Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponge it - surveys / focus groups for rewards?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

I just received an unsolicited mail from a company called sponge it who do online surveys. No mention of where or how they got my email address or how to unsubscribe from their mailing list.

Anyway further investigation shows that they are a marketing company that award 'points' for completing focus group tasks and survey questions. The points can then be redeemed for vouchers and consumer goods.

I don't know why they don't award Euros instead of their 'points'. Euros can be redeemed for pretty much all goods and services and are widely accepted, at least in the Eurozone.

Anyway I think it looks like a scam and I am wondering if anyone here did this kind of thing and what their experience of it is?

From a business point of view I find it difficult to fathom how they can extract meaningful statistics from the data. For example a recent survey of theirs showed that the vast majority of people are financially insecure and have no money at the end of every month.

Presumably though the percentage is so high because all the people they surveyed are the kind of people who spend their day at home doing online surveys to get free stuff. I can't imagine many company CEOs and surgeons do it like.

What are your thoughts AH?

tl;dr version : Did you ever do online surveys or focus groups and what was your experience of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Q1. How do you feel about being asked this question?

o Not Bad
    o Not Good
    o Somewhere inbetween
    o Donkey Kong

Thank you, your HMV voucher is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I received the same email - never heard of them before either

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

I got the email also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I got the same email, except they offered me €50 :pac:
    Yeah.... no thanks.

Hi there,

Would you like to participate in a focus group and receive 50 euro for giving 90 minutes of your time?

We are conducting focus groups across Ireland over the next two weeks and are looking for people who would be willing to participate.

The groups will take place in many locations across the country so please don’t rule yourself out if you are not living near a city or large town.

If you are interested in taking part, please register your interest and answer three questions in the following survey:

Link to the survey here

We will begin making telephone calls tomorrow to select people for the groups.

Thank you.

The Sponge It Team

I just got an email from them too - don't know where they got my name. They offered me money though - my opinion must be worth more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

stunmer wrote: »
    I got the email also

Aw lads.............have you all signed up to the same horny, single midget website?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I just got one too, went into my spam folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Aw lads.............have you all signed up to the same horny, single midget website?

I thought I was the only one. Who knew they were doing surveys also?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well I guess we know where the boards.ie database info went.

I'd urge you to complain here so the Data Protection Commissioner can investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Interesting . I've got one this evening too.

Didn't trust it so I googled and ended up here.

I know my e-mail address is widely in the public arena. Several years ago I got a document with about 20 pages of other e-mail addresses from one spammer!!

I was offered €50 too to complete a survey

Hi there,

Would you like to participate in a focus group and receive 50 euro for giving 90 minutes of your time?

We are conducting focus groups across Ireland over the next two weeks and are looking for people who would be willing to participate.

The groups will take place in many locations across the country so please don’t rule yourself out if you are not living near a city or large town.

If you are interested in taking part, please register your interest and answer three questions in the following survey:

Link to Survey: http://surveyanalytics.com/t/ACFGkZNtFW

We will begin making telephone calls tomorrow to select people for the groups.

Thank you.

The Sponge It Team

w. www.spongeit.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

I got one also offering €50 for doing a survey. I didn't open it - the offer was in the subject line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I got the email too. Someone be brave and do it and let the rest of us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Witchie wrote: »
    I got the email too. Someone be brave and do it and let the rest of us know how you get on.

I got the email also.
    No clue where they got my email but I'll tell you what. I'll sign up and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I got one too.

Only thing that comes to mind is I signed up for topaz award scheme recently.

(not implying anything btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Oh crap lads.

I clicked into, was asked my age, county of residence and email and phone number.

Ok that was stupid of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I got it too, it was hidden in my sexy Russian girls folder though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sky King wrote: »
    I just received an unsolicited mail from a company called sponge it who do online surveys. No mention of where or how they got my email address or how to unsubscribe from their mailing list.
    stunmer wrote: »
    I got the email also

Y'all filled out a survey for...........wait for it......Boards.ie

Funnily enough, I don't remember being asked would I agree to being contacted with regard to future research and I don't remember Spongeit's name appearing anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Richard Corkery is a ****.

I would advise anyone who received it to report them to spamcop

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Y'all filled out a survey for...........wait for it......Boards.ie

Funnily enough, I don't remember being asked would I agree to being contacted with regard to future research and I don't remember Spongeit's name appearing anywhere.

*Makes extra large bag of popcorn and subscribes. :D

MadsL wrote: »
    *Makes extra large bag of popcorn and subscribes. :D

I asked Spongeit how they'd come by my details, after they sent me a Xmas 'thank you' message:

We would never contact someone if they haven’t given us their email address in a piece of research that they complete with us.

Our records show that you participated in a piece we conducted with Boards.ie

You are not on our research panel and you will never be contacted to be asked to participate in research. To date you should not have received any mail to conduct research.

We simply have been thanking everyone for taking part in research with us

With kindest regards

The Sponge it team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I got it too. If they're offering money then it defo a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Doesn't anyone know the difference between a survey and a focus group?

I asked Spongeit how they'd come by my details, after they sent me a Xmas 'thank you' message:

Fuck the popcorn, I'm opening a beer, this should be good!

*cough* facebook page *cough

Doesn't anyone know the difference between a survey and a focus group?

C) All of the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Got the email too, with the promise of a €50 reward :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

My boards email addy is different to the one they spammed me on. I have no recollection of giving this one to boards.

There was no method of unsubscribing mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Me too - €50 offered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I got an email too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Me too 50 euro....anyone click it?

• Advertisement

For a focus group you go to a place and are shown stuff and asked your opinion. Given how many of us here have got it we could easily sway opinion: nuts and gum - together at last.

Advertisement