Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential for extreme wind event Friday/Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its coming up to five to midnight so lets head over to Met Eireann on RTE Radio1 or Sky 0160 if its handy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking forward to this, I live in a very windy location so bring it on.
    Although last night I had to go around the house tying things up in the midst of the mini storm, it was quite dangerous to be out in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It'll be more dangerous tomorrow.

I'm really glad this sparkling thread came along to replace the tedium of the where's my snow whingefest in these parts. Those people have no sense. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Any updates guys? or is it looking pretty much the same as earlier in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weathering wrote: »
    Any updates guys? or is it looking pretty much the same as earlier in the day

Still looking about the same as earlier. There was a bit of a downgrade on the NAE model but overall its the same picture : winds up to force 11 at sea, on west/northwest coasts force 9 sometimes 10, inland from those coasts windy but nothing too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Hope its nothing like the 1998 storm of 26th Dec, that was scary, gust of 98k (180kph) recorded at malin head that night. We lost a fair few roof tiles and lots of damage done here in donegal.

This particular system is largely forecast to be confined to Donegal where it will possibly be nasty, however I personally see two more systems incoming in short order and with the NAO going sharply positive and out of model forecast range the Atlantic is to my mind going to drive the weather for the next fortnight and with a strong emphasis on drive.

This thread will be the more interesting one around here for the next while (while we wait for that potential SSW) .

Infract that Pistolpetes. :D

BANNED FOR 2 DAYS AND SB KNOWS WHY

Hope its nothing like the 1998 storm of 26th Dec, that was scary, gust of 98k (180kph) recorded at malin head that night. We lost a fair few roof tiles and lots of damage done here in donegal.

It won't be close to being severe as that, don't worry. It will be the atlantic facing Mayo coast that will be getting the stongest winds from this anyway.

It was a 96kt gust in 1998 at Malin. 98kt was in 1961. It wasn't far off the record though.

Belullet will probably have the highest gust tomorrow evening.

Problem with this system is that it could hang around till Sunday with a battering effect. Lots of powerful systems are rather fast moving and while they generate high headline speeds and are positively scary for an hour or two they then decay rather quickly.

Not this one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Sorry misquoted speed in '98 storm it was actually 96kts as maquiladora pointed out. Wasn't even born in '61

What did it get to last December, that was the worst storm we got here since 1998.
    edit:
    91 knots/172kmph
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/03/weather-warning-update-hurricane-gust-of-172kmhr-at-malin-head/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looks to be at it's strongest between 5 and midnight Friday

wi21_zps6761ffae.gif

Another powerfull jetstream with it too

wi211_zpseda8de90.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Does anyone remember a storm in the winter of 2004 in the north east of the country?
    It was the worst storm I can remember and did a fair bit of damage around the house.

Sorry Smidge I don't know. Pangea it's unusually met.ie don't have that in extreme weather events as sustained winds were hurricane force
    Bsal could you please link the website you supplied for wind or anyone else who knows it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Weathering wrote: »
    Sorry Smidge I don't know. Pangea it's unusually met.ie don't have that in extreme weather events as sustained winds were hurricane force
    Bsal could you please link the website you supplied for wind or anyone else who knows it. Thanks

Thanks anyway, have always wondered what kind of speeds the wind got up to during that storm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Very stormy for the past 2 hrs in Galway .

latest from met.ie
    Today
    Becoming extremely windy by evening with gale force southerly winds with some very severe or damaging gusts, especially in exposed parts of the northwest. Top temperatures of 11 or 12 degrees.
    Tonight
    Extremely windy for a time early tonight in parts of the northwest and north but winds easing overnight
    Saturday night: Very cold, windy and showery on Saturday night, some showers wintry in parts of the north and northwest, some of sleet or wet snow possible in places. Strong westerly windy with some severe gusts in parts of Ulster and Connacht for a time. Overnight lows of 0 to 3 degrees with frost, mostly in sheltered areas

Snow and storms....what more could you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

windy enough here during the early hours. notice debris (Bins) scattered over the place and next doors satellite dish hanging off its mount. So am I right in saying, there is another more severe blast coming later today or was that it?

worst of it will be late afternoon/evening
    precursor u experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Last 16 hours of wind speed tendency recorded by my weather station:

234124.png

And data:

Current data for co.Mayo, co.Roscommon border PWS
    28 Dec 2012 08:33:39

Temperature (°C):
    Current 10,0
    Trend (per hour) 0
    Average today 8,6
    Wind chill 5,8
    Heat Index 10,0
    Dew Point 9,9
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 55,1 S
    Average Speed 42,8 S

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,0
    Total today 0,0
    Total yesterday 0,3
    Total this month 34,5
    Total this year 677,1

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 976,9
    Trend (per hour) -0,4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

French fishing vessel currently off the Mayo coast making a southerly course at 9knts. If she isn't intending making port I'd speculate she is trying to get South of the weather forecast for today, but at 9knts her autopilot will be working hard to steer the course with the wind abeam her starboard quarter.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Last 16 hours of wind speed tendency recorded by my weather station:

Unfortunately you chopped off the x axis from the graph :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's for tendency only, but here's full one...

234125.png

Gust of close to 90 km/h recorded at Belmullet at 9am. It should keep getting stronger there before peaking in around 9-10 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The wind down here in Cork is howling since I got up. Roches Point recorded a gust of 61km/h, so while not as bad as the north west.

It has been a while since I have heard south-westerly wind sound like this, and we are a few hours away from the main event. So will be interesting to see how this develops.

The system is not much to look at yet on Satellite.

All calm here, not a puff of wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Spindle wrote: »
    The wind down here in Cork is howling since I got up. Roches Point recorded a gust of 61km/h, so while not as bad as the north west.
    hardly any wind in sw donegal yet (gust 31kts) according to finner

also no weather warnings for NI on the uk met office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Large branches swaying slightly. Lovely and mild here in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

lads is everywhere to be effected by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Windy in West Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

irish1967 wrote: »
    Large branches swaying slightly. Lovely and mild here in Donegal Town.

that's nice for a change :D

wind howling here in cork, although i expect this is the "calm" before the actual storm

Met Eireann have a new warning out that lists counties, so now everyone can see what to expect, when and where :

Weather Warning

Issued at 28 December 2012 - 10:20 Weather warning update

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry: Strong to gale force southerly winds will gust 110 to 130 km/h today and for a time tonight. Valid: 28 Dec 2012 - 15:00 to 28 Dec 2012 - 23:00

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford: Strong to gale force southerly winds will gust 90 to 115 km/h today. Valid: 28 Dec 2012 - 12:00 to 28 Dec 2012 - 21:00

Variable breeze here in West Munster, misty grey day but relatively warm.

Nice detailed warning by Met Eireann.

103 users currently on the weather forum, be interesting to see that number climb as the winds increase :)

No red warning now for Connacht though
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

viewimage-60_zpsd45a4fde.png

Pangea wrote: »
    No red warning now for Connacht though
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Probably because they reduced the max gusts by 10 km/h.

What a pretty picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

On a side note, potential for some snowfall tomorrow evening in the West and South. Nothing much, but under the present situation seeing any white stuff is nigh a miracle!

Wind looks damaging today, howling here all ready in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why are winds stronger at nighttime ? or are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

fryup wrote: »
    why are winds stronger at nighttime ? or are they?

My own observations don't support this theory, I've most of my highest recorded winds during daytime.

However, there certainly seem to be more storms that roll in and out during the hours of darkness.

Whilst darkness can be a factor in some phenomena, I don't think it significant to these systems that just roll over everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Very strong winds here in Belmullet all morning with some big gusts. I've seen worse here but if does pick up later then it will be interesting.

Forget about Ireland, check out Iceland tomorrow. :P

12122912_2806.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Guess that is why Iceland has a small population, blizzards in hurricane force winds, putting the ice into Iceland.

The wind has really picked up here in Cork City now. Some large gusts and the sustained wind speed seems to be up. Will be interesting to see the 14:00 weather station report.

Also should start seeing an increase in what we have now as well from 15:00 on words.

Forget about Ireland, check out Iceland tomorrow. :P

12122912_2806.gif

Don't forget the Faroes, it is somewhere in that mess as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Nice visiual map of the buoys around Ireland. So people can see where the highest winds and gust are.

marinemap11.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Courtesy of Met Eireann web site.

And a link to buoy reports.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Kippure wrote: »
    Nice visiual map of the buoys around Ireland]

That's on the Met Eireann site already. {???}

Spare a thought for the crew inboard the M.V. Atlantic Wind, approx 100 miles West of the Shannon estuary.

Buoy M6 reporting 6.9mtr high waves! But the buoy is approx twice the distance off shore and further north than the research vessel.

Doesn't seem too bad at 2pm. As expected, Belmullet with the strongest winds so far, just above gale force. Still another 4-5 hours until the peak winds should be recorded there. The wind warning for the west is for 3pm to 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

ITS GETTING EXTREMELY WINDY HERE NOW ON THE WEST COAST.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement