Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oz & Lex made it into a local rescues calendar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Oz & Lex made it into a local rescues calendar :D

YEY! Congratulations.

So did my 2.

Bet they'll all act like little Divas now, and insist on us accompanying them out with an umbrella to protect them when they need to go to the toilet.

Food out of a dog bowl? PLEASE they're calendar pooches dontcha know. Hand feeding from now on.

:cool:

Isn't it gorgeous? Am so chuffed I knew Oz was in it with Tarquin but they kept the Lexi photo a secret. Love it cant wait to see it in real life.

The Lexi pic is lovely, her little face. It's such a happy calendar, they all look happy and healthy and safe. It's great.

I know its fab. I knew your two were in it but didn't realise twice!

How is the raw feeding going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We shall have to start a thread on her to show off pics of our pets in rescue calendars, I posted a few months ago that Cream is mr June :D

Tilly, Tarquin is such a beautiful dog, did he end up getting a permanent home? :)

Tarkie did, his two amazing foster mammies decided to keep him. I knew they would and I will hopefully babysitting again soon!

Yeah for Mr June!

They're there once, Mr & Mr July, which makes them sound like a couple :pac:

How is the raw feeding going?

:o I forgot to get meat yesterday and today, so they had a small bit of dry food today which they didn't really seem to enjoy and some veggies. Brekkie will have to be liver and veggies and I'll get up to the shop then tomorrow afternoon. Poor boys are wasting away. Phoes breath improved within 2 days. So it's very obviously doing him some good to be off the dry stuff. Thanks.

They're def in it twice..go check the smaller photos!

They're def in it twice..go check the smaller photos!

OMG they're in July and August. Double chuffed!

I'm really going to have to reign myself in with the ordering, do you know if you're going to order multiples?

• Advertisement

Which rescue is that calendar from? Without mentioning names of course.. guessing game! Is it the one who was trying to rehome tarquin? :P

That's the one.

Whispered wrote: »
    OMG they're in July and August. Double chuffed!

I'm really going to have to reign myself in with the ordering, do you know if you're going to order multiples?

I will def get one for my house and one for my mams. That will probably be enough!

I will have a load to sell next week if anyone wants one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Two dogs in the house and guess who plays fetch?

Mouse the kitten!
    She also found her voice recently and not only meows, but chirps like a bird when playing.
    Planning to video her playing with the dogs kong tennis balls, she picks them up in her mouth and carries them back to us!

mymo wrote: »
    Two dogs in the house and guess who plays fetch?

Mouse the kitten!
    She also found her voice recently and not only meows, but chirps like a bird when playing.
    Planning to video her playing with the dogs kong tennis balls, she picks them up in her mouth and carries them back to us!

:D Oh yeah get a video please! I'd say it's so cute.

I will and I promise to post here immediately! ;)
    Have to finish my coursework first though, I am working right now, honest!
    I am not here;);)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anyone know of any Newfies in rescue??

Ive decided that its the breed I want and Id prefer to go down the rescue route first rather than a breeder.Having discussed things with ISDW (Thanks for all the help ISDW) a Mal or Husky may not be the best dog for me at the moment.

But a Newfie sounds exactly like it will fit in with us.

So if anyone can help Id appreciate it (by pm of course)

So Ive gotten myself a Newfie pup.Collecting it from a reputable breeder this Saturday.

I tried every resuce I could think of.Scoured the web for rescues but no luck.So we decided to get a puppy.

Am I mad??I have plenty of garden space.Ive booked it in for puppy obedience classes.Have just been down with my vet to have a chat about shots/diet and loads of other questions about them.

I cant wait.The excitement is killing me!!!

Anyone got any tips for raising a Newfoundland!!!!!

Anyone got any tips for raising a Newfoundland!!!!!

Congratulations.

Start teaching things like "get into the bath" or "get into the car" as early as possible because you won't be able lift him or her for long.

In puppy obedience - do not worry about getting it right on the night. Listen, try it out then when you get home work on things.

Work on recall and lead training from the minute you get your pup.

If your vet sells a certain type of food chances are they're going to recommend it, do some of your own research too.

Get pet insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Got a coat for Indie in Petmania, she's happy out wearing it.

So, yesterday, I was tasked with Washing Dexter. at 40kg, he puts up a good struggle, but I've a fairly big shower in the ensuite so bring him in there with me and wash him there, he usually just sits and sulks, waiting to be let out. So I locked indie into the kitchen and brought Dexter upstairs.

So I'm in the shower in a pair of swimshorts, just after lathering dexter up, and Indie walks in!!! she takes one look, then takes off to explore the upstairs. So I had to get out of shower dripping wet, leave dexter in there (which he was not impressed with) and run after her. Only thing for it, has to bring her into shower too.

Ensuite destroyed as both had a good shake off after getting out.

But yeah, Indie has worked out how to use door handles. And the door opens INTO the kitchen, so she's actually pulling down the handle, then pulling the door towards her. Did her new party trick 3 more times that night to prove its not a fluke. Now I've got to change the handles for round ones. Little brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So Ive gotten myself a Newfie pup.Collecting it from a reputable breeder this Saturday!
    Congrats!

Just curious as to how you got a pup so quick from a breeder though. I would've presumed there'd be a waiting list for a Newfie puppy or am i wrong? Are you definitely DEFINITELY sure it's from a reputable source?
    Whispered wrote: »

Get pet insurance.
    + a million!!!

Best of luck with him though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

anniehoo wrote: »
    Congrats!

Just curious as to how you got a pup so quick from a breeder though. I would've presumed there'd be a waiting list for a Newfie puppy or am i wrong? Are you definitely DEFINITELY sure it's from a reputable source?

I was recommended the breeder by word of mouth through a friend that bought their dog there last year.
    How would I check if they are what Im told they are??
    What should I look for?

Youre making me paranoid now!!!

Im also told that there is a waiting list and there are only 2 pups left from a litter of 10 and 8 were presold.
    Im not commiting myself to it--if it looks dodgy when I go to collect the pup Im not taking it.

Ill wait for the right puppy / breeder to come along.

Oh sh^t
    Just found a puddle with a little blood in it:(
    Someone has pee'd maybe 4 or 5 times in last 3 weeks or so, don't know who it is, 3 cats and 2 dogs. Now there's blood in this one I know its not just the heavy rain, someone getting caught short or something.
    So now I have to figure out who did it...
    All seem fine and healthy...
    Not the kitten as she never missed the tray once.
    Both adult cats and one dog have had previous issues like this, so have it down to 3 suspects.

Need to find out quick, anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was recommended the breeder by word of mouth through a friend that bought their dog there last year.
    What should I look for?

Im also told that there is a waiting list and there are only 2 pups left from a litter of 10 and 8 were presold.
    Im not commiting myself to it--if it looks dodgy when I go to collect the pup Im not taking it.

Ill wait for the right puppy / breeder to come along.

Xmas puppies or a co-incidence? Make suren the parents are scored and walk away if they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    :o Sorry!!! It's just buying a pup just before xmas isn't something we promote here i thought, unless you've sourced and researched your breeder properly and their associated health issues (hip/elbow dysplasia; PDA a heart issue and entropian an eye issue).
    What should I look for?
    A good breeder will have no problem giving you names of previous buyers to contact to see how their pups have developed. A heart murmur will be detected by a good vet on initial inspection and this which is vital:
    tk123 wrote: »
    Make sure the parents are scored and walk away if they're not.

This is all basic essential "tick the box" stuff for venturing into the world of owning a Giant breed. I'd also contact the Newfoundland Club of Ireland and have a chat with peeps there too.

Being paranoid is actually a good thing, you should be on your guard when investing in this breed. If you pick wrong you're in for a whole world of problems and vet bills and you'll be too invested emotionally before these become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Saw my first St Bernard at the weekend. Those things are huge! Was nearly about to put Millie on the lead for a couple of minutes so she didn't get trampled on but decided against it. The thud as that dog ran about the park was something else. Beautiful dog it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

What should I look for?

Someone can call me up on this as I'm not 100% certain, but I was always under the impression good breeders don't sell their pups around the Xmas season. There's the possibility it's an impulse buy by people who wouldn't research the breed properly.

Also would cause alot of hassle to them by having to filter through genuine calls of people who'd know the breed.

Could be completely off with that notion though, and in no way mean to suggest that you haven't looked into the Newfoundland Hellrazer ;)

Buyer Beware is all ;)

46446_10151291828843447_996568622_n.jpg

Yellow has company! Two 12 weeks old boys.

The closest one is my brave little guy. He's been called Drake.
    The other (only distinguishable by having more white on his chest) is a bit thick really... and Yellow's taken a real shine to him! My friend has named him Cloud, but I'm not totally sold on that. He needs a name, but not in a month of Sundays will he be named Josh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmmm.. this whole Christmas pup thing... Is a pup being sold almost a month before Christmas really a Christmas pup? To me, breeders who are genuinely selling for the Christmas market will do most of their selling in the few days before Christmas, so that pup can be collected just in time to stick under the tree?
    I'm not saying that the newfie breeder isn't at this, but I'd have fewer alarm bells going off now than if Hellrazer posted his news 3 weeks from now!
    As for personal recommendations, they're better than nowt HR, but do still proceed with caution. Is your friend's newfie a healthy dog? Did the breeder keep in contact with them? Did your friend like the premises in which the pups were reared? Are the pups spending time indoors in the house?
    I know people who bought a first class newfie pup a few months ago... He is wonderful in every way. They did a huge amount of research into the breed, their lines, and breeders, and concluded that buying one in Ireland would not tick all the boxes. They bought their dog in Scotland.
    Just throwing it out there!
    One thing I will say too HR, don't bring the kids with you at the weekend, in case you have to walk away :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

DBB wrote: »
    Hmmm.. this whole Christmas pup thing... Is a pup being sold almost a month before Christmas really a Christmas pup? To me, breeders who are genuinely selling for the Christmas market will do most of their selling in the few days before Christmas, so that pup can be collected just in time to stick under the tree?
    I'm not saying that the newfie breeder isn't at this, but I'd have fewer alarm bells going off now than if Hellrazer posted his news 3 weeks from now!
    As for personal recommendations, they're better than nowt HR, but do still proceed with caution. Is your friend's newfie a healthy dog? Did the breeder keep in contact with them? Did your friend like the premises in which the pups were reared? Are the pups spending time indoors in the house?
    I know people who bought a first class newfie pup a few months ago... He is wonderful in every way. They did a huge amount of research into the breed, their lines, and breeders, and concluded that buying one in Ireland would not tick all the boxes. They bought their dog in Scotland.
    Just throwing it out there!
    One thing I will say too HR, don't bring the kids with you at the weekend, in case you have to walk away :-(

Very good advice about the kids! they will fall immediately in love with the pup! the are so big and fluffy haha and if everything else not up to scratch you dont want to be the bad guy and disappoint them! :)

• Advertisement

Is it slightly strange that we've had our dog for over a year now, and only yesterday did I hear her bark!? I didn't know dogs could be so quiet, now if only she would stop standing on my uggs and trying to give me the paw when I'm wearing clean clothes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement