Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you want to live forever if it were possible?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

HHobo wrote: »
    I understand economics as well as most economists, that is to say not very well :)

I took the poster to be suggesting that you are unique in this living forever bit. In that scenario I give you Einstein

“The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest”

Compound interest has no effect on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What doesn't he understand. If you live forever and economys continue to grow, a small bit of investing would make you rich.

All wars and economic collapse could harm it a bit, so diversify.
    A small bit of smart investing could make you rich.

Regression to the mean, the house always wins, etc basically means that in the long-term game €1 invested even across a wide range of things will still only mature in line with inflation.

The trick is getting your money out when the going's good and potting it. If you could play the long term game over hundreds of years, then you can spend pennies and sit on things until they're worth something, like some bogland in the backarse of nowhere. However, simply throwing a few euro into long-term bonds won't make you a multi-millionaire 150 years later.

Both. Compound interest. Maybe you should explain why we are wrong.

I initially responded to a poster who stated it would "be impossible to not be rich".

I disagree. You're wrong if you think the only prerequisite for wealth is time.

seamus wrote: »
    A small bit of smart investing could make you rich.

Regression to the mean, the house always wins, etc basically means that in the long-term game €1 invested even across a wide range of things will still only mature in line with inflation.

The trick is getting your money out when the going's good and potting it. If you could play the long term game over hundreds of years, then you can spend pennies and sit on things until they're worth something, like some bogland in the backarse of nowhere. However, simply throwing a few euro into long-term bonds won't make you a multi-millionaire 150 years later.

This.

Immortality would only be an advantage if you already had a talent for generating wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

The Dagda wrote: »
    Compound interest has no effect on time...

Did you tell me I didn't understand economics :)

Time has an effect on compound interest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Too right I would. Imagine how many different lives you could lead.

Spend one lifetime here, another in Brazil, another in Australia etc etc. Why not try experience all the different cultures and lifestyles around the world ?

Once your dead, your dead. That's it. There's no coming back. Your dead for eternity. Why end your life when you've only seen or visited 1% of the Earth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

What would be the point of immortality? It's not like you'd get any taller.

Did you tell me I didn't understand economics :)

Time has an effect on compound interest!

The compounding of interest only occurs when there is a principle amount to which interest is being applied.

You need more than time, compound interest, or any combination of the two, to generate a principle sum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Once the fix cell regeneration we'll all be living forever. The Russians reckon it will be possible by 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

The compounding of interest only occurs when there is a principle amount to which interest is being applied.

You need more than time, compound interest, or any combination of the two, to generate a principle sum. :rolleyes:

I was assming until now that you were arguing your case in good faith. It was assumed by everyone else that nobody was suggesting sitting in a room all day and magically expecting wealth to appear. It was presumed that you would still be doing most of the things the lot of us currently unwealthy people would be doing. These things are not enough to make you wealthy in the average life span. They would guarantee it if longevity were not a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If I could be immortal but able to ensign when I choose then yea.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It would be impossible not to get rich.

This is what I originally responded to. It most certainly would be possible to not get rich.
    I was assming until now that you were arguing your case in good faith. It was assumed by everyone else that nobody was suggesting sitting in a room all day and magically expecting wealth to appear. It was presumed that you would still be doing most of the things the lot of us currently unwealthy people would be doing. These things are not enough to make you wealthy in the average life span. They would guarantee it if longevity were not a factor.

Whilst I find it strange that you think you can speak for everyone, I'm going to try and make my point one more time.

The only alternative to getting rich is NOT "sitting in a room all day and magically expecting wealth to appear" it takes more than time to generate wealth. People do not get rich by simply working a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

You'd be quite rich by buying an iPad or a Black and Decker drill, leaving in original wrapping and "discovering" it in 10/100/1000 years time. The antiques route.

Writing definitive histories for forthcoming generations would be a nice little earner - but with that would come fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

This is what I originally responded to. It most certainly would be possible to not get rich.

Whilst I find it strange that you think you can speak for everyone, I'm going to try and make my point one more time.

The only alternative to getting rich is NOT "sitting in a room all day and magically expecting wealth to appear" it takes more than time to generate wealth. People do not get rich by simply working a very long time.

You'd want to be a bit of a simpleton if you can't figure out how to get rich with potentially millions of years experience. Maybe not impossible, but certainly extremely improbable that you couldn't do it.

Of course time isn't everything, but when time = ∞, it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cionád wrote: »
    You'd want to be a bit of a simpleton if you can't figure out how to get rich with potentially millions of years experience. Maybe not impossible, but certainly extremely improbable that you couldn't do it.
    Well, this is true. After 50 years, even the biggest eejit should be able to spot boom-bust cycles and buy low, sell high with reasonable accuracy/confidence.

People tend to be overly obssessed with getting in exactly at the trough at selling exactly at the peak for maximum profit, but when you're not concerned about time, you'll be happy enough if you buy close to the trough and sell close to the peak rather than trying to get it spot on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It would be impossible not to get rich.
    LOL

Until recently only a tiny percentage of the population have been able to accumulate wealth. And in many cases there are periodic downturns that erode any wealth at the bottom and transfer it to the very rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

LOL

Until recently only a tiny percentage of the population have been able to accumulate wealth. And in many cases there are periodic downturns that erode any wealth at the bottom and transfer it to the very rich.

I don't think anybody wants to live longer by taking a trip to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yes, just absolutley yes! :)
    Who wouldnt want to live forever though tbh, within reason obviously, if you just stopped ageing etc at a certain point whatever point that was wouldnt matter to me as long really, just to never stop existing or feeling etc and to go on forever would be awesome!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Provided I dont keep ageing, damn right I would.

Just think of all the stuff you're going to miss when you die. Live forever and you wont miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Meh, I'll do it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How would one get rich?

Well ya couldn't die tryin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Just buy a prize bond - sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hell no. Everything gets boring after a while. Death is a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

dd972 wrote: »
    Would you want to live forever if it were possible?

No way, the average life span would do me just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

If i was multi-millionaire i probably be fine with living a bit longer. But come on does it matter, in 100 years, nobody will even know you were here living and raising a family. And if there is no afterlife after you die? Your basically just living the moment. Its depressing stuff i'm saying, but its just reality face up to it.

Having to care for myself on a ok wage is tough enough, living more than 85 on a **** pension doesn't really appeal to me, personally.

Advertisement