Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally, "Cheap" ADSL is here

• 21-03-2003 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

All the details are at www.adsl.ie

Presumably it is now available for order.

Congratulations IOFFL, and a word of thanks to UTV and all at the DCMNR for jerking Eircom into action.

(Wonder if this thread will get the same number of congratulatory posts and Vendor involvement that Adam's did when UTV launched their partial flat rate – can’t wait to see Eircom tailor the product as a result of user feedback here)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I was just speaking to eircom today.

I finally ordered ADSL after having my line tested 15 times, it finally pased.....why, now after all this time???

Anyway I saw the same page and was wondering how they could offer the starter service, which, according to their website is a better package than Solo, at half the price.

The agent I was talking to (on their sales line) told me he was only doing sales and that was a question for their Tech Support?? WTF!! Well he told me the package was not available yet, and that until approved by comreg it was illegal for them to publicise it in any way.

When I pointed out it was on their website, he told me that was eircom.net and as such a seperate company (buck passed-success!!) When I pointed out it was hosted on eircom.ie, and as such his company he stalled.....

The reason he gave for the price difference, was that the speed on the starter package would vary between 256k and 512k (didn't see that anywhere on the website)
    He told me that eircom would guarantee a connection of 512k on i-stream solo. I was impressed by this. So I asked him what the contention ratio was on i-stream solo, expecting him quite naturally to say 1:1. After he pottered off to find out what a contention ratio was, he told me it was 24:1.

Now, I am not a broadband expert by any stretch, but how on this earth can they ***guarantee*** a constat downstream of 512k?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Presumably it is now available for order.

I can't find anything on the Business section, but in the residential section it says:

"You will be able to order eircom i-stream starter from April 11th on eircom.ie."

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While it is definitely a step in the right direction, and I think we would not be here today without Ireland Offline (my hat goes off to you), the fight is definitely not over because:

-- Joe Street won't purchase ADSL if it is priced above 30-40 euros a month, inclusive of VAT, and that's according to ComReg themselves. This is 54 euros a month inclusive of VAT, and the installation fee comes to 245 euros, more if you don't want to self-install or need more than just a crappy USB modem.

245 euros installation plus 54 euros for a very low end product is still far to expensive.

-- It is still capped, though 4 GB is an improvement over what it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Not wanting to defend my arch-enemy, but maybe because they're using that uh... long-range? somethingDSL that people have been talking about, they only guarantee a 256k connection to the DSLAM, whereas with daddy istream, you have to be closer to the exchange, and they guarantee 512k to the DSLAM, although obviously the connection from there on won't necessarily be 512k.

sorry for the lack of technical termyness.

boob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

One amusing point - they haven't changed the caps on the existing i-stream products. So you can now get i-stream starter for €45 a month with a 4GB cap or else you could go for i-stream solo for €89 a month with a 3GB cap :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

eircom i-stream solo
    For a single user, on a single computer

The product has both a USB port or Ethernet option.
    Speeds are up to 512kbps downstream / 128kbps upstream.
    Connection fee is 165 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 89 excl. VAT.
    Additional equipment required; ADSL USB modem 145 exc. VAT or ADSL Ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT.
    For eircom I-stream solo the monthly allowance is 3GB**

eircom i-stream starter
    The product has both a USB or Ethernet option.
    Speeds 512Kbps downstream/128Kbps upstream*
    Connection fee is 165 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 45 excl. VAT
    Additional equipment required ADSL USB modem 120 excl. VAT or ADSL Ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT.
    The monthly download allowance is 4GB**

I doubt these two services are there for a laugh, I'd liek to see to contetnion ratio for the starter pack servive. actually i wouldn't because eircom are a shower of tossers

They're there so that they can continue billing existing users at the old rates, not to mention the nice 12 month contract... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    245 euros installation...

Hmm.. I still have the splitter from when I was on the trial (they just took the USB modem back)... I wonder if they'd still try to charge me.

Anyway, yea congrats and all that IOFFL but c'mooooooon UTV :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by James Melody
    I was just speaking to eircom today.

I finally ordered ADSL after having my line tested 15 times, it finally pased.....why, now after all this time???
    Because they are now testing to a lower specification. Previously, lines were failed if they couldn't support a 1MB connection, even if you only wanted the 512K service.

But Eircom tried to sell me up to the I-stream multi 1Mb service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

who's gonna buy this ?
    i'm crying out for dsl but i won't even consider it at that price

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

have you ever noticed the address in the status bar of your browser when you hover over a link on the €ircon website? It comes up as http://mmm instead of http://.www. What the hell is that all about?

Not a chance I am going to buy this ADSL service at that price(not that I can get it anyway). Max I would go for would be €50 a month INCLUDING line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

...is of interest too.

Eircom have loaded a mysterious unregistered database with numbers that prequalify

first get the account number off your bill and the phone number in the format 011234567

the click on

http://prequal.eircom.ie/launch.asp?SITE=BUS

and ummmmmm enter the data

-- Joe Street won't purchase ADSL if it is priced above 30-40 euros a month, inclusive of VAT,
    Joe Street UK is paying £29.99, which is €44.50
    Joe Street US is paying $39.99-$49.99, which is €38 to €47.50

(BT Openworld in the UK, Verizon and MSN in the US. Sure, you can get better deals, but this is what "Joe Street" is paying).
    the installation fee comes to 245 euros, more if you don't want to self-install or need more than just a crappy USB modem.
    Yup, that is still way too expensive. But note that that's still listed as one of their business products. I'm assuming that whatever bod in eircoms propaganda department organized last months pre-emptive press release that specifically addressed the residential market will throw a typical marketing-type hissy fit come monday morning, and a suitably rejigged "At Home" page will be hastly thrown up (the i-stream pages have to be the crappiest looking pages on the eircom websites).

I note that the ZyXel USB modem is available for as little as £60+VAT in the UK, as against Eircoms €120+VAT. Don't the idiots realize that €20 profit on the modem will cost them a lot more than that in lost supscriptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

As I understand it, the the self-install cost €99 to install. You can buy ADSL modem in dublin for about €90. So its not that expensive. The cap is the only real negative I see.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Not a chance I am going to buy this ADSL service at that price(not that I can get it anyway). Max I would go for would be €50 a month INCLUDING line rental.
    Nobody else in Europe is getting DSL for that price. (It's €63 in the UK, including line rental, and even in the US, most people are paying well above €50, if you insist on being perverse about including line rental).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Or you can get the X-Modem from adslnation in the UK for STG£69.99.

Bought one last week for a project that I was working on, and it worked straight out of the box.
    It has a USB and Ethernet connection.

They're currently testing it with broadband routers and currently only the Buffalo WBR-G54 is compatible.

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Nobody else in Europe is getting DSL for that price. (It's €63 in the UK, including line rental, and even in the US, most people are paying well above €50, if you insist on being perverse about including line rental).

You could be more perverse than usual Ardmore and go read around the Boards rather than make incorrect statements like your last one. 512k ADSL IS in Europe for under €50 including Line Rental and VAT , albeit in farsighted countries and not here in the E-Tub

If you read the "Cost of Broadband" thread on top you will note that ADSL in Sweden is available for €32.50 in a country where Line Rental is around €14 a month, not €21 like here.. It is branded istream .... for 298 Kroner .

€32.50+€14 = €46.50

Not surprisingly our Scandinavian correspondent laid into your chums in Eircom in that post about the situation here vis a vis Sweden. He could get the service in the back end of Lapland while in Ireland it has hardly appeared outside the M50

M

OOOOOHHHH!!!

I'd love an 8Mb Powerstream connection....

The 4Mb powerstream would be €82 a month (749 kroner) + €14 Line Rental which is €96 all in...for 4Mb but not very widely available in Lapland it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

IBB are offering a €48 inc. VAT service in Dublin. It is there and it is around what should be charged for broadband.

Not to mention that it is 512k 8:1 ratio.

This is the type of service I WILL accept. (Luckily enough it is coming to me in the next couple of weeks. :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

As to who is going to buy this product I'm afraid I may be one. Much and all as I would prefer to give my ill earned gains to someone else (UTV or IBB any chance of a bb link to Lucan????) I need to get in a flat rate product soon and this seems to be the only game in town :-(. The price would roughly half what I am currently paying (to Eircom) every 2 months. I know this situation doesn't match up with the average Joe Public but I'd say there are quite a few poor sods like myself who are heading towards bite the bullet time.
    This leaves me with 2 questions:
    1) is there any confirmation on the €99 self install price mentioned above or is that a best guess at the moment?
    2)Anyone know if theres even a guess as to a date for the other companies to have pricing (or in the case of IBB a mast in Lucan) out?

Eircom for at least another 12 months?????
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Marvel,
    I spoke to IBB about Lucan the other week and was told they are looking at sites for a transmitter but reckon any offering is still a couple of months off.
    Me, I'm going to hang fire for the time being and see if it happens or else see what Esat and UTV come up with.

Originally posted by Muck
    You could be more perverse than usual Ardmore and go read around the Boards rather than make incorrect statements like your last one. 512k ADSL IS in Europe for under €50 including Line Rental and VAT , albeit in farsighted countries and not here in the E-Tub
    or the UK, or the US. Nobody gets DSL without paying line rental, even in a farsighted country like Sweden.

I don't have any "chums" in eircom, but I can tell you this for nothing. If we all play the béal bocht like you and LFCFan, and refuse to go anywhere near this offering, you can be damned sure that it'll be a long time before we see any improvement in the situation. But if the offering is widley taken up, and other operators see that there is a market that they can profit from, then we will see a difference in the next 12 months, just as the UK saw a difference over the last 12 months. I'd love to pay my €54 to UTV or ESAT (and €49 would be even better if they can swing it) rather than eircom. But I'm not going to cut my own nose off just to spite my face, and turn down a service that is now available within my price window.

I would also qualify for both Wisp and IBB, but the €350 or so that installation would cost is too rich for me (and having been burnt by Formus, I have an inherent preference for wires over wireless).

Originally posted by MarVeL
    1) is there any confirmation on the €99 self install price mentioned above or is that a best guess at the moment?
    It's printed right there on www.adsl.ie (€81.81 ex VAT - it's still listed only as a "business" solution).

Thanks Ardmore eyesight must have been failing me earlier.

Now if anyone could come up with as nice an answer to my second question I would be even happier :-)

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Now if anyone could come up with as nice an answer to my second question I would be even happier :-)
    Yes, I'd like to know too - if UTV indicated that they'd have something a month or two down the road, I'd be happy to hold out, but if there aren't any hints, I'd be inclined to go ahead. I'm already in range of IBB and IrishWISP, but with installation of €380 for IBB, or €360 for IrishWISP, as against €210 (assuming I don't have to buy the modem from eircom), the wired option is a lot more attractive to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Thread should ne renamed "finally, "cheap" ADSL is there" cos it certainly aint here. I'm in Balbriggan and the options are pretty slim for BB in the next year.

I received a mail from a Georgina Mc Hale in Esat last week stating that they do not cover this area and have no intentions of upgrading any more exchanges across the country in the near future.
    Residential DSL is available in Ireland. Unfortunately it's not currently
    available in your area.
    At the moment we have no plans for to rollout any more exchanges.

If anyone knows of any providers, wireles or otherwise, I'd be happy to hear from them. I'm haqppy for the people that can avail of the current BB services but in reality it means nothing to the rest of us (majority of the country) stuck on crap dial-up connections.

As for Eircon, I'd wait an extra year before giving them a cent more than I have to. Cutting off your nose to spite your face? Fair enough, I can live with that easier than giving them feckers anything more than I'm currently forced to.

Come on UTV, do us all a favour..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Dawg.. you may allready have looked at this option...

But if your really interested in getting BB at a low cost... try getting involved with IrishWAN it may take you and a few others but if your exchange isnt upgraded, and its on eircoms long finger, it may be the easiest way of getting networking from you house to an area where the exchange has been upgraded....

just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

SO finally Eircon has got their finger out, but frankly i still think it stinks so much that i will be happy to wait and see what Utv comes up with or just about anyone else!
    If i could get IBB i would not care much about the instalation fee, it is real flatrate after all and that means a lot to me.
    If companies like WYSE just made a small effort they could help bring broadband to the masses at much lower prices because they could option for the Business solutions and share it out to whole estates.
    Anyway, there are plenty of good ideas, all i hope is that people wont be tempted to lick the Eircon "up the ass finger" and wait for some proper broadband! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I'm in D16, and BOTH my phonelines failed the 'test' on their website. Now thats not very good, is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't pay any attention to that online test. It says I can't get it and I was on the trial, worked fine.

Ring them up.

Do you work for Eircom?
    Originally posted by Ardmore
    Joe Street UK is paying £29.99, which is ?44.50
    Joe Street US is paying $39.99-$49.99, which is ?38 to ?47.50

1. Not true. Joe Street in the UK is purchasing BT Broadband for £27 per month and £30 connection (all inclusive of VAT and including a free modem).

Packages from other big name companies like Virgin begin at around £20-25, and you can get it from £12.99 if you shop around. Again, all inclusive of VAT.

2. Joe Street in that US is not paying $49.99. ADSL at that price there has turned out a complete flop, with people turning to cheaper alternatives like cable instead.

Finally, if you look at virtually any other country in Europe, ADSL did not take off until it was priced at between 30 and 40 euros a month. And that's a fact. Even ComReg have said this (that ADSL is a no-go if it's priced above 30 - 40 euros for consumers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Good news. I did not think they would deliver on this. It is still too expensive to be called "mass market" broadband going on the experience of other countries, but it is less of a rip-off than previous efforts.

Some questions remain: a) Which exchanges have been upgraded to the new RADSL standard? and b) will other companies be offering services over bitstream?

With a wholesale price of 27 euros (I think the most expensive in Europe), it is unlikely that OLOs will be queuing up to provide services. Nevertheless, it is worth holding out a short time to see what is there before signing up for a year with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Anyway, there are plenty of good ideas, all i hope is that people wont be tempeted to lick the Eircon up the ass finger and wait for some proper boradband!
    I dont normally get all pedantic and point out mispellings, but that one just changes the whole point of you sentence .. heh, licking eircoms ass ... pretty disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well, I just checked and I am still failing that online jobby on the eircom website, I'm on the Ballincollig exchange (wherever it is?) in Cork, the question is, like SkepticOne says, where can you get RADSL?, is is turned on in all Eircom DSL enabled exchanges or is it only in certain areas ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Saw the title of this thread and got excited, at last cheap ADSL, but found out it was just Eircons €54 a month, capped service,oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭aliesneo

I got adsl off eircom paying 100 quid a month or whatever it is.Ive had it about a month now. Are comreg ordering eircom to allow ppl to switch to the cheaper product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Yeah,

I think COMREG ordered Eircom to allow people to downgrade without hassle ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Well, I just checked and I am still failing that online jobby on the eircom website, I'm on the Ballincollig exchange (wherever it is?) in Cork, the question is, like SkepticOne says, where can you get RADSL?, is is turned on in all Eircom DSL enabled exchanges or is it only in certain areas ...?

I'm on Douglas exchange. I have ISDN. I am 3km approx. from the exchange, based on the route the cable folows. The cable is "modern" by Eircom standards. My line failed the test during Nov/Dec/Jan. Mysteriously it passed in Feb. After about 10 calls to Eircom, including one of the longest and angriest I have ever inflicted on anyone, I finally got an admission that the test has been updated. However which updates have actually been applied is anybody's guess. Eircom, in standard Stalinist mode, flatly refused to answer the question.

At least 3 updates were required:

1. Ability to test and pass lines which have ISDN installed
    2. Ability to pass lines which have a capibility to operate at 512k but not a 1 MB (Previously Eircom only "passed" lines which could operate at 1MB, even if the Customer only required 512K. Go figure.
    3. Ability to test and pass lines to minimum RADSL standards, whatever they are.

The first thing you should do is to find out where your exchange is and what the cable route is and the age of the cable and measure the distance. If its more than 4km, forget it, and start looking at other solutions..... e.g. Wireless. If it is around or less than 4km buy yourself lots of Wheetabix and hound the f*****s until they give in. Make their lives a complete misery. Trying to be reasonable with Eircom is a complete waste of time.

Originally posted by MDR
    Yeah,

I think COMREG ordered Eircom to allow people to downgrade without hassle ....

You got anything to substantiate this? ( I assume when you say downgrade you are talking about switching from eircom i-stream solo/multi/enhanced to eircom i-stream starter within the initial 12 month lock-in)

Originally posted by parasite
    so, where is the douglas exchange ?

Close to the COI church.

It took ages to get an answer, they cited "security" reasons for not wanting to tell me.(!!) I eventually found out on my 5th or 6th attempt when i rang 1901 and spoke to a biddy who grew up in Douglas but now works in Toipperary or somewhere. She had a brother in law who is an eircom technician and who lives/works in the douglas area. She very kindly rang him on his mobile and we had a three way conversation with her in the middle relaying the messages.

Plonkers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I finally passed yesterday bizarrely enough.

The tests were up and down for the last few days at my (and seemingly most) exchanges - so I had to presume they were up to something...

Time to order on Monday then :cool: well done IOFFL... well done everyone.

Just got a reply to a mal I sent in to UTV re DSL and it states that there are no details re DSL being released in the near future by them :-(. I'll live in hope that by this they mean in the next 2 or 3 weeks, any longer and I think it'll have to be eircom. Seeing as one of the reasons I want to get the product is I'm sick of paying money to eircom this prospect does NOT fill me with glee but financial concerns may force the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Hmm.. I still have the splitter from when I was on the trial (they just took the USB modem back)... I wonder if they'd still try to charge me.

