Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Rathmines - You MUST use THEIR basket .....

Options
  • 18-02-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

I walked in the door of Aldi in Rathmines this evening and started to puta couple of biscuits in my cloth reusable shopping bag ... as I usually do .. and have done for 15 years in Tesco's Superquinns, Aldi, Lidle etc etc etc ...

A manager abruptly came up to be and told me that I could not shop in Aldi unless I used one of THEIR blue plastic baskets ! I said I really don't like them (I have minor arthritis and it's uncomfortable to hold). He told me I MUST use them if I want to shop in Aldi. FFS

I dumped the biscuits and told him I'm off across the road to Lidl.

What on earth is this control freakery ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881989

Above thread might help you understand what type are trying to prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Errrr no .... That does not help me understand it.

NO other supermarket thinks this idiotic anti-customer action is required.

I have never encountered this kind of thing !

And I have NO intention of shopping there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Piliger wrote: »
    Errrr no .... That does not help me understand it.

NO other supermarket thinks this idiotic anti-customer action is required.

I have never encountered this kind of thing !

And I have NO intention of shopping there again.

So write a letter to them and tell them that. Might do more good than ranting on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I feel your pain OP but tbh it makes sense for them to ask you use a basket.
    Shoplifting is on the increase and it can be easy to "forget" an item or two in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

What on earth is this control freakery ???

A fairly standard way of preventing shoplifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

In Spain you can go around using your own shopping bag and when you put your items on the belt you also put your bags.

The cashier looks in + verifies that the bags are empty and passes them to you to pack your shopping into.

No reason why this shouldn't be possible if ALDI are so worried about the customer stealing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

A fairly standard way of preventing shoplifting?

Standard ... where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no Consumer Issue here - it's their shop and they can impose their rules.

Moved to After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

APM wrote: »
    In Spain you can go around using your own shopping bag and when you put your items on the belt you also put your bags.

The cashier looks in + verifies that the bags are empty and passes them to you to pack your shopping into.

No reason why this shouldn't be possible if ALDI are so worried about the customer stealing items.

The problem will have doing that in Ireland is from experience we have a habit of misinterpreting things, from dealing with the public for the last sixteen years, no matter how politely you ask some to put their bag on the counter for inspection, I give it about ten minutes before someone thinks they've been called a thief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I usually put a few things in my coat pockets if I don't have enough room to carry them all to the till and if a security guard or something things I'm stealing, they usually stop me just as I go outside the doors. I explain what happened and get an apology.

All it's doing is preventing things like "oh I was searched by the staff, I was so embarrassed and need to press charges".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Then people would complain about the staff being suspicious and looking into their bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Standard ... where ?

Everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

When did they start providing baskets? I have not seen them, maybe that's lidl.
    It's a bad habit putting shopping into a bag before it's paid for, could lead to all kinds of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This is obvious a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭nhg

I have never seen baskets in aldi only trolleys, I use my cloth re-usable bag as I am usually only getting a few items & as I am small I find it very hard to get the items up out of the trolley, I would quiet happily use a basket if it was provided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can't save I've ever been asked to drop me bags in a Supermarket....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It puts the lotion in the basket...

...in the BASKET!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

OP sounds like he's off his trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

HondaSami wrote: »
    It's a bad habit putting shopping into a bag before it's paid for, could lead to all kinds of problems.

Aldi (in Rathmines) have been providing baskets for the past few months. The funny thing is that you can't take the baskets past the till. Once your shopping is put on the counter the basket has to be placed in the stack near the till. Every time I go in there I hear the assistants having to tell customers this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Aldi stores usually don't have baskets but for the sake of those buying only small numbers of items they have gone to some trouble to provide baskets in some stores and smaller trolleys in most stores for their elderly and student customers.

They operate in such a way that the staff must deal with customers as quickly as possible so they can then go off to stock shelves etc and customers using their own bags slows down the whole process at the till.

I have always found staff helpful and polite and they work at a very fast rate compared to other supermarkets. If I was asked to use a basket and had trouble with it I would have no problem at all taking one of the smaller trolleys which you can pack your own shopping bags from after passing through the checkout.

The smaller trolleys are not as deep as the large ones so no issue with bending over and falling into them, and they hold about one third the amount of shopping, there is also no risk of items being left in one's own bag and not being paid for. OP I would suggest using these trolleys as a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Standard ... where ?

Everywhere? try walking around a clothes shop lobbing stuff into a cloth bag and see how far you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Just eat the stuff as you walk around. When you get to the counter give the cashier the weight you were before entering the shop and the weight you are leaving. In aldi, you will need to bring a weighing scales with you but tesco have a build in scales at the cashier. That's what I do, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why not just hide them in your jacket instead of using a bag? :rolleyes:

Both Aldi and Lidl provide baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

That's is odd, can totally see why you're annoyed OP. I've always done that in Dunnes with their own reuseable store bags & never had any problem. I don't have anything againt using the baskets, just find it easier to put the items in there rather than hunt around for a basket. It has occurred to me that it might look like I'm stealing but I figure if they had any issue they could just ask to either look inside my bags or ask to check my purchases w/ the receipt as I left.

Also, just to avoid any hassle I do tend to turn it upside down & fold it a bit after putting my things onto the belt while waiting in the queue to make it clear to anyone watching the cameras/etc that its empty. Tho at this point I'd say they recognize me at the one closest to me & would know that I always pay for the stuff I've put in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Victor wrote: »
    Why not just hide them in your jacket instead of using a bag? :rolleyes:

Both Aldi and Lidl provide baskets.

They don't provide them where I live, they let you use your own bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I completely understand the shops point of view, far too hard to manage everyone with their own bag, yes you may not be likely to shoplift but if every one used their own clothe bags it would be a nightmare to manage and monitor for shoplifting, if you cant hold the basket properly use a trolly

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Can understand how OP will be affected with minor arthritis, the smaller trolly might be the solution? Personally, I've been using Aldi here and in Britain for 10 years and my only quibble was no baskets. Rathmines is handy for me on a weekend so I'll be in there ahead of my local Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

HondaSami wrote: »
    My LIDL in Dublin 15 got baskets a few months ago the ALDI doesn't
    You can use bags in both no problems ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

In Irish law a customer's personal bags and handbag can't be searched.

Advertisement