Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Bumpity Bump

The IBTS have made an appeal on their facebook for donors before Easter. Get out there if you can, it's so worth it and only takes a little bit of your time. Pretty sure I'm good to go again myself so I'll probably head along today or tomorrow!
    We are asking people to please give blood this week ahead of the Easter Bank Holiday Weekend. While blood supplies have not yet hit a crisis level, due to the recent St. Patrick’s Day festivities, good weather and an increased demand for blood from hospitals, supplies have been significantly affected.
    We are calling on those who are eligible, to make a special effort to give blood in the coming days to help balance supply with the demand from hospital patients who need life-saving transfusions. Please see www.giveblood.ie for clinic details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hm, I've been eighteen for a couple of months and I don't think I've done any of the things on the list... :cool: I think I'll try to make this my first one though, the lottery ticket can wait. :P

Chances are I won't be able to - I don't think I've very much iron at all and am probably nearly anaemic (or so I'm told). If it's not that I'll possibly chicken out, I don't like needles and I hate blood! But as soon as I get a chance to I'll try my best, should be able to drag someone less wimpy along too so at least if I can't then someone else will (hopefully) be able to. :) (And they might make me stop bring so cowardly about it too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If I fail the conditions of that test on the website, am I definitely illegible?

Yep, I'd say so. If you're unsure about anything you could trying phoning them?

Well the only one I failed was living in England between 1986 - 1996. Not sure if that'd be a big issue like.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well the only one I failed was living in England between 1986 - 1996. Not sure if that'd be a big issue like.

As far as I know they're pretty strict on it. I'm pretty sure it's to do with BSE or something like that.

Sucks :( sure I can drum up some people to donate though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    As far as I know they're pretty strict on it. I'm pretty sure it's to do with BSE or something like that.
    Yeah it's to do with BSE, if you've eaten infected meat then you could be carrying these infectious agents called prions,and since there's no way of testing for prions -bar a postmortem brain biopsy- they're pretty strict about not taking blood from people who lived somewhere during an BSE outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Looks like I'm eligible anyway, as far as the test is concerned, that is. :) Donating blood has gone on the bucket list now, hopefully I'll do it more than once!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I need to go and donate, it's just awkward with sixth year and all. I'll head in next week, somehow. I went in on my 18th, everyone in there was shocked that I went in on my birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bump! Hard to believe it's been 13 months since this...
    I tried this tonight!

All was going well for a few minutes, until the nurse thought I was looking hot and clammy. I felt pretty much normal, but they insisted on stopping anyway. Elevated legs, cold damp cloth on my forehead, the whole shebang.

Can't go back for three months, even though it wasn't a full donation. Oh well! I tried anyway. And I hate needles, but even the needle part didn't bother me. I'll be going back again as soon as I'm allowed. :)

...but I finally went back and gave a proper donation this evening. No complications at all. I'm feeling sleepy now, but happy enough. :)

There's nothing like a post-blood donation sleep. You'll sleep like a baby tonight Mr. Overlord!

I haven't been in about 5 months at this stage, I haven't had time with work and college, then was on antibiotics and stuff. I think I'll head into town on my day off next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I would love to give blood.
    Although I'm really fearful of injections and I never ever get them done.
    I might sometime but I don't think I'd go through with it. The sight of the needle/blood just freaks me out :(.

I'd love a tattoo I'm 19 I've always wanted a tattoo then that again involves needles. I'll need to pluck up the courage and get it done.

Gave my 7th donation today! I also got them to check my veins to see if I'm eligible for platelet donation and they think I will be so I'm going to try and get that ball rolling soon when I'm eligible again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Donating blood is great!

...although I did faint last time. :o Still not really sure what happened, felt grand, chatting away to the nurse, then all of a sudden...bam. Gone. I'd say I gave the poor thing a fright!

Anyone reading that though, don't be put off by that! It's such a good feeling once you're done with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Gave my 7th donation today! I also got them to check my veins to see if I'm eligible for platelet donation and they think I will be so I'm going to try and get that ball rolling soon when I'm eligible again!
    There's only certain places that do that, right? I was thinking about going up as a bone marrow donor...will have to do more looking into next year since you need to stay on the register until you're 55.

I gave blood for the first time over a month ago now. I was more nervous than I thought I'd be at first, but I just lay on the bed, the needle going in was only a minor pinch, and beyond that I just make small talk with the nurses and barely noticed I was losing just under a pint of blood. I felt great after it, and I met some lovely people in the clinic, some who'd been giving blood for a very long time. The nurses are really kind and are well-aware of how nervous a donor (particularly first-timers) can be!

If you're really afraid of needles, just bite the bullet and give it a try. Drink plenty of water before you go to minimise the chances of fainting. Bravery isn't acting with the absence of fear, but despite fear. :P

A bit of advice, make sure you've all the medications you've been on in the past while listed before you go. I had been on acne antibiotics and gave them the wrong antibiotics, realised it while I was lying on the bed and had to ring home to ask my mam what the right name of the meds were. Pretty awkward. :P (On an aside, most antibiotics are fine, what they'll be worried about is the illness for which you'll be on antibiotics for. If you're on isotretinoin (roaccutane) for acne though, you cannot give blood.)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Gave my second donation on Monday, I was thrilled! I actually love giving blood, it's a really nice feeling. Just to know that you're helping someone.

jumpguy wrote: »
    There's only certain places that do that, right? I was thinking about going up as a bone marrow donor...will have to do more looking into next year since you need to stay on the register until you're 55.

Yeah they were telling me today that the machine for platelet donations aren't portable so it's only possible to do it in cork or Dublin afaik.

On the medication thing, I've never been asked specific names of antibiotics I've just said I was on one for a chest infection or whatever and I finished it this amount of time ago.

Great to see more people getting out and donating! The nurse I was talking to today has mentioned its been particularly quiet lately and she wouldn't be surprised if they were calling for more donors soon! I went to the one in D'olier street today which is usually busy and I think there was only 3 or 4 other donors there at the time.

As I've said before if you're eligible to do it you really should try. It only takes an hour and is such an important cause. I used to be terrified of needles, but since doing it I'm grand with them now, just don't look at them putting it in, they usually cover it anyway.

Just bumping this for people who're in NUIG, there's donations going on in the Clybaun Hotel in Knocknacarra tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. You can get the citydirect 412 up to it.

Ha funny this got bumped today, I've an appointment at 4 in the national blood centre to see if I'm suitable for platlet donation. Will report back later how I get on :)

• Advertisement

Damn my veins are unsuitable, apparently a very common problem in women so most platlet donors are men. Back to plan ol' blood for me!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a letter from the IBTS this morning. Hadn't heard from them in a few months! Might donate again next week if I'm feeling well enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Gave blood for the first time tonight:)

I ate so many chocolate bourbons nom nom nom

Bump

Blood supplies are critically low, the ibts have made two different appeals this week to try and get people out. Theres going to be extra clinics open during the week and d'olier st will be open on Sunday. Do a good deed this Christmas time and give blood it only takes and hour of your time.

Definitely. I know they're in Galway this week for anyone over this side.

Just back from my 8th donation :)

One thing I hate is the damn plasters, what are they made with super glue?

Just back from my 8th donation :)

One thing I hate is the damn plasters, what are they made with super glue?

I find they always fall off easily! I've done four - really should have kept a note of my last donation date, I know when it was around so I should be ok.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I find they always fall off easily! I've done four - really should have kept a note of my last donation date, I know when it was around so I should be ok.

The ones on your finger are grand but the last few times I've gone the one on your arm is mental. I took it off about three hours ago and my arm is still all wrinkley and weird!

I took it off about three hours ago and my arm is still all wrinkley and weird!

Old age is a bitch like that. :pac:

• Advertisement

Old age is a bitch like that. :pac:

No matter how old I am Mr. Overlord, you'll always be older :pac:

Advertisement