I asked this question myself as I got a splitter with my wireless DSL router/modem that I can fit myself. But no way josé - according to my account manager in €irCon, the €99 connection will stand.

I figure that the effort to move the mouse cursor to the "Activate" button and clicking it must be very, very hard indeed. Either that, or their CEO is doing it and it costs €99 for each 30 seconds of his time - that must be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

When i checked my phone and account number a month ago on Eircon it tested fine for ADSL, but today when they have announced the RADSL it says that i am not in the right area, so no nothing even if i wanted to.
    I frankly just had it with this stoneage country, it sukx!

hmmmmmm

I wonder if Eircom have withdrawn their RADSL line test under scrutiny from Comreg. Testing lines while in a closed 21 day period up to the 10/04/03 or so would appear to contravene their obligations under the regulations regarding wholesale offerings.

It would also appear that some exchanges will be RADSL (only) equipped from the very beginning. Therefore Eircom cannot carry out the older ADSL test on lines that are hooked into them because it would be somewhat pointless. You may be on one of the more recently enabled exchanges.

They may be more circumspect about their database as well.

Eircoms useless ADSL site is heavy on marketing guff but light on hard facts as to where they will deploy in early April when they are allowed.

M

Do you work for Eircom?
    Are you related to Senator McCarthy? Anyone who doesn't see the world through your narrow blinkers must be "the enemy"?

It's none of your damn business who I work for, but, to satisfy your puerile interest, the only relationshop I have with eircom is as a customer, and a ripped-off ex-shareholder whose shares were forcibly repossessed by Valentia.
    1. Not true. Joe Street in the UK is purchasing BT Broadband for £27 per month and £30 connection (all inclusive of VAT and including a free modem).
    BT Broadband is an "access only" product - it doesn't even include an e-mail address, so it's not exactly a "Joe Street" package. "Joe Street" is purchasing BTOpenWorld at €44.50 (which is why it's the biggest DSL provider in the UK). Until January 13th, installation cost £65, almost exactly what eircom are charging. And you don't get a free modem with either of these packages.

As I made very clear in the bit that you didn't bother to quote, yes, you can get better deals than this. Just not from the 800-pound gorilla in the market, which is where "Joe Street" is buying. Freeserve and AOL are the other big players in the "Joe Street" market, and they're £27 and £28, but with higher up front costs.

None of these packages include "download allowances", but the BT and AOL ones do include a 12 month minimum contract (Freeserve don't publish their "small print").
    Packages from other big name companies like Virgin begin at around £20-25, and you can get it from £12.99 if you shop around. Again, all inclusive of VAT.
    Your point being? I said there are better deals around - but "Joe Street" is buying from BT.
    2. Joe Street in that US is not paying $49.99. ADSL at that price there has turned out a complete flop, with people turning to cheaper alternatives like cable instead.
    Did you even bother to look at the Providers I mentioned (again, the biggest players in the US market?) No, you decided to just spout off without bothering to check your facts. Verizon offer 2 deals - $29.99/month for the first 6 months, and $49.99/month after that, or $39.99 from the beginning. MSN use a variety of providers, and state that service costs $39.99-$49.99, depending on your location. AT&T and Yahoo offer 384K service for $39.99 and faster speeds for $49.99 plan, Covad and Earthlink only offer $49.99 plans. None of these prices include tax.

And in case you think this is an example of competition at work, most people will be lucky to have a choice of 2 DSL providers, except in big cities, where, as in parts of Dublin, some will have a choice of 5 or 6 providers.

And DSL and Cable both grew at exactlly the same rate in the US last year, so there's no evidence of people leaving DSL for Cable. (Cable has about a 60-40 advantage over DSL in the US market, the only world market where it leads DSL).
    Finally, if you look at virtually any other country in Europe, ADSL did not take off until it was priced at between 30 and 40 euros a month. And that's a fact.
    Since when was the UK not in the EU? (Not to mention the fact that, because of our low tax regime, we have a significantly higer discretionary income than in most other EU countries, which is why we happily pay more for our mobile phone access).
    Even ComReg have said this (that ADSL is a no-go if it's priced above 30 - 40 euros for consumers).
    Do you have a reference for this quote from ComReg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think Joe Street and John Q. Public will be sticking with the various dial-up products for the moment until prices for DSL come down to reasonable levels.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement