Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SHTF vehicles

• 12-01-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

So has anyone thought about this lately? If you had to bug out in an emergencey or if we had some really bad weather and you needed to resupply or go for help how would you do it?

I bought myself a quad last summer and fitted a tow bar and front and rear bale racks, i also have a small trailer i can tow with it, great machiene that will tackle pretty much any terraine an runs a sniff of petrol. I could use this for traveling through the fields collecting firewood, hunting ect its quick and nimble and goes in the garage out if sight. Both the kids have been thought how to drive it too

I also bought a 4x4 kia sorento in november, now this was for recreation and getting to work if we got snow again also for going hunting and doing a bit of off roading but is a very useful tool in the situations i mentioned above, i have plans for a few mods to make it better off road ie mud tyres and a lift kit but for now its doing the job great and iv put it through it pases on a couple of off road courses and im very happy with it

So anyone else have anything or plan to get anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

I've considered getting one of these.
    http://dbrush.net/eng/equip.php?ID=543
    365 day usage. :)
    43_M548-6a.jpg
    Or it's bigger brother.
    http://dbrush.net/eng/equip.php?ID=170
    95_bvopen-1.jpg
    Prices can start as low as £4k for a project to £40k+ for a ready to use MoD model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That would be my kind of project!

Burdock wrote: »
    Yeah but who among us has €1m to buy a mowag??!! I was lucky enough to do some training in them a few years ago in the curragh and up the glen, serious machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Why buy it ?

They're easy to drive and they don't need a key to start :P

• Advertisement

Haha meet ya in newbridge at midnight? Might have to knock a wall, or 4 in my garage to hide it tho....

aaakev wrote: »
    I also bought a 4x4 kia sorento in november, now this was for recreation and getting to work if we got snow again also for going hunting and doing a bit of off roading but is a very useful tool in the situations i mentioned above, i have plans for a few mods to make it better off road ie mud tyres and a lift kit but for now its doing the job great and iv put it through it pases on a couple of off road courses and im very happy with it

So anyone else have anything or plan to get anything?

Possibly consider something like these. :)
    http://www.trackvehicletech.com/4x4-vehicle-track-systems.html

They are cool! Didnt have a price tho and im scared to look for one!

They are cool! Didnt have a price tho and im scared to look for one!

If you have to ask you can't afford. :D
    The China wholesale price is $900 per track, min order 4 units, excludes shipping etc, so retail would probably be at least twice that. :eek:
    Others list sets at $2k-$10k.
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/4x4-tracks.html

i thought about €4,000 would be right. Ah ill make do with a set of BF Goodrich MT in a few weeks :( ill get them for about €800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I think we were on about the Spartan this time last year

http://exmod-uk.com/equip.php?ID=227

Fairly cheap too, if I recall correctly. Beast of a machine, a tank doing 70mph.

Remember how much they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Remember how much they were?
    Affordable enough, ten to twelve grand region, it should be buried in a thread somewhere hereabouts, as helpful as that is. :D I was tempted to buy one at the time but the lack of supporting infrastructure/tank driving experience dissuaded me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Something a bit more reasonably priced and quite useful in a pinch....gotta remember to stock up on fuel though

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Affordable enough, ten to twelve grand region, it should be buried in a thread somewhere hereabouts, as helpful as that is. :D I was tempted to buy one at the time but the lack of supporting infrastructure/tank driving experience dissuaded me.
    I drove a scorpion tank, very easy to drive it just has 2 leavers that go back and forward and one operates each track! Great craic!! Id imagine maintenance would be a bitch!!

wexie wrote: »
    Something a bit more reasonably priced and quite useful in a pinch....gotta remember to stock up on fuel though
    Nice! 300L fuel tank, wonder what sort of mpg they get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Been looking at a Landrover 101 ambulance or comms body there is a lad in the UK converts it to run on veg oil and will build a new body for it if you get the soft top truck type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i always wanted a universal carrier or a bren gun carrier as they are some time known

its like a tank ......only smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I would Get noe of These
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcsadvmedia/5623461972/
    get You Anywhere,and are not to bad no the fuel.

Nice! 300L fuel tank, wonder what sort of mpg they get...

Pretty sure the mileage on them would be atrocious!!

These things were never really meant to be very economical and it's not something you need to worry about when you know there are several fuel bowsers close behind.

I looked at one of these figuring I could probably get it here and on the road for little over 5K but when I realise they get about 5mpg it all of a sudden wasn't quite such an attractive proposition for an overlander anymore.

But still.....a lot of them come with insulated radio bodies, winch, some of them already have a genny....

....sigh....

• Advertisement

These things were never really meant to be very economical and it's not something you need to worry about when you know there are several fuel bowsers close behind.

I looked at one of these figuring I could probably get it here and on the road for little over 5K but when I realise they get about 5mpg it all of a sudden wasn't quite such an attractive proposition for an overlander anymore.

But still.....a lot of them come with insulated radio bodies, winch, some of them already have a genny....

....sigh....
    If its a truck you fancy you should look at a unimog, ex esb ones can be got for as little as €5k and are usually fitted out with a lot if useful gear! These things are class, if i had the room id prob have one

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trucks/3869527

....sigh....
    If its a truck you fancy you should look at a unimog, ex esb ones can be got for as little as €5k and are usually fitted out with a lot if useful gear! These things are class, if i had the room id prob have one

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trucks/3869527

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    A lot of the eastern european military vehicles had air and water filtration as standard, especially radio vans/trucks and command vehicles. They also have central tyre pressure regulation in the multi-axle vehicles and vehicles such as radio trucks and command cars and mobile engineering workshops had their own portable generators.Most of their engines have the older Bosch-style diesel injection pumps, so no fiddly electronics to worry about and they are multi-fuel by design, given the highly variable quality of fuel in Russia and points east.You'd have a very good fighting chance to move a family safely in them.Those Zil and Kamaz trucks are unburstable. As for the Bren carrier, great fun but skinny tracks and a small Ford petrol engine? The American-made copy, the T16 Universal Carrier was better, as it had higher sides and better stowage and more room inside....the Unimog is a world-class vehicle, no question.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

For most bug-out situations I'll take a bog-standard 4x4 pajero/land cruiser. It's Ireland lads, a tank of diesel gets you anywhere on the island and if you need to go madly offroad or can't use the roads you have bigger problems :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    For most bug-out situations I'll take a bog-standard 4x4 pajero/land cruiser. It's Ireland lads, a tank of diesel gets you anywhere on the island and if you need to go madly offroad or can't use the roads you have bigger problems :-)
    This is true. Iv gone well off the beaten track in my sorento and not got stuck yet altho imo i could do with a couple of extra inches of ground clearance sometimes and good tyres are always a sound investment. A truck could be used as a pleasure vehicle or converted to a camper van tho so would defo have its place in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407831

won't cost an arm and a leg to own and run while we are waiting for the s to htf can be used for a general run about too. easy enough to maintain after the shtf.

Very nice, no doubt, but petrol, in a bugout situation, will be at a premium to even find, let alone buy or obtain at gunpoint! At least diesel or kero or home heating oil or some kind of fuel usable by a basic diesel is on every farm and industrial estate in the country. If you had to move a family and worse case, have to live in a vehicle for a while, you'll need all the room you can get, in something that can at least drive along a Coillte forest track at the very minimum. Let's look at two scenarios that have happened in Ireland in the last few years, that had a major effect on people's lives, ie, the big snow of 2009/10 and the very bad floods. In both cases, the only vehicles that could move with any success were the better type of 4X4, such as Landies, Army trucks and some tractors. Fuel supplies were very affected and in the case of airports and ports, the snow and general bad weather made their operation difficult or impossible. So, it's not too unreal a demand to consider a 4x4 in the family, especially if you live where you can be affected by Mother Nature.

regards
    Stovepipe

Yeah the fact its petrol is the only reason i wouldnt buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

This is my choice, a 1950 Series 1, because I've rebuilt everything on it and know every nut and bolt on a first name basis and can fix anything on it and have a whole spare vehicle for spares (for the time being at least)
    It will run on dirty old petrol.
    It's light yet versatile.
    Goes anywhere you want.

IMG_0663-1.jpg

And if there is a EMP i camp see that stopping this Stone Age chugger.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Very nice, no doubt, but petrol, in a bugout situation, will be at a premium to even find, let alone buy or obtain at gunpoint! At least diesel or kero or home heating oil or some kind of fuel usable by a basic diesel is on every farm and industrial estate in the country. If you had to move a family and worse case, have to live in a vehicle for a while, you'll need all the room you can get, in something that can at least drive along a Coillte forest track at the very minimum. Let's look at two scenarios that have happened in Ireland in the last few years, that had a major effect on people's lives, ie, the big snow of 2009/10 and the very bad floods. In both cases, the only vehicles that could move with any success were the better type of 4X4, such as Landies, Army trucks and some tractors. Fuel supplies were very affected and in the case of airports and ports, the snow and general bad weather made their operation difficult or impossible. So, it's not too unreal a demand to consider a 4x4 in the family, especially if you live where you can be affected by Mother Nature.

regards
    Stovepipe
    damn thought it was diesel!!!

yeah my ideal is a series 3 landy diesel it would be very handy for just using for outdoorsey stuff / saving the car from smelling of dead fish.

sheesh wrote: »

yeah my ideal is a series 3 landy diesel it would be very handy for just using for outdoorsey stuff / saving the car from smelling of dead fish.
    Would be class if it was diesel!

I got the sorento for the same reasons as you want the landy, great decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407831

won't cost an arm and a leg to own and run while we are waiting for the s to htf can be used for a general run about too. easy enough to maintain after the shtf.
    The landrover 101 takes the same engine the body is as easy to strip down and enlarge if needed that's why it would be my number 1 choice as I've 6 to load up and gear and dogs plus the guy in the UK converts it to run vegetable oil which will be cheaper for weekend camping trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I love the "landies" and I dont think they would be bet. My time in the ESB proved those machines will go anywhere and take a hiding while doing it ! Quads are a great machine but can be quite lethal at high speeds and to get one into a forest can be a bit tricky. But if cheap and cheerful is what your looking for with low fuel consumption and a heap of accessories I would have to have one of these

http://www.rokon.com/

I stumbled across these machines on another thread and just love them. These would be great in any scenario even to bust out of the city where cars might be blocking the streets. Now unlike the "landies" and the quads these aint fast machines. But there water proof and there designed so you can carry extra fuel in the tires !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5QqMLI5g

I was interested in getting one of them rokons a year or two ago but couldnt find any for sale here or in the uk. Have you ever seen one?

Getting my new toy this week, one of these:

range-rover-classic-6.jpg

Nearly as capable as a SIII (with a bit of work) and a helluva lot more comfortable with heated leather seats and heating that actually works. Not to mention a bit of soundproofing and decent suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I was interested in getting one of them rokons a year or two ago but couldnt find any for sale here or in the uk. Have you ever seen one?

Did you think about getting a Brockhouse Corgi, by the looks of things the Rokons are a modern equivalent of the 1950's Brockhouse, you see them for sale all the time in the UK.
    Here is a rebuilt one for 1K

image_zps1ca03a74.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C329209

Funny thing about the Brockhouse and the Rokons is that they all came from the Welbike idea of a Motor transport for Paratroopers in WW2. It worked back then when the SH!T really did hit the fan so I can't see why they would not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I have never seen one in action myself no one seems to know about them over this side of the Atlantic. But a friend sent me links of them pulling bears out of a forest at the end of a hunt. It was amazing not only pulling along the a couple of bears but getting thru some of the densist woodland that you would never get a quad. I wonder would it be worth it after all the taxes and charges tho ?

Getting my new toy this week, one of these:

[IMG-pic of range roverMG]

Nearly as capable as a SIII (with a bit of work) and a helluva lot more comfortable with heated leather seats and heating that actually works. Not to mention a bit of soundproofing and decent suspension.

Damn you and your perfect life :D

well wear

The Aussie wrote: »

Did you think about getting a Brockhouse Corgi, by the looks of things the Rokons are a modern equivalent of the 1950's Brockhouse, you see them for sale all the time in the UK.
    Here is a rebuilt one for 1K

image_zps1ca03a74.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C329209

Funny thing about the Brockhouse and the Rokons is that they all came from the Welbike idea of a Motor transport for Paratroopers in WW2. It worked back then when the SH!T really did hit the fan so I can't see why they would not now.
    Thats not 2wd is it? Wouldnt be my cup of tea tbh. It looks like it was built to be light and easy to transport with few parts to go wrong. Think the rokon would tic all the boxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Pajerofrontview_zps668fb15c.jpg

one of my modes of transport… going to try convert her to run on biodiesel now.

• Advertisement

one of my modes of transport… going to try convert her to run on biodiesel now.

would it need much in the way of conversion aside from a few added filters?

would it need much in the way of conversion aside from a few added filters?

as far as i know they are pretty simple… the pump should handle it no problem.

as far as i know they are pretty simple… the pump should handle it no problem.

Should have a look at this site, it's 3 brothers that all drive cars that have been modified to drive on waste vegetable oil. 2 Landrovers and one 5.9L 6 cylinder Cummins diesel :eek: (which gets 29mpg....running on chip fat!!!)

http://www.overland-rovers.com/

Seeing as the thread has been somewhat resurrected I figured I'd throw up some piccies of my SHTF baby (one of them, this is the 'getting the hell out in a hurry one)

315871.jpg

315870.jpg

Once the garage is fully built the plan is to give her a full and comprehensive rebuild in the spirit of this :

$(KGrHqMOKjUE1nBUinUVBNpcznp1sw~~_35.JPG

Which means bigger and badder :D

A lot of the Discos and Defenders are getting modded for 2.8 Isuzus, to replace the standard engine, using a later Rover gearbox, which can use biodiesel.

regards
    Stovepipe

i saw a unimog on ebay during the week for 3.5k.. what a machine!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good price, bet the postage would be savage though ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good price, bet the postage would be savage though ;)

drive it home?

i saw a unimog on ebay during the week for 3.5k.. what a machine!!

They come up on Donedeal regularly enough for little more than that....ex ESB usually, last time I saw one it was 4k

They come up on Donedeal regularly enough for little more than that....ex ESB usually, last time I saw one it was 4k

I just bought a mf 135 during the week… one of them unimogs is definitely on the to purchase list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement