Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Pembily wrote: »
    I completed my first 5k run in 37minutes :)

Well done on finishing your C25K you have show grate perseverance with the program so well done, very good time btw.
    Best of luck with your 10K "adventure"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Well done on finishing your C25K you have show grate perseverance with the program so well done, very good time btw.
    Best of luck with your 10K "adventure"
    Thanks :) I was only on week7 when I ran so I've to finish the programme yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

I completed my first 5k run in 37minutes :)

I'm finishing my couch to 5k and then starting onto 10k and I've signed up to a 10k already :eek:

Woohoo go you! :D I could see you doing a triathalon at some stage! All thats left is to master the swimming and you're sorted ;):D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

So things got a bit hectic the last few weeks and the running fell by the wayside unfortunately :(
    But I'm back to it this week, first run was on Sunday and 2nd was this morning, went back to 8 min jogs so I didn't kill myself! (So 8min jog, 2 min walk x 4) Feels good to be back! :D:D Was looking at those Parkrun 5K runs and there's one on every Sat morning in Craigavon which isn't too far away from me. So I might do one in the New Year! :):):D

Only managed 3k this morning and I didn't even run all of it and it nearly killed me.

My next goal is a 5 mile on the end of January :eek:

BN I am not a swimming fan but I am not ruling anything out, 6 months ago I couldn't run for 1 minute let alone 40 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thanks everyone for the shop recommendations, once the christmas presents are bought, I will have to treat myself.

Still easing myself into the build up again, praying my knees will be behave. Very icy underfoot this morning, did a nice slow 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Not a good run.

Been unwell over the past two weeks and went for my first run in a week. Managed a dismal 2.5k (was putting in double or more a week or two ago) broke out in sweats and had to call it quits. Figured it may just have been iv not fully recovered or the fact it was 27 degrees or both.

Had lunch and did a very light session in the GYM under aircon for an hour and off home.I need to work less and train more, left preparation for tough mudder attempt two very late.

Will try a run in the morning before work and see can I get back on track.

Swollen glands are back.

Guess I shouldn't have been running or in the Gym Saturday and Sunday.

OOPs:o

Bit of a relief in one way. :D

Swollen glands are back.

Guess I shouldn't have been running or in the Gym Saturday and Sunday.

OOPs:o

Bit of a relief in one way. :D

Swollen glands, oh no! You must be miserable - fingers crossed you'll be back out pounding the pavements in no time!

I'm still just chugging along, very gradually adding time to my weekly runs, though it's nice to see that even without adding much by way of distance, I am getting faster :)

Hope everyone else is getting on well!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I'm finally back on track!

I took a few weeks out of C25K to deal with real life (bleh!) and an ankle injury, but I've done some smaller runs in the last fortnight and finally went back to W7D3 today. I had been at the end of week 8 when I took my break, but I'm happy enough to build up again.

I've enjoyed reading back over what I've missed and want to congratulate everyone who has ploughed on and finished - I can't wait to join the club and I'm absolutely determined to do it. :D

• Advertisement

Good news...

Took it easy for a week to make sure i was healthy. It also may have saved my bacon that the adventure race was moved to April.... (2 extra months training):D

Went for a light run but felt much better and did 20 min at 10k/h - 12k/h and felt comfortable, a higher pace than i normally jog at.

Hit the gym for two hours after that so feeling back on form and will start upping the intensity over Christmas.

So I'm moving on to 10k, can anyone recommend a good app? I loved the get running 5k one but they don't seem to do a 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I don't know if there's an app, Pembily, but I used Hal Higdon's training plans and would really recommend them. Built up the distances gently but consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Dear C25K Lady Voice on the app,

I'm so very sorry for lying to you. But 5/8 runs isn't bad!

Day 1 will be repeated again as penance.

Please forgive me,

SarahBeep!

But hey, at least I got off my ass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have done nothing all December :o Just been eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow. I'll be back into the swing of things come Jan 1st - have to, I just signed up for the Rock and Roll half marathon in August :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Oh my god eveiltwin I am excatly the same. I've stuffed myself for the last two weeks, and not done a tap of exercise. The way I look at it though is I do plenty of exercise throughout the year, so Its fine for me to take a few weeks off and completely overindulge :)

I've decided to set myself the goal of half marathon at the great limerick run. I've never done more than a 10km before, anyone have any good links to training plans for half marathon?

Anyone else set any new running goals for 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

So I'm moving on to 10k, can anyone recommend a good app?
    I downloaded one called 10k Trainer FREE which I have yet to start. It builds on your 5k so you can begin at week 9 if you are comfortably running 5k
    I am struggling with 5k at the moment. I need to start getting out min 3 times a week to build it up and push on for 10k

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh my god eveiltwin I am excatly the same. I've stuffed myself for the last two weeks, and not done a tap of exercise. The way I look at it though is I do plenty of exercise throughout the year, so Its fine for me to take a few weeks off and completely overindulge :)

I've decided to set myself the goal of half marathon at the great limerick run. I've never done more than a 10km before, anyone have any good links to training plans for half marathon?

there is a good 10k and half marathon training plan on TheRunningBug.co.uk

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have done nothing all December :o Just been eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow.

Snap , but I also picked up an injury "runner's knee" and now have to do even more streches during my warm up, but like you I need to get back into the swing of things and start back running, don't want to waist all the effort that I just put in to get to this satge.

I have, pretty much, kept up my running over December, and am about to head out for my first run of 2013, (with a new running watch, thank you Santa), but despite the best of intentions, I ate and drank like a mad thing over the last couple of weeks. So new leaf, and all that, once again! Everyone's so ambitious, can't imagine doing a half marathon, I still haven't made it to 10km yet, hopefully someday soon :)
    Snap , but I also picked up an injury "runner's knee" and now have to do even more streches during my warm up, but like you I need to get back into the swing of things and start back running, don't want to waist all the effort that I just put in to get to this satge.

You have my sympathy, I get that in one of my knees too!

• Advertisement

I did my first run of the year yesterday...in bits today :( I only did 3k at a gentle pace and it was so hard, that's a lesson learnt about going mad over christmas :eek:

I have the plague so haven't run in over a week :( Really wanted to get out this evening but barely have the energy to walk to work!

Well done to both of ye for the first run of 13!!

I have, pretty much, kept up my running over December, and am about to head out for my first run of 2013, (with a new running watch, thank you Santa)

Good for you for keeping going during December, and it looks like Santa brought you just wat you wanted :D
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I did my first run of the year yesterday

Well done on your first run of 2013,
    I have the plague so haven't run in over a week
    I hope it clears up soon, so you can get back into the swing of things

Back at it over Christmas, got out 3 times and ate my own body weight so it was hit and miss.

Did 20min fast paced run and an 1.5hours in the GYM yesterday and Saturday.
    Came home and ate remaining Christmas Ham :o

Will aim for a distance run this evening and start eating normally again.:o

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sort my back injury out for once and for all. 6 months on and I struggle to run 10km these days because of it. No racing or time goals. Also haven't run since Christmas Day due to an outbreak of the (wo)manflu.

Also, do more yoga and lifting.

First run of 2013 over, ran around 4K, happy enough wit it over all, "runners knee" was a bit sore when running and stiff today, but we will see how it is on Saturday.
    Very simple goals this year
    Join the Fit4Life
    run some more 5K and 10 K races during the year
    Climb Croagh Patrick, the last time I did this I was unfit and was in a bad way after it for a few days

Well second run of the new year complete, finding it much harder to get out these mornings, but battling on nevertheless.

Keeping going! I got too ambitious last year and ended up injuring myself, so at the moment I just want to keep up three runs a week with very gradual increases, and keep up the habit. Hopefully will do another race or two in the spring, but again, not putting pressure on myself.

Mine include complete a 8k the end of this month, a 10k in March, not sure about April and then a 10k in May. Then May - October I am doing cycles (ranging from 100km - 180km) but I will keep running in between for fitness.

12 week Tough Mudder training schedule ready. Need to add Gym to it but iv been ok with Gym attendance.

Bit concerned over not allot of rest days but will give it a go and see what I can get done.

The slacking, eating and Christmas drinking must stop.
    I finally have a waste size I had before college, work and allot of debauchery took its toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Chuckels

Started C25k last week. Completed W1D3 yesterday, I am doing the time based version as opposed to distance. So in 20mins I did approx 3km... Considering I haven't even gone on a brisk walk since approx 2009, I was pretty happy with myself.

I found it quite tough going though and am very nervous about progressing to week 2. Has anyone else gone and done week 1 twice in a row before progressing? I am incredibly unfit and also have weight to lose, so I also don't want to push it too far and then end up packing it in!

Everyone in here seems to have some basic fitness level even when they were starting, that is definitely not where I am starting from!!

Advertisement