Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHTF vehicles

• 12-01-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

So has anyone thought about this lately? If you had to bug out in an emergencey or if we had some really bad weather and you needed to resupply or go for help how would you do it?

I bought myself a quad last summer and fitted a tow bar and front and rear bale racks, i also have a small trailer i can tow with it, great machiene that will tackle pretty much any terraine an runs a sniff of petrol. I could use this for traveling through the fields collecting firewood, hunting ect its quick and nimble and goes in the garage out if sight. Both the kids have been thought how to drive it too

I also bought a 4x4 kia sorento in november, now this was for recreation and getting to work if we got snow again also for going hunting and doing a bit of off roading but is a very useful tool in the situations i mentioned above, i have plans for a few mods to make it better off road ie mud tyres and a lift kit but for now its doing the job great and iv put it through it pases on a couple of off road courses and im very happy with it

So anyone else have anything or plan to get anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

I've considered getting one of these.
    http://dbrush.net/eng/equip.php?ID=543
    365 day usage. :)
    43_M548-6a.jpg
    Or it's bigger brother.
    http://dbrush.net/eng/equip.php?ID=170
    95_bvopen-1.jpg
    Prices can start as low as £4k for a project to £40k+ for a ready to use MoD model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That would be my kind of project!

Burdock wrote: »
    Yeah but who among us has €1m to buy a mowag??!! I was lucky enough to do some training in them a few years ago in the curragh and up the glen, serious machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Why buy it ?

They're easy to drive and they don't need a key to start :P

• Advertisement

Haha meet ya in newbridge at midnight? Might have to knock a wall, or 4 in my garage to hide it tho....

aaakev wrote: »
    I also bought a 4x4 kia sorento in november, now this was for recreation and getting to work if we got snow again also for going hunting and doing a bit of off roading but is a very useful tool in the situations i mentioned above, i have plans for a few mods to make it better off road ie mud tyres and a lift kit but for now its doing the job great and iv put it through it pases on a couple of off road courses and im very happy with it

So anyone else have anything or plan to get anything?

Possibly consider something like these. :)
    http://www.trackvehicletech.com/4x4-vehicle-track-systems.html

They are cool! Didnt have a price tho and im scared to look for one!

They are cool! Didnt have a price tho and im scared to look for one!

If you have to ask you can't afford. :D
    The China wholesale price is $900 per track, min order 4 units, excludes shipping etc, so retail would probably be at least twice that. :eek:
    Others list sets at $2k-$10k.
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/4x4-tracks.html

i thought about €4,000 would be right. Ah ill make do with a set of BF Goodrich MT in a few weeks :( ill get them for about €800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I think we were on about the Spartan this time last year

http://exmod-uk.com/equip.php?ID=227

Fairly cheap too, if I recall correctly. Beast of a machine, a tank doing 70mph.

Remember how much they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Remember how much they were?
    Affordable enough, ten to twelve grand region, it should be buried in a thread somewhere hereabouts, as helpful as that is. :D I was tempted to buy one at the time but the lack of supporting infrastructure/tank driving experience dissuaded me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Something a bit more reasonably priced and quite useful in a pinch....gotta remember to stock up on fuel though

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Affordable enough, ten to twelve grand region, it should be buried in a thread somewhere hereabouts, as helpful as that is. :D I was tempted to buy one at the time but the lack of supporting infrastructure/tank driving experience dissuaded me.
    I drove a scorpion tank, very easy to drive it just has 2 leavers that go back and forward and one operates each track! Great craic!! Id imagine maintenance would be a bitch!!

wexie wrote: »
    Something a bit more reasonably priced and quite useful in a pinch....gotta remember to stock up on fuel though
    Nice! 300L fuel tank, wonder what sort of mpg they get...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Been looking at a Landrover 101 ambulance or comms body there is a lad in the UK converts it to run on veg oil and will build a new body for it if you get the soft top truck type

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i always wanted a universal carrier or a bren gun carrier as they are some time known

its like a tank ......only smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I would Get noe of These
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcsadvmedia/5623461972/
    get You Anywhere,and are not to bad no the fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nice! 300L fuel tank, wonder what sort of mpg they get...

Pretty sure the mileage on them would be atrocious!!

These things were never really meant to be very economical and it's not something you need to worry about when you know there are several fuel bowsers close behind.

I looked at one of these figuring I could probably get it here and on the road for little over 5K but when I realise they get about 5mpg it all of a sudden wasn't quite such an attractive proposition for an overlander anymore.

But still.....a lot of them come with insulated radio bodies, winch, some of them already have a genny....

....sigh....

• Advertisement

These things were never really meant to be very economical and it's not something you need to worry about when you know there are several fuel bowsers close behind.

I looked at one of these figuring I could probably get it here and on the road for little over 5K but when I realise they get about 5mpg it all of a sudden wasn't quite such an attractive proposition for an overlander anymore.

But still.....a lot of them come with insulated radio bodies, winch, some of them already have a genny....

....sigh....
    If its a truck you fancy you should look at a unimog, ex esb ones can be got for as little as €5k and are usually fitted out with a lot if useful gear! These things are class, if i had the room id prob have one

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trucks/3869527

....sigh....
    If its a truck you fancy you should look at a unimog, ex esb ones can be got for as little as €5k and are usually fitted out with a lot if useful gear! These things are class, if i had the room id prob have one

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trucks/3869527

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    A lot of the eastern european military vehicles had air and water filtration as standard, especially radio vans/trucks and command vehicles. They also have central tyre pressure regulation in the multi-axle vehicles and vehicles such as radio trucks and command cars and mobile engineering workshops had their own portable generators.Most of their engines have the older Bosch-style diesel injection pumps, so no fiddly electronics to worry about and they are multi-fuel by design, given the highly variable quality of fuel in Russia and points east.You'd have a very good fighting chance to move a family safely in them.Those Zil and Kamaz trucks are unburstable. As for the Bren carrier, great fun but skinny tracks and a small Ford petrol engine? The American-made copy, the T16 Universal Carrier was better, as it had higher sides and better stowage and more room inside....the Unimog is a world-class vehicle, no question.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

For most bug-out situations I'll take a bog-standard 4x4 pajero/land cruiser. It's Ireland lads, a tank of diesel gets you anywhere on the island and if you need to go madly offroad or can't use the roads you have bigger problems :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    For most bug-out situations I'll take a bog-standard 4x4 pajero/land cruiser. It's Ireland lads, a tank of diesel gets you anywhere on the island and if you need to go madly offroad or can't use the roads you have bigger problems :-)
    This is true. Iv gone well off the beaten track in my sorento and not got stuck yet altho imo i could do with a couple of extra inches of ground clearance sometimes and good tyres are always a sound investment. A truck could be used as a pleasure vehicle or converted to a camper van tho so would defo have its place in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407831

won't cost an arm and a leg to own and run while we are waiting for the s to htf can be used for a general run about too. easy enough to maintain after the shtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Very nice, no doubt, but petrol, in a bugout situation, will be at a premium to even find, let alone buy or obtain at gunpoint! At least diesel or kero or home heating oil or some kind of fuel usable by a basic diesel is on every farm and industrial estate in the country. If you had to move a family and worse case, have to live in a vehicle for a while, you'll need all the room you can get, in something that can at least drive along a Coillte forest track at the very minimum. Let's look at two scenarios that have happened in Ireland in the last few years, that had a major effect on people's lives, ie, the big snow of 2009/10 and the very bad floods. In both cases, the only vehicles that could move with any success were the better type of 4X4, such as Landies, Army trucks and some tractors. Fuel supplies were very affected and in the case of airports and ports, the snow and general bad weather made their operation difficult or impossible. So, it's not too unreal a demand to consider a 4x4 in the family, especially if you live where you can be affected by Mother Nature.

regards
    Stovepipe

Yeah the fact its petrol is the only reason i wouldnt buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

This is my choice, a 1950 Series 1, because I've rebuilt everything on it and know every nut and bolt on a first name basis and can fix anything on it and have a whole spare vehicle for spares (for the time being at least)
    It will run on dirty old petrol.
    It's light yet versatile.
    Goes anywhere you want.

IMG_0663-1.jpg

And if there is a EMP i camp see that stopping this Stone Age chugger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Very nice, no doubt, but petrol, in a bugout situation, will be at a premium to even find, let alone buy or obtain at gunpoint! At least diesel or kero or home heating oil or some kind of fuel usable by a basic diesel is on every farm and industrial estate in the country. If you had to move a family and worse case, have to live in a vehicle for a while, you'll need all the room you can get, in something that can at least drive along a Coillte forest track at the very minimum. Let's look at two scenarios that have happened in Ireland in the last few years, that had a major effect on people's lives, ie, the big snow of 2009/10 and the very bad floods. In both cases, the only vehicles that could move with any success were the better type of 4X4, such as Landies, Army trucks and some tractors. Fuel supplies were very affected and in the case of airports and ports, the snow and general bad weather made their operation difficult or impossible. So, it's not too unreal a demand to consider a 4x4 in the family, especially if you live where you can be affected by Mother Nature.

regards
    Stovepipe
    damn thought it was diesel!!!

yeah my ideal is a series 3 landy diesel it would be very handy for just using for outdoorsey stuff / saving the car from smelling of dead fish.

Advertisement