Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.A.A - Snow Addicts Anonymous cold turkey thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    "In Celtic nations such as Ireland (using the Irish calendar) and in Scandinavia, the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, with the winter season beginning 1 November, on All Hallows, or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc, or Candlemas, which is 1 or 2 February."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#Period

Same here, if it has changed since then we just found out i guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Same here, if it has changed since then we just found out i guess :)
    I've always been told November, December, January for as long as I can remember. Had an arguement over it on another forum sometime last year so went and looked in to it. Turned out we were both right as he was American and thus had different seasons than we do.

Knew the page was on Wikipedia, just had to remember what the artical was :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I've always been told November, December, January for as long as I can remember. Had an arguement over it on another forum sometime last year so went and looked in to it. Turned out we were both right as he was American and thus had different seasons than we do.

Knew the page was on Wikipedia, just had to remember what the artical was :D

I've grown up with the same view of the seasons, February 1st is the beginning of Spring, and if google and wiki agree then it must be right lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Traditionally from the pagan calender based on the solstice its been November to January

Meteorological Winter, i.e. the three coldest months = December to February

As this is a weather forum winter is usually taken as December to February. Doesn't particularly matter which you take of course so each to their own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The "winter" Nov-Jan is a load of "traditional" bull (see Mad St Brigid); Wikipedia isn't a reliable anything - Google always selects Wikipedia etc.

Chris himself could have written the nonsense in the Wiki article! :rolleyes:

Weather wise; official winter is Dec, Jan, Feb - period. (And March is colder than November on average).

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »

Chris himself could have written the nonsense in the Wiki article! :rolleyes:

Hey I never write nonsense :D

This lack of snow is making some people tetchy lol
    Seems like one last chance effort may be on the cards according to Mr. Snow, M.T.C..

"OUTLOOK ... A somewhat colder trend should follow this mid-week storm front and it could be almost a wintry mix situation by the weekend of 10th and 11th, on the current guidance."

Oh yeah baby, "wintry mix"

Hey I never write nonsense :D

I never doubted you ;)
    This lack of snow is making some people tetchy lol

Indeed.
    Oh yeah baby, "wintry mix"

I'll be bloody tetchy if we don't get the wintry mix :mad:

Lol Bill, it's ok were all in the same boat here!!

MT.C Quote...

"TONIGHT ... Showers becoming sleety and some snow appearing on higher terrain, later mixing in near sea level in east, some accumulations of 3-5 cms possible by morning ..."

This feels like the last chance of white till winter :)

3-5cm's!!!

Well it's 9.10pm here now and the temp is over 7c with nothing falling and no wind - though, on the upside there is some cloud about (which, on the downside, means no frost).

This is setting out to be the dampest squib in a whole winter full of squibs.

0 degrees now in Leitrim, frost on my cars, all ready for the in-coming sleet/snow, but too tired to stay up looking at the rainfall radars and my snow light :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

nice dusting of snow here in buncrana. came down pretty heavy and fluffy around half past five for about 5 mins. yay snow.....!!!!!!!!

Not a single flake around here today, was convinced it would give us something!
    Great to see some got a bit though ;)

No frost, no snow, no wintry mix. A pathetic 0.4mm of rain after midnight failed to leave any trace of white even on top of Two/Three Rock (over 500m asl).

Temp hit 9c in bright sunshine today and everyone saying how cold it is!

Gimme patience :D

Now...I remember when we had a real 'wintry mix' in March.....

IMG_0167-1.jpg

...and this was five days after the snow fell and was getting the full March sun from cloudless skies - no need to get up before dawn to see some phantom spots of graupel before it melts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Flipping heck... the minute there was some snow (a wee dusting) in Dromahair, where was I..... NOT in Dromahair.... that's where I was....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

dear mother nature,

any chance of giving some snow for a couple of days, preferably around the weekend so there won't be that much disruption. please
    signed
    a very snow deprived snow lover

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    dear mother nature,

any chance of giving some snow for a couple of days, preferably around the weekend so there won't be that much disruption. please
    signed
    a very snow deprived snow lover

not in cork ;)

darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg
    :(

fixed :o

• Advertisement

fixed :o

Eh....how should I put this?.....it...kinda...still......:(

darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg

Ah! I see :D

phew, saves me from going to look for another one. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The snow had cleared up nicely in this part of Norway and now they are back to square 1

http://82.147.32.214/WebCamera3/

http://82.147.32.214/WebCamera4/

No sign of any cars on the road yet this morning - update, on closer view there is signs of a car track on main rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Joe Public wrote: »
    The snow had cleared up nicely in this part of Norway and now they are back to square 1

http://82.147.32.214/WebCamera3/

http://82.147.32.214/WebCamera4/

No sign of any cars on the road yet this morning - update, on closer view there is signs of a car track on main rd.

wow, that looks so delicious to me!!! :)
    I would kill for that kind of snow now!

It feels so frosty out now, as if snow isn't too far away

All I see are warm snow clouds... soon... I can feel it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

All I see are warm snow clouds... soon... I can feel it lol

...soon... soon... it will come, it will, they said it would, so it will... (...he says sitting solitary in a straight-jacket, rocking back & forth, in a dimly lit & padded small room, staring at a crumpled & worn photo of the 2010 snowfall at it's peak...occasionally glancing to the tiny window for some hope...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I knew we should have set up the support meetings earlier! Now look what happened to poor Snowmaker.... obviously not able to live up to his moniker, now sitting, rocking all alone.... uh wait... I'm in here too!!! OH NO!!! HELP!!!!

Snowmaker, for a little bit of comfort, look for MT's post in the ramping thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Its getting crowded in the padded rooms me included!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

eskimocat wrote: »
    I knew we should have set up the support meetings earlier! Now look what happened to poor Snowmaker.... obviously not able to live up to his moniker, now sitting, rocking all alone.... uh wait... I'm in here too!!! OH NO!!! HELP!!!!
    Snowmaker, for a little bit of comfort, look for MT's post in the ramping thread ;)
    slingshot wrote: »
    Its getting crowded in the padded rooms me included!!!:eek:

Somehow I missed that post by MT!! Thanks eskimocat!
    Now, don't blame the production process, it's flawless - blame my suppliers of raw materials for making the snow - my Eastern European suppliers have been very stingy with their supply of cold, an essential ingredient in the process...bought mountains of cold back in 2010 when it was going cheap, even agreed supply & rates for the long-term future.. but.. the price of cold has since risen despite the agreement in place... so with no cold, making snow is like trying to make an omelette without eggs..

Anyway...Now that both of ye are in here with me, you can help with production .. just look at the factory as it stands now, even Timmy has quit!

190847.jpg

Advertisement