Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponge it - surveys / focus groups for rewards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I got the mail too. It looked dodgy so I deleted it.
    molly09 wrote: »
    I also got it offering 50E

You got offered 50E? :eek: What's the street value for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Wait.... so im NOT getting €50?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Johro wrote: »
    Yeah you're one of the chosen suckers.;)

its ok to be jealous of moi - many people are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Any update on this débacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sky King wrote: »
    Any update on this débacle?

See attached from their FB page
    Spongeit xx, you should not have received this mail. In the past you will not have received any invitations to surveys from us as we do not have you on our general panel. Some people who we deal with prefer not to be on our survey panel but want to participate in focus groups. It seems your email address somehow was included with this group when it should not have been. This should not have happened and we are investigating how it did and will be in touch directly today about this. We apologies for any inconvenience caused. We would like to make a donation of €50 to your charity of choice, please tell us who you would like us to make this donation to.

Spongeit We will post a recepit of this donation on this page.
    20 minutes ago ·

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

€50 for each unsolicited email? Folks, we could make a big difference to the Jack & Jill foundation, or the Irish Cancer society...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just checked and yep, same email in my junk folder. I think I vaguely remember taking a census on Boards, not sure though...

Duly deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Got the email as well offering €50. It went to an email address I use for boards.ie. Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I also got this e-mail, not impressed.
    I've marked it as spam in GMail, maybe they can block his address.
    MadsL wrote: »
    SCREAM LIMITED
    Identification number:272223
    -
    Address 56 DARTMOUTH SQUARE RANELAGH DUBLIN 6

When are we meeting up with pitchforks and marching on Dartmouth Square?

Anyone know how much is costs to post a fresh pile of human excrement to Ranelagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Zulu wrote: »
    €50 for each unsolicited email? Folks, we could make a big difference to the Jack & Jill foundation, or the Irish Cancer society...

The legal fine on conviction is up to €3,000 per offence (i.e. per spam)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Got offered €50.. reported them to data protection with a link to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I got it too - It thought it might be because I did participate in a focus group a few months ago and got €50 and free wine and sammiches. I wasn't going to reply but it didn't have my spam spidey tense tingling straight away so I can see how people might get suckered in. The name seemed familiar to me for some reason.

Where on earth did they get my email address from? It was sent to an address that I don't use to sign up to many things and I don't recall doing a boards survey - although maybe I just blanked that from my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi there folks,

This has been done without our knowledge or permission I can assure you all, I'm getting in contact with them now to ask what the frak is going on.

More news as I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

just to add myself to the growing list, I also received the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Got this too at 19.28 last night offering me fiddy euro.

Might report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'd like to know why there was no way to unsubscribe from the mailing list. This 'internal mailing list' sounds like an excuse to be honest. Also, why were my details held onto, when I specifically opted out of that at the time of completing the Boards census?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Why did the post from spoge it under davs vanish? Stranger and stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

shinikins wrote: »
    This 'internal mailing list' sounds like an excuse to be honest.

Post appears to have vanished :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sky King wrote: »
    Post appears to have vanished :confused:

Interestingly so did mine. The one which asked them to clarify their position on donating €50 to charity. The one where I pointed out that the Jack & Jill foundation would be worthy of such a kind donation...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Interestingly so did mine. The one which asked them to clarify their position on donating €50 to charity. The one where I pointed out that the Jack & Jill foundation would be worthy of such a kind donation...
    Hmmmm, this is strange!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

To be honest a communication about this apparent balls up is best coming from somewhat verified / official sources. The posts in question have been removed pending a more official reply from a verified source.

As sponge it have not contacted the mods of the forum here to ask to post I can't confirm that that post is from who they claim to be. I believe they have been pointed in the direction of communicating directly with the boards office to get a response / apology / explanation out to the people who appear to have been spammed unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got the email too - went into my spam folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I've received a response from Sponge IT who are currently talking with the Data Commissioners about this. They've admitted it was an error and so the best thing I can do right now is let them deal with the DPC's office and await their response to my emails when that's done. The DPC's office is great, they don't like to leave people waiting, but compiling and reviewing this sort of thing takes several hours, so it's only fair that we allow them the time to do that properly.

There was a post deleted - it was an unverified account, so we remove them as standard practice (and I'll happily post any comments on Sponge IT's behalf into this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

I got the email offering 50 euro from them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

snap...same email. the fifty was tempting. didn't do anything with it...yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The spam mail was sent to me too. I'll await their response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So are Spongeit working with the King of Nigeria, or is that a separate deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Ok, weird one.
    I got this mail last night and read it on my phone(not to my junk folder - to my inbox). Went to look at it again there and it's gone, not in deleted folders etc. So logged into my email account on the comp and it's not there either, not in deleted folders and can't find it when I search for it..
    I definitely didn't deleted and surely since I read it, they couldn't recall it.
    Seems a bit suspect.. or is it possible if it was recalled that even though I read it it would have been deleted?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Juicyfruit wrote: »
    Ok, weird one.
    I got this mail last night and read it on my phone(not to my junk folder - to my inbox). Went to look at it again there and it's gone, not in deleted folders etc. So logged into my email account on the comp and it's not there either, not in deleted folders and can't find it when I search for it..
    I definitely didn't deleted and surely since I read it, they couldn't recall it.
    Seems a bit suspect.. or is it possible if it was recalled that even though I read it it would have been deleted?

This happens me a lot too.

It's why I stopped drinking in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Surely spongeit should not have access to the full or the opt out database (whichever is the case) even if it was a case of mailing list error.

Advertisement