Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant memories

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Old Kentucky on O'Connell St...remember having my first non-chipper hamburger there before going to see Star Wars in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Wolfman Jack's in Rathmines, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Rochester wrote: »
    Wolfman Jack's in Rathmines, brilliant.

Owned by a long haired dude if I remember rightly. He had other restaurants as well I think.

Chew and Chat pizzeria Harold's Cross, Ranelegh and Rathmines. All three are long gone- wonder what happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

For a few years in early nineties, where Lapella venue on Dame St. is was a late-nite restaurant (but I don't remember if it had a liquor license).
    Used to do a salads with plenty of nuts for about £6/8.
    It was the much-missed Underground music venue before that.
    Catered to the end of nite crowd, great place to meet fellow revellers.

For burgers New York, New York on Henry St. beside the entrance to the Ilac Centre. It may be the Locker-room shop now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

LiamMc wrote: »
    It was the much-missed Underground music venue before that.
    Catered to the end of nite crowd, great place to meet fellow revellers.

Played my first and only punk gig in there in 1990..the gig was aborted when some local troublemakers showed up and tried to gain access.

The owners of the Underground,Jeff and Noel now own La Paloma restaurant in temple Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Owned by a long haired dude if I remember rightly. He had other restaurants as well I think.

The "long haired dude" who owned Wolfman Jacks is Jay Bourke of The Globe/Ri Ra/Eden etc etc.

Surprised no one mentioned the Alpha! Great for the auld fry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I don't think there are the same person.

And a shade little off topic: the fella who owned Wolfman Jacks, did he also have an involvement in the late night hot dog stands on Leeson street which were subsequently 'bought over' by some of the more high profile Dublin Crims from the early 90's?

Jacks became Radio City if I remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

JD - I stand corrected - thanks

jd wrote: »
    The "long haired dude" who owned Wolfman Jacks is Jay Bourke of The Globe/Ri Ra/Eden etc etc.

Surprised no one mentioned the Alpha! Great for the auld fry up.

It's all coming back to me now:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Chickenland and Harvest Fried Chicken in Ranelagh, Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

The Berni Inn on the corner of Grafton St. Went there every day for lunch when I worked on Dawson St in the late 70s. Downstairs in the gloom they had a salad bar with loads of different salad choices. 'twas delish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Zachary Stingers' on Abbey Street across from Easons and 'The American Connection' with gangster themed wall paintings where the 101 Talbot is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Had my first Chinese at the Jasmine House in Bray - must be 30 years ago - eeek!

The 4 person booths had / have little tiled roofs.

Have to go back!

And probably around the same time - lunch in the Clarence before it became trendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Gallaghers, Abbey Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

More of an American style coffee shop/deli bar Dinty Moore's in Westmoreland Street, anyone remember it?

Found this thread as I just had nostalgia-brainwave remembering Dinty Moore's as a kid from when I stayed with my dad once a week while mainly living with aunt/uncle. I think I remember it having burgers in onion sauce which were quite tasty. Wonder what year it actually closed down?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Manifesto in Ranelagh. They had a superb Ceaser Salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Manifesto in Ranelagh. They had a superb Ceaser Salad.

Did you put it to the testo?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

1983 advertisements for:

- Solomon Grundy’s (now Tolteca)
    - Blazes (site empty)
    - 18th Precinct (now Pacino's)
    - Bananas (now the Restaurant Royale)
    - Captain America’s (still open)
    - The Granary (now Bad Bob's)
    - Le Parigot (now Eddie Rocket's on O'Connell Street).

Link - http://comeheretome.com/2014/01/02/advertisements-from-the-1983-dublin-theatre-festival-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone remember a place called (I think) The Pirates Den, some where nr St Stephens Green? Remember being brought there after visiting someone in hospital. Early seventies it would have been, Sub basement level if I remember. This was a big deal to me at the time, as visits to the city would have been about once a year. Probably the first restaurant I was ever in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Gallaghers, Abbey Street

Was Gallaghers not on O'Connell St?

What about The American Connection on Talbot Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The coffee dock in jury's. It was the go to place for post- everything grub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

eisenberg1 wrote: »

I thought Gallaghers was Middle Abbey Street, not Abbey Street?

Also -didn't realise Bad Bobs still existed- ouch the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Actually I saw further back, it was Flanagans on O'Connell St...

Re Gallaghers, I cannot recall exactly where that was.....(I am sure I was in it) but most likely Middle Abbey St, there was not too much on downtown LA...Lr Abbey St, as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coldcake

What was the place over the entrance to the Ilac from Moore st. I used to love the burgers in gravy when I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Is the Ranelagh Manifesto any relation to the present-day Rathmines place of the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wendys, the US chain, in dun laoghaire, where elverys is now. They had some cheap meal deal I used to get, place was always pretty empty, I think it was too nice looking and people presumed it was going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭gipi

coldcake wrote: »
    What was the place over the entrance to the Ilac from Moore st. I used to love the burgers in gravy when I was a kid

Harkins or Haskins or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

What about The American Connection on Talbot Street?

Actually I saw further back, it was Flanagans on O'Connell St...

Re Gallaghers, I cannot recall exactly where that was.....(I am sure I was in it) but most likely Middle Abbey St, there was not too much on downtown LA...Lr Abbey St, as I remember.

It was middle abbey st

Flanagans was its sister restaurant on O Connell St

• Advertisement

It was middle abbey st

Flanagans was its sister restaurant on O Connell St

Flanagans was also connected to a restaurant on Suffolk st. in the 80s- can't remember which one but they were definitely connected in some way

Advertisement