Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I won't get to even see mine for at least another hour. :(

Have you tried cleaning the RAM with alcohol?

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Can one of you kind folks could let me know if you had success with PC10600 ram installed, and if the pc will show a boot screen with no ram installed? Hopefully it's just a ram issue, I don't fancy doing an RMA on this.

Got mine this evening, booting fine from a single stick of Patriot 2GB PC3-10600. About €9 on Amazon.

OpenElec has ~1.8GB free most of the time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Allyall wrote: »
    I won't get to even see mine for at least another hour. :(

Have you tried cleaning the RAM with alcohol?
    Yeah I cleaned them after the first boot failed, same result after cleaning.
    Got mine this evening, booting fine from a single stick of Patriot 2GB PC3-10600. About €9 on Amazon.

OpenElec has ~1.8GB free most of the time :pac:

This ram here --> link ? I don't suppose you tired booting without any ram installed, it would be nice to know if there was a boot screen with no ram in the system. As thing stand I get no boot screen with or without my PC3-10600 ram installed but if you where getting a boot screen without ram it would suggest the issue with my pc is not ram and it may need to be RMA'ed :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    What is your opinion of it as a Win 7 machine?
    Ok, this is as far as I've got this eveing:

Got blu-ray version Arctic box packaged with HDMI cable (about a metre long but no spec on it such as 1.3 or 1.4?), also little aerial for DVB tuner. The power adapter came with a cable with a two-pin connection for the wall socket so I changed that out with a three-pin cable found elsewhere in the house.

On startup it took a while to complete the first run step-up for Win7. All setup selections where preset to German, Germany location etc.

The wireless keyboard worked straight away (Logitech K400) - no installing required.

Anti-virus is MS Security Essentials - didn't have to load it, it loaded and updated all on its own. really nice to have that already done for you.

I found my TV piture was missing the edges but I went into my actual TV settings under Menu I turned off overscan and sorted that problem. Thankfully I didn't have to go messing with drivers on the new machine to sort it out.

There is very little in terms of bloatware on this machine, if none at all. It is running very smoothly. It does have a nice simple background picture by Arctic though.

So at the moment I'm doing a full windows update and once that's done I'll look to pop Chrome on, and then XBMC. Really really nice machine I have to say.

Comparing this with an Asus EeePC 1201T, because it doesn't have any add-on crap and the Arctic has a little faster processor, it runs reallywell. It'll be tested when I start adding programs as things go. Also I'll keep an eye on the side casing to see how (luke) warm it gets.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

This ram here --> link ? I don't suppose you tired booting without any ram installed, it would be nice to know if there was a boot screen with no ram in the system. As thing stand I get no boot screen with or without my PC3-10600 ram installed but if you where getting a boot screen without ram it would suggest the issue with my pc is not ram and it may need to be RMA'ed :eek:.

Yes, that's the ram I got.

Its not possible to boot any system without RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

i seem to have a faulty one :(. It seems to be booting up( all lights are on) but there is nothing showing up on the screen.

Brother in law got one the exact same, same ram , same hd and his seems to be ok, we swapped over everything but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

i had the same power up situation and if you press the "del" key immediately after power on gives you the bios screen where you can pick the boot device order.

i have linux mint installed and its working fine

hope this helps

i seem to have a faulty one :(. It seems to be booting up( all lights are on) but there is nothing showing up on the screen.

Brother in law got one the exact same, same ram , same hd and his seems to be ok, we swapped over everything but no luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck. I emailed off the reseller so hopefully i'll hear something from him. I'd say i'll be packing it up and sending it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

That's exactly what I've got, thought it may have been incompatible ram but with " I Kill You Scum!" confirming that PC3-10600 works on his system + your post I'm thinking otherwise now.

I pressed the "del" key immediately after power on but got nothing...

That's exactly what I've got, thought it may have been incompatible ram but with " I Kill You Scum!" confirming that PC3-10600 works on his system + your post I'm thinking otherwise now.

I pressed the "del" key immediately after power on but got nothing...

Not a ram issue anyway, identical ram worked in the other system and we swapped it out just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Can these take a standard 2.5 laptop hdd?

Can these take a standard 2.5 laptop hdd?

Yep.

Just about to pull mine out of the box.. :D Reading back all the posts i hope i don't have any problems..

Yep.

Just about to pull mine out of the box.. :D Reading back all the posts i hope i don't have any problems..
    Cheers haven't had a chance to get at mine yet need to get the memory I ordered delivered first anyway. I'll use it for movies from an external drive but going to install a 250gb laptop hdd I have spare. Don't fancy opening it and removing the plastic pads and risk damaging it later, going to setup and leave it untouched then. Fingers crossed....

Cheers haven't had a chance to get at mine yet need to get the memory I ordered delivered first anyway. I'll use it for movies from an external drive but going to install a 250gb laptop hdd I have spare. Don't fancy opening it and removing the plastic pads and risk damaging it later, going to setup and leave it untouched then. Fingers crossed....

...... I left my feckin' memory in my bag.. Shiiit. :mad:

Ass. I think i may have some RAM i can dig out.

That's terribly annoying.

...... I left my feckin' memory in my bag.. Shiiit. :mad:

Ass. I think i may have some RAM i can dig out.

That's terribly annoying.
    Yeah mines here all day but I have no ram that fits it. Who would have thought the ram would take longer to deliver then the unit it's self.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I install openelec on a usb stick and all seems ok, I will fit a HD later and boot from that. So far I'm delighted with the box. A few little tweeks to get everything working, sound, network and so on. The only gripe is the lack of add-on's at the moment for the beta version 3 but these will come in time I'm sure. Would love a choice with the skins tho!

I've got an unknown device for the DVB hardware listed in device manager. Looks like I'll have to go find that elsewhere online as Windows update didn't find any drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Astrofluff,
    Just go to the arctic website and go to support.Select home entertainment and the mc001 then there is a pdf withthe drivers.Download that and open,,
    All the drivers are there.
    The only one i could not get to load is the one for the ir.

Anyone else install openelec 3 beta, just wondering if you get any add-ons or sking other than default ones.

I'm thinking maybe it's just me?

m8 wrote: »
    Anyone else install openelec 3 beta, just wondering if you get any add-ons or sking other than default ones.

I'm thinking maybe it's just me?

The only repositories you get are the official XBMC one and the OpenElec one. If you want more addons you need to manually install more repositories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Just to let you guys know.I did get into the house and i did get this baby up and running.Put windows 7 on it and xbmc with dvbviewer recording service.
    Did'nt want to go to work today so i could have a right play with this.
    The case sure does get hot but i guess thats to be expected.
    Will update with more info later!!;)

The only repositories you get are the official XBMC one and the OpenElec one. If you want more addons you need to manually install more repositories.

I don't get any and that is my issue. under add-ons all are blank no skins no add-ons at all.

What I was asking does anyone get anything under add-ons or are they blank for everyone?

m8 wrote: »
    I don't get any and that is my issue. under add-ons all are blank no skins no add-ons at all.

What I was asking does anyone get anything under add-ons or are they blank for everyone?

Ah right, I answered that above and then edited it because I thought I misread the question.

You just need to refresh/update the repos. You press either i or c but one of them brings up a context menu with an option to refresh/force update.

OK I will try that tonight thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Got mine today. Prob wont get to look at it till the weekend though between work and college.

Looking forward to getting it setup.

Updated the DVB driver - tried setting up TV through Windows Media centre - either the antenna is too crap or the software won't scan for x16 flag channels - for anyone who has got TV working, what are you using for both antenna and software?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

How loud is it under load?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's silent apart from disk drives. Passive cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hey folks, I'm thinking about one of these alright. Looks interesting. My German's not up to scratch so can I ask a question of ye?

It's a barebones system so it comes with no HDD/RAM. Does anyone know what RAM it takes? Does it take Laptop or desktop RAM? I have a 2 gig Laptop DIMM at home (Not sure about the pin count though)

I'm asuming it takes a 2.5 in HDD.

Oh, I knew there was another question. The site seemed to recommend an MCI remote. Does this device have a built-in IR detector or does it need a USB adaptor?

Cheers for the info folks

• Advertisement

Hey lads was looking to stick 2gb of ram that I have spare into this while I wait for my ram to arrive what's the danger in taking the plastic of in the inside and reopening the unit later to replace the ram. Is it worth doing to test or would you recommend I leave it and just open and close once.

Advertisement