Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant memories

• 22-04-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Anyone got any favourite restaurants they remember from the past, that are gone now ?

I was remembering some of the places our family used to go to for special meals out in Dublin back in the late 70's and early 80's. When we were celebrating birthdays, passing (or in my case failing) exams like the inter cert, etc.

There was one along the quays (Bachelors walk possibly) which I think was called solomon Grundys and had a giant statue of a pig in the foyer, and there was another statue of a pig sitting at one of the tables.

Then there was the Lychee Chinese restraunt which was somewhere along the Stillorgan Dual carriageway , where you could get this giant feast of Chinese food to share among the whole group.

And the third one I remember was the Swiss Chalet Bar-B-Que resturant which later became Blakes and is now the Bondi Beach nite club place in Stillorgan. They used to do lovely Orange ice-cream floats.

They are my 3 restraunt memories - anyone else got any ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

I remember going to Woolworths on Henry St every year before Christmas, the restaurant was upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

Think Solomon Grundy's was on Suffolk St ( I remember the pig fondly!!).

There was a restaurant on Batchelor's Walk called the Gasworks - it had a tex-mex menu if I remember.

The Sunflower Chinese restaurant on O Connell St (where McD's is now - the one nearer the river).

Flanagans and its sister restaurant, Gallahers.....the former is still going strong, 30 yrs later, the latter is now a veggie restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Blakes in Stillorgan back in the day, and the Lobster tank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Near Bus aras there was the Pancake HQ which we went to a few times. Think they might have served pancakes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

mikedublin wrote: »
    Then there was the Lychee Chinese restraunt which was somewhere along the Stillorgan Dual carriageway , where you could get this giant feast of Chinese food to share among the whole group.

And the third one I remember was the Swiss Chalet Bar-B-Que resturant which later became Blakes and is now the Bondi Beach nite club place in Stillorgan. They used to do lovely Orange ice-cream floats.

They are my 3 restraunt memories - anyone else got any ?
    Was the Lychee not in Stillorgan village, beside the bike shop? Can't think of one on the dualer.

My sister worked in the Swiss Chalet when it opened. I "think" it was mostly chicken on the menu then.

Other favs were the resturant above a pub in Glasthule, name escapes me now, and FXBs in Monkstown which I think is still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Other favs were the resturant above a pub in Glasthule, name escapes me now

The Wishbone? Great days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

The Wishbone? Great days...

Ooo it took me years of describing that one to my Mum before she realised where I was talking about. We used to go there a lot. Did they do cheese fondue? I have a vague memory of the adults always eating that.

Also the Chinese on O'Connell street. Captain Americas in Dun Laoghaire. Blakes in Stillorgan. I'm convinced there was somewhere else in Ballsbridge near where Roly's and Kites and the Cuban place are...but I might be making that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

The Lotus House Dun laoghaire, American Connection Nt. Earl St....also a chinese opposite where Mc.Gonagles was..name escapes me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Near Bus aras there was the Pancake HQ which we went to a few times. Think they might have served pancakes:D

Went there for my communion dinner..they did a great half-chicken and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 geoseeker

The old Italian chipper in O'Connell Street - Forties - back in the 70's near to Cleary's I think. Early 80's, though not restaurants were Burgerland and the wee kiosk at the entrance to an amusement / slots arcade that was the first to sell kebabs in Dublin. By the way I worked in the Pancake HQ for a bit.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Rory37

Wongs Sandford Road, Ranelagh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The Uptown Grill on Mccurtain St in Cork holds many happy memories for Corkonians.I remember going there when I was very young with the family.Closed a couple of years ago sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

geoseeker wrote: »
    The old Italian chipper in O'Connell Street - Forties - back in the 70's near to Cleary's I think. Early 80's, though not restaurants were Burgerland and the wee kiosk at the entrance to an amusement / slots arcade that was the first to sell kebabs in Dublin. By the way I worked in the Pancake HQ for a bit.........

+1 for forties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

More of an American style coffee shop/deli bar Dinty Moore's in Westmoreland Street, anyone remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Many memories from Blakes, The Dalkey Island, Killiney Court Hotel, Captain Americas (Dun Laoghaire), Barry Kavanagh's (The Step Inn), The Mountain View, The Golden Ball. Only one of them that's still on the go now is The Step Inn. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

+1 for forties

Fortes in O Connell St was great too !!
    Only slagging. They did a great Cod and Chips WITH Fanta.

One poster mentioned Flanagans O Connell St. As a friend said about the food "its not much good but theres plenty of it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Chicago Pizza Pie Factory off Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

More of an American style coffee shop/deli bar Dinty Moore's in Westmoreland Street, anyone remember it?

Yep, ate lunch there regularly! I think that was the place that used to do a burger in onion sauce that was absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

There was a place on Suffolk St a couple of doors up from Elverys in the 80's that had a kind of American Police theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mcgarrett wrote: »
    There was a place on Suffolk St a couple of doors up from Elverys in the 80's that had a kind of American Police theme.

17th Precinct?

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    17th Precinct?

nice one :cool:, came into my head this morning as 18th Precinct but you have the one I'm on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

dublin forum....

dublin forum....

Don't recall it, was it a steakhouse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

gidget wrote: »
    Came to the thread to post this! We were just lucky the last time we visited there was my birthday many years ago and it just happened to be their last night open. Luckily we were regulars for family meals and birthday dinners they let us all take one of their huge menus!:-) Still have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

the 'telephone exchange' (I think?) on Wicklow St - every table had a telephone and a very visible table number so that you could chat with other guests - mortifying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

gidget wrote: »

Downstairs in the Stephens green centre facing Stephens Green. They used to ring bell every time they got a tip. They also used to sing happy birthday to people who were out celebrating for a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The Sicilian in Parnell Street in Ennis. They had great pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Here's a few I miss....

Wed Wose Cafe
    Winding Stair when it was a cafe
    Bewleys of Grafton Street when it was a cafe
    Sufis, when its was about the only late opening cafe
    Mermaid Cafe and Gruel

apologies that these not all restaurants.......they were all eating establisheries.....

Another place I really liked.....while it lasted......Dunkin Donuts on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Oh Jasus- who could forget - The Manhatten and The Gigs Place - Antie May in the Manhatten made a serious breakfast!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

The Pink Bicycle in the powerscourt centre. Very popular in the 80s.

Advertisement