Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of novel things to do now you've turned 18? Look no further!

Options
  • 10-01-2010 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Drank all the booze your liver can handle? Bought ciagarettes even though you don't smoke, just cos you could? Played the Lotto when you knew you had no chance of winning? Voted? Got a credit card? Seems like there's one thing left to complete your list of things you can now legally do, give blood.

There have been a load of road traffic accidents due to the bad weather so blood is in urgent supply. If you're elibible then pop down to your local clinic and do something really worthwhile.

All the details to do with giving blood can be found at http://www.giveblood.ie/

I donated back in July and it was a doddle really, this coming from a girl who hid in the bathroom sobbing when she had to get her meningitis injection in fourth class and whose parents had to hold her down! The needle's big enough but it only hurts for a split second when it goes in- while it's in your arm you barely feel it and the blood looks kinda cool flowing into the bag! You get crisps and chocolate in the waiting area and sandwiches, drinks and more crisps and chocolate when you're "recovering" afterwards.

Even if the idea freaks you out, you'll get over it soon enough. Even if you're in the small minority who feel sick and dizzy afterwords, it's a lot better than bleeding to death.

Unfortunately I can't give for the next few weeks as when I went back in October to donate by Haemoglobin level was just under the minimum requirement, but after almost three months of iron supps I should be good to go by February.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Do I get free cookies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can't remmber if there were cookies actually....there were definitely biscuits, a good few kinds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Turns out I'm not eligible because I lived in the U.K between 1990-1995. Fúcking racists..I just wanted free cookies. :(

Yeah I felt the same when I was 17, I thought it was pretty unfair that my body was pretty much developed so my blood was as good then as it would be when I'd turn 18. I guess there's a large enough variability in maturation of bodies during the teenage years, so to be safe they have to have it at 18. Kinda sucks if you've perfectly good blood you'd be willing to give though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

It's only a couple of weeks now. I'll gladly do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

GIVEGIVEGIVE

Donating for 20 yrs except ear pierced, tatooed or sick. I hope blood donation can be recognised as VITAL by you kids..keep it going..people depend..could be YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

No permanent clinic at home, it comes around every three months, wasn't around when it came around a few weeks ago. >.< However I shall be back in Dublin in the next few days or so, and shall definitely donate again then. :)

Apparently my blood type has the lowest supply atm too.. :/

Want to start giving platelets too if I can actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Count me in. I don't know why I havn't done it already to be honest. Cheers for knockin' some sense into me! :)

I'd say if they gave out free booze when you donate blood and hung around colleges, Blood donations would skyrocket, thus ending the shortage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Piste, you forgot to mention the free Guinness. FREE alcohol.

EDIT: Ooops beaten. But yeah. Cans of guinness loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

have to wait for 4 months now that i have my tattoo...but really cant wait to get back into the swing of things and get giving blood again. it really is just such a small thing, but its amazing how much it can help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Like i said in AH last night, I've never been so keen on doing something as selfless as this. I've wanted to do it for ages but I just kept forgetting about it. I was going to do it this week, but because I'm on antibiotics I have to wait a week, then another week so I can be fully recovered.
    :(

Yay it's great to see such a positive response! I was thinking of organising a blood drive in college, but seeing as about 75% of the students are foreign, they probably wouldn't be eligible (most of this 75% come from malarial regions). Might look into it after the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Do they not give out drink anymore? I remember I used go with my Dad and he would get a can of Heineken afterwards. Unfortuneately I'm only 17 so can't donate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

And, eh, can't drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I got a Guinness last time I gave blood.

I've now moved on to giving platelets :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I cant give platelets because im not heavy enough and they wont take my blood because theres not enought iron,ill try again though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I have seen Guinness mentioned on this page.
    Exactly what centres are handing out the black stuff?
    Not the one on d'olier street anyway. Last time I was in twas only bags of tayto and snack bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I have seen Guinness mentioned on this page.
    Exactly what centres are handing out the black stuff?
    Not the one on d'olier street anyway. Last time I was in twas only bags of tayto and snack bars.

I don't think they do it anymore.
    Apparently my granny was prescribed Guinness back in the good old days for anaemia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I don't think they do it anymore.
    Apparently my granny was prescribed Guinness back in the good old days for anaemia :pac:

Excellent. :pac:
    I thought you were taking the mickey until I seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

phlegms wrote: »
    Turns out I'm not eligible because I lived in the U.K between 1990-1995. Fúcking racists..I just wanted free cookies. :(
    Same with me!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

And, eh, can't drink...

Debatable..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Piste wrote: »
    Yay it's great to see such a positive response! I was thinking of organising a blood drive in college, but seeing as about 75% of the students are foreign, they probably wouldn't be eligible (most of this 75% come from malarial regions). Might look into it after the exams.
    In RCSI? Or by foreign d'you mean English?

I want giving blood to be one of the first things I do when I'm 18...just so I could say something other than "OMGZ I GOT WRECKED DRUNK!" Sure everyone does that. It's pretty unfair I can't do it now. I think it should be 16 up, but under 18's need parent's permission.

I don't think under 18s can donate at all, regardless of parental permission.

By foreign I just meant non-Irish. There are a lot of Maylasians and Middle-Easterns in my year and I think they have to be resident outside their country for X number of years to be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pygmalion wrote: »

I love how Guinness has been tested now and proven to not actually contain a whole lot of iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Piste wrote: »
    I don't think under 18s can donate at all, regardless of parental permission.

By foreign I just meant non-Irish. There are a lot of Maylasians and Middle-Easterns in my year and I think they have to be resident outside their country for X number of years to be eligible.
    I know, I meant that's the way it should be.

I think eligibility is the same as if an Irish person travelled. Like if you were in England with a chance of CJD, or in a malarial or tropical country the same thing applies. But say you were French without any of these risks I can't see it being a problem.

Depending on how long the Malaysians and Middle-Easterns have been in Ireland, they are likely eligible. But I'd defo give the Blood Transfusion Service a ring first to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'm on it, maw! Heading to D'Olier street next week with a friend, trying to round up more. Only a four day supply left for certain types, that's crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Personally, I would never have the balls to do it. I got pretty terrified and then light headed when I had to give tiny blood samples to my dermatologist/GP, never got any better after 3 years of doing it constantly. Couldn't stomach a pint of two. I'll graciously pass. :o

Advertisement