Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Toronto - IEC Confusion! :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edie s

I'm going to Toronto, and am thinking mid-Summer! If needs be i will wait til sept, gonna see when, and if, i get my visa

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

edie s wrote: »
    I'm going to Toronto, and am thinking mid-Summer! If needs be i will wait til sept, gonna see when, and if, i get my visa

Went down to get my police cert done yesterday first step done only few to go:).
    Same here you heading over on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

I sent in a couple off applications for myself and a friend last year..
    1. Get your Garda clearance ready
    2. Have a cv covering the last 10 years ready. Ensure there's no unexplained employment gaps.
    3. If you've been abroad for more than 6 months in the last 10 years get police clearance from those places.
    4. Check the IEC website regularly.
    5. When they open the visa's, download the application forms, complete and send away. Before you send them, save them onto your desktop as you will need a copy of some of them again. (Good idea to keep copies regardsless).
    6. They will send you a "provisional acceptance" which is when they also request payment.
    7. Send payment through bank, scan and copy everything you send, get receipts for everything you send. Copy all receipts, lodgement stubs etc. They don't ask you to send a copy of the stub, but I did anyway, didn't do any harm and can't hurt.
    8.Wait. And wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Good info minnow12 what would be the time-frame to be waiting to get granted the visa? like if i send it straight away when iec opens provieded there's so no mistakes how soon would i have the loi?:D

Well, last year they said no more than 8 weeks, but it was actually more like 12. There was a huge backlog - everybody seemed to apply the minute they opened and they're dealt with on a first come first served basis. IEC were totally unprepared for the influx and the normal wait time for last year was at least 12 to 16 weeks. In fairness, they send you an email at each stage, so you know that your application is progressing, but they don't take calls and you can't enquire at random, no tracking number to check or anything like that. Again, that was last year, maybe things will be a little more efficient this time round!!! Here's hoping!!

• Advertisement

Thanks minnow12 are u in canada atm?if so hows it goin?:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Thanks minnow12 are u in canada atm?if so hows it goin?:D
    Not too bad at all - if you've a trade you'll fly it, no trade like me, and you'll manage ok... There's a lot of money in the trades - anything to do with construction or oil fields and you're in business.
    Much harder for women to get decent paying jobs - plenty of work available at $13/ $14 an hour in offices/ retail etc., but that money is crap, especially when you consider the cost of living (in my experience) is actually higher than home. Compare that to what the guys are making (about $30\ hr depending on what they do) and it's very frustrating.
    I like it here, but I'm working 2 jobs just to make ends meet. But then, all the guys work as much overtime as they can so all the Irish here seem to work at least 6 days a week, if not more..
    Overall, it's good, looking forward to this winter I've been hearing so much about!

Thanks for your great reply:D..yea iam in construction iam heading to calgary do you no how hard it is to get a job labouring in cons or in the oil fields?:D how much would you want to make a week to have a comfy life?:D iam travelling solo whenever i get my iec visa lol:D

You'll be grand - it'll take you a week to get a job sorted -try to go with the bigger companies and make sure they have benefits aswell as a good wage.. don't be afraid to ask for money, they'll pay you!
    Bigger companies have better wages, they'll send you on training courses to get your "tickets" - everything over here requires a cert of some kind, but they'll pay for you to do them in the big places. (Even to work in a bar you need to do a Proserve course). Fall arrest, WHMID, anything else you show interest in tell them and they'll arrange for you to do the relevant training course..
    There are some companies that don't offer benefits - they aren't legally required to - but if, for example, you need an x-ray just to have a wisdom tooth removed - it's $500 for the x-ray ALONE!!! I dread to think what itd be if you broke your leg/ arm and couldn't work for a few months.

God thats huge mulla:O...would your travel insurance cover that? how did you bring money over?just cash? gona stay in a hostel when i first arrive and hit the ball running to all them big companys:D

• Advertisement

just stick your cash onto your credit card - visa/ mastercard accepted everywhere.

Dont Have a credit card:(:rolleyes: hahah

Good idea to get one, even an Ulster bank visa debit..

Yea i have an ulster bank visa debit card do u just mean leave my mulla in my account and just use my card and take out the money that way?:D thanks for your helpful comments:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'm living in Oz for the past 2 years and was wondering if I need a garda clearance from back home as well as a police cert and traffic history report from Oz? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Would it be expensive using an Ulster Bank debit card in Canada..bank charges..currency conversion? Would using 2 paypal accounts be cheaper?

Yep, don't stay in a hostel with cash. Oddly enough, the first hostel I stayed in wouldn't actually let me pay with cash, still not sure why, but it's def safer not to make yourself a target and also, what happens if all your dosh got swiped??? At least with a card, something can be done if it goes missing!
    Also, set up a bank acc as soon as you get an address and the recmommendation from the banks here, for those who want to stay here long term, is get a credit card- purely and simply to start building up a credit history in Canada. Even one with a low credit limit. You can get a mortgage after a year, (as per BMO) obviously as long as you have a downpayment, and permanent residency etc, but the only real way to build up a credit history is through using and paying off your credit card every month.
    Also, ask your bank if they do starter packages for newly arrived foreign workers in Canada. Most of the starter packages don't charge monthly fees for the first 6 mnths. or a year, (BMO and Scotia bank dont) but some do - sometimes up to $30 per month. This might change by the time you come over, so always ask .
    If I've realised one thing here, it pays to shop around....

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Thanks minnow. Heading to Edmonton in Jan so trying to figure out cheapest ways to live until I get my bearings.

Cheers minnow..do you no with the iec visa this year being up to 24months will we have to get backpackers or travelers insurance for the 24months? and do they check proof of this?:D

To be perfectly honest, they didn't check mine, or anybody else that I saw... BUT that's only my experience and I'd definitely get the health insurance anyway, since it covers travel also. I got VHI backpacker, it was about 250 euro as far as I remember... Cheapest by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I'm also heading to toronto alone!!!its scary but like I didn't wanna change my plans just cause my friends are boring lol
    I wish the iec would just open so I could get applying!!!!!

Same boad bud execpt iam goin to calgary what kinda mulla u hopeing to bring wit ya:D

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I'm also heading to toronto alone!!!its scary but like I didn't wanna change my plans just cause my friends are boring lol
    I wish the iec would just open so I could get applying!!!!!

same here mate and i am shting meself when you thinking of heading over?

Well I'm hoping my female charm will help me pick up a bar job ASAP that will tide me over until I get something a bit better lol so I'm only bringing about 1500 or 2000 euro with me!!

slim1919 wrote: »
    same here mate and i am shting meself when you thinking of heading over?

Don't be worrying I moved to Edinburgh with 200euro in my pocket and I stayed for two years we will pick up work no problem as long as we're willing to do anything at the beginning!!!
    I'm leaving in march/April time hopefully!!you??

Don't be worrying I moved to Edinburgh with 200euro in my pocket and I stayed for two years we will pick up work no problem as long as we're willing to do anything at the beginning!!!
    I'm leaving in march/April time hopefully!!you??

not too worred about money have almost 5 grand its the hole going to a different place on me own leaving everyone behide thats getting to me, was going to head over then too but might push it back till midsumer try and beef up my cv

As long as you have experience in something you should be fine!!but summer would probably be a nicer time to arrive I'd imagine!!
    I'm a beautician myself but I won't be working in that area over there ill be using my previous banking experience to find something in admin or banking!!
    Do you know anybody over there already??? Like you'll make friends no problem especially if you book into a hostel for when u first arrive!!

If you're going to do bar work, get your proserve online before you go... Costs about $50 and boring as hell, but required by law in Alberta, not sure about other provinces,. Also, word to the wise - don't be shocked - it's a tips industry that pays minimum wage, therefore most female bar tenders/ servers adhere to the short skirt low cut top policy.. Not all, but 99.9% of places.. Difference here is, that there's no disrespect given as a result - no mauling groping or anything like that. And you'll make a fortune in tips on the weekend. Busy clubs in the summer, you can make up to $750 cash a night for Sat night, winter about $250 a night. It varies though, and theres no guarantees... Depends on the type of bar.

As long as you have experience in something you should be fine!!but summer would probably be a nicer time to arrive I'd imagine!!
    I'm a beautician myself but I won't be working in that area over there ill be using my previous banking experience to find something in admin or banking!!
    Do you know anybody over there already??? Like you'll make friends no problem especially if you book into a hostel for when u first arrive!!

i haven done much the last two years only the odd temp job have a few things hopefully coming up over the next few weeks that will take me till the summer, no dont know anyone over there going on me tod have had a few friends over the last year who were ment to be going with me but they all pulled out
    Do you know anyone over there?

• Advertisement

minnow12 wrote: »
    If you're going to do bar work, get your proserve online before you go... Costs about $50 and boring as hell, but required by law in Alberta, not sure about other provinces,. Also, word to the wise - don't be shocked - it's a tips industry that pays minimum wage, therefore most female bar tenders/ servers adhere to the short skirt low cut top policy.. Not all, but 99.9% of places.. Difference here is, that there's no disrespect given as a result - no mauling groping or anything like that. And you'll make a fortune in tips on the weekend. Busy clubs in the summer, you can make up to $750 cash a night for Sat night, winter about $250 a night. It varies though, and theres no guarantees... Depends on the type of bar.

is that the same for men or is it just the women that make good money at it

Advertisement