Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual(ie wierd) Confirmation names.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I managed to get Gemma in for mine, had to start crying two days before the Mass "it's for my grandad". The allowed me to go ahead.

The sister's after informing me that there was "Cloud" and "Sky" in her class, not sure how true that is though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

There was a girl in my class who wanted to take Madonna for hers but she wasn't allowed as she chose it for the wrong reasons. It's just Mary in Italian though. I was allowed to take Sinead and I only took it cos I liked the name. I don't even know if there's a Saint Sinead...I really doubt it. Off I go to google it now....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sinéad is Jane in English.
    What about good ol' Concepta,Redempta,Jacinta and Assumpta??And of course,for the beekeepers amongst us:Gobnait.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Bosco or St. John Bosco
    Might not be cool nowadays though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

What about good ol' Concepta,Redempta,Jacinta and Assumpta??And of course,for the beekeepers amongst us:Gobnait.

Hmmm yeah. That might've been my justification for it back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

I was obsessed with E.R and wanted cleo...ended up with st cleopatra! Morto looking back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

OOh stop. Sure I could have googled it if I wanted a list, I wanted to hear what the inmates of AH think, you can be sure someone on here is a street ahead of google anyway, if you're looking for off-the-wall, this is the font of all knowledge.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

My ex picked Santa. Mine's Bernadette

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I think nearly all of my class picked Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Reading through this I'm struggling to remember which name I picked.... It wasn't even all that long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

My son's confirmation class were NOT ALLOWED to take confirmation names:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's a St. Boniface, great name.

I picked Louise, a name I don't even like anymore. Good thing I never have to use it or write it. I originally had a gorgeous name starting with an A that I can't remember, but had to ditch it last second when someone pointed out my initials would spell crab.:(

What about good ol' Concepta,Redempta,Jacinta and Assumpta??And of course,for the beekeepers amongst us:Gobnait.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK that also means Deborah in english:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

My brother took two confirmation names, Steven Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Smidge wrote: »

Sure thats the best part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Is he a Simpsons fan? How about one of Jebediah Springfield's middle names?

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Jebediah_Springfield

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

He could pick the name Jesus.

My friend picked the name Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Well mine was...mine was John.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My mate chose Alphonsus "for the laugh".

Any key? wrote: »
    Sure thats the best part

The priest who was looking after the confirmation class is a bit up his own(if you'll pardon the expression)
    It was very little about the kids and all about him imo(can you tell that I'm not so fond of the priest??:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

the lads in the year ahead of him must have really taken the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Where was that? That's crazy considering that taking a new name is part of the Ceremony

the lads in the year ahead of him must have really taken the pi$$

Not at all!
    He is just a control freak.
    I confronted him about it, outlining how taking a name at confirmation is important within the confirmation rite(like all religions who have a "coming of age ceremony".

I used my religious knowledge as best I could outlining that having been given our name at baptism was our parents right to commit us to the faith therefore taking a confirmation name was the child themselves CHOOSING to be part of the catholic faith as an adult and giving themselves their own name when they became "soldiers of Christ"(all part of my teaching at confirmation).

Did he listen to my theological arguement??
    Did he sh*te:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Yeah my brother actually picked blaise.
    My mam was disgusted!!
    He should pick a lady saint.

Also, there is a saint tron and saint chillen.
    Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Not at all!
    He is just a control freak.
    I confronted him about it, outlining how taking a name at confirmation is important within the confirmation rite(like all religions who have a "coming of age ceremony".

I used my religious knowledge as best I could outlining that having been given our name at baptism was our parents right to commit us to the faith therefore taking a confirmation name was the child themselves CHOOSING to be part of the catholic faith as an adult and giving themselves their own name when they became "soldiers of Christ"(all part of my teaching at confirmation).

Did he listen to my theological arguement??
    Did he sh*te:rolleyes:

Should have written to the Bishop and asked for his guidance. Priest wouldn't have been happy but by the sounds of it he was only happy being a little dictator in his own world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

St.Lucifer, the most badass coolest saint of the lot :D

neemish wrote: »
    Should have written to the Bishop and asked for his guidance. Priest wouldn't have been happy but by the sounds of it he was only happy being a little dictator in his own world

If you think that's bad you should have seen the xmas nativity:D:eek:

There were actually two Dads of kids in the nativity(I have a younger child still there)who ripped the complete p*ss out of him the whole way through, the priest was that bad(not that I would condone that sort of thing:o)

In fairness, I did have it out with him over the phone about the confirmation names(as by that stage he had become a law unto himself).
    Did me not a jot of good.

He sucked every last bit of life out of the ceremony(no confirmation clothes, no ceremonial robes, no photos during the ceremony, no confirmation names) and then the Catholic church wonder why people lose faith?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

A guy I grew up with took Padre Pio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Adiboo wrote: »

Tell me his last name wasn't De Phile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Adiboo wrote: »
    10,000 Midlands motorists want him back, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement