Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking at st lukes

Options
  • 04-12-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

apparently, I have been told that a new parking regime is in force within the hospital, and are clamping any cars n ot parked in the official car park, it cost 100 euro to get unclamped and even that rises to 130 after 8pm.
    Also if you are not properly parked in the car park,i.e. over the next bay you will be clamped.
    Probably the same firm as in waterford.
    I am surprised there is very little information shown when drivin g into the hospital and that none of any wording is in "Irish" or Polish or Latvian.
    The distance of the car park from the hospital is major for old people, the only way they can avoid walking is to get someone to drop them off.
    Given there is no covered walkway to the car park, I presume in very cold weather we shall see old people struck down by hypothermia between the car park and out patients.
    Perhaps someone could arrange share a zimmer frame so that at least they can huddle together for warmth.
    Someone said they have seen old ones trying to thumb a lift from the car park, apparently to no avail.
    By the way did our Phil have to pay parking charges when he came to pose with a shovel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Park across the road in the hotel, or in the Sycamores. The walk is about the same distance as from the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ft9 wrote: »
    Park across the road in the hotel, or in the Sycamores. The walk is about the same distance as from the car park.
    Signs up in sycamores saying no hospital parking. I believe the residents go mad, understandably...dunno about hotel. Doubt they'd be too thrilled unless you're a resident! Personally feel the charges are very high for parking and I view them almost as state extortion. Cheaper to park in city centre which isn't right. How much is st Luke's? Was €3 ten years ago last time I used it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote: »
    Signs up in sycamores saying no hospital parking. I believe the residents go mad, understandably...

Certainly is, if I lived there I'd be rightly pissed with people parking and then off they go to the hospital.
    Cheaper to park in city centre which isn't right. How much is st Luke's? Was €3 ten years ago last time I used it.

4euro last I parked in it two months back, but thats for the day so it would be cheaper then parking in many places in the rest of the city for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Signs up in sycamores saying no hospital parking. I believe the residents go mad, understandably...dunno about hotel. Doubt they'd be too thrilled unless you're a resident! .....

Methinks Basil would not be too happy..... I'm recalling that episode where he beat his car with a tree branch.... :D

Could be an opportunity for the "hotel" too. There's nearly always plenty of available parking there so why not offer a reduced rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you have to go in and out a few times throughout the day you can ask at the security hut and they will give you a ticket that lasts all day to get in and out.(well they did a couple of weeks back, presumably they still do).

Main problem now, is staff park in that car park too, so all the spaces nearer to the hospital are taken by 8 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

All moneys collected leave the country

dzer2 wrote: »

How so? I'd imagine this is a HSE cash cow/stealth tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Is this another can of worms, why are the residents of the sycamores treated differently to anyone else, except perhaps castle gardens.
    Nobody cares one iowta who parks outside their house in places like st fiarces place, or around nowlan park.
    f course it is a pain in the neck to have a street lined with cars, so where do the god people of the sycamores park their cars when they go out, hopefuly never outside someone elses house.
    Having said al that the fact that the car park in st lukes may not now be able to take all the vehicles wanting to use it, where does one park without geting clamped?
    Parking on the grass is no longer an option, so back to the sycamores, is the council sign legal in that it forbids others from parking?
    I would not use the hotel, it is private after all, so what is the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Wheres the justification in paying at all, its a public hospital payed for by tax payers. Nobody really wants to be at a hospital, either patient or visitor.
    A real case of adding insult to injury.
    More money for the HSE to squander.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

If that's the case it's nothing short of a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

dooferoaks wrote: »
    If you have to go in and out a few times throughout the day you can ask at the security hut and they will give you a ticket that lasts all day to get in and out.(well they did a couple of weeks back, presumably they still do).

Main problem now, is staff park in that car park too, so all the spaces nearer to the hospital are taken by 8 in the morning.

I've done the same in the past as well, mind you the charges in Kilkenny are much cheaper then in Cork and Dublin, up to €4 an hour in Cork Regional

Bugs me in Kilkenny that the staff carpark is closer then the "customer's" car park.

I've done the same in the past as well, mind you the charges in Kilkenny are much cheaper then in Cork and Dublin, up to €4 an hour in Cork Regional

Bugs me in Kilkenny that the staff carpark is closer then the "customer's" car park.

There is no staff car park anymore, big Phil did the ceremonial shovelling for the new A and E, site of where the old staff car park was.

How so? I'd imagine this is a HSE cash cow/stealth tax?

Car park was developed by an English company and they collect the money from machines under the contract that was signed at the time think it runs for 20 years. Same as the m50 toll bridge the state never benefits from it. Its the same for most of the hospitals around the country.

Car park was developed by an English company and they collect the money from machines under the contract that was signed at the time think it runs for 20 years. Same as the m50 toll bridge the state never benefits from it. Its the same for most of the hospitals around the country.

Christ....is that defo true? What idiot would sign a contract like that? A bloody car park in fairnress, not the most expensive thing to develop ever.

Christ....is that defo true? What idiot would sign a contract like that? A bloody car park in fairnress, not the most expensive thing to develop ever.
    `

We gave away our gas and our soverignty jasus a car park is only a tiny yoke. I had a price in for the development but was over looked as there was no management company to look after it when it was finished and I had no track record of property management.

`

We gave away our gas and our soverignty jasus a car park is only a tiny yoke. I had a price in for the development but was over looked as there was no management company to look after it when it was finished and I had no track record of property management.

Yea such a pity Irish and local guys often loose out on these public tenders sometimes.

Okay guy's isn't it time to say enough is enough, anyone who signed a long term contract for an fcuking car park must be a loser. Perhaps it was the same guy who ios giving our money to the bond holders. Protest now

Thats unbelivable, the country's on its knees, the hundreds of thousands on the dole and they give the work to an English company, they must be laughing their holes off at us over there:mad:
    How much managment does a car park need FFS?
    In France they tender out everything too, then give the job to a French company.Here in Ireland we're so far up Europes arse that we're prepared to sarcrifice our own for a pat on the head.

`

And as for track records, I'd prefer to have no track record at all than the track records that most of the movers and shakers have in this country, whether they be banks, politicians, HSE or whoever, every twenty years or so they bankrupt the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Simple just dont use the car park.
    I wouldnt give them the money.
    Park at the sycamores ,James park, or the hotel.

• Advertisement

Hold yer horses for a moment, apparently your 4 euro does go to the hospital, it is the clamping money which goes out of the country, so I am told, I cannot confirm one way or the other, but the clamping firm is from the North.
    This might not sit well with some but as far as I am concerned it is the UK, it is not our country.
    as one of you said even if it was tendered we should give it to one of our own and fcuk the european ruling, isn't the new school another mishandling.
    Unless of course it is easier with brown envelopes on cross border transactions.
    I am quite happy to give the hospital 4 euro, especially when taking the old folk for an appointment.
    Hope this helps, anything after the mugging we are getting from the Dail.

Hold yer horses for a moment, apparently your 4 euro does go to the hospital, it is the clamping money which goes out of the country, so I am told, I cannot confirm one way or the other, but the clamping firm is from the North.
    This might not sit well with some but as far as I am concerned it is the UK, it is not our country.
    as one of you said even if it was tendered we should give it to one of our own and fcuk the european ruling, isn't the new school another mishandling.
    Unless of course it is easier with brown envelopes on cross border transactions.
    I am quite happy to give the hospital 4 euro, especially when taking the old folk for an appointment.
    Hope this helps, anything after the mugging we are getting from the Dail.

The parking is definitely NOT going to the hospital or the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Free parking in the Department of Psychiatry car park to the rear of the hospital. Barrier was broken by a 4x4 and the cost to replace is 3k approx. The amount of €4's lost to persons parking there for free has definitely surpassed 3k by now, so a bit of a no-brainer to replace. The clamping company allows wheelchair sticker/signs to 'set-down' in junction boxes for approx 20 mins and taxis can also avail of this. The €100 release fee is for the first 24 hours with another €100 added if left longer than this. The barrier system has its flaws, so people 'tail-gating' very closely to the vehicle in front can exit for free as the weight sensors feel the weight and allows the barrier to stay up, p.s dont blame me if this somehow fails.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I hope the parking company are employing local Kilkenny people , at least something comes back to the Irish economy .

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

I hope the parking company are employing local Kilkenny people , at least something comes back to the Irish economy .

Sorry, from Waterford I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Formosa

Also if you are not properly parked in the car park,i.e. over the next bay you will be clamped.

Well at least this is progress. It should be applied to every car park in the country, it might stop all the pig-ignorant fvckers that take up two spaces with retarded parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 first rate

Well it's a lot of money to be spending if it's not going to the hospital or at least something good, especially if you are going in regularly.

first rate wrote: »
    Well it's a lot of money to be spending if it's not going to the hospital or at least something good, especially if you are going in regularly.

If I might play Devils Advocate

devils_advocate_500_zpsf7431fc2.jpg

I suppose they would say its because they couldn't afford to pay for the car park themselves so this way they got a new car park without paying for it. There was little to no parking there prior to the new one being built. People would have complained if the hospital were seen to be spending money on tarmac instead of the healthcare side of things. Haven't bridges/toll roads etc. been built in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 first rate

I suppose they would say its because they couldn't afford to pay for the car park themselves so this way they got a new car park without paying for it. There was little to no parking there prior to the new one being built. People would have complained if the hospital were seen to be spending money on tarmac instead of the healthcare side of things. Haven't bridges/toll roads etc. been built in the same way?

Yeah possibly, if that's true then it's kind of understandable.

• Advertisement

Not true was done during the boom time paid for by the HSE:mad:

Advertisement