Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Rathmines - You MUST use THEIR basket .....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Victor wrote: »
    Why not just hide them in your jacket instead of using a bag? :rolleyes:

Both Aldi and Lidl provide baskets.

From those photos it seems that there is a slight difference in how you are allowed to use the baskets. Lidl clearly allow you to repack your shopping into the basket and take it to the shelf to pack at your own leisure. Aldi don't allow you to take the basket past the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

In Irish law a customer's personal bags and handbag can't be searched.
    I'm sure you can link to the appropriate legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

I've been shopping in two different Aldi and lidl in drogheda for the latest 8 years and never seen one of those things!
    That is why i put my groceries in my bag. I'm not using a trolley for 3 or 4 things. But I will write requesting baskets at my local Aldi and lidl!
    Discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

In Irish law a customer's personal bags and handbag can't be searched.

Really? if you consent they can search i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Apt username OP. They probably thought you were there to pillage their products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Must not be in all the stores, haven't seen them in my local stores yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

APM wrote: »
    In Spain you can go around using your own shopping bag and when you put your items on the belt you also put your bags.

The cashier looks in + verifies that the bags are empty and passes them to you to pack your shopping into.

No reason why this shouldn't be possible if ALDI are so worried about the customer stealing items.

Spain also has the biggest shop lifting problem in Europe (Ireland is 3rd, Romania 2nd).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Spain also has the biggest shop lifting problem in Europe (Ireland is 3rd, Romania 2nd).

In tenerife, Iceland provide lockers for your personal bags ! Los Cristianos store!

I think its quite right though, and as for the claim that consumer law says you cannot search bags, thats rubbish

For one, I doubt consumer law would cover such a thing, and two: if you dont want to allow it to be searched, they dont have to allow it to be in the store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I thought the Czech Republic was first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In Spain you can go around using your own shopping bag and when you put your items on the belt you also put your bags.

The cashier looks in + verifies that the bags are empty and passes them to you to pack your shopping into.

No reason why this shouldn't be possible if ALDI are so worried about the customer stealing items.
    And in France , which is closer, they had lockers to leave your backpacks in, and any bag bigger than a handbag was shrink wrapped when you went in.

rules vary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I can remember a joke (told me by a Romanian)

Recipe for a Romanian omelette. First, steal an egg...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

tan11ie wrote: »

Must not be in all the stores, haven't seen them in my local stores yet.
    They are in all the new type Lidl stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Augmerson wrote: »

Well that's what I read recently enough. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

What on Earth would take you into Aldi Rathmine instead of Lidl across the road?

That Aldi is so grubby and grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

hames wrote: »
    What on Earth would take you into Aldi Rathmine instead of Lidl across the road?

That Aldi is so grubby and grim.

They have peanut biscuits my son likes ... And a nice apple strudel.

I don't accept ANY of the excuses given above in respect of the shoplifting. I have been shopping goofing for decades and have NEVER had anything close to this problem and no places have felt the need to impose such a draconian policy.

Went to Lodl and found better stuff anyway so NEVER going to Aldi again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Archeron

Boombastic wrote: »
    Just eat the stuff as you walk around. When you get to the counter give the cashier the weight you were before entering the shop and the weight you are leaving. In aldi, you will need to bring a weighing scales with you but tesco have a build in scales at the cashier. That's what I do, simple.

I thought similar, but instead of a weighing scales,when you get to the till you just belch really loudly. Whatever the cashier can smell, they can charge for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Augmerson wrote: »

Spain nicked it from them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My local Lidl only got baskets last year. The store has been opened since 2002. Bloody stupid not having baskets. But before then I too, like the op, would use a shopping bag to place goods in. I never got any hassle. But of course, i've been using baskets ever since they introduced them (which is the key point)

I see the manager of Aldi's view in this case. Baskets are there so customers should use them. You will just draw unwanted attention to yourself by using a bag instead of a basket. But of course at the same time if the Op feels insulted by the manger he is in his right to take his business else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Literally never put stuff in my own bag before I've paid for it, that's mental. Why couldn't my gf just put items in her handbag then if using your own bag was the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Piliger wrote: »
    Errrr no .... That does not help me understand it.

NO other supermarket thinks this idiotic anti-customer action is required.

I have never encountered this kind of thing !

And I have NO intention of shopping there again.

Along with the baskets I think they should provide wheelie Bins with bar code scanners fitted to the lid and their produce will get to the proper place much faster.

• Advertisement

Literally never put stuff in my own bag before I've paid for it, that's mental.

I see people all around me every week using their own Tesco or Dunnes bags. It's the most common thing next to using baskets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Not much of a piliger if you are out shopping OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

HondaSami wrote: »
    Really? if you consent they can search i thought.

Generally staff are told not to because it will go against you in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881989

Above thread might help you understand what type are trying to prevent.
    No more than OP I don't understand how this stops shoplifting.

I used to do this in France and do it here at home in Dunnes, tecsos, aldi, lidl, M&S, Centra, SuperValue, where-ever. The check-out straff seem au faiy with the idea so I've never had a problem and don't really see how using their basket in the shop helps to stop robbing by walking out with unpaid-for items on your person or in your own bag.

mathepac wrote: »
    The check-out straff seem au faiy with the idea so I've never had a problem and don't really see how using their basket in the shop helps to stop robbing by walking out with unpaid-for items on your person or in your own bag.

Absolutely right. If it did ... don't you think they would ALL be doing ... oh yes they would.

No - this is a stupid and idiotic policy that insults shoppers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you look doddgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I have never seen this in Spain, if fact quite the opposite.

There is one supermarket(can't quite remember the name) but the have a heat sealing machine at the entrance of the store and the seal any plastic bags you go in with and you must also "check" any other shopping receptacles you have via a ticket system.

Just came back to me, its called "Eroski"

Smidge wrote: »
    ... Just came back to me, its called "Eroski"
    Sounds more like the Polish love-god (or a Russian mistake) than a Spanish super-market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pay Kenny show did a few segments with shoplifters last month.

People cover the inside of the sportsbag in tinfoil and it won't set off the exit alarm.

Maybe something they're cracking down on?

There was a shop in Dublin that put the small alarms on meat!

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

There was a shop in Dublin that put the small alarms on meat!
    It was galloping off the shelves. :rolleyes:

Advertisement