Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Had a weird one myself, when I was about eleven, and we were brought up from Sligo to Dublin to see Aladdin On Ice in The Point (as it was known then!)

We were all given name badges, as we had a couple of parent volunteers along with us, who wouldn't have known all of our names.

I remember walking up along O'Connell St, right at the place where the spire would be now. Myself and another girl in the class were dawdling well along behind the others. And a man came up and said to me (looking at my name badge), "*name*, I'm a friend of your dad's, he said for you to come visit me because I live near here, and he'll be there too. Come on."

The other girl ran up ahead, leaving me with him (she assumed that I knew the guy.) But I was put off by the fact that I'd never seen him before, and also because I knew for definite that my dad wasn't going to be in Dublin that day.

So I just left him and ran up to the teacher, told her about it. Also told my parents when I got home.

I don't think anything was ever done about it.

Scary to think, what if I'd gone with him. Who knows, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I see dead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

One night during last years heavy floods, my apartment was burst into by the guards very late at night, looking for 'a woman in distress'. The following day I heard about the death of a foreign nurse in her flooded basement that night, knew the cops had got to her too late etc. Happened to be walking down the road where she lived days later & saw a house with bouquets of flowers outside. Looked at door-same number as mine. Looked at basement door-same number as mine but followed by an 'A'. Then it dawned on me that our road names were very similar. Coincidence? Maybe. I got such a chill though & felt very, very sad at the possibilty they had taken her address. wrong & come to mine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

A girl from Dublin is with her family on holidays in the midlands (during the late 70's). She is walking with her mum on the main street, they go into a shop and suddenly the people and the decor change to early 1900's.

Everything changes, and when she comes out of the shop the rest of the town from her vantage point is 1900's. She does not remember how long it stayed like that, but still remembers the occurence 30 years later with fear.

This happened to someone I know.

Any idea's?

Just Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

]
    AulBiddy wrote: »
    Not necessarily scary, just odd, freaked me out for days.

On the 1st of October this year my Grandfather died. Most of his belongings were kept in the hospital room where he died and it took us about a full day to clear it out. We picked up all his shirts and ties, his hygiene items etc.

We had come to the last drawer where he kept most of his jewelry. He had left his rosary beads on top of one of his favourite watches. We turned over the watch, the time was stopped at 11:55 (around the time that he died) and the date inside the watch was stopped on the 1st (but the month wasn't correct).

It's a custom in many parts of the country that people stop clocks and watches in houses where someone died and turn them back to the time that they died at. You go into the house and you don't have to ask, you look at the clock.

When my mother died in hospital one of the nurses did this much later, I remember sitting beside her body after she died and the only sound in the room was her watch ticking, it was well after 11.00 pm , she had died around 8.00, when her body came back from the undertakers to the house, the watch had been changed to 8.00.

About the knocking on the window, it's very often a bird, they see the reflection of the moon or other light on a window pane and start to peck at it trying to pick it up, used to freak me out until my grandad showed me one night what was happening. A strong beaked bird like a crow can hit a pane with a lot of force, louder than someone knocking on it. (Hope this helps!)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

went to carlow once,frightened the life out me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Shinaynay wrote: »
    One night during last years heavy floods, my apartment was burst into by the guards very late at night, looking for 'a woman in distress'. The following day I heard about the death of a foreign nurse in her flooded basement that night, knew the cops had got to her too late etc. Happened to be walking down the road where she lived days later & saw a house with bouquets of flowers outside. Looked at door-same number as mine. Looked at basement door-same number as mine but followed by an 'A'. Then it dawned on me that our road names were very similar. Coincidence? Maybe. I got such a chill though & felt very, very sad at the possibilty they had taken her address. wrong & come to mine

was that the poor philipino girl in harolds cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So there I was, in my sitting room watching the television. My window has no curtians, so it can see out of the window. But then I saw this figure at the window out of the corner of my eye. I jumped back. It was the ****ing cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis my friend. Look it up. The sense of dread, tight & knotted body, feeling of being watched by a malevolent being/superbeing are all pointers.

That happens to my mate, he reckons it happens about once every 2 months at this stage. He knows what it is, but said even still its the most horrible creepy feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

GKidd wrote: »
    Just Athlone

apparently there is a street in liverpool where people experience time slips

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

yes.
    as a student i once rented a flat with a friend in Dublin 2.
    the place seemed nice enough, but we never could make it cosy or warm.
    the rent was fair, the location excellent, and the landlord seemed a decent bloke, so i was happy.

one night i awoke for no apparent reason. i still cannot explain it fully but i felt that there was somebody/something in the room standing over me and looking down on me. i was totally frozen with fear. i remained in the same position for over 6 hours, until daylight came. i didn't as much as blink out of fear. i never knew what frozen with fear really meant until this night.
    my friend knocked on the door as he often did. i called out and he came in.
    i must have looked like shiite, cos his face/reaction frightened me. he asked if i was ok. i explained as best i could. we nervously laughed it off, and went off to college.

some weeks later i did a bit of research on the address, and discovered that on that exact date, the place was the scene of a double murder/assination during the War of Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

My family and quite few in North West are a bit superstitious and believe these cries came from a Banshee that warns you of a death in the family.

I was about 6 or 7 and remember waking up and hearing a cry or wail outside plus a knock on the front door, the tap of the brass knocker on the front door which was outside my window so you could clearly hear it.

Thought it was a dream because nobody else heard it but the weird thing was, an elderly woman who lived up the lane from us died that night, not family though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

apparently there is a street in liverpool where people experience time slips

back to the 80's?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Bambi wrote: »

back to the 80's?
    It's called Bold Street, someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. Google it, some people have reported/experienced time slips there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Once woke up feeling really sick, got out of bed and woke my cousin. I was in a bit of a trance but remember everything. So I got him to take my covers off the bed and strip them, then put them back together and back onto the bed. Went back to bed then and had this nightmare that had reoccurred throughout the years.

Think it was sleepwalking, or what I'm not sure. Was weird.

As for something genuinely scary- as a kid we found a dead body hanging off a tree in the woods. After a few minutes we ran to one end of the woods to find people, but found it was a dead end. For some reason we got pretty scared and ran back the other way, only to go back by the dead body, until eventually getting people. We would have been about 9.

Also once had someone ask me to get into his van to show him where an estate around the corner was. Myself and my friends just shouted paedo and laughed and walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Bambi wrote: »
    back to the 80's?
    I bet liverpool football fans wish they could go back to the 80s.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

you ****er !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

ottostreet wrote: »
    The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I would have had a heart attack there and then. It would have been over for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

Well done sir. Great telling, one of the best on here.

Faith wrote: »
    Yes please!

Ask and ye shall recieve:

This is one of the better ones - http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/lsdnz/reddit_what_is_your_creepiest_most_unnerving/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Paranormal/comments/12mbr5/so_lets_share_some_true_personal_spooky/

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/esb26/what_is_the_creepiest_scariest_most_bonechilling/

Also, not really in the same vein as the thread but a good read all the same -
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/q0sgj/what_is_a_mystery_that_creeps_you_out_the_most/

Heres a couple I picked out that I enjoyed.
    It's been awhile so it's unlikely anyone would read this except for OP, but what the hell.

I was in Taiwan one year when I was younger, and had travelled to a busy night market (these are popular gatherings that usually operate in the evening). Nearby I spotted a sign for a netcafe in a 5-6 story tall building. Thinking I'd fire off some quick emails, I walked in the dark, small entrance of the building. The building was older and hasn't been well maintained, but it's not out of the ordinary in Taiwan. The entrance just had a dark hallway that led to a small elevator.

I pressed the elevator call button and entered. The elevator was uncharacteristically new compared to the building, but I didn't think much of it. Like some Chinese buildings, there wasn't a fourth floor (it's considered bad luck since "four" sounds like "death"), so it just read 1-2-3-5-6, which was usual. I looked for the floor the netcafe was at-- 6th floor, and pressed the button. It lurched into action quietly and began the ascend. When it stopped, I figured it was my floor so I instinctively began to step out. Right before stepping out, however, the sight outside the elevator stopped me. It was pitch dark, only lit by the light in the elevator, it looked like it hasn't been occupied for decades, with some random pieces of furniture covered with white cloth or similar. It was a small building, so each floor were single occupancy, so I could see pretty much the entire floor from the elevator. Thinking I must have gotten the wrong floor, I checked the light (that indicates which floor you're on). Strangely, there was nothing, none of the indicators were on, but the floor button to the netcafe was still lit so I know I haven't gotten there yet. All this happened within a couple of seconds.

That's when I noticed a figure moving in the distance of the floor-- it was not very visible but I could make out what looks like a person dressed in some kind of gown, moving slowly towards the elevator. I was thoroughly creeped out, so I started pressing the close door button. As soon as I pressed it, the elevator light flickered off. I am this close to pissing my pants, and it's actually kind of freaking me out thinking back to it. The lights flickered back on under a second and the door closed, the elevator jolted back to life. A few moments later it opened again to the netcafe.

I am beyond relieved at this point. I walked out immediately and sat down at a computer. After gathering my wits a bit, I walked over to the cashier's desk and told them what I saw. The girl working there listened and her face turned a bit ashen, so I asked her if she heard of similar.

She told me that she's never experienced it, but some coworkers and occasional customers have brought it up-- basically, the building has 6 floors, and the fourth floor had a history. Apparently the floor used to be a hair salon of sorts, until one of the employees killed herself there for some reason. She slit her wrists over the hair wash station and died. The store continued operations despite stories of weird appearances-- when customers got their hair rinsed the water would look a little red, like the customer was bleeding, little things like that, and a couple people reported seeing someone's figure walking away in the mirror. Naturally, the business closed down a few months later.

The building owner tried to re-rent the place out, but never had any luck. Most businesses are quite superstitious, and no one wanted to rent the fourth floor after someone had died in it, even at a very cheap price. Finally, after dropping the price to nearly nothing, a stationary supplies store wanted to rent. During the renovations of the floor, however, several accidents would happen. Tools would end up in strange places, a mirror from the previous business shattered when no one was near it, and finally a worker had his hand jammed between the elevator doors when it closed on him unexpectedly. The workers refused to continue working and finally, the business left and the building owner finally gave up and shut down the floor. He then had the elevator company come in to replace the panel so that the elevator could not go to the fourth floor.

Let me repeat that-- the elevator was programmed to never go to the fourth floor. It doesn't even have a button. But for some reason, sometimes when people take the elevator, it would go to the fourth floor and the doors would open, and some, like myself, would see a figure walking around in the dark.

Once I was at home alone at night. My dad had gone to pick my brother up out of town, so I barred the door and slept on the couch to open when they came back.

This couch was in prime position to be thee center of activity, both social and paranormal. I was asleep with a chair pulled up to my head to hold my glasses, and one about hip level with a heater on it (it was winter).

During the night, something woke me up. Some, feeling, that something was at the foot of the couch. I kept my eyes shut (because I had seen the shadows of the man and my brother described him and he scared the **** outta me. Also, somehow I knew it was him, not the girl who was nice) and started praying.

I sensed him walk the length of the couch and stand where the chairs were. By this time I stopped praying and was silently freaking out about why he was so close to me.

I felt him lean over my face, really close, maybe 6-8 inches, and take a huge gasp of air for about 3 seconds. I felt my hair lift around my face and ears.

The next thing I remember is my brother climbing in the kitchen window because I didn't get up when they were knocking. I immediately told him what happened, and he went white.

About a month before, the man walked up to him while he was at the fridge and he thought the man was trying to whisper something in his ear. Once I told him, he knew the man was not whispering, he was gasping air.

These both have a supernatural theme to them, but I'm sure most agree that many of the best (creepier) stories on here are much more rooted in the everyday.

Keep 'em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Dammit, now I'm worried I'm going to have nightmares, which of course means I WILL have nightmares! :(

...and I'm really worried they're going to involve crutches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

miamee wrote: »
    It's called Bold Street, someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. Google it, some people have reported/experienced time slips there.

I read about it before, they might just be mistaken scouser's fashion sense for warp in the time-space continuum

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

I dont believe in paranormalstuff but you'r after scaring the sh1t out of me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

F*ck me, that second story in the OP could put the sh*tes up the Predator.
    Genuinely unnerving.
    Oh well..praise be to lord bacchus, i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

tbh wrote: »
    When I was 16 I went to Czechoslovakia, as it was then, to teach English for a week. Total disaster but that's for another thread. My first night there, I had to sleep in the train station in Prague. I got chatting to this American guy and we bunked down beside each other. Spent a while chatting and every so often this Czech guy who was about 18 would come over to us and try to talk to us but he'd no English and we'd no Czech so it wasn't very successful. He looked pretty grim. I fell asleep and was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of crying. The Czech lad was crouched at the end of my sleeping bag, sobbing, with this massive knife in his hand that he was kinda dragging across his wrist. In my ear I hear the American guy say "dude don't move a muscle and,don't make eye contact". I fall asleep in stressful situations and did so there and then. When I woke up the next morning, the American guy was gone without a trace and there was a big bloodstain on the end of my sleeping bag. Nothing was robbed or anything but I never saw either of them again.

So yeah, that was pretty freaky and to be honest that wasn't even the freakiest thing that happened on that trip.

If that wasn't the freakiest thing, what was?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

The worst thing about the ridiculous amount of attempted child abduction stories is the fact that there are so many people who weren't so lucky, who don't have a story to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ugh.. ffs. There'll be no sleeping for me tonight :(

Our family house is about a mile out the road from town and there are no lights for a considerable part of the walk. I remember walking home in the wee hours of the morning one time and there was some lass about 200 yards in front of me, walking in the same direction.
    Nothing scary happened to me but I felt terrible for the poor girl who, I can only imagine, would have been bricking it a little that this guy was following her (our house is the only house on that side of the road for a couple of miles). I couldn't think of anything to do to allay her fears either - couldn't overtake her, didn't particularly want to wait until she'd gone on further, decided against shouting at her that I was just going home to my house on the left.
    It would not surprise me at all to learn that she, somewhere, might have recounted the tale of some guy following her late at night in the middle of nowhere and then disappearing. If she wanted to throw in a supernatural comment, our house is just beside an old graveyard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

My younger brother and I discovered we had some kind of weird psychic ability some years ago. If we hadn't met or spoken for a while we'd meet up in odd places without prior arrangement or planning, like Boston on one occasion, London on another, the same hotel in Tralee one night, etc. We'd meet on the road driving in opposite directions; "I was just calling over to your house". "Jeepers I was just calling to yours".

Anyhoo this all died down as we got older, other than the phone calls when we each knew (without caller id) when the other was calling on a landline or mobile.

In the last year couple of years though, when indulging my passion for general knowledge quizzes on the telly (Countdown, University Challenge, MasterMind, etc) and crosswords, I began to notice an odd pattern. For a couple of weeks I'd do very well and answer most questions even the esoteric specialist subjects on MasterMind, then for the next couple of weeks I'd score very badly. I tried keeping track of my scores but couldn't make sense of the ups and downs, so I asked my brother and daughter for help.

To try to randomise the test, they'd pick a programme and record the audio on DAT with me speaking (answering the questions) in real-time with the broadcast. A couple of times I scored 65/70% on specialist topics I should have scored zero on. Suddenly my scores inexplicably dipped, they didn't even come close to average on general knowledge questions or I'd turn in only five-letter words on CountDown. On two episodes of MasterMind I did particularly badly scoring lower than ever even on questions I should have known the answers to.

My brother rang me a few weeks later saying he had discovered something extraordinary. On the programmes where I'd had very bad scores I had provided answers to questions asked on programmes broadcast two weeks later than our tests and my scores were 80%+!!

Weird or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mathepac wrote: »
    My younger brother and I discovered we had some kind of weird psychic ability some years ago. If we hadn't met or spoken for a while we'd meet up in odd places without prior arrangement or planning, like Boston on one occasion, London on another, the same hotel in Tralee one night, etc. We'd meet on the road driving in opposite directions; "I was just calling over to your house". "Jeepers I was just calling to yours".

Anyhoo this all died down as we got older, other than the phone calls when we each knew (without caller id) when the other was calling on a landline or mobile.

In the last year couple of years though, when indulging my passion for general knowledge quizzes on the telly (Countdown, University Challenge, MasterMind, etc) and crosswords, I began to notice an odd pattern. For a couple of weeks I'd do very well and answer most questions even the esoteric specialist subjects on MasterMind, then for the next couple of weeks I'd score very badly. I tried keeping track of my scores but couldn't make sense of the ups and downs, so I asked my brother and daughter for help.

To try to randomise the test, they'd pick a programme and record the audio on DAT with me speaking (answering the questions) in real-time with the broadcast. A couple of times I scored 65/70% on specialist topics I should have scored zero on. Suddenly my scores inexplicably dipped, they didn't even come close to average on general knowledge questions or I'd turn in only five-letter words on CountDown. On two episodes of MasterMind I did particularly badly scoring lower than ever even on questions I should have known the answers to.

My brother rang me a few weeks later saying he had discovered something extraordinary. On the programmes where I'd had very bad scores I had provided answers to questions asked on programmes broadcast two weeks later than our tests and my scores were 80%+!!

Weird or what?

Question: What are next week's Euromillions winning numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lying in the dark reading these & my duvet has suddenly dropped off my bed & I nearly had a HEART ATTACK.

Thanks mr Taiwan - that frightened the living daylights out of me. Off to say a few prayers :"0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Bruce7 wrote: »

Nobody knows, but I firmly believe SATAN was on the line, calling from HELL.

Hope he didn't reverse the charges. Would've cost a fortune.

Advertisement