Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Seaneh wrote: »
    The best breweries in the world are probably American.

Breweries like Odell, Dogfish Head, Russian River, Deschutes and a few others are absolutely peerless and making the most innovative beers in the world.

The best brewery in the world is probably Danish;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Was in one in London last year they had some lovley cask beers for 2 pounds a pint and half pound steaks for a fiver seemed better to me than a lot of places over here
    Against the grain is nice but me and the misses ate and drank 70€ in a matter of three hours as its a dear option
    I knew whether spoons must be rough enough because people were very careful that they didn't bump into each other and you get that in pubs where anyone could kick off at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lyaiera wrote: »
    American beers are grand, some are even great but America has really embraced the IPA craze. I'm not a fan of that and would much prefer to go for a Belgian dark ale or a German wheat beer. But that's the thing about craft beers, you're able to make that choice.

And I can think of six pubs here that have a big enough selection of craft beers without even trying hard.

Here's some US examples to try.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/89

5 of the top ten Hefeweizens in that list are US beers.

As for the Belgian Darks, the US out-Belgians the Belgians...
    http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/119

The best brewery in the world is probably Danish;)

Danes should try harder to not let it leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Wetherspoons is ****.

Four stars!?

I reckon it's only about ★☆☆☆☆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

MadsL wrote: »

First off, I think beer ranking sites are a load of rubbish. They apply a mechanic to an art, it just doesn't work.

Secondly, those sites skew American.

Thirdly, getting American beers in Ireland is a matter of luck (and that's coming from the importers themselves.)

Fourthly, that site has the Weihenstephaner listed as the best Hefe in the world (you could definitely argue that) but it has the Vitus ranked lower than the Hefe. It has the Dunkel ranked the same as the Vitus and the Korbinian ranked even lower again. I have not met a single person who ranks the Hefe as the best Weihenstephaner wheat beer. But it is skewed by what's available.

And that goes back to what's readily available here. American beers simply aren't, especially the seasonal brews and non large micros/midis.

Also, look at the top ten of the 250. You have four pale ales, five stouts and one Quad? The site is representative of certain styles of beer. And you can carry that test pretty far down the list.

All that being said, I would love to try more American beers. I simply don't have the money to experiment as much as I want and my going out is generally constrained to one night a week in whatever pub I'm brought to.

(Last "experimental" beer I tried was was the Gouden Carolus Winter Ale which is much better in bottle than on keg, although I think temperature played a role in my tastings.)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

dd972 wrote: »
    You'd think with the boozing culture we have they'd have colonised our town and cities some time ago, plus costwise they'd annihilate the opposition paying through the nose for their Guinness and Heineken.

Only heard bit and bobs of rumour as to why there's no Spoon pubs here ranging from the fact that it's in the Eurozone and it doesn't fit in with their business plan and the Victuallers Association here are keeping them out by some means or other, anybody heard anything more substantial?

I asked this question aswell to one or two people before,cant remember the exact answer but it has something to do with the vintners federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

A beer ranking site in English is obviously going to skew American, since they're by far the biggest English speaking country.

America has excellent craft beer, but seeing as most Americans rarely get to taste niche beers from other countries, it's getting a bit ahead of themselves to call the number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Thanks for your replies, as regards Spoon pubs they're not all that bad they just reflect the areas they're in, there are some nice plush ones in Central London but go out to the Hounslows and the Dagenhams and they'll be f**king dreadful.

Most of the ones in provincial city centres in the UK would also be perfectly ok, there's a nice one that used to be a bank in Sheffield and quite a good one in the Cavern area of Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Someone needs to sort out the utter pish that passes for beer in Ireland.

Ireland has been left way, way behind, when the best beer in the world is being brewed by Americans.

Budweiser...Miller...Coors = best beer in the world. Are you drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Everytime I go to England I wonder the exact same thing. I've only been to Wetherspoons during the day but it's great for predrinks or getting a few cheap pints. Food's not the best, but it's cheap so whatever. Most of the complaints seem to be about how terrible the food is in Wetherspoons and the clientele and stuff. I think everyone knows Wetherspoons isn't trying to compete with high-end bars, it's a bit like the McDonald's of pubs. It does cheap drink, which is all that concerns me, and I'd be so so happy if Wetherspoons came to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Everytime I go to England I wonder the exact same thing. I've only been to Wetherspoons during the day but it's great for predrinks or getting a few cheap pints. Food's not the best, but it's cheap so whatever. Most of the complaints seem to be about how terrible the food is in Wetherspoons and the clientele and stuff. I think everyone knows Wetherspoons isn't trying to compete with high-end bars, it's a bit like the McDonald's of pubs. It does cheap drink, which is all that concerns me, and I'd be so so happy if Wetherspoons came to Ireland.

Breakfast including a pint for £5. What's not to love?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

You can thank FF for Weatherspoons not getting in to Capel St.
    I had a pint and a steak dinner last November For £6.99 best grub and best value while I was over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Wetherspoons in Belfast is a grand spot

Perfect for drinks after work with your work buddies

You wouldn't stay there the whole night but it's a good start to a night

Decent at lunch too if you want something cheap and simple, on your own or in a group

There's one in Enniskillen too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dttq wrote: »

No.

These, these and these = some of the best beers in the world.

The American Craft/Micro brewing scene is the best beer culture in the world and pisses on anywhere in Europe from a height, only the Belgians give them a run for their money and to be honest, as a good as a lot of Trappist beers are, Belgium produces as much **** beer (stella, Hoegarden, et) as America, Britain, The Netherlands, Canada, Germany and anywhere else the difference being that American craft/micro breweries are setting the standards world wide and even beating the traditional European breweries at their own game by producing world class Lambics, weissens, doppel-bocks, quads, tripels, dubbels, Blondes, and lagers of all descriptions of a standard meeting and exceeding that set by older european breweries. They also develop new hops, new techniques for malting grain, etc etc etc.

It's sad but it's true, the best beers in the world right now are American, the Germans don't come within an asses roar and the Belgians are lagging behind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We don't like chains of pubs in Ireland; we prefer owner-managed houses, or at least houses which give that appearance. In that regard, the licenced trade in Ireland has always been strikingly different from Britain where brewery-owned pubs were much the largest sector of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In that regard, the licenced trade in Ireland has always been strikingly different from Britain where brewery-owned pubs were much the largest sector of the market.

Used to be like that down in Cork.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    We don't like chains of pubs in Ireland; we prefer owner-managed houses,

When you say "we" don't like them, isn't it a bit more accurate to say the Vintners Association don't like them? (I know I'm not all that bothered).

Because to answer the OP's question - which wasn't "please list a bunch of reasons why you don't like Weatherspoons" but rather why don't we have them in Ireland at all - the answer is simple. Gangsterism.

When every commercial shopping area in the country has been colonised by UK based retailers then it's a fair enough question to wonder why not this one. As a lobby group the VA have long had Fianna Fail firmly in their pocket, and as soon as the check book comes out the party of dance hall owners will do as they're told. You know, keep the cartel cozy and all that.

Whether you'd fancy a couple of pints in Weatherspoons or not is irrelevant. The fact is that as a business model they're flourishing. By all means stay away if you don't like them, but I for one find it out-fcuking-rageous that when pubs are closing down every week across the country and thousands of of perfectly competent staff have to sign on the dole, the Vintners Association would deliberately send out the flying monkeys to put a stop to someone coming in, getting people jobs, and putting something into the economy.

dttq wrote: »

Keep the good stuff, export the pish to ignorant Europeans who think Bud is "the King of beers" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Ahh weatherspoons, the Ryanair of drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 scotzgeeza

Finally someone who doesn't talk complete crap lol , I don't see one problem with Wethers In Enniskillen or back in Scotland. Food and drink were great.

It's less than 2.50 for a Guinness in Wetherspoons. Spoons would kill the opposition here, which is good. Pub owners have been making a killing here for too long.

You do realise that is sterling. Also, the cost of living is lower in UK. Heck, I'll be only earning 21000 sterling next year whereas if I worked in Ireland. I would earn at least 50000 euros (excluding locuming). Also tax and excise is higher in Ireland. Give me examples of a "pub" rather than a conglomerate making a killing?

scotzgeeza wrote: »
    Finally someone who doesn't talk complete crap lol , I don't see one problem with Wethers In Enniskillen or back in Scotland. Food and drink were great.

In Scotland, it is mostly scobes or students who drink in a "spoons" as they like to call it.

In Scotland, it is mostly scobes or students who drink in a "spoons" as they like to call it.

Well i am Scottish and never heard it being called that once lol, Seemed a fair range of types when i am normally there to.

scotzgeeza wrote: »
    Well i am Scottish and never heard it being called that once lol, Seemed a fair range of types when i am normally there to.

You've never been to Aberdeen then.

You've never been to Aberdeen then.
    Nah Glasgow , Kilmarnock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well from an Ale point of view I would dearly love to have them here > http://www.jdwrealale.co.uk/ales

Shame it didn't work out in 2003, I wonder what stopped them coming here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I did drop in to one in Manchester back in 2004, possibly the nice one mentioned by "Defiler" back on Pg. 1. It seemed fairly welcoming, and then I received a sticker shock. I ordered a pint of Courage Director's Bitter (good stuff, 4.8% ABV) ... £1.25. It was a good thing I was on the way to a concert and couldn't stay very long.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thank god there isn't!

They've the same identical soulless pubs serving crap beer and food all over the UK.
    Couldn't disagree more, while there is a few specalist beer pubs in Ireland, the vast majority sell the exact same 6-7 tap beers, the bottles are the exact same as the taps, but some have the word "ice", "cold" or "lite" in the title and then a load of alcopops.
    Wetherspoons has a much better collection of beers and it changes regularly.
    As for "thank god their isn't", if wetherspoons came to dublin and you don't like them, just don't go in! But you'll find the price of the pint in the pub next door that you do like has dropped because of competition. What's not to like?

Bring them in I say, but it'll never happen, the pub lobby here won't let it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Which Dublin pubs apart from the Porterhouse as it IS a brewery, have those brews on tap?

O'Neills on Suffolk street has loads of craft beers on tap (Trouble, O'haras, Galway Hooker), they even have Punk IPA from Brew Dog on tap, which is one of my favorite beers!

Advertisement