Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

europa11 wrote: »
    Reports of El Prat's departure it seems are sadly premature......Trish mentioned he'll be back to allleviate the budget blues tomorrow :( probably with a backlog of "Hugo's" letters to the editor ready to impose upon us among other Whelan-style 'delights'.

Was hoping against hope there for a Marty-free week but three mornings in Trishs' company is welcome compensation :)

Back today. Switched off as soon as he opened his mouth and the inanities that he had been storing since friday made a break for it.

What gets me is that Trish Taylor who is a far better presenter on Lyric than Marty will ever be is treated as his understudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Bad and all as the budget was, the return of this woeful g0bsh1te forces us to flit between the "royal" pregnancy and the cuts to the Ahern/McCreevy bloat. It's back to the Mongolian throat singers CD for me today, until Niall takes up the cudgel at 10:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Had to put up with him for a while this morning, as the aprés-budget whinefests everywhere else were proving such a perfect compliment to the weather.

His observation after playing chopin's 'Minute Waltz' - he timed it and seemed genuinely surprised it went on for a minute and forty or so seconds! Surely someone allegedly working in a Classical music station would have known that the composer never intended it to be played in sixty seconds but as a "small waltz" as in minute (with accent on second syllable). But why let that stop him spoofing!

I had to double check on teletext to see if Ennio Morricone had passed to his eternal reward overnight. In the brief enough period I listened to this mornings' show, I must have heard at least four compositions by him. Much as I like Morricone's work, a bit of variety wouldn't go astray particularly given the wide and strange scope of music Marty seems to think appropriately "classic" for his programme - I'm assuming there isn't a producer present in studio or that El Prat is going through a spaghetti western period. Maybe the 'tache is giving him notions.

Finally, to listen to him pretending to have been hit as hard anyone by the budget...is this an RTE trait? It's bad enough listening to €400k p.a. Joe Duffy bemoaning his bad fortune at the cut in the 'chisslers' allowance, but what the hell does someone who is making a nice little earner from doing terrible Wogan impressions and coming up with one on air inanity after the other have to complain about?

europa11 wrote: »
    His observation after playing chopin's 'Minute Waltz' - he timed it and seemed genuinely surprised it went on for a minute and forty or so seconds!

Maybe he forgets the last time he tried the same gag, or the time before, or was it the one before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I listened to Marty this morning and himself he was perfect for post-election blues. He played Dave Brubeck in Take 5 and that song by Irving Berlin.

BUT, BUT - I have been told that Neven Maguire probably gets paid for the recipes he calls out on a Friday. I hear they must record 3 or 4 of them in a set, but even so. I can't think how this fits in with a music programme. And if it does fits in, maybe Neven should be paying us for the huge load of publicity he gets out of it, not the other way around. He is OK, but he's not much better than that. Actually I find him hard to stomach myself but that is probably just my own taste.

Sorry if he does it for nothing. BUT it does not belong on radio. They don't even let other chefs get a Look In, which is strange.

Just give us Marty and music and weather and news, but cut the recipes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I listened to Marty this morning and himself he was perfect for post-election blues.

Which election was that?

Sorry, I should have said "post-budget blues'. Marty was helping us over our post-budget blues this morning. Sorry again if I was confusing. And now it's late and I have to get up early. I will be checking if there is an advertisement for Neven Maguire tomorrow - it's so sad really if they do that, because in every otehr way Marty is what we want. I think I might complain to the RTE Authorities if it gets too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Sadly, he's just gone for the week. I listened to some of Trish this morning and she did play "That's Amore" so she's obviously reading from the Marty play book but I will tune in for the rest of the week.

Track Name: That's Amore
    Composer: Warren/Brooks
    Soloist: Daniel O'Donnell (vocals)
    Album Title: Songs from the Movies and More
    Record Label: Rosette Records
    Record Catalogue Number: roscd2600
    Duration: 03:03

Lyric is a joke station. It's not Marty Whelan's fault, one can hardly blame him for accepting a job offer. Unfortunately management in RTE have no faith in the general public. I listen to BBC 3 now, they have some excellent programmes available on their website. Discovering Music is really brilliant.

Neven Maguire this morning. I presume this isn't a joke, or the joke is on the listener!

How to roast a turkey - buy your turkey & get foil. Put it in the over with thyme. Stick some butter under the skin and put rashers around it. Serve with cranberry & orange sauce. (His family love that, but you could over eat at Christmas!)

THAT was what it amounted to!

Who needs to know that? Who doesn't know that already? Is he being paid for this rubbish, or is he paying RTE for the publicity for MacNeans Restaurant? Every blessed Friday morning!

And WHAT is this rubbish doing on a music programme on Lyric? They either think we are fools or they have gone mad in there! It is a "Thundering Disgrace!" Bring this nonsene to an end!

Don't want to hog this as a starter, but ... did my ears deceive me this morning? He had Vladimir the former busking fiddler in studio YET AGAIN, and I think he said that they should make an opening for him as a violinist in the Symphony Orchestra! (Sorry if I heard that wrong.)

But why is Vladimir getting so much airtime anyway? Has he some professional or commercial relationship with Marty Whelan? There have to be other musicians out there who could do with a bit of publicity. He doesn't even sound like typical Lyric FM programme material, to say the least of it.

• Advertisement

Don't want to hog this as a starter, but ... did my ears deceive me this morning? He had Vladimir the former busking fiddler in studio YET AGAIN, and I think he said that they should make an opening for him as a violinist in the Symphony Orchestra! (Sorry if I heard that wrong.)

But why is Vladimir getting so much airtime anyway? Has he some professional or commercial relationship with Marty Whelan? There have to be other musicians out there who could do with a bit of publicity. He doesn't even sound like typical Lyric FM programme material, to say the least of it.

Maybe that's why Marty has him on. They've a lot in common.

Yet another example of how one-dimensional Whelan is, his 'guest list' is as predictable and repetitive as his musical choice, or indeed, those strange 'Hugo' letters where "My Dear Marty" is constantly mentioned throughout.......I wonder does he actually post them into the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love the way you guys refer to him as El Prat, I've incorporated the phrase into my radio vocabulary. I'll never have to type his name again. :pac:

At it again this morning! Marty Whelan was plugging Vladimir in the Olympia on Wednesday like there was no tomorrow. I'm sure Vladimir is a nice chap, well deserving of success, but I have to ask, is there nobody else out there in need of publicity coming up to Christmas? Dublin is coming down with real classical music concerts etc. For those who want to judge what V. does, this is the link. http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=5775268&ar=vladimir

At it again this morning! Marty Whelan was plugging Vladimir in the Olympia on Wednesday like there was no tomorrow. I'm sure Vladimir is a nice chap, well deserving of success, but I have to ask, is there nobody else out there in need of publicity coming up to Christmas? Dublin is coming down with real classical music concerts etc. For those who want to judge what V. does, this is the link. http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=5775268&ar=vladimir

I would have thought that Andre Rieu would have been more El Prat's style! Brash, arrogant, showmanship instead of musicality. But I guess if he introduces people to the genre, they might listen to Strauss.

Richard Strauss. :cool:

He is at it yet again. Marty Whelan revealed this rmoning he launched Neven Maguire's cookery book. He went on and on about the book, when he wasn't advertising MacNeans' Restaurant. It's still going on while I write. I have no words left to express my shock and disgust at this highy inappropriate abuse of RTE radio. Does anybody care about this?

He is at it yet again. Marty Whelan revealed this rmoning he launched Neven Maguire's cookery book. He went on and on about the book, when he wasn't advertising MacNeans' Restaurant. It's still going on while I write. I have no words left to express my shock and disgust at this highy inappropriate abuse of RTE radio. Does anybody care about this?

Not in the Land of Plugfest that is RTE they don't.

Practically every show has its favourite businesses to plug, some establishments can go right across the board as Montrose luvvies. For instance, a passing Martian whose dial was permanently stuck to RTE stations would have no doubt whatsoever that the only tailor in Dublin - nay Ireland - is Louis Copeland.

As for favourite "celebrity chefs", only difference there is that the more *ahem* well-paid presenters all seem to have a selected one put away in their cupboards :rolleyes: .

So much free advertising all round........thank goodness for the TV Licence payers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If you don't mind me saying you seem to have an obsession with Mr Maguire.

I just heard El Prat's saturday equivalent praising himself for his choice of lollipops. Maybe he knows something about sport, because it would be far better if he stuck to it.

I never listen to him. Too busy on the swimming and ballet run. And I don't have any obsession with Neven Maguire, as somebody said. I think he is probably a nice lad and a fine chef. Just as Marty Whelan is a fine and able broadcaster. My problem is the mixture of the two of them every week doing something that is completely irrelevant to music radio on a classical station. It makes no sense to me at all. None whatever. Good luck to the two of them, I say. But I do wonder why no other chef gets a look-in, if this is suitable material for a classical music programme. Good as he is, there are dozens of chefs and cookery writers who could do with a bit of publicity. I could even take it every Friday if we have a bit of variety in the "guest". As it stands there is something not quite right about it. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I wake up to him every morning, great for getting me out of the bed in a flash :p

I do have Lyric on in the morning as I find I'm increasingly unable to listen to any of the other stations, even Marty Whelan in the morning isn't enough to make me turn the dial to somewhere else.

• Advertisement

That's as good a reason as any to listen to him. Now next Monday he's going to have The Priests in "live" in the studio and that makes sense for 'Christmas Eve' and for a music programme. They are his recommends CD this week. (And see -- I didn't mention Neven Maguire once!!!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

I do. I can't take more than 5 minutes of Marty's hot air any morning. Friday after nine a.m. is the absolute nadir.
    ..... Just as Marty Whelan is a fine and able broadcaster. .....

Ah, I would beg to differ;) Marty Whelan is a demented windbag at best, clinically insane and a menace to society at worst. He is so unprofessional and self-indulgent it is stunning. I wonder what an American or a European, who hasn't been brainwashed by RTE propaganda into believing that Marty is a celebrity who has his job on merit, would make of his antics on the radio.
    That's as good a reason as any to listen to him. Now next Monday he's going to have The Priests in "live" in the studio and that makes sense for 'Christmas Eve' and for a music programme. They are his recommends CD this week. (And see -- I didn't mention Neven Maguire once!!!) :)

Sounds like great craic. Unfortunately I will be too busy beating my head with a hammer that morning to listen to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

In fairness to EL Prat all he is capable of is a third rate magazine show (not good enough for even 2fm) peppered with vacuous comments. He is not doing anything that RTE management should not have anticipated. Its their fault more than his really.

Basically Lyric FM is off the air from 7-10 every weekday morning. Pity because they have some really good presenters and no doubt a few more who could do a really good job if given the chance.

Maybe next year. Happy christmas to the dissenters and the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Imagine joining Boards.ie for the single reason of posting on just one thread to big up Marty Whelan. Why would someone do that ?

I think someone was commenting on me. I sent a mail to this boards because I wanted to find somewhere I could put up my opinion on one issue with Marty Whelan's new radio show on Lyric. I could have gone on "Twitter" but I'm glad I didn't because of how horrible they can be to some people. I hoped I might find some people who agree with me here so that RTE management would take heed of the listeners but I found there wasn't much support for my view. Most people here said nothing and one or two made snippy remarks about me myself for this. I still think the 15-minutes ad for Neven Maguire, for his restaurant MacNeans and for his book (and his wife and the twins), are not appropriate for a music programme every Friday - but yesterday evening Lorcan Murphy was giving out a receipe for biscuits on the radio at 5.30 or so, so maybe I'm the one who is off the wall on this one. I am sorry that some people took offence that I broke into a private party here but I made the wrong call that this was some kind of open forum for debating. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

.... I still think the 15-minutes ad for Neven Maguire, for his restaurant MacNeans and for his book (and his wife and the twins), are not appropriate for a music programme every Friday - .....

Its a total disgrace. If it was a different "celebrity" chef every week, then there might be some defence for it. Also, someone pointed out earlier on that Marty and Nevin are managed by the same "talent" agency. And if you don't pay you licence fee to support this utter nonsense, you will get locked up. Lyric is a no go for me between 7-10 on weekdays, which is a pity, because I need classical music at that time. When Trish Taylor or Carl Corcoran sits in for Marty, it shows what a joke he is as a presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Imagine joining Boards.ie for the single reason of posting on just one thread to big up Marty Whelan. Why would someone do that ?

It's not the first time that it has happened on this thread. HugoBradyBrown posted exclusively here for a number of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

It's not the first time that it has happened on this thread. HugoBradyBrown posted exclusively here for a number of months.

Thats because he's the fella that writes those dreadful letters every morning.

Anybody ever wonder how much he gets paid from the Licence Fee to do them?
    Same with Nevin. Does money change hands as well as the plugging of the book?
    Anyone know how to make a Freedom of Information request?

He was on again today. Was it for fear he would lose a fee on Friday when Marty Whelan will be away! If you didn't hear it you actually won't believe what happened at ten past nine or so. Marty Whelan actually started off by encouraging the RTE listenership to go out and buy Neven Magruire's book. He did this openly and strongly. Before it sells out, says he. Big joke back then from Neven Maguire about - Marty, don't do that!, but he was lapping it up obviously. And when this sickening thing was finished there was this crawling before Neven Maguire as if he was something like Heston Blumental or someone and not a chef in a small restaurant up in Cavan that nobody can afford to go to. I turned off once he got started into his ten tips for Christmas cooking. Use tinfoil was one of them. God its easy money.

Why does Marty Whelan lower himself to this? Nobody forces him because Trish Tailor doesn't do this. I get either sick or embarrassed listening to it. He can be a really fine broadcaster if he isn't at this - like joking with the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Haven't read through the thread but I listen to Marty every morning going to work in the car.

I really like his style - his taste in music is terrible but I really get a positive start to the day listening to him.

What else is there at that time of the day? Coke fuelled mouthpieces, gift-grub-style morons and hoity toity pro-establishment w@nkers?

I love Marty in the Morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement