering why you would have more empathy for a dog that a human

I dunno... I dont think ive ever met a nice human.... dogs are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Just to remind you guys.. The title of the thread is:

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

The emphasis is on Pictures.

cb6fcd0f-4d74-4fad-a233-82fd7014fdd2_19.jpg

Like it or loath it, nothing did more to get PCs into people's homes than Windows 95

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭lockon...

Space Shuttle Challenger - January 1986

1.jpg

Challenger blew up because rocket fuel escaped from a faulty O-ring. NASA had been warned in 1985 by the manufactures (Morton-Thiokal) of the Solid Rocket Boosters that they would not work in low temperatures - the seals would fail. The engineer from Morton-Thiokal present at Mission Control that day would not sign off on the launch. NASA rang the company and were again told by the engineers not to launch. NASA then went over the engineers heads and requested a management decision. 73 seconds into the launch the shuttle blew up.

Similar NASA incompetance caused the Columbia disaster in 2003.

Advertisement