Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bitsnbobs

Ah guess we could but we aren't to heavy on downloading so 25Mbps is plenty.

Markus Cuddly Busboy, how are you getting on with the Asus? does it increase range considerably??

My apartment is split level, and the Cisco 3925 struggles through concrete walls to the other levels, would the Asus do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

DECEiFER wrote: »
    They simply hid the functionality by removing some client-side code from the Management page, but the ASP server-side code is still intact.

well that's weird, i just finished setting ecp3925 as bridge without any of that - bridge option was available from drop-down list

here is copy of that modem docsis diagnostic page (192.168.100.1)

Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    MAC Address: e4:48:c7:xx:xx:xx
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Disable

is there any later firmware out there and that modem wasn't upgraded yet? (which leads to another question - how often they performing upgrades? - my understanding is they would upgrade automatically on first and any subsequent connection?) it was installed at my friend's house just couple of days ago...

ok i fount that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82020713&postcount=82

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

m4rkiz wrote: »
    well that's weird, i just finished setting ecp3925 as bridge without any of that - bridge option was available from drop-down list

here is copy of that modem docsis diagnostic page (192.168.100.1)

MAC Address: e4:48:c7:xx:xx:xx
    Wireless Network: Disable

is there any later firmware out there and that modem wasn't upgraded yet? (which leads to another question - how often they performing upgrades? - my understanding is they would upgrade automatically on first and any subsequent connection?) it was installed at my friend's house just couple of days ago...

ok i fount that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82020713&postcount=82
    The functionality was re-introduced a little after this thread had started (I can't edit the original post myself as the time limit for editing it is long expired, so I'd have to rewrite it and have a moderator do it). The Bridge mode option is now available for everyone without the need to follow my instructions. It's also worth noting that the firmware is newer than when the thread was started, but IIRC, the Bridge mode option was added before the firmware update (or rather, the option is no longer hidden) due to the DOCSIS configuration file the modem downloads upon connecting every time now allowing it (I originally thought it was hidden in the firmware build's HTML code since I'm not a DOCSIS expert).

I believe the firmware update (from what I've noticed) introduced the ability to enable and disable WiFi from within Bridge mode. Before you had to turn it on or off in Router mode (and whatever state it was in was carried over to Bridge mode). I haven't been in Router mode since the update so I have no idea if any other configurations were added, but as far as I know, in Bridge mode, that is the only additional option.

NOTE: The build date on the firmware says July (it's the same on my modem as it is yours), but even into October I and others were running an August 2011 build. I have no idea why they date is wrong, perhaps it was the date they began rolling it out to select devices for (beta) testing, I really don't know. Just be reminded that the Bridge mode option was unhidden prior to us receiving the updated firmware build.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Could be coincidence but I'm not sure the latest FW didnt introduce instability, having terrible trouble as of late. See the sticky for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I have a Netgear 5GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge WNHDE111

Can anybody tell me if i should be able to use this to broadcast wi-fi around the house if i put the Cisco EPC3925 into bridge mode?
    Or am I working with the wrong tools for the job from the start?

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I have a Netgear 5GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge WNHDE111

Can anybody tell me if i should be able to use this to broadcast wi-fi around the house if i put the Cisco EPC3925 into bridge mode?
    Or am I working with the wrong tools for the job from the start?

it don't have routing capabilities so it will only allow one client device to access internet if cisco is set to bridge

i would recommend to leave cisco in router mode and disable wireless, then connect your access point to it - that will allow all clients to have access

it don't have routing capabilities so it will only allow one client device to access internet if cisco is set to bridge

i would recommend to leave cisco in router mode and disable wireless, then connect your access point to it - that will allow all clients to have access

Thanks for that.
    Ok, going to just buy a router and be done with it all hopefully.

AsI understand if i used the above config, i still wouldn't be able to use prot-forwarding etc.

Sorry for the remedial questions :o

So, Bridge the Cisco and then connect to a router:
    Which of these would be the better option. Personally, I can't really see the difference:

TL-WR841N - £19.99 on Amazon
    or
    TL-WR1043ND - £40.17 on Amazon

The obvious answer is probably the more expensive one, but is it worth the extra?
    Or would you guys recommend another router for the job in the sub-€50 range?

As I understand if i used the above config, i still wouldn't be able to use prot-forwarding etc.

as you will use cisco as router in that scenario you will only have functions that you can find in it (sorry i'm already at bridge mode and can't check it) but with better wireless
    TL-WR841N - £19.99 on Amazon
    or
    TL-WR1043ND - £40.17 on Amazon

The obvious answer is probably the more expensive one, but is it worth the extra?
    Or would you guys recommend another router for the job in the sub-€50 range?
    cheaper one has only 100Mb/s connection so i wouldn't recommend it for 100Mb or faster broadband

im using wnr3500l with tomato for nearly two years now, never had any problem with it, although wifi could be stronger (but i mainly use ethernet cables and dlan adapters) but it is around €60 delivered from amazon.de

Thanks for the response.
    Only on 50Meg Broadband, so not sure if it's a big deal. Maily want to sort out my torrent and streaming speeds.
    Max i seem to get on a torrent at the mo is about 15 Kb/sec download, and that's on a good day with a particularly good file.
    Definitely should be able to get more than that, no?. I'm not looking to download the entire internet in an hour, but would be nice to get an average file of about 300MB in reasonable time (currently a few hours at least).

Max i seem to get on a torrent at the mo is about 15 Kb/sec download, and that's on a good day with a particularly good file.

try to download that
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

it should be close to 6MB/s on your connection if there is no bottlenecks and your torrent client is configured properly

if you do that via wifi connection you most likely won't get more than ~25-30Mb/s (3-3,5MB/s ) so use speedtest.net to verify if it just torrents or whole traffic is slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Have read this whole thread (thanks OP) and now know that the bridging functionality has been added at some stage around October by UPC.

Problem is I'm still not seeing it.

Here's my DOCSIS details - how do I get the latest one down?
    Have tried turning it off & on again but no new download.

Serial Number: 244629030
    MAC Address: bc:c8:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Wireless Network: Enable

frash wrote: »
    Have read this whole thread (thanks OP) and now know that the bridging functionality has been added at some stage around October by UPC.

Problem is I'm still not seeing it.

that is the same firmware i have so it must be there
    are you sure that you looking in right place?
    after logging in go to 'administration' tab and there is drop box where you can choose between router and bridge mode

also, try another browser if you cant see it

that is the same firmware i have so it must be there
    are you sure that you looking in right place?
    after logging in go to 'administration' tab and there is drop box where you can choose between router and bridge mode

also, try another browser if you cant see it

Yeah in the right place alright (see below)
    Tried on three different browsers

:confused:

router.jpg

Just did a factory reset & still no option to switch it to 'Bridged Mode'.

Anyone any idea why I am not seeing it when others on the same release version are?

Thanks

Just did a factory reset & still no option to switch it to 'Bridged Mode'.

Anyone any idea why I am not seeing it when others on the same release version are?

Thanks
    No idea. Have you tried to call UPC and see if they can effect the change for you?

You could still follow my guide in the first post and that will get you there no problem and it is risk-free, as all the information in the post is still current for people in your situation (as we were all in the same situation at the time it was posted).

Thanks for the response.
    Only on 50Meg Broadband, so not sure if it's a big deal. Maily want to sort out my torrent and streaming speeds.
    Definitely should be able to get more than that, no?. I'm not looking to download the entire internet in an hour, but would be nice to get an average file of about 300MB in reasonable time (currently a few hours at least).
    I get whopping fast torrent speeds when the conditions are right. Never had a problem aside from when I download poorly-seeded torrents (0 to 1 seeds).

The problem as mentioned could be your torrent client or Cisco. I honestly don't think a new router will solve the problem.

If you're using the Cisco in Router mode right now, I'd check that the ports are forwarded OR UPnP is switched on. In your torrent client (I use uTorrent, it's snappy and easy to configure), make sure UPnP is switched on there also, if you don't intend on manually forwarding the ports. Also (this one's important), cap your upload speed. You say you're on the 50Mb package? You can upload a tad more than 500KB/s. I'd cap it at 100-200KB/s (or less, if you want). What often happens is the torrent will hog all your bandwidth in the upstream and that will completely choke your connection and your ability to download at any decent speed.

Otherwise, the rest of the settings at their default values (in uTorrent) are adequate enough. Though, I'd recommend doing going into the "Speed Guide" and doing the test within it so it can customize some torrent connection-related values. Be aware that doing this will also change the upload bandwidth cap value so be sure to set it back to something less than 200KB/s after you're done with the test.

If you're getting decent speeds elsewhere, there's no reason why you can't get decent torrent speeds also, since I haven't noticed any P2P throttling since becoming a UPC broadband customer about a year ago.

No idea. Have you tried to call UPC and see if they can effect the change for you?

You could still follow my guide in the first post and that will get you there no problem and it is risk-free, as all the information in the post is still current for people in your situation (as we were all in the same situation at the time it was posted).

Thanks for the reply - I ended up following your guide and it was a no-brainer.

Worked straight away.
    I'm now using a NetGear wnr2000v3 as my route with the UPC one in bridged mode.
    Wireless range isn't what I had hoped for though - would I notice a significant range increase with a higher spec router such as the 3800 mentioned earlier in this thread?

Thanks for the reply - I ended up following your guide and it was a no-brainer.

Worked straight away.
    I'm now using a NetGear wnr2000v3 as my route with the UPC one in bridged mode.
    Wireless range isn't what I had hoped for though - would I notice a significant range increase with a higher spec router such as the 3800 mentioned earlier in this thread?

I'd say so, yeah. I have a WNDR3700v1 and I'd imagine the range isn't too far from similar. You usually get what you pay for when routers are concerned. I think ED E has the WNDR3800 and is happy with it, especially compared with the EPC3925's WiFi.

Now that you're in Bridge mode, if you go into the "Administration > Management" page, do you see the page blank of options or with a sole drop-down "Working Mode" box to allow you to select "Router Mode?"

Yep, 3800 gets my thumbs up.

DECEiFER, can you post your settings from the SIP/NAT page(can't remember the subsection, its in setup), and what MTU are you using?

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, 3800 gets my thumbs up.

DECEiFER, can you post your settings from the SIP/NAT page(can't remember the subsection, its in setup), and what MTU are you using?

Yup, sure. The WNDR3700 uses the old UI. I think the WNDR3800 uses the much-sleeker new UI?

Is this what you wanted?

wndr3700v1wansetup.th.png

My MTU is 1500 and it has always been fine like that. Windows also defaults the NIC's MTU to 1500 so it's a perfect match. Back when I was on ADSL, I used a reduced MTU 1492 across the board (though it never helped to improve things so it seems pointless in hindsight).

If what you're looking for isn't entirely there, let me know what you want to see specifically and I'll post it.

• Advertisement

Yup, sure. The WNDR3700 uses the old UI. I think the WNDR3800 uses the much-sleeker new UI?

Is this what you wanted?

wndr3700v1wansetup.th.png

My MTU is 1500 and it has always been fine like that. Windows also defaults the NIC's MTU to 1500 so it's a perfect match. Back when I was on ADSL, I used a reduced MTU 1492 across the board (though it never helped to improve things so it seems pointless in hindsight).

If what you're looking for isn't entirely there, let me know what you want to see specifically and I'll post it.

The new UI follows the same layout it seems, just a more pleasant colour scheme. http://i.imgur.com/qnFKN.png

Im getting DOS attacks in the logs, might turn the SIP off, ignoring them, and open the NAT up in case my problems are linked to bridging(I suspect no, but worth attempting).

The new UI follows the same layout it seems, just a more pleasant colour scheme. http://i.imgur.com/qnFKN.png
    Yeah, it's definitely a lot better.
    Im getting DOS attacks in the logs, might turn the SIP off, ignoring them, and open the NAT up in case my problems are linked to bridging(I suspect no, but worth attempting).
    Have you tried changing your IP by cloning the WNDR3800's MAC sufficiently enough even to get you onto another gateway/subnet? I replied in your thread about the drop-outs and after you're certain enough that your machines are clean of malware, you should clone the MAC and give yourself a fresh start of sorts.

EDIT: After a few days (wait 3 at least) you can go back to the default MAC and you should get a new DHCP assignment.

By clone do you mean spoof yeah?

By clone do you mean spoof yeah?
    Yeah but I think I had a Netgear once that used the "Clone" phrase (or maybe I'm delusional, I could have seen it many places elsewhere), though my WNDR3700 doesn't use either phrase at all.

I'd say so, yeah. I have a WNDR3700v1 and I'd imagine the range isn't too far from similar. You usually get what you pay for when routers are concerned. I think ED E has the WNDR3800 and is happy with it, especially compared with the EPC3925's WiFi.

Now that you're in Bridge mode, if you go into the "Administration > Management" page, do you see the page blank of options or with a sole drop-down "Working Mode" box to allow you to select "Router Mode?"

Thanks - might look into getting a 3800 then as the 2000 that I have would have about the same range at the EPC3925.

To answer your question when I go back to that page now it's just blank.
    If I ever want / need to return I'll just do a factory reset.

To answer your question when I go back to that page now it's just blank.
    If I ever want / need to return I'll just do a factory reset.
    It's quite odd that your device doesn't show the option, presumably it downloads the same DOCSIS configuration as everyone else's each time it connects to UPC's network.

You could try doing a factory reset and letting it boot without the coaxial cable. Then turn it off and turn it back on with the coaxial cable connected again. I can't say it'll work but I'd certainly give it a try.

Contacting UPC if all else fails might be another option since they have the access to enable the showing and hiding of certain features. Tech Support might be able to help. It's worth a try if everything else doesn't work.

You can certainly do a factory reset to get it back into Router mode but you could also just use the same process in my guide that got you into Bridge mode. The HTML code snippet I have included near the top of my post, put that into the blank "Management" page in an appropriate section of the page's body code and you'll be able to switch back without doing a factory reset.

Yeah but I think I had a Netgear once that used the "Clone" phrase (or maybe I'm delusional, I could have seen it many places elsewhere), though my WNDR3700 doesn't use either phrase at all.

Gonna continue this in the thread I started.

It's quite odd that your device doesn't show the option, presumably it downloads the same DOCSIS configuration as everyone else's each time it connects to UPC's network.

You could try doing a factory reset and letting it boot without the coaxial cable. Then turn it off and turn it back on with the coaxial cable connected again. I can't say it'll work but I'd certainly give it a try.

Contacting UPC if all else fails might be another option since they have the access to enable the showing and hiding of certain features. Tech Support might be able to help. It's worth a try if everything else doesn't work.

You can certainly do a factory reset to get it back into Router mode but you could also just use the same process in my guide that got you into Bridge mode. The HTML code snippet I have included near the top of my post, put that into the blank "Management" page in an appropriate section of the page's body code and you'll be able to switch back without doing a factory reset.

Thanks for the tip but I think I'm good for the moment - everything working fine with it in bridged mode (using your guide).
    Just need to source a stronger signaled router now ;)

Thanks for the tip but I think I'm good for the moment - everything working fine with it in bridged mode (using your guide).
    Just need to source a stronger signaled router now ;)

Ah yeah, the router. If you need any help or advice, post here with a budget and if you're eyeballing any particular models and you can't decide, maybe we can help (by way of opinions, at least). Just try not to skimp too much because a good router will set you back about €80 and although you might think you're getting a deal on a cheaper one, in my experience with routers, you really do get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

The WNDR3800 seems to be recommended on this thread & I've found it online for under €100 which appears to be a good price.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WLAN-300-MBit-Router-Netgear-WNDR3800-N600-4x-GigaBit-/121049927191?pt=DE_Computing_Drahtlose_Router&hash=item1c2f234e17#ht_4688wt_1139

Can anyone give me their opinion on it's range?
    How far can you go before the signal goes from (say) 4 bars down to 2 bars?

I have a WNR2000 which I could setup as a repeater if needed but if I'm spending this kinda money I'd prefer not to have to extend.

The problem for me at the moment is that the UPC point comes in behind the TV in the front room & there's a concrete wall seperating that room from the back of the house where there's an extension. Signal is pretty crap in the extension just using either the EPC3925 (as normal) OR the EPC3925 in bridged mode with the WNR2000.

TL;DR - will the WNDR3800 give me a significant wireless range increase over the WNR2000? Significant enough to warrant €100

Advertisement