Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Toronto - IEC Confusion! :/

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

To be honest, I can only really speak from my experience, but the way the tip system works is, the tips are all joind up and split equally. The men are expected to do the whole smarmy charmy winky thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

minnow12 wrote: »
    To be honest, I can only really speak from my experience, but the way the tip system works is, the tips are all joind up and split equally. The men are expected to do the whole smarmy charmy winky thing...

then i am fcuked so ha bar work is only my back up to my back up anyway

Not at all, they love the accent out here, and the blarney will take you far:P

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I know a e people over there but I would exactly say they're friends more acquaintances who I speak to if I see them etc!! My cousin is leaving soon so he will be there when I get over and I have distant relatives who live in Mississauga but have never met them!!

Not at all, they love the accent out here, and the blarney will take you far:P

ha were are you are you in toronto? was looking at Scarborough for some were to live seems the cheapst is that far from downtown toronto?

• Advertisement

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I know a e people over there but I would exactly say they're friends more acquaintances who I speak to if I see them etc!! My cousin is leaving soon so he will be there when I get over and I have distant relatives who live in Mississauga but have never met them!!

Thats not too bad you will know a few people to start with might help bedding in over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Yea hopefully I can crash with my family for the first few weeks save me a few penny's!!!

No I'm in Alberta at the mo, looking to head for Vancouver right after Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edie s

slim1919 wrote: »
    Went down to get my police cert done yesterday first step done only few to go:).
    Same here you heading over on your own?

yep i am! may aswel just chance it lol :)

Yep, don't stay in a hostel with cash. Oddly enough, the first hostel I stayed in wouldn't actually let me pay with cash, still not sure why, but it's def safer not to make yourself a target and also, what happens if all your dosh got swiped??? At least with a card, something can be done if it goes missing!
    Also, set up a bank acc as soon as you get an address and the recmommendation from the banks here, for those who want to stay here long term, is get a credit card- purely and simply to start building up a credit history in Canada. Even one with a low credit limit. You can get a mortgage after a year, (as per BMO) obviously as long as you have a downpayment, and permanent residency etc, but the only real way to build up a credit history is through using and paying off your credit card every month.
    Also, ask your bank if they do starter packages for newly arrived foreign workers in Canada. Most of the starter packages don't charge monthly fees for the first 6 mnths. or a year, (BMO and Scotia bank dont) but some do - sometimes up to $30 per month. This might change by the time you come over, so always ask .
    If I've realised one thing here, it pays to shop around....

Thanks a mil for all the info! :) It's great getting advice from someone who has been through the IEC and who is over there! Def gonna get a credit card over there to build up my credit history - although with a very low credit limit lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Is it hard to get a credit car on the iec what is the requirements? obv a full time job is needed?:D

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I'm also heading to toronto alone!!!its scary but like I didn't wanna change my plans just cause my friends are boring lol
    I wish the iec would just open so I could get applying!!!!!

I'm the same, I wasn't nervous at all until my sister started going on about how big of a deal it was lol, Def doing it tho. The next few months are going to be dragged out with all the waiting!

The IEC actually emailed me back!

It is just what people have said on here - don't need to pay the fee with application. I've copied and pasted it below. They said the details are out in November but I'd say they meant December lol.....

Dear Amy,

Once your application has been preliminarily accepted, you will be prompted for payment. You will pay via online bank transfer.

Please be advised that all the details pertaining to the changes to eligibility criteria, opening date, application process, as well as duration of work permits, will be published on our website towards the end of November and before the initiative is scheduled to open in early 2013.

Please continue to monitor our website for further details: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

Sincerely,

The IEC Team
    UK / Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

slim1919 wrote: »
    ha were are you are you in toronto? was looking at Scarborough for some were to live seems the cheapst is that far from downtown toronto?

You can get from scarborough to downtown toronto on the ttc...would take about 45mins-1hr though.
    It also has a bit of a reputation as a ghetto...i dont know for definite myself as ive never lived there or know anyone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dont think too much

Hi minnow12,

re the proserve for bar work in alberta, can you give me an idea where to find it online? Can it be completed online and get the cert before you arrive in canada?
    Thanks

retalivity wrote: »
    You can get from scarborough to downtown toronto on the ttc...would take about 45mins-1hr though.
    It also has a bit of a reputation as a ghetto...i dont know for definite myself as ive never lived there or know anyone who has.

no way when you say ghetto would you mean like ballymun or would it be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

If you're going to do bar work, get your proserve online before you go... Costs about $50 and boring as hell, but required by law in Alberta, not sure about other provinces,. Also, word to the wise - don't be shocked - it's a tips industry that pays minimum wage, therefore most female bar tenders/ servers adhere to the short skirt low cut top policy.. Not all, but 99.9% of places.. Difference here is, that there's no disrespect given as a result - no mauling groping or anything like that. And you'll make a fortune in tips on the weekend. Busy clubs in the summer, you can make up to $750 cash a night for Sat night, winter about $250 a night. It varies though, and theres no guarantees... Depends on the type of bar.

I myself am a male with about 5years experience in bar work and have a degree in managament, what is this proserve you are on about? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://proserve.aglc.ca/Index.aspx?tabid=7

Anyone who sells alcohol in Canada needs to be trained in proserve.
    Responsible selling of alcohol and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

Thanks, Can this be done in ireland before i go?

Yeo its just an online course that you do, basically alcohol levels, the consequences of overserving and canadian law as regards the different kind of licences and stuff
    Covers the employers ass, as you overserve somebody and they drive home, pick a fight, cause an accident etc etc, the bartender and bar can both be held personally responsible and sued!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement