Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

" Apparently "...just sums it all up. Ifs, buts and now apparently.. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As an outsider looking in, I always thought that Waterford had a very strong reliance on their under 21 team from 94, same as Clare had on their minor team in 89, Clare were lucky to make the breakthrough early after losing 2 Munster finals in a row and pushed on straight away in 95, the first day in 98 was a massive occasion for Waterford and I felt not winning that day set ye back a lot, having to wait 4 years to win a Munster after that meant that the under 21 team were 8 years since winning something, that is a very long time for a team to keep together. It went from being a massive thing to win a Munster to being a massive thing to get to an All Ireland final. It also didn't help being up against a couple of the best teams ever (Cork and Kilkenny). IMVHO if the drawn Munster final was any other result than a draw Waterford hurling would have had a far different history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Motivator wrote: »
    In 2008 Cody basically sent them out to humiliate Waterford. Apparently he told the panel not to look at the scoreboard, don't listen to the crowd, don't listen to Waterford just go & "put them in the ground".

As a proud Waterford man at that game, that statement is an absolute disgrace and dishonour to Kilkenny hurling. If anything we were the team going out to try and put Kilkenny in the ground. We failed miserably, Kilkenny put on one of the greatest displays of hurling ever and the rest is history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm not about to suggest that what Cody said according to one is true, but at the same time I'd like to ask the people who are getting on their high horse about it how many of ye were in the dressing room, or had tape recorders in there that ye seem to definitively know that there is no way Cody said that?

To be honest, if he did say it it wouldn't bother me too much by the way. I've heard plenty of worse words and terms used to describe the players on opposing teams, when the people saying those words wouldn't no any of the players on that team from Adam. To suggest that County is excempt from using similar terms without having played under him is ludicrous really.

I dunno whether he does or he doesn't, but lets have some realism here before we start painting some holier than thou image of managers/players purely on account of their success. I severly doubt Cody was saying 'Ye are worthy opponents and its been an honour playing ye' during his exchange with Cunningham at the end of the drawn all-ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Very sorry to hear that the captain of the '59 team Frankie Walsh is not doing to well in Waterford Regional Hospital. Hope that he can make a recovery and be out and about in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I'm not about to suggest that what Cody said according to one is true, but at the same time I'd like to ask the people who are getting on their high horse about it how many of ye were in the dressing room, or had tape recorders in there that ye seem to definitively know that there is no way Cody said that?

To be honest, if he did say it it wouldn't bother me too much by the way. I've heard plenty of worse words and terms used to describe the players on opposing teams, when the people saying those words wouldn't no any of the players on that team from Adam. To suggest that County is excempt from using similar terms without having played under him is ludicrous really.

I dunno whether he does or he doesn't, but lets have some realism here before we start painting some holier than thou image of managers/players purely on account of their success. I severly doubt Cody was saying 'Ye are worthy opponents and its been an honour playing ye' during his exchange with Cunningham at the end of the drawn all-ireland final.

I know what you mean

ojifpk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Happy christmas to the dear old neighbours from across the Youghal bridge and best wishes to all Waterford teams in 2013 so long as it's not at Corks expense!:D Oh and despite what those buffoons said in the RTE sports awards Canon O'Brien is alive and well and still burning jersies.:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/time-for-reflection-as-mullane-seeks-motivation-217965.html looks like mullanes last year unless he wins a big one, I would say he will come back once more,but after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any of the Waterford hurling team on Twitter?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

IanVW wrote: »
    Anyway where alls finnished talking about the past any news on 2013 squad?:)

Training away afaik, Sunday mornings is one session

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

deisedude wrote: »
    Any of the Waterford hurling team on Twitter?

Plenty.. But their twitters arent like say Cork/Tipp hurlers twitters where they tweet like anyone is reading. Waterford hurlers kinda tweet whatever they want their friends to see :pac:
    I can pm you links if you want though?
    Lawl I sound so creepy here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I would prefer if our players concentrate more on their hurling than their twittering!That Twitter rubbish does nothing to enhance your chances of success!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I would prefer if our players concentrate more on their hurling than their twittering!That Twitter rubbish does nothing to enhance your chances of success!

Aww no, I just saw a lovely picture Eoin Cadogan tweeted of himself and Patrick Cronin in Australia. I feel my life has benefited greatly since :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/time-for-reflection-as-mullane-seeks-motivation-217965.html looks like mullanes last year unless he wins a big one, I would say he will come back once more,but after that...

I'd say he'll give it another year alright. If he was retiring Youd imagine hed have his mind made up by now. Can definetly see his point about wanting to spend more time with his family but hes still one of the best in the business and hed regret it greatly if he was to step away at this stage.

Does anyone have the provisional panel? I heard a number this years panel werent called back like Shane Casey, Tommy Ryan or Brian O'Halloran

I'd say he'll give it another year alright. If he was retiring Youd imagine hed have his mind made up by now. Can definetly see his point about wanting to spend more time with his family but hes still one of the best in the business and hed regret it greatly if he was to step away at this stage.

Does anyone have the provisional panel? I heard a number this years panel werent called back like Shane Casey, Tommy Ryan or Brian O'Halloran

Brian O'Halloran not back? I hope they are putting him on the intermediate to give him some gametime then, if we can't blood him properly then we have no hope of getting a strong team together anywhere in the next 10 years .

P.S. I'm just using him as an example, I don't mean he can carry a team,

Thanks but if they are just talking to their friends i won't bother. Have been using the work twitter account for a while, just getting into having a personal account now
    deise_girl wrote: »

Plenty.. But their twitters arent like say Cork/Tipp hurlers twitters where they tweet like anyone is reading. Waterford hurlers kinda tweet whatever they want their friends to see :pac:
    I can pm you links if you want though?
    Lawl I sound so creepy here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Players have lives outside of hurling and football and can do what they like when not playing. The only time i would have a problem with them tweeting is if it was in the middle of a match and they out on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

RIP Frankie Walsh

Brian O'Halloran not back? I hope they are putting him on the intermediate to give him some gametime then, if we can't blood him properly then we have no hope of getting a strong team together anywhere in the next 10 years .

P.S. I'm just using him as an example, I don't mean he can carry a team,

im not positive that hes off it but thats just what Ive heard. He looked the real deal in 09' when waterford won the Munster Minor but since then youd have to say he hasnt looked as good. Injuries havent helped to be fair.

I wonder is Niall Carew monitoring the situation, very talented footballer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

RIP FRANKIE WALSH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

deisedub wrote: »
    RIP FRANKIE WALSH.
    Just saw this when I had a look on the web. Worth a look. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-oxXVVPow&feature=youtube_gdata_player

im not positive that hes off it but thats just what Ive heard. He looked the real deal in 09' when waterford won the Munster Minor but since then youd have to say he hasnt looked as good. Injuries havent helped to be fair.

I wonder is Niall Carew monitoring the situation, very talented footballer also.

you jhave to agree if the "supertalent" can't be made into a starter ,what hope do we have,if there was success right now then I mioght have a kk attitude as it is, the panel is maybe only about 8 solid players compared to the 12-13 of 5 years ago ,and we need more

you jhave to agree if the "supertalent" can't be made into a starter ,what hope do we have,if there was success right now then I mioght have a kk attitude as it is, the panel is maybe only about 8 solid players compared to the 12-13 of 5 years ago ,and we need more

He has had horrific injuries to be fair at possibly the most important stage from a development perspective in his senior career. Give him time yet. I'd agree he probably shouldn't be on the panel now but thats not to say he won't be in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any other news for the 2013 panel lads? Or minor or U21? Being on the other side of the world, you would hear nothing!

PS Happy New Year to all ye Deise supporters, please God some silverware will come our way in 2013!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ignore what was written in the Examiner - Mullane will play but it will be his last year from what I heard. Heard the panel was fairly young alright

Waterford SH Training Panel as released by Team Management tonight incorporating 12 newcomers to the Senior Panel (marked **)

1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Ian O’Regan Mount Sion
    3. Seanie Barry Lismore **
    4. Martin O’Neill Mount Sion
    5. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    6. Paudie Prendergast Lismore **
    7. Ray Barry Lismore **
    8. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    9. Gavin Crotty Dungarvan
    10. Shane Kearney Dungarvan **
    11. Mark Wyse Passage **
    12. Noel Connors Passage
    13. Killian Fitzgerald Passage **
    14. Eddie Barrett De La Salle **
    15. Dean Twomey De La Salle
    16. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    17. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    18. John Mullane De La Salle
    19. Jake Dillon De La Salle **
    20. Eoin Madigan De La Salle **
    21. Tony Browne Mount Sion
    22. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner **
    23. Brian O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    24. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    25. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    26. Richie Foley Abbeyside
    27. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    28. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    29. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    30. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater **
    31. Darragh Fives Tourin
    32. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    33. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore
    34. Donie Breathnach An Rinn **
    35. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore Kinsalebeg.

Heard rumours a while back about Philip Mahony emigrating... I guess his exclusion from this panel gives us the answer :(

Glad to see O'Halloran, Dillon and Barron included though

Is Stevie Molumphy doing a tour if duty?

Surprised David O' Sullivan isnt included either

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

deisedude wrote: »
    Is Stevie Molumphy doing a tour if duty?

Surprised David O' Sullivan isnt included either

Yea molumphys will be away. David o Sullivan opted out, work commitments. Philip isn't emigrating but will be travelling probably until June so isn't considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Maybe it's because it's late, but I don't see any glaring ommissions. One or two question marks over a couple, but that said it's a sizeable panel and everyone selected deserves an opportunity to show what they're worth. And I hope they duly get it.

One thing that was always going to be the case is the youth in the team. I have to say, while it's good that the best young players get this kind of exposure I wonder do we sometimes over do it. It seem that very little exception is made for the late bloomer in this County. Anybody of that age brought into the team is questioned, and usually he's written off because people believe he is only in the team because of the parish he hails from and I have to say it's something that doesn't sit right with me.

Mind you I raised an eyebrow over the selection of 3 or 4 players in that list, and my initial reaction was to put it down to politics, so I have decided to give everyone a chance in a Waterford jersey before I decide who's not good enough. If the 3 men in charge of this team have decided this is the best of the available players than I'd be inclined to agree.

Molumphy is a massive loss, Mahony is a big loss too. We'll be doing well though if thats the extent of the players we lose through out the year. Roll on the Crystal Cup, Up The Déise :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement