Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi and Lidl

• 19-02-2013 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Are they really good value?

The food sold by Aldi and Lidl is safe I never known anybody to have a problem that way and the few times I have used them I never seen any out of date produce on display.

However the texture and taste of large amounts of produce on sale in these outlets is less than mouth watering.

Own brand Cereals bread and soft drinks are what I would call rubbish.

Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I would call all cereals and soft drinks rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ranicand wrote: »

The food sold by Aldi and Lidl is safe I never known anybody to have a problem that way and the few times I have used them I never seen any out of date produce on display.

However the texture and taste of large amounts of produce on sale in these outlets is less than mouth watering.

Opinions.
    My opinion is,worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I would call all cereals and soft drinks rubbish!

Yes your right but you can forgive that if it tastes nice and has a nice texture.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

"The food is safe"

You're right there friend. I once bought a mince pie from Morrisons that raped my dog.

Bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Aldi & Lidl.

Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

"The food is safe"

You're right there friend. I once bought a mince pie from Morrisons that raped my dog.

Bastard.

Bloody british supermarkets, coming over her, taking our bitches :mad:

"The food is safe"

Bastard.

I had a mouthful of coffee your bloody lucky it did not go all over my screen.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Opinions.

I like the crisps from Lidl. The 48 pack for €3.49. Damn tasty. The Hunky Dory type from Aldi are shíte though. Apparently they come from the same factory, guess they didn't make it through the quality control.

Veg in Lidl is grand as well, but I've found it does tend to go off rather quickly.

Aldi had Dr Oetgher (**** knows I've spelt that wrong,) bake in the box bread a while ago, and I've been looking for it since.

The big fat Polish sausages are dead nice on a BBQ.

There's a lot in both that I don't like. But then again, there's a lot in other shops I don't like either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I had a mouthful of coffee your bloody lucky it did not go all over my screen.:D
    Was it aldi or lidl coffee and did it make you retch?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Was it aldi or lidl coffee and did it make you retch?

Not sure but it was pretty nutty.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are people still talking about ALDI and LIDL like there's something mysterious and dodgy about them?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

JPA wrote: »
    Are people still talking about ALDI and LIDL like there's something mysterious and dodgy about them?!
    Nayy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

Never said anything of the kind I just said their stuff had a bad texture and taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i wonder could i get horse burgers, (proper horse burgers, not this 29% horse **** you'd get in tesco) in there?
    or a nice horse steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Never said anything of the kind I just said their stuff had a bad texture and taste.
    Not all their stuff. Every supermarket has good and bad. It's easy to get caught up in brand snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Their cornflakes taste like salty bags of crap and once, once I bought a housekeepers cut there, looked nice but I got a migrane after the third bite. I don't even want to know. Haven't eaten beef since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Not sure about Lidl, but Aldi's 'specially selected' meats are superior to any thing the other big super markets produce, and indeed many local butchers too.

Aldi have a pack of two, in sirloin, striploin and fillet steaks for example on sale, with the steaks being almost an inch and a half thick, almost fat free and priced 7-9€ for two!

IMO, the nicest steaks on sale in any supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Agreed that it's silly to be suspicious of ALDI or LIDL.

I used to shop in LIDL a lot when we lived in Ireland, and never had any problems with them. I found that the vegetables (especially carrots) sometimes went off a bit quickly, but other than that it was fine. Some of their own brand stuff (or some other brand I've never seen outside LIDL) was excellent, some not so great, same as the other chains.

The only thing I wasn't keen to buy there was milk and butter, I was a Dairygold/Golden Vale fan, and they didn't stock those brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Opinions.

I drove down the country at the weekend and I was struck at just how many Aldi and Lidl stores there now are. I like the variation that these stores bring but there are too many imo. However, it is a free world and market forces apply. Out of town shopping and the likes of super valu and Tescos expanding their range to hardware and CDs, DVDs etc makes life very difficult for smaller in town shops.

I am not a shop owner but worked in a family business as a kid and certainly empathise with the smaller shops who have been suffocated by the big multiples. However, the shopper is entitled to expect the best price but a balance should be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Great value but i always seem to end up with a trolley full of unhealthy stuff anyone notice that? Pizzas chips sweets etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Whats yellow and blue,and hangs out of a tight c*nt?

A Lidl shopping bag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice

Couldn't disagree more with you on this. I think they are great at looking out for the queue building up and that the staff come quite quickly when the bell is rung for another till to be open. Give me their checkout process anyday before any other supermarkets, it's fast and efficient.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lies.

6 members of staff? In the shop at once?

Lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They seriously need self service checkouts, unless you're doing a pretty big shop there its a pain in the hole queuing behind people with massive trolleys of stuff when you've only got a few things

krudler wrote: »
    They seriously need self service checkouts, unless you're doing a pretty big shop there its a pain in the hole queuing behind people with massive trolleys of stuff when you've only got a few things

Those self service tills are partially responsible for higher prices in the other stores IMO.

They need serviced, operated costs associated with them, tended to by staff, and I'm sure not everyone uses them honestly.

SamHall wrote: »
    Those self service tills are partially responsible for higher prices in the other stores IMO.

They need serviced, operated costs associated with them, tended to by staff, and I'm sure not everyone uses them honestly.

small price to pay for not having my shopping launched at me through the checkout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yup, its universal and also happens in any Lidl stores ive been to in Germany or France. They do haul staff from the floor pretty quick, and Aldi is a little better in that regard.

That said, they are not Spar (ironically the germanic word for "cheap"!)
    There you might get served quick but they charge handsomely for the priviledge.

In spar a couple of packs of crisps, bottle of lucozade and a bottle of water could cost you a tenner
    In Aldi or Lidl? 2, maybe 3 euro tops.
    Well worth the inconvienance to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Opinions.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Bayern Munich will beat Arsenal tonight, but thats only my opinion:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"The food is safe"

Bastard.

Did it get him in the pie hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I hardly shop anywhere else, to be honest.

Their fruit and veg are great (especially Lidl's), I prefer Aldi's cheap sliced white loaf to any other I've had so far (I make brown bread and soda bread myself, so can't comment on their selections there), their dairy is very good indeed, Lidl's cheddars are better again than any I've had elsewhere, and Aldi has a great selection of other cheeses (UK and European ones) which I love.

They both stock good beers, and Aldi's cleaning products are seriously good.
    I generally buy those in Aldi as they've banned animal testing on both their products and ingredients other than where there's legal requirements in 1992. Lidl haven't yet, as far as I know, so I stay clear of their cosmetics and cleaning supplies.

The only thing we'd be buying elsewhere is cat food (spoilt moggies!) and Quorn/Linda McCartney products, as neither Lidl nor Aldi stock these.
    I have to admit I tend to be mildly shocked at the prices Tescos or Dunnes expect people to pay whenever I have a look at their veg sections or dairy...

Last but not least what makes shopping in Aldi and Lidl much, much more enjoyable to me is the fact that neither will pump sh*te music through their stores.
    That and the fact that the checkouts are really, really fast, and that they've a sensible, large, unrushed packing area.
    I can't begin to describe how much I hate and despise that about Tescos and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

People wont buy lidl and aldi cause it's not branded but half the time it's made by the brand company eg it's either lidl or aldi but they're fake weetabix is made by weetabix. The meat is aldi comes from the same factory as superquinn. The yogurts in aldi that are Irish, aldi sees the quality as so good they want them exported to their other stores.

It's kinda like coca cola and Pepsi. Put them in 2 diffentent glasses and 9/10 people wont tell the different. Same with the German supermarkets food. Majority of big companies view aldi and lidl as a way of making money from the lower income consumer

On the hand. Own branded goods in other stores can be pretty horrible for the price you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like shopping in Aldi as my local ones carpark is underground so all the trolleys are in good nick, the shop itself is never too busy or noisy, I like the weekly special offers on house stuff and everything is great value. I like having the stuff fired through the till as I don't like to waste time myself.

Lidl has a couple of things that Aldi don't that I like, mainly nut cluster cereal and nicer probiotic drinks.

one thing they're great for is shopping for parties, we had one a few months ago and got the food drink, cleaning stuff for the aftermath and everything we needed for about 70 quid, there was about 15 people in the house.

I do find a lot of the time I go in there intended to do a full shop, then find they dont have half the stuff I need and just wind up having to go to tesco instead, they're not massively cheaper either, some stuff is but between the time you spend going to different places you may as well spend the few extra quid in one shop imo, I am a lazy bollocks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What I think is funny is that Lidl are now stocking a lot of the branded goods that Dunnes/Tesco stock and the other day I was in there and went to buy the blocks of butter for baking - Lidl brand obviously but noticed that just next to it there was more Kerrygold sold than the Lidl brand :rolleyes: Do people actually think they're getting Kerrygold cheaper in Lidl than they would in Dunnes/Tesco?!

That's what I don't like about Lidl, they sell too many brands. If I want brands I go to Dunnes. I hope Aldi don't go down that route.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Opinions.
    Fcuk me, you'd swear they sold rat poison in their pizza's the way you talk about them.

I shop at Aldi all of the time and I think their products are as good, if not better than the likes of Dunnes or Tesco and better value for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi and Lidl are both good and if they were not in this country,then all other supermarkets (Dunnes,Supervalue,Superquinn and Tesco) would all have their prices up through the roof......

Competition is allways good.

I shop in both of the,and have no probelm buying my food from either...especially when my shopping bill is around 35 euro less than it would be in Tesco per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I do combined weekly shop in Aldi and Tesco. Aldi is for fruit and veg, cheeses, ham, steaks, milk, jams... Specially select range in Aldi is very good quality for any super market food. In Tescos I buy branded stuff. I avoid the cheap shop brands like a plague in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Most of the own-brand products in Aldi and Lidl are no different to those in Dunnes or Tesco. If you go anywhere in Europe, especially Aldi's home country of Germany, you'll find stores inferior to Aldi like Netto or Pennymarket. Competition is a great thing and going to Aldi saves me money. The food is good quality and the German beer in stock is great.

Regarding competition...even if you look at revenue statistics, Tesco is still far superior to the discount German stores. And most of the own-brand products in Lidl and Aldi more than likely come from the same factories that produce Tesco and St. Bernard brands products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

one thing they're great for is shopping for parties, we had one a few months ago and got the food drink, cleaning stuff for the aftermath and everything we needed for about 70 quid, there was about 15 people in the house.

I do find a lot of the time I go in there intended to do a full shop, then find they dont have half the stuff I need and just wind up having to go to tesco instead, they're not massively cheaper either, some stuff is but between the time you spend going to different places you may as well spend the few extra quid in one shop imo, I am a lazy bollocks though

Just out of interest, what stuff can't you get for the full shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I go to Aldi or Lidl every week, great shops. It's surprising how far €20 will go there. Stuff like their sliced ham, steaks, beer are far better than most shops. Most other stuff is similar quality as the normal shops but cheaper. The Lidl in store bakery is so cheap it's almost free! I used to read the Indo which did a taste test of random products every week, Aldi and Lidl were definitely the strongest performers.
    Some stuff just doesn't match up though, just cos I'm used to a certain product and don't like change! Like brennans bread.
    Bonus in both shops is the weekly offers they get in. You see the weirdest stuff in there. Weirdest thing I saw was one of those yolks that pull scuba divers along under water.
    As I said, I shop in them regularly and can safely say that I have never seen any member of staff, never mind 6, standing around doing fúck all.

Ush1 wrote: »

ah just random stuff, they'd probably stock it usually but some things I like the brand ones, their cheap icecream is awesome though, cant fathom paying for ben and jerrys which is stupid expensive when you can get nice stuff for 1/4 of the price.

although then on the flipside I cant walk into dunnes and come out with a bonsai tree and a snorkle set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I love how they give you 8 seconds to pack up and pay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Aldi has a new line of wheat free and gluten free bread. The brown slice is soso but the white slice is the best I've tasted since I've been buying gluten free. It's also the cheapest. In the other stores gluten free costs 2x the price and it's horrible. I can finally take a break from rice cakes .

Ush1 wrote: »

They're not that good on veggie stuff. (my wife doesn't eat meat)
    Tofu, cottage pies, quorn mince, etc.

If aldi stocked those items, I'd never need go near Tesco again.

That'd make Sam a happy man. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should write to Aldi and praise them for this gluten-free product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

leahyl wrote: »
    What I think is funny is that Lidl are now stocking a lot of the branded goods that Dunnes/Tesco stock and the other day I was in there and went to buy the blocks of butter for baking - Lidl brand obviously but noticed that just next to it there was more Kerrygold sold than the Lidl brand :rolleyes: Do people actually think they're getting Kerrygold cheaper in Lidl than they would in Dunnes/Tesco?!

That's what I don't like about Lidl, they sell too many brands. If I want brands I go to Dunnes. I hope Aldi don't go down that route.

So they had their own brand and also other brands and you are complaining?

Since when is offering a choice a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Made homemade burgers, bought all the ingredients from superQuinn, next week made same burgers but went to lidl and cost half the price.

also I love walking around lidl and aldi you don't know what you'll find, tomatoes beside con saws, car seats in the ice cream section total madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

reprazant wrote: »
    So they had their own brand and also other brands and you are complaining?

Since when is offering a choice a bad thing?

I'm not complaining, I just said that the brands can be got in Dunnes/Tesco, people usually go to Lidl/Aldi to save money and because they like their own brand stuff - they're different in other words, there's already variety. I just think what's the point of going to lidl and buying all branded goods when the cheaper lidl version is there?

I like going into Aldi and finding products that you just wouldn't get in Dunnes/Tesco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement