Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.A.A - Snow Addicts Anonymous cold turkey thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Did I not read somewhere that we were likely to get snow this week? The sun was bleedin shining today! :mad:

I WANT MY SNOW! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

A few dry crusty lookin flakes falling in the north west now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I HAVE FALLEN OFF THE WAGON !!

But its OK.. i landed in the snow that is currently falling here in Donegal Town (and has been for the last hour)

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Did I not read somewhere that we were likely to get snow this week? The sun was bleedin shining today! :mad:

I WANT MY SNOW! :(
    This Thread
    Might be of interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Start wishing for mild weather and the cold will come. The eastern weather gods have a fear of the Atlantic and people here keep reminding them. Just thought I'd throw in an alternative seeing as the snow dance and the war dance are not working:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I think it's time to face reality: We aren't getting any snow whatsoever this winter and that our Atlantic-dominated little country is one of the mildest in Europe in winter, other than Portugal maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

There seems to be only one remedy for the no snow blues... all snowlovers hop on a plane and go to where the following is GUARANTEED!

1. Fresh snow fall daily for several hours (Proper snowman snow, mind you)
    2. Sufficent snow for all boardsies to make proper snowmen/animals/balls/etc..
    3. Proper hills with safe stoppage distance for super fast sleighs
    4. Next generation broadband so that boardsies can log on and tell all the rest of the weather forum what a wonderful time they are having :D

Ahhh... now anyone got a secret hoard of money burning a hole in their mattress.... Anyone, anyone?

Anyone who gives up hope for snow now will only look silly when the cold snap finally hits Ireland, and it WILL snow lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

eskimocat wrote: »
    There seems to be only one remedy for the no snow blues... all snowlovers hop on a plane and go to where the following is GUARANTEED!

1. Fresh snow fall daily for several hours (Proper snowman snow, mind you)
    2. Sufficent snow for all boardsies to make proper snowmen/animals/balls/etc..
    3. Proper hills with safe stoppage distance for super fast sleighs
    4. Next generation broadband so that boardsies can log on and tell all the rest of the weather forum what a wonderful time they are having :D

Ahhh... now anyone got a secret hoard of money burning a hole in their mattress.... Anyone, anyone?
    I has spare rooms and sheds for yee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I has spare rooms and sheds for yee!

Great that's the spirit , now people all we need is a plane.... anyone anyone?
    com'on, check the back of the sofa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

eskimocat wrote: »
    Great that's the spirit , now people all we need is a plane.... anyone anyone?
    com'on, check the back of the sofa...

Gone to look...

Nope nothing but sweet papers down the back of mine!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Here is all the snow that did not fall here this year.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Woo hoo! it snowed three times up here yesterday, it didn't stick, not one flake, but it was sooo nice to see falling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Think we should close this thread as absolutely no hope whatsoever now of the white stuff......

This makes me very sad as I was really really REALLY looking fwd to some snow this winter, and I even travelled to London last weekend in the hopes of seeing some.......

I saw loads from the air and it was freezing but no white stuff in central London at all........

Now hoping/praying/thinking about something approaching a decent summer....last year we literally got 2 or 3 decent days and nothing else.

Roll on a heatwave plus lots of summer thunderstorms.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Think we should close this thread as absolutely no hope whatsoever now of the white stuff......

I'm sorry this statement is ridiculous. We have often had snow in March and April. As someone else said in another thread, people have been writing winter off all winter. And it is tiresome.

Please don't close this thread mods.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah but for most people snow in March and especially April is too little too late, the majority of the time it amounts for not much more than a dusting in the morning which melts by midday or a heavy snow shower which just melts on impact. We have had a few rare occassions of decent snow in March which would last a day or so but it's just never the same as decent snow spells during the winter months. I think this winter has been just too much of a let down for many people to care anymore and are more willing to just hope for more snow next winter which is highly likely as I doubt we will see a repeat of this winter as it was quite exceptionally bad. With temperatures reaching the mid teens maybe even 16/17C next weeks its very hard to imagine there will be any more 'winter' snow as winter draws to a close in 9 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah but for most people snow in March and especially April is too little too late, the majority of the time it amounts for not much more than a dusting in the morning which melts by midday or a heavy snow shower which just melts on impact. We have had a few rare occassions of decent snow in March which would last a day or so but it's just never the same as decent snow spells during the winter months. I think this winter has been just too much of a let down for many people to care anymore and are more willing to just hope for more snow next winter which is highly likely as I doubt we will see a repeat of this winter as it was quite exceptionally bad. With temperatures reaching the mid teens maybe even 16/17C next weeks its very hard to imagine there will be any more 'winter' snow as winter draws to a close in 9 days time.

Couldnt have said it better myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Gonzo wrote: »

winter might end in 9 days time, but mother nature might have other ideas:)

winter might end in 9 days time, but mother nature might have other ideas:)

Winter already ended 20 days ago dude, February is the first month of our Irish spring not March. I think this summer could be just as boring as winter, I'm hoping for a great April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Winter already ended 20 days ago dude, February is the first month of our Irish spring not March. I think this summer could be just as boring as winter, I'm hoping for a great April :)

Last time i checked it was December to February.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Indeed, first time I checked it was also Dec - Feb. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Indeed well if you listen to the uk met office spring starts 1st march or if not spring equinox starts on the 21st march if i am not mistaken.

Who thought up the idea that spring starts in february?

thomasj wrote: »

Who thought up the idea that spring starts in february?

I think it was that mad Kildare woman - St Bridget.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It'll be like last year. We'll get our summer in April and it'll be freezing in May-June with the rain warming up slightly in July-August with one week Indian summer in September.
    C'est la vie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gaius c wrote: »
    It'll be like last year. We'll get our summer in April and it'll be freezing in May-June with the rain warming up slightly in July-August with one week Indian summer in September.
    C'est la vie.

it seems like the above cycle has been going on for years now. I would almost bank on another crap, cold, wet and windy summer.

gaius c wrote: »
    C'est la vie.

Now that's what I call a long-range forecast. And no messing about with hopeless models ;)

I guess last time you checked you were wrong lol

I guess last time you checked you were wrong lol

Hardly.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hardly.

lol you ok there wild bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

"In Celtic nations such as Ireland (using the Irish calendar) and in Scandinavia, the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, with the winter season beginning 1 November, on All Hallows, or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc, or Candlemas, which is 1 or 2 February."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#Period

Advertisement