Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a sadistic bastar*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/he-told-girlfriend-he-would-stop-beating-her-if-she-let-him-gouge-her-eye-out-with-a-bread-knife-3287843.html

I know I will be hounded out of town for this comment but why on earth did the woman stay with the "ba5tard" after he had assaulted her several times previously? It took pretty much a murder attempt where he half killed her for her to get away from him.

After reading the story, there was clearly a history of violence in the relationship and what I would like to know is what makes some women stay with scumbags like this?

Why not get the fcuk out at the first sign of violence?

The scumbag deserved way more than the two and a half year sentence that he received so I'm no fan of the judge in this case by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

this chapter of his life ends in two and a half years but the poor women has to live with the memories of this horrific torture for the rest of her life. she may endure psychlogical damage including trouble trusting men and being in a relationship.

the punishment ABSOLUTELY HAS to fit the crime.

anyone who commits this kind of crime should pay for it for the rest of his life like the victim. lisbeth salendar had the right idea. there should be an internationally recognised symbol to identify people who commit violent and sexual assaults. in cases like these the guilty person should have this symbol tattood to their arm as a warning to any women he meets in future. regular checks should be required to ensure the tattoo isnt removed. people who commit those crimes should loose their ability to be in a relationship due to the potential life long trauma inflicted on the victims.

surely only good would come of this system and i'd imagine a majority of the public would be in favour of it but things will never change :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Big dick?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The good old EU and it's idealised notions as to who gets in, and how easily they get to flit about, again...

Even if they don't shape up economically, they can just cook the books and get in anyway! All in the cause of this nonsense ideal that all of Europe is the same, that self impoverished people given free migration will not move to the nation with the most generous or open ended welfare arrangements, or that one currency can be applied to 27 different economies!

I agree, send them all home. Fecking immigrants coming over here. And if other countries enacted the same laws be'd be fine. It's not like ireland has ever seen outward migration/emigration. And when we did, it's not like we indulged in any criminality like organising criminal gangs in new york or boston. And we certainly never had anyone go abroad and train terrorists.

btw, the eurozone has 17 members. The EU has 27 but that includes countries like the UK which will never join the euro. Really, before you go on a racist xenophobic, eurosceptic rant, you should check your facts.

smash wrote: »
    Big dick?

Possibly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably low self esteem and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would think that there's a mandate to have longer sentences for violent crimes.

I don't understand why nobody campaigns on the issue, even if they don't actually plan on following through with it.

If we just stopped putting any non-violent offenders in prison I'd imagine we'd save a bit of space.

There seems to be a wrongheaded approach to crime based on the amount of damage done rather than the potential for damage and protecting society rather than doing "justice".
    This guy is clearly a dangerous person and the kind of torture he committed should have alarm bells ringing. He should be in prison for a solid 5 years, preferably more. He's clearly dangerous. That he committed the offence against someone considerably weaker (as opposed to two drunk eejits breaking each other's noses) should also be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know I will be hounded out of town for this comment but why on earth did the woman stay with the "ba5tard" after he had assaulted her several times previously?

You made a spelling mistake there mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Women, or men who suffer from this kind of abuse tend to have extremely low confidence, may be in fear, can be very depressed, and may see no other solution other than to stay. While it seems like common sense for you, it is an insult to these sufferers for you to assume they stay because they are loyal to their scumbag.

You need to read up on this OP, it makes for grim reading but it explains the mindset of someone stuck in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its that people take refuge with those they know even though they all know they are at risk doing so. You get conditioned to a situation, its why people live in at times astonishing conditions (or do awful jobs) and think they are basically fine.

Interesting that the report saw the need to state the nationality of both parties, its quite irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

I call for a mass petition for the judge's dismissal immediately without pension/benefits!

The judge obviously isn't intelligent enough or able enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Why did it take the Guards 6 days to arrest him :confused:The mind boggles. Either way, he's a scumbag, through and through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Fear.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Probably low self esteem and fear.

This ^^^^

I know of a girl who was with a guy who beat her, for almost a year. He not just beat her, he humiliated her, he raped her on more than one occasion, he made her life a living hell. One time he was actually going to her flat with a can of petrol to burn it with her in it because she reported him to the Gardai. She got a tip-off to get out before he got there. She stayed with him out of pure fear for her and her son. I asked her could she just not leave, go hide somewhere etc. but she said he would find her. It took a lot of convincing and moving her in the middle of the night, but I got her out of there. That was 4 years ago and she hasn't looked back, although the ordeal still haunts her and probably will for a very long time.

It's a disgraceful situation to be in but anyone who hasn't been there can only imagine what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

This ^^^^

I know of a girl who was with a guy who beat her, for almost a year. He not just beat her, he humiliated her, he raped her on more than one occasion, he made her life a living hell. One time he was actually going to her flat with a can of petrol to burn it with her in it because she reported him to the Gardai. She got a tip-off to get out before he got there. She stayed with him out of pure fear for her and her son. I asked her could she just not leave, go hide somewhere etc. but she said he would find her. It took a lot of convincing and moving her in the middle of the night, but I got her out of there. That was 4 years ago and she hasn't looked back, although the ordeal still haunts her and probably will for a very long time.

It's a disgraceful situation to be in but anyone who hasn't been there can only imagine what it's like.

Fair play for giving her the courage to up and leave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Abi wrote: »
    Women, or men who suffer from this kind of abuse tend to have extremely low confidence, may be in fear, can be very depressed, and may see no other solution other than to stay. While it seems like common sense for you, it is an insult to these sufferers for you to assume they stay because they are loyal to their scumbag.

You need to read up on this OP, it makes for grim reading but it explains the mindset of someone stuck in this situation.

Indeed. I worked with a young girl of about 19 a few years ago. She came in one day with two black eyes, sore leg and bruising all over her body. She disclosed to me that her boyfriend had thrown her over the banisters of the stairs and kicked her to bits. I gave her advice to leave him, not to return and involve the Garda because it was bound to happen again. She did.
    A week later she was back with him. Charges dropped.
    Her reason she said was because he wouldn't have done that to her unless he loved her. I wouldn't like to see what he'd have done if he hated her.
    Madness or what?

mike65 wrote: »

Interesting that the report saw the need to state the nationality of both parties, its quite irrelevant.

This crap annoys me. Why not state the nationality of both parties? Are you hinting that it is racist to reveal their nationalities? Maybe it's sexist to mention if they are male or female?
    If we are to get that uppity, why not ban revealing the sexes of both parties too.

What crap.

It's not irrelevant, it's informative.

........."A person beat up another person"......... not very informative really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

it's far from as simple as that. It's due to dependence, chipped-away self-esteem, being under control, fear as said. Much of this compounded if there are children.
    I call for a mass petition for the judge's dismissal immediately without pension/benefits!

The judge obviously isn't intelligent enough or able enough.
    Why do people keep going on as if the judge just plucked the sentence from nowhere? It's the statutes that need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Very good point madam x!!

Madam_X wrote: »
    it's far from as simple as that. It's due to dependence, chipped-away self-esteem, being under control, fear as said. Much of this compounded if there are children.

Why do people keep going on as if the judge just plucked the sentence from nowhere? It's the statutes that need to be changed.

I take your point on the first paragraph above.

I don't quite agree with your second one. Where then did the judge get his guidelines for sentencing? If he was allowed to give a five year sentence, then why did he suspend half of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Fear.

It's rarely fear of the abuser. It's more often a fear of being alone mixed in with a dependence on the abuser. This is more recognisable when children are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Indeed. I worked with a young girl of about 19 a few years ago. She came in one day with two black eyes, sore leg and bruising all over her body. She disclosed to me that her boyfriend had thrown her over the banisters of the stairs and kicked her to bits. I gave her advice to leave him, not to return and involve the Garda because it was bound to happen again. She did.
    A week later she was back with him. Charges dropped.
    Her reason she said was because he wouldn't have done that to her unless he loved her. I wouldn't like to see what he'd have done if he hated her.
    Madness or what?
    Thats an awful shame, such a young girl. If it's that serious and shes that sucked in so early.. I'm honestly afraid for her.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    It's rarely fear of the abuser. It's more often a fear of being alone mixed in with a dependence on the abuser. This is more recognisable when children are involved.
    The dependence comes hand in hand with the abuse. Confidence and self esteem is knocked out of the victim to the point where they don't even know how to survive without the abuse. It's a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

How much has this lantern jawed prick cost us, since he came here to enhance our culture and diversify our gene pool?

Harvest his organs to defray the expense of his imprisonment and subsequent deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Only two and a half years?

F*cking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/he-told-girlfriend-he-would-stop-beating-her-if-she-let-him-gouge-her-eye-out-with-a-bread-knife-3287843.html

I know I will be hounded out of town for this comment but why on earth did the woman stay with the "ba5tard" after he had assaulted her several times previously? It took pretty much a murder attempt where he half killed her for her to get away from him.

After reading the story, there was clearly a history of violence in the relationship and what I would like to know is what makes some women stay with scumbags like this?

The scumbag deserved way more than the two and a half year sentence that he received so I'm no fan of the judge in this case by the way.

It has its onw logic, I said it above and others have implied it this type of dysfunctional relationship is a very complex situation. The reason why both people are caught up in this type of behaviour is very subjective. There is the general that which is common in similar relationships and the specific that which is subjective.

It all too easy to look at this with common sense, but it doesn't really apply here. Both people are sick, I don't mean this in any type of perjorative or moral way, but it is that which allows this type of relationship to continue.

In cases like this it is best to just try be understanding, I mean this for both sides, of course if some needs to be punished by law that should occur. Bos need, the abused so that they can move on and experience whatever a normal relationship is, and the same for the abuser so that they don't repeat the same thing on some other person.

I know it can seem strange but sometimes people just go from one abusive relationship to another, seeking them out. That is what I meant by there being a certain logic to it, but it does not equate with whatever common sense is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Where then did the judge get his guidelines for sentencing? If he was allowed to give a five year sentence, then why did he suspend half of it?
    Dunno. But there's bound to be more to it than him simply deciding "Feck it I'll go easy on the guy to piss people off." I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone here, but I think just damning the judge is simplifying the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

EnterNow wrote: »
    Another farcical sentence. Hard to believe how much of a failure to Irish society the Judicial system here is.

These Judges seem to have lost all connection with reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

These Judges seem to have lost all connection with reality

The worst decision I have ever seen in an abuse case was made by the jury, not the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have no intention of writing gratuitous and ignorant abuse about the judge based on an Irish Independent journalist's report of the case. The Judge heard the whole case, that's why we have judges and not sideline kangaroo courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

I can see why she fell for him he is quite dishy!

Advertisement