Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

cider kiss..lovely and refreshing ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Having a few Porterhouse house beers tonight. My local off licence just got them in.

I'm a big stout/fan so I've tried each of those. My favourite was the Wrasslers, but I'm a fan of the other two as well.

Thought the Hop Head was ok and I'm trying the red tonight.

What are people's thoughts on them?

I LOVE Wrasslers. It's my tipple of choice, and to my mind is what a good stout should aspire to be. That being said, I know it errs on the bitter side for some. I once gave my 'aul lad a schlug of my Wrasslers and within earshot of the barman he proclaimed, "that's piss!". Horses for courses and all that.

I'm not so into typical american stouts that the yanks harp on about- to me they mostly seem to lack some balls. Imperial Russian stouts hit the spot nicely though. And Porterhouse Plain is a great pint too. Several go down nicely :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just had a pint of old hooky out of the cask. Wasnt a fan.of it out of a bottle but its lovely casked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

limnam wrote: »
    I picked up a couple of bottles of Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne porter, which I had with some manchego cheese. The porter itself is slightly on the pricey side at 3.99 for 500ml But I really enjoyed it I found it delicately smoky. One of the nicer porters I've tried.

Where did you get that? The bottle, not the cheese.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was in the Porterhouse last night for a few drinks, enjoyed the Red ale, would definitely have it next time I'm in. Will give the hop head a go as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A friend from Germany brought me a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest beer 2L bottle with the ceramic top.

Not a bad beer very malty I thought but nothing that will blow your mind. A hint of hop and not very carbonated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

We've been busy settling in to Calgary's beer scene.

Over the last few days we've had:

St Ambroise Wheat Ale - A nice sipper, refreshing and full of wheat flavours with a good hop bite.

Rickards Red - A decent enough beer for a macro, caramelly and sweet but balances out.

Alexander Keith's IPA - Not so much an IPA but a Heineken with a hint of hops, not great.

Wild Rose Brown Ale - One of the local craft breweries, this is chocolatey and roasty but still being relatively light, think this will be a favourite for the next few months.

Tree Brewing Cutthroat Pale Ale - This is a really great Pale Ale with great piney, grassy hoppy goodness.

Mill Street Cobblestone Stout - This is a decent cross between a Wrasslers and a draught O'Hara's stout, its burnt and bitter. I was glad to find a nice stout so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

preview_product1155.jpg

8Degrees Knockmeldown Porter. Quite nice, I have to say. Nice and malty and dark, but I wouldn't have minded it slightly stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Having a few Porterhouse house beers tonight.

What are people's thoughts on them?

Had my first bottled Oyster stout last night and enjoyed it a lot. You can't really go wrong with any of their stouts, and I like Hop Head a lot too. The Red didn't do much for me but I'm not really a fan of Irish Red ales anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was in the Porterhouse last night for a few drinks, enjoyed the Red ale, would definitely have it next time I'm in. Will give the hop head a go as well.

Their whiskey cask aged Celebration stout is fab - the regular celebration is really good too.
    The Brian Blasta is tasty but be careful it packs a well concealed punch if drinking by the pint.
    Hop head is nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Their whiskey cask aged Celebration stout is fab - the regular celebration is really good too.
    The Brian Blasta is tasty but be careful it packs a well concealed punch if drinking by the pint.
    Hop head is nice too.

Cheers, I've had a taste of the Brain Blasta, tis nice indeed. I've seen the effects of drinking it excessively too :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Generally, Porterhouse beers are pretty top notch. Not a huge fan of their lagers though, but that's more to do with not being a huge lager drinker anymore.

I was listening to the owner Oliver Hughes on the Last Word last night talking about the total devastation of their New York bar The Fraunces Tavern. Sounds awful.

Apparently they put something like $2m into renovating the place (only recently too). Terrible that the place took such a battering. It's one of the oldest buildings in NY, lots of history. Would love to visit the place....if I ever get back to NY again!

ASJ112 wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sipping on a Brewdog Anarchist/Alchemist. Really powerful stuff.

Actually I think it might be the highest ABV beer I've had.

I liked Anarchist, but given a choice between Flying Dog's Raging Dog(4 euros), Norrebro Little Korkney Ale(4.50) or Anarchist(10 euros) it's never going to get bought again for me, especially when I think the other two beers are tastier.
    On your recommendation I picked up the Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale (I assumed you meant this one instead of the Raging Bitch? I've had both before but it was well before I had developed a taste for high ABV beers) and also the Korkny Ale. The Korkny is a bit chalk and cheese when comparing it to the the Brewdog Anarchist/Alchemist. One's a Triple IPA and the other a Barley Wine.

I think I prefer the Brewdog, but at that price it's certainly not a beer you'd keep going back to.

I've still to try the Double Dog again.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

On your recommendation I picked up the Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale
    Oops, sorry ! I was referring to FD's Horn Dog Barley Wine beer, I'm terrible at remembering the names of their beers.
    The Korkny is a bit chalk and cheese when comparing it to the the Brewdog Anarchist/Alchemist. One's a Triple IPA and the other a Barley Wine.
    I know that's what they are both labelled as, but for me Anarchist tasted like every barleywine I've tried. I think if I did a blind taste of 3/4 barley wines and Anarchist I wouldn't been able to differentiate which one was a TIPA.

Did you try Abstrakt 06, the triple dry hopped black ipa ? The taste between that and Anarchist were quite different, the former being what I expected a TIPA to taste like.

I had Abstrakt 11 a while ago, a barleywine with raspberries, ginger, and peppers. Quite nice, but not worth the 17 euros. Its a shame Brewdog don't have a good barleywine part of their regular beers. The 3 Floyd's collaboration one they had was muck in my opinion, and seems to be gone too...

Oops, sorry ! I was referring to FD's Horn Dog Barley Wine beer, I'm terrible at remembering the names of their beers.
    Turns out I did actually try the Horn Dog and I really liked it too (according to notes I keep in my phone). I know that's really nerdy but I can never remember which ones I've tried, or liked.

I know that's what they are both labelled as, but for me Anarchist tasted like every barleywine I've tried. I think if I did a blind taste of 3/4 barley wines and Anarchist I wouldn't been able to differentiate which one was a TIPA.
    Ah I'd say I'd be able to tell the difference between the Anarchy and a Barley Wine, just because the hops so upfront.

Did you try Abstrakt 06, the triple dry hopped black ipa ? The taste between that and Anarchist were quite different, the former being what I expected a TIPA to taste like.

I had Abstrakt 11 a while ago, a barleywine with raspberries, ginger, and peppers. Quite nice, but not worth the 17 euros. Its a shame Brewdog don't have a good barleywine part of their regular beers. The 3 Floyd's collaboration one they had was muck in my opinion, and seems to be gone too...
    Tbh, I'm only really getting into the stronger beers now as my tastes are changing, and also running out of new beers to try! :)

Turns out I did actually try the Horn Dog and I really liked it too (according to notes I keep in my phone). I know that's really nerdy but I can never remember which ones I've tried, or liked.
    When I first started really getting into craft beer I took photos on my phone as I was trying so many beers. Brings back pleasant memories when I stroll through them !

If I can ever bargain my way into getting Anarchist cheaper will see where the opinion stands on it now. As for the new beer problem, Redmond's are getting in beers from New Zealand breweries Epic and Tuatuara(spelling?). The Epic beers sound like hop heaven, fun weekend awaits !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

KJ wrote: »
    Where did you get that? The bottle, not the cheese.

Bradley's in Cork. Probably not much good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

When I first started really getting into craft beer I took photos on my phone as I was trying so many beers. Brings back pleasant memories when I stroll through them !

If I can ever bargain my way into getting Anarchist cheaper will see where the opinion stands on it now. As for the new beer problem, Redmond's are getting in beers from New Zealand breweries Epic and Tuatuara(spelling?). The Epic beers sound like hop heaven, fun weekend awaits !

Some of the epic are lovely. Had them when I was in NZ and loved them but even over there they were expensive so will probably be very pricey here.

Any that I should definitely get matrim ?

Any that I should definitely get matrim ?

This is what I had to say (in this thread) at the time. Pretty sure I had the standard pale ale on a different night and it was nice too
    Tonight I had a couple from the Epic Brewery in New Zealand. First was Epic Hop Zombie, which was very strong on hops with a hint of fruit and a bitter strong aftertaste which is to be expected at over 8%. It was very nice and I would highly recommend it.

I followed it up with an Epic Armageddon IPA. This was nice and hoppy with citrus flavours. Compared to the Hop Zombie the hops were weak but compared to most beers it was hoppy.

If I was doing it again (and probably will be tomorrow) I would swap the order around to enjoy the Armageddon more.

• Advertisement

The Salt House have a new guest tap and the first up on the tap is a keg of Gulden Draak. Selling it by halves for what I feel is a bargain at €3.50. Just finished a glass. It really is a fantastic beer. You'd never know it was 10.5%!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Moose head lager this week

Brooklyn Black Ops. Nice enough but not the nicest Imperial Stouts I've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Can't get enough of stout/porter at the moment. This evening I have been mostly drinking...

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
    Belfast Black
    Fullers London Porter - my favourite of the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Zlaty Bazant is beside me a i type. A fine lager indeed. My new favourite European beer.

Had a Liefmans Goudenband tonight. I didn't have a full explaination of it before I ordered and was expecting a strong ale but was suprised by what I got. A sour ale that was almost like a red wine but with a bit more tartness. Was very tasty and something that I think could be a great accompiment for some foods

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Brooklyn Black Ops. Nice enough but not the nicest Imperial Stouts I've ever had

Black Ops is a fantastic beer to be honest. not an every day beery but a beautiful example of what an imperial stout can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Had these over the past few nights:

Le Trappe Quadrupel:fruity deliciousness, and a scarily hidden 10% ABV :)

Young's Double Chocolate Stout- drinkable, pleasant enough, inoffensive. Think I've satisfied my curiosity here to be honest.

Wells Banana Bread Beer- Banana Bread/ Beer-sounds great? It isn't. Nasty astringent after taste. Won't be going back here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't know which one to have for the rugby. Hoping for it to be a celebratory drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Having a sv tumblr watching the rugby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement