Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you want to live forever if it were possible?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

If you had the opportunity of immortality would you take it? Would it be the panacea to all your problems and the chance to learn unlimited languages, visit unseen destinations, have all sorts of experiences and meet amazing people.

Or conversely you could be stuck forever and a day in unsatisfactory jobs that pay little, limited in your choices, lumbered with annoying people and circumstances which would make you yearn for the big sleep/afterlife/purgatory ( delete as appropriate according to belief system )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It would be impossible not to get rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Can remember thinking the same many years ago. Life gets harder as you get older. Therefore living forever is a pain in the ass for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

I'd say you'd go mad Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It would be impossible not to get rich.

How would one get rich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Depends on the state of my body, does it remain youthful as well as alive? No point in living forever if you're old and sick and crap.

I think I'd get bored/pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

What happens when the world ends and you're there floating around space bored witless for eternity unable to kill yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Only if i could travel the world seeking out all other immortals so we could battle with swords, hoping to behead my opponents and inherit their power through a series of cinematic lightning strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I wouldn't want to do it on my own. You need people in your life.

Remember the Green Mile, near the end
    where his punishment for allowing John Coffey to be killed was that his life would last long. He said that all the people he lived died before his very eyes and he couldn't do anything about it.

It is this VERY reason: your loved ones would perish to old age, sickness and death while you live an unhappy, false existence in the meantime. No, I'm grand thanks, if it was just me. If you could bring people back, now that would be something.

On this heavy, morbid note: HAPPY NEW YEAR.

The Dagda wrote: »
    Can you tell us of this guaranteed get rich scheme?
    yes,it's called live forever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd get pissed off. I've already had enough now as it is :p Seriously, seeing so many things change while you're alive won't make you feel good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Fuk no. Out living your friends and family continuously forever is only one factor in it for me

The other would be the risk of not actually living everyday/week/year to the most because there's an infinite amount of them. I'd say it would also be so blindingly repeatetive and begin to seem fake as well.

yes,it's called live forever.

And money magics out of one's arse?

And money magics out of one's arse?

you could spend 60 years in college getting various degrees and phd's.I'm pretty sure somebody with 6 or so phd's would be only a fairly good wage.

you could spend 60 years in college getting various degrees and phd's.I'm pretty sure somebody with 6 or so phd's would be only a fairly good wage.

So working? That's the plan? I can see holes...

So working? That's the plan?

If you'd want to go for eternity doing nothing you'd live a fairly sad life.

If you'd want to go for eternity doing nothing you'd live a fairly sad life.

You seemed certain about the riches, i'm sensing some doubt now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sounds like a movie script OP

ca-ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

So working? That's the plan? I can see holes...

Well you could work like a donkey and when you have enough money, go on holiday for a decade or two.

If it was just me then no. That would be incredibly lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Best Queen song ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I want to live forever :)
    But they haven't got this technology anywhere near ready, and I doubt I'll be here in 50 years, so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

But they haven't got this technology anywhere near ready, and I doubt I'll be here in 50 years, so...

Should watch that movie Chronos by that spanish lad who made hellboy. Guillermo del Toro. Interesting and simple technology even if it is Sci-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Teddy, no offence like, but I dont want you to live forever, idont want to live forever myself, I dont want my Dad who I loveto bits tolive forever, we are all part ofa natural cycle that must be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

There's a great movie that covers this question, kinda. The Man From Earth, recommended watching for anyone and everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Where To wrote: »
    Teddy, no offence like, but I dont want you to live forever, idont want to live forever myself, I dont want my Dad who I loveto bits tolive forever, we are all part ofa natural cycle that must be respected.
    They could do it like the euromillions.
    One lucky person would get to live for anther few million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I reckon after a while you'd become desensitized to your loved ones dying, It may get a bit boring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a movie script OP

ca-ching!

A very long movie script...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If I could check out whenever I wanted to rather than being invincible, then cool, why not?

Invincibility would be great and all, but unless you're content to live without ever making any meaningful relationships, I'm sure life would begin to grate on you. Although you might be able to justify love like owning a pet and accept that the crushing pain when they die is worth the love you receive when they're alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP was obviously watchin Indy & The Last Crusade yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

How would one get rich?

you could cancel your life insurance policy payments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Every feeling and emotion you had and life in general would become meaningless I reckon and repeatative. So you would lose all motavation eventually anyway so who could live like that.
    That nostalgic feeling you get as you age as the world changes missing what happened in your past or what you used to do is part of life. If you lived forever this would not matter to you at all. Who would want that?
    And yes you would become rich through infinite oppurtunities but what would that matter without the rest.

Advertisement