Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Children's Allowance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People complaining should be thankful that you live in a country that support you in rising your kids. A monthly payment that is paid for by the people including people without children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Ah come on, lets be realistic here, those bills have to be paid.

Working parents have posted on this thread about people on welfare who never worked coming out better than them and they are right, that shouldn't be the case but when one of them admits his wife would give up a job to go on welfare when there are so many unemployed noone will say this is wrong.

Look, if it's a choice between feeding their kids or paying their tv license and motor tax, they will feed their kids.

It's an indictment of current policy if it's more affordable to not work than to work, not of those who have to give up work because they cannot afford to work. Creche fees alone are an awful lot of money. Even look at commuting... do you have a car? You will have noticed how substantially more expensive it is to travel anywhere, even on short runs because the cost of petrol is astronomical. And before you say a car is a luxury, in most of this country it is a necessity. And of course this universal social charge is bludgeoning people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Look, if it's a choice between feeding their kids or paying their tv license and motor tax, they will feed their kids.

It's an indictment of current policy if it's more affordable to not work than to work, not of those who have to give up work because they cannot afford to work. Creche fees alone are an awful lot of money. Even look at commuting... do you have a car? You will have noticed how substantially more expensive it is to travel anywhere, even on short runs because the cost of petrol is astronomical. And before you say a car is a luxury, in most of this country it is a necessity. And of course this universal social charge is bludgeoning people.

Yes I have a car as I have to travel 50 miles to work everyday.

The point I am making is people gave out about skangers breeding and drawing welfare (points I agreed with btw) but are silent in the post I highlighted.

The system is flawed but at the end of the day people make a choice to have kids and giving up a job to go on welfare because childminding costs are high and getting the taxpayer to foot the bill ain't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I agree with you about taxing people too hard, I just have a real problem with people like the guy above who admits he would draw welfare and give up a job.

The trouble is, and I'm not agreeing with him, by the way, that this is the attitude that is being trumpeted at all of us from every angle. No sense of community, shared load, or shared responsibility. Everyone out to protect their own patch.

This attitude trickles down from from the very top, whether it's the politicians who lie to get into power and refuse to show leadership in taking the pain, the well-heeled who declare that they will flee the country rather than pay a bit more, the bankers and Quinns who want the country to pay their gambling debts, Europe who would happily see ireland's economy destroyed in order to get its pound of flesh, unions who refuse to give a little, even if the jobs for life are retained, cuts targeted at front-line services in preference to back-office services because its easier, no sense that the cuts and taxes being suffered are being matched by taxes being used any more wisely.

Is it any wonder, when the prevailing culture is "every man for himself" that people really start to take that on board and act accordingly?

“From now on I'm thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?”

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Yes I have a car as I have to travel 50 miles to work everyday.

The point I am making is people gave out about skangers breeding and drawing welfare (points I agreed with btw) but are silent in the post I highlighted.

The system is flawed but at the end of the day people make a choice to have kids and giving up a job to go on welfare because childminding costs are high and getting the taxpayer to foot the bill ain't right.

Because on a sinking ship it's every man for himself. It will get worse, don't you worry. I heard on the radio about a woman who got into a car accident, and the town got word of it and while she was in the hospital her house got robbed. You will see more and more of this venality.

The system is more than flawed, it's extortionist, and I mean on the working people of Ireland, between negative equity, double taxations, universal social charges, as well as paying for AI Bank which collapsed anyway.

People arent going to give out about the poster you highlighted because they can empathise with him and because there are children involved. People love to give out about skangers, but struggling working people, no they don't because they really are struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Valetta wrote: »
    You cannot simply "give up work and claim the dole". That's illegal.

It's called "Job Seekers Benefit/allowance" for a reason. To assist people seeking a job.

By definition if you voluntarily give up a job you are not seeking one, and are not entitled to claim anything.
    It can't be illegal if so many thousands are doing this, and still new people do this. That is the law. you can quit job, and after few weeks yoh get money off the state. whatever it is called.
    hoodwinked wrote: »
    tax payers that won't exist if they keep upping taxes and lowering benefits paid to them,
    when welfare > working at €30,000pa you have a huge problem in your state,

something has to give, either they ease up on taxing incomes, or they cut welfare in half.
    otherwise you create ireland today where a welfare family has a higher standard of living then a working family.
    +1 and solution issimple. childcare is the most costly factor. let government create creches, give new jobs, substiciade places in creches for.working parents. everyone is happy then. also use chb of working parents as part of their contribution to cover cost of creche.
    Terrible attitude to have, to go on welfare rather than work.
    terrible attitude to have to make unemployed more wealthy than working parents.
    I agree with you about taxing people too hard, I just have a real problem with people like the guy above who admits he would draw welfare and give up a job.
    I'm only an immigrant. working here 9.5 years, whose wife works here 8.5 years it was all ok few years back, now we are hit harder and harder every year for a crisis we have nothing to do with. now after all these years we are in a situation where full week at work working for much more than lowest pay make you worse by 500 euro per month than being unemployed. ( 2 kids is not a massive number of kids you agree on this?) we just look after our budget. we are not going to steal any money, NEVER. we think to do something that is allowed by Irish law. quit job and get social money for my wife until kids are in the school and we dont need to pay so much for childcare.

if you have problem with this blame government , not us.
    professore wrote: »
    It should be a tax credit. Give people a tax credit for each child they have, after all the larger family is contributing a lot more, both short and especially long term, to the economy.

If you are unemployed, there could be a flat rate paid regardless of how many children you have. Or maybe food and clothing stamps or something like that. It's unfair that unemployed people get more dole depending on how many children they have. This doesn't happen for the working family.
    +1. childcare allowance for working parents Instead of chb would make a trick.
    Ah come on, lets be realistic here, those bills have to be paid.

Working parents have posted on this thread about people on welfare who never worked coming out better than them and they are right, that shouldn't be the case but when one of them admits his wife would give up a job to go on welfare when there are so many unemployed noone will say this is wrong.
    +1

+1

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    we think to do something that is allowed by Irish law. quit job and get social money for my wife until kids are in the school and we dont need to pay so much for childcare.

if you have problem with this blame government , not us.

Yeah and taxpayers like me foot the bill for it.

Because on a sinking ship it's every man for himself. It will get worse, don't you worry. I heard on the radio about a woman who got into a car accident, and the town got word of it and while she was in the hospital her house got robbed. You will see more and more of this venality.

The system is more than flawed, it's extortionist, and I mean on the working people of Ireland, between negative equity, double taxations, universal social charges, as well as paying for AI Bank which collapsed anyway.

People arent going to give out about the poster you highlighted because they can empathise with him and because there are children involved. People love to give out about skangers, but struggling working people, no they don't because they really are struggling.

We are on the same page as regards working people, they can't take any more while TDs are on an average of 100 k a year, the fools aren't worth a quarter of it.

:D
    Yeah and taxpayers like me foot the bill for it.
    At the moment I foot bill for this as well. Don't forget it we are tax payers too. But we cant afford it any longer. look for info on this in other european countries. where else it will cost you 60% of your average salary to send 2 kids to creche? and dont tell me to go somewhere else. Unfortunately it is not easy with mortgage to pay.

:D
    At the moment I foot bill for this as well. Don't forget it we are tax payers too. But we cant afford it any longer. look for info on this in other european countries. where else it will cost you 60% of your average salary to send 2 kids to creche? and dont tell me to go somewhere else. Unfortunately it is not easy with mortgage to pay.

I've a mortgage to pay as well and I guarantee you I earn lot less than you do.

You're playing the system to your own advantage and as long as people continue this nothing will change.

You had kids, it's up to you to pay for childcare.

• Advertisement

You're playing the system to your own advantage and as long as people continue this nothing will change.

You may have had some entitlement to your riteousness once upon a time, but seriously, now it's the ECB and Anglo who deserve it.

There are plenty of people paying for other people's mortgages through their universal social charge, people who never took out a mortgage because they could never get on the ladder. And there are others still paying full mortgages to the bank, even though the universal social charges taken from their paycheck is paying for these mortgages. This is the real injustice, not someone who has kids and struggles to pay creche fees or summer camp fees.

I presume you grew up in Ireland and your mother received child benefit? so you directly benefited from childless [as well as parents] people who paid into a system that compensated your mother and father for their choice to have you. It's a bit rich at this point to judge others when you benefited yourself from it.

And now people want to tax CB to continue paying for this government ponzi scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I paid €3000 in USC last year, and a whopper in income tax, tell me what's this emergency tax you speak of?!?

You paid €3,000 in USC last year so you have an income of around €53,000?

That's just bad financial management if you can't survive without children's allowance on that income.

I could say the same about people who decide not to have kids. their tax money are being spent now who will pay their pension in the future if not my/ others kids?
    It is never ending story to be honest and having no kids is not good to economy. If all people who would be better on the dole than work had no kids there would be nobody left in the country in few decades.

You may have had some entitlement to your riteousness once upon a time, but seriously, now it's the ECB and Anglo who deserve it.

There are plenty of people paying for other people's mortgages through their universal social charge, people who never took out a mortgage because they could never get on the ladder. And there are others still paying full mortgages to the bank, even though the universal social charges taken from their paycheck is paying for these mortgages. This is the real injustice, not someone who has kids and struggles to pay creche fees or summer camp fees.

I presume you grew up in Ireland and your mother received child benefit? so you directly benefited from childless [as well as parents] people who paid into a system that compensated your mother and father for their choice to have you. It's a bit rich at this point to judge others when you benefited yourself from it.

And now people want to tax CB to continue paying for this government ponzi scheme.

One difference, my parents instilled a work ethic in us and didn't decide to give up work because it suited.

Also I was born in 1974 so would have been a kid in the 1980s were things were probably even tougher than now.

I could say the same about people who decide not to have kids. their tax money are being spent now who will pay their pension in the future if not my/ others kids?
    It is never ending story to be honest and having no kids is not good to economy. If all people who would be better on the dole than work had no kids there would be nobody left in the country in few decades.

Not a good arguement really, pensioners have worked all their lives and are entitled to what they get.

It comes full circle really, workers pay for the CA and when they retire those kids who are now working pay for the pension, seems a fair trade off.

One difference, my parents instilled a work ethic in us and didn't decide to give up work because it suited.

Also I was born in 1974 so would have been a kid in the 1980s were things were probably even tougher than now.

Ok but they still got child benefit didn't they? Paid by tax payers who paid into a system and then had to emigrate? Have you told them it's up to them to pay for their children and not take tax money for it? Or were they so noble that they didn't accept the CB handout from the government?

Have you asked them, if working became expensive enough that they couldn't afford to work what they would have done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Terrible attitude to have, to go on welfare rather than work.

I don't think that's his attitude at all. He is simply saying that work is not worth it as most of the money goes to pay other people and taxes, which is a pretty good point.

There is a point where people will be it out 40 hours a week into work when there is little real benefit. In reality, in this case, the individual issuing that 4 weeks work nets them 300 euro, which is 160 hours, paying just under 2 euro per an hour in reality.

Now the poster is making an excellent point but you seem to be trying to distract from it for some reason. I would not work for that kind of an outcome and the likely outcome is that this person will loose part of cb as well if it is means tested or taxed.

When they take of means testing, or taxing, if they are serious about it, they need to base it on full household income. Indiiduaisation is a curse!

Ok but they still got child benefit didn't they? Paid by tax payers who paid into a system and then had to emigrate? Have you told them it's up to them to pay for their children and not take tax money for it? Or were they so noble that they didn't accept the CB handout from the government?

Have you asked them, if working became expensive enough that they couldn't afford to work what they would have done?

I never said people shouldn't get the CA and you can look back thru my posts if you don't believe me.

As to your second point no I can't ask them anything anymore.

wexfordman wrote: »
    I don't think that's his attitude at all. He is simply saying that work is not worth it as most of the money goes to pay other people and taxes, which is a pretty good point.

There is a point where people will be it out 40 hours a week into work when there is little real benefit. In reality, in this case, the individual issuing that 4 weeks work nets them 300 euro, which is 160 hours, paying just under 2 euro per an hour in reality.

Now the poster is making an excellent point but you seem to be trying to distract from it for some reason. I would not work for that kind of an outcome and the likely outcome is that this person will loose part of cb as well if it is means tested or taxed.

When they take of means testing, or taxing, if they are serious about it, they need to base it on full household income. Indiiduaisation is a curse!

Someone saying they will give up a steady job when half a million would kill for work is wrong, no matter how you look at it.

Someone saying they will give up a steady job when half a million would kill for work is wrong, no matter how you look at it.

Really? I cant be that absolutist about it.

While the government continues its fraud I withhold judgement on what people do, because it is pure exploitation..

• Advertisement

Not a good arguement really, pensioners have worked all their lives and are entitled to what they get.

It comes full circle really, workers pay for the CA and when they retire those kids who are now working pay for the pension, seems a fair trade off.
    You are dead right . Pensioners are entitled to every cent they get. but the truth is that their tax contributions are not saved for them for their future but are spent presently. so when you get to.reirement age it will be my kids contributing towards your pension. If there are no kids you won't get your pension. simple.

And before somebody star judging my family. we are only considering that my wife quit.her job to have more money to meet month end. it is only one option at.the moment. Sbe is trying to find better paid job, same as me. Our parents worked all their life. We work since we finished studies almost 10 years ago.

Is it really so.difficult to create more jobs in creches and run some of them through councils? It will benefit.economy for.sure. working parents would have to.even think about going on the dole because.of creche bills.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It is a good argument really, it is recognized as a benefit to a country to have high fertility, here's what happens if we don't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan

CA is an entitlement the same as pensions btw. In fact I'd prefer to cut pensions before taxing child benefit.

You need to stop being so simple minded about your approach to this. I and the other poster specifically detailed many of the issues that are in fact valid reasons for not deciding to remain in the workforce. These are decisions made every day by people, and not by people who you seem to think have a poor work ethic.

If you simply apply your logic, then the easy solution to all our unemployment is to offer everyone a job for 100 euro a week.

The problem needs to be tackled by looking at what incentives people to work, at what point do people decide that rearing children is more rewarding than working for an effective benefit of 2 euro per hour.

I've been working for over 20 years in full employment and am paid a good wage, but I can honestly say, there is a point, not very far away, where I see most of my effort going to pay for the benefit of others, and the other myself and my family. That's the problem!

You need to stop being so simple minded about your approach to this. I and the other poster specifically detailed many of the issues that are in fact valid reasons for not deciding to remain in the workforce. These are decisions made every day by people, and not by people who you seem to think have a poor work ethic.

If you simply apply your logic, then the easy solution to all our unemployment is to offer everyone a job for 100 euro a week.

The problem needs to be tackled by looking at what incentives people to work, at what point do people decide that rearing children is more rewarding than working for an effective benefit of 2 euro per hour.

I've been working for over 20 years in full employment and am paid a good wage, but I can honestly say, there is a point, not very far away, where I see most of my effort going to pay for the benefit of others, and the other myself and my family. That's the problem!

No I never said that people should be on a €100 a week job, workers should be paid for what they do.

Some posters seem to think that it's ok when things get tough to opt for welfare, I don't share this view.

I never denied families have high childcare costs but that isn't the taxpayers problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Le_Dieux wrote: »

While, in the main, I totally agree, there are a LOT of families who will suffer if this goes through. Why not means test to see who gets the CA? Surely it can't be that difficult? This bunch in DE seem to want to tax every fcuking thing under the sun, if they are allowed to get away with it. Back in the 80's the same 'party' also tried to put VAT on children's shoes - I think Dukes might have been the Leader at the time - and that attempted move blew up in their faces and they were out of power nearly on the blink of an eye.

History going to repeat itself all over again I think!

I agree. I think this is going to be the final nail in the coffin for this shower of power hungry cretins hopefully it'll come sooner rather than later...their demise that it is.

No I never said that people should be on a €100 a week job, workers should be paid for what they do.

Some posters seem to think that it's ok when things get tough to opt for welfare, I don't share this view.

I never denied families have high childcare costs but that isn't the taxpayers problem.

It is when they are the taxpayer. Don't address this and you will lose more taxpayers.

That's at least three times you've ignored the substance ofna thread, so I'll not bother repeat it again, bar summarise it.... You have to have an incentive to work, many feel at the moment the incentive to work is to pay benefits for other people. This person is effectively working for 2 euro an hour... That's not an incentive to work.

Anyway, you'll likely ignore these issues again, so that's the last ill say about it

That's at least three times you've ignored the substance ofna thread, so I'll not bother repeat it again, bar summarise it.... You have to have an incentive to work, many feel at the moment the incentive to work is to pay benefits for other people. This person is effectively working for 2 euro an hour... That's not an incentive to work.

Anyway, you'll likely ignore these issues again, so that's the last ill say about it

I ignored nothing, you are saying people should be paid a good wage, I agreed with this so what's the problem?

I Ignored nothing, you are saying people should be paid a good wage, I agreed with this so what's the problem?

The second half of the equation! The disincentive to work by over taxing working people, by taxing those who contribute more, by making it unfeasible for someone to earn a reasonable wage without incur ring ridiculous expenses just to get to work.

By removing individualisation and not forcing both couples out to work rather than allow them both contribute to running the household and child minding. By allowing couples decide to have one stay at home parent and treat them with a level of fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Explain it to me please

You get taxed on income that the government gives you?
    Does that mean you get the full allowance and then you pay higher PAYE or they reduce the amount you get?

would it not be simpler just to reduce the child allowance?

Advertisement