Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxhunter Pub Closed by Revenue ?

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Just heard this evening that Revenue were in the Foxhunter & apparently its being closed ?

Anyone else hear this ?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Seemed to be all locked up yesterday when passing it. Wouldn't surprise me. Doing little or no business lately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Interesting.
    The people who had been running it didn't own the place AFAIK but had some sort of lease. Think the bank were the owners after it had been seized from the previous owners.
    Must have had issues keeping up with payments. They appeared to have quite a few staff but the car park was always deserted.
    Can't really see much future for a pub or restaurant there to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Eric The Great

The Foxhunter was sold by the Towey family, current owners of ARC among other public houses, to a well known property developer for a significant sum of money in October 2007. Suffice to say that this well known developer subsequently hit the wall in the property crash and most if not all of his "assets" currently reside in NAMA. The Foxhunter being one of them. The current Manager, is the second to lease the Pub since the Toweys left and the first one to actually deal with NAMA.

The word on the street is that Revenue entered the premises on Wednesday morning with a closure order and gave the staff one hour to leave the premises.

The Revenue department do not usually act out of hand like this, so you would have to assume that there has been a bit of previous between them and the lease holder, most likely related to non payment of VAT and or PAYE.

The "Fox" is a long standing and popular hostelry in this part of Lucan although it has fallen on harder times of late, mostly due to it's location. The
    erection of safety barriers along the N4 outside, though badly needed from a safety point of view have certainly not helped as the Pub has traditionally benefitted from a passing trade of motorists heading to all points West.

I reside in locally and sincerely hope that someone of substance comes along and re-opens the Pub as a going concern for the local area.

The outgoing Manager, it has to be said did little or nothing to attract a crowd to the shop, closing Tailor Quigleys late bar and generally discouraging any kind of initiatives offered up by both staff an locals alike.

Let's hope that this is not the end of another piece of old Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

The Foxhunter was sold by the Towey family, current owners of ARC among other public houses, to a well known property developer for a significant sum of money in October 2007. Suffice to say that this well known developer subsequently hit the wall in the property crash and most if not all of his "assets" currently reside in NAMA. The Foxhunter being one of them. The current Manager, is the second to lease the Pub since the Toweys left and the first one to actually deal with NAMA.

The word on the street is that Revenue entered the premises on Wednesday morning with a closure order and gave the staff one hour to leave the premises.

The Revenue department do not usually act out of hand like this, so you would have to assume that there has been a bit of previous between them and the lease holder, most likely related to non payment of VAT and or PAYE.

The "Fox" is a long standing and popular hostelry in this part of Lucan although it has fallen on harder times of late, mostly due to it's location. The
    erection of safety barriers along the N4 outside, though badly needed from a safety point of view have certainly not helped as the Pub has traditionally benefitted from a passing trade of motorists heading to all points West.

I reside in locally and sincerely hope that someone of substance comes along and re-opens the Pub as a going concern for the local area.

The outgoing Manager, it has to be said did little or nothing to attract a crowd to the shop, closing Tailor Quigleys late bar and generally discouraging any kind of initiatives offered up by both staff an locals alike.

Thanks very much for that detailed insight.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I remember i went in there on the morning of Ryder cup in Ireland, no safety barriers there then. The place was empty so knew its future was going to be bleak. Over the last 5 years it wasnt even attractive for food.

So much more could of been done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I was only in it the once, seemed like a daycent pub .....re; the barriers: can you not access it easy of the m50 now ?

There is an access point just below the pedestrian bridge to the east of the pub and garage on the N4, problem is if you don't know exactly where it is you are soon sailing by both on the outside of the barriers.

A lot of people travelling west will simply continue on to the next hostelry down the motorway rather than try and find a way in..................totally understandable. Prior to the erection of the barriers and especially in the summer a lot of people on their way home from Croke park would have used the Fox as a stopping off point before hitting the road in earnest. This was once a big source of revenue to the pub.

I'm not suggesting that the safety barriers are a major cause of the pubs demise, however when included with a bunch of other issues such as people abandoning pubs in general to drink at home, location (getting to and from), stricter drink driving legislation enforcement etc etc, it seems that this pub is going the way of many more across the country.

If I was a betting man my money would be firmly on a neighbouring pub, the Deadmans Inn to be the next one to hit the skids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The barriers should only have had an impact on even irregular passing trade for a while. Its not like there are any other choices on the N4 until the motorway service area.

However, the location is definitely poor for any local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

It never made me feel welcome when i moved to the area 18years ago and on many visits since then nothing has changed my mind of it as a 'original locals only clique pub'

May it stew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

It never made me feel welcome when i moved to the area 18years ago and on many visits since then nothing has changed my mind of it as a 'original locals only clique pub'

May it stew

Didn't even realise the fox had locals- its always been known as a pub with little or no atmosphere and not much attempts by management to improve that. One reason why people didn't drink there, its not just its location.

sad for the staff , any time I got food there they were always friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I used to pop in the odd time for food and a couple of pints as it's only a 5/6 minute walk from my house. Food was always great and pints decent enough but little atmosphere in the bar.

It also garnered a bit of a reputation for trouble. Some may have just been urban legend but i certainly arrived in one sunday afternoon to find shattered glass and boarded up doors and was told of a melee the previous evening.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I used to pop in the odd time for food and a couple of pints as it's only a 5/6 minute walk from my house. Food was always great and pints decent enough but little atmosphere in the bar.

It also garnered a bit of a reputation for trouble. Some may have just been urban legend but i certainly arrived in one sunday afternoon to find shattered glass and boarded up doors and was told of a melee the previous evening.

True, tended to attract people who were barred from everwhere else

Yo Hank......just read both of your posts on the Fox Hunter and feel a reply is necessary to give the opinion of a bona fide "Local" , yes, that's "local", you aren't seeing things.

Firstly, I have been a regular in the Fox for going on sixteen years. Under the Toweys and back before the nationwide slump, this was one of the best Pubs around...for Beer, food, music, craic, sports viewing etc etc.

After 2007 it was run by an agency for a couple of years, whose sole aim it was to make money. it was during this period that the pub got a rep for trouble when they put on a disco every weekend which attracted a lot of undesirables from a 5 mile radius, probably the same scum who are now living it up in the over 30s club in the Deadmans.

Once the last lease holder took over three years ago he made a point of removing these people from the pub and bar the odd row, which can happen anywhere it has been fairly quiet during his tenure.

So, there's two myths put to bed......1) The Fox does have Locals and 2) It is not a sanctuary for people who don't get served elsewhere.

On the point that you weren't made welcome on your visits....what would you have liked....a marching band perhaps.....maybe some bunting, flags or whatever. You called the place a clique, did it ever occur to you that just maybe it was down to yourself:confused:.....

I don't know if you are Irish or not......it shouldn't matter, but it does because the majority of Irish men entering a new pub for the first time wont wait around to be welcomed by the locals, they will get involved over a period of time until they become a local themselves.....

All points taken on board Eric

In fairness i haven't been there in a few years, so a lot of what you say is quite possible.

On your point about been made to feel welcome i can tell you i have tried to drink there on more than a dozen occasions and everytime bar none was the same.
    Unfriendly bar staff,customers looking at you as if to say'that's my seat',no atmosphere and that was when i went with Mrs S and some neighbours. When i went with a local football team we were asked to quite down because we were talking and laughing to loud on a saturday afternoon when there were not many people there :eek:

I do understand things may have changed over the last couple of years and perhaps i was a bit harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Reading an article from a local newspaper and in it the local TD said there was always a Public house where the foxhunter is/was,He said that's going back 40 years.I cant remember any other Pub there before the Foxhunter can anyone enlighten me ?

The pub was known as Ma Langans prior to the Towey family taking over in 1984 /1985 and had been on the site for a long, long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My mother is 70 and says Ma Langan's was there for her whole life.

Any photos ? Thanks

and happy christmas and New year to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭mobby

mobby wrote: »

Sorry mobby cant find it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

What mobby was pointing out was that the last picture in this post is the Foxhunter/Texaco in 1977.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81598218&postcount=256

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Younger readers must be scratching their heads looking at that pic as the area bears no resemblance to how it looks today. I vaguely remember it as a kid,fantastic photo it has to be said.

Looking at it I vaguely remember that myself,Great photo indeed, Thanks mobby.

Heard over the weekend that the towey,s bought the foxhunter back ???

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

realies wrote: »
    Heard over the weekend that the towey,s bought the foxhunter back ???

They are just leasing it I am led to believe

To be honest this rumor has been doing the rounds for a long time now. I haven't heard anything new, though I have to admit to leading a bit of a nomadic existence (Bar wise) since the closure back in November.

Rumors I have heard so far:

1: Large british chain, possibly Whitbreads, taking over :(.
    2: Ken Doherty (Snooker) taking over in March :rolleyes:.
    3: Toweys buying the place back :D.
    4: Interest shown by an Asian investor (to include Markets / Mosque / shops etc etc), possibly to cater to the growing Asian population in the area :mad:.

All only rumors though, absolutely nothing concrete on the grape vine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I like the idea of markets and shops, particularly if they sell Asian wares.
    Can't see too much of an issue with a mosque so long as it's not festooned with minarets blaring out prayers several times a day.
    If it's done like the Esker House development, you wouldn't be any the wiser.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't see a British chain being interested in entering the market here - particularly not Whitbread as they don't actually run standalone pubs anymore! Completely different market, no tied houses anywhere anymore for starters.

Four or five weeks back I popped into ARC at Liffey Valley SC for a couple of pints. While there I had an interesting conversation with a senior member of the Bar staff regarding the situation at the Foxhunter.

This guy who previously worked in the Fox, related that it was known within the trade that a deal had been struck with a british company, based up around Newcastle (Co Durham) to take over the running of approximately 34 distressed pubs in Ireland, the Foxhunter being one of them.

The word at that time was that the Fox would re-open for business within 6 or 7 weeks, more or less in time for Paddys day.

I am saddened to report that there has been zero movement in or around the Fox in the interim, save for the dumping of rubbish of household and possibly more sinister origins.

The other major sources of movement in the car park are the usual, Gardai munching on donuts and people using the space for park and ride, of both kinds :D.

At this point I am becoming more or less convinced that the Fox will go the way of the Salmon Leap, It has become a blot on the landscape as there is no single body taking any kind of responsibility for the site.

Rubbish is beginng to stack up, particularly along the drive leading onto the N4 off ramp at Woodies Bridge.

There have also been some reports recently of anti social behaviour in the area, when the Gardai have gone off shift, I presume...a cursory look over the wall will show the evidence in the form of discarded bottles, cans, flagons etc.

I try to go past on a regular basis to watch for any signs of life or progress of any kind and will publish any such news as I find it.......However for the moment it all looks as dead as the proverbial dodo icon9.png.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

well i think we are guaranteed its not gonna be open for paddys weekend:(

im really getting sick at places closing down and being let turn into dumps.

i suppose some bank owns it now?

Advertisement