Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoBus/BE launch new Cork to Dublin/Airport Express service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I saw the 2.30? Departure leaving Dublin along the quays last sunday and it looked quite full and there was a 2nd coach behind it from some mallow based company which was also at least half full and looked like an extra bus put on by gobe but I can't be sure. They must have attracted all the students onto them as they are now advertising in colleges afaik.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So it seems you can now buy GoBe tickets in the bus stations, at least from the automated machines.

€15 single / €25 return so more expensive the Aircoaches cash fare, but still good news.

I didn't buy it, but it seems to give you an open ticket for use on the entire date given. Not sure what would happen if the bus was already full.

I hope GoBus update the GoBE site with this great new information.

The ticket is on the main screen of the machine as "Cork *GoBE* Direct"

I got the 6:30pm ex-Dublin on Friday, it had 30 people on board, it seems the 5:30pm was sold out completely. It was the same purple Volvo I'd been on before, with a toilet, but the non working wifi.

Pity I still haven't had a chance they take their new '12 Volvo

While it seems all their coaches have toilets which is very good, quality is otherwise variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Have used this service 4 times now, fantastic company, Very friendly and professional.

I have used this service 4 times now and luckily have been on the 2012 liveried bus on all 4 occasions, Cork-Dublin express.

I travel off peak times and i have never seen more than 15 people on the bus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hogzy wrote: »
    I have used this service 4 times now and luckily have been on the 2012 liveried bus on all 4 occasions, Cork-Dublin express.

15 people off peak for such a new service isn't so bad.

Used it a few times and haven't had any luck catching the liveried coach. Can you give a quick review of it? Comfortable? Wifi working? etc.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    15 people off peak for such a new service isn't so bad.

Used it a few times and haven't had any luck catching the liveried coach. Can you give a quick review of it? Comfortable? Wifi working? etc.

Wifi working perfectly, not fast enough to stream netflix though but perfect for browsing.

I am 6'3 and had ample leg room. The seats are VERY comfortable and recline (to a greater degree than airline seats).

I have yet to use the toilet but from where I have been sitting they look very clean.

The bus that I was on was immaculate on all 4 occasions, probably because it is brand new but there was absolutly no dirt to be seen anywhere. The 2012 bus is very smooth and quiet.

Didnt even notice the time go by as it is very easy to fall asleep on the bus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Which 2012 bus is this? The two liveried examples are both 2011 vehicles.

I'm just curious, seeing as you've bumped two GoBE threads, and also posted a statement about the GoBE service in the Aircoach thread without mentioning the actual post it was about.

Seems very much like shill behaviour to me.....

devnull wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying your misleading comments.

Okay, so you say the bus is brand new.

Here you say it was from 2012.

If you did mean that really you'd not have used the brand new terms along with it would you as you'd know that 2011 is not brand new. But it seems you were trying to mislead.

Therefore as two facts in your post could be considered as trying it mislead people in order to promote a service, in addition to digging up not one, or two but three threads, seems a little bit strange.

If you wanted to make a point about GoBE why not just make it in one thread? You clearly went searching for multiple threads and a normal person would not do that, they'd post in one.

I'm all for people posting their opinion on boards, and posting facts, but misleading information happens too much related to Irish Rail, Private operators, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann by people who have agendas and I get sick of seeing it here, which is why I rarely post these days.

Christ man, get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged

Have used this service 4 times now, fantastic company, Very friendly and professional.

So good that you bumped two separate threads to say this?

Victor wrote: »
    Threads merged

So good that you bumped two separate threads to say this?

Well maybe if there weren't two separate threads on the same topic I wouldn't have had to.
    I really don't get why people are putting me down for complimenting the bloody service.

Is it against the charter to bump two threads or something? Clearly from my post history I have no affiliation with either gobe or bus eireann. Just a happy customer. Usually the Internet is used to vent frustration with companies. Looks like doing the opposite isn't appreciated. Won't be commenting here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Which 2012 bus is this? The two liveried examples are both 2011 vehicles.

I'm just curious, seeing as you've bumped two GoBE threads, and also posted a statement about the GoBE service in the Aircoach thread without mentioning the actual post it was about.

Seems very much like shill behaviour to me.....

Could've sworn I saw a 2012 GoBE liveried bus in Cork last week.

For tomorrow only the online fare for all journeys is €5! Cant see the train being busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For tomorrow only the online fare for all journeys is €5! Cant see the train being busy!
    Public transport companies engaging in below cost selling and cutting each others' throats! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Just booked a return to dublin for €13. €5 to dublin €10 return and used this voucher code for €2 off. GOTWEET

If you are booking a return for tomorrow book two separate single journeys instead as they will then cost €5 each with the Fiver Friday offer while if you book a day return tomorrow you will only be charged the discounted rate on the outward journey and the return will cost €10 or €15.

If you are booking a return for tomorrow book two separate single journeys instead as they will then cost €5 each with the Fiver Friday offer while if you book a day return tomorrow you will only be charged the discounted rate on the outward journey and the return will cost €10 or €15.

I try that but I'm returning Sunday ,still 13i bucks is really good

damagegt wrote: »
    I try that but I'm returning Sunday ,still 13i bucks is really good
    It beats the socks off a total cost of €61 for the train!

It beats the socks off a total cost of €61 for the train!
    It sure does,even my trusty Aircoach cant compete with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes they can... They just need to cut their prices lol

Well in fariness this is a one day special offer, probably to help get people to become aware of the service, Aircoach is normally cheaper.

• Advertisement

Customers please be advise that that from the 21st of December 2011, GoBé will no longer operate the additional Friday & Sunday services. This means the following services will be cancelled

From Cork 0930, 1130, 1330,1530, 1730
    From DAP 1100, 1300, 1500, 1700, 1900
    From Dublin City 1130, 1330,1530, 1730, 1930

So that is GoBE back to 10 services in each direction every day whilst Aircoach are still on 18 services in each direction every day and are cheaper. Would suggest that GoBE are not doing as well as they would have hoped.

The site indicates that prices may be going up as well, but it may just be an error because of the fact the banner still says fares from €20 but the table shows an adult online return as €25.

Christmas services
    Monday 24th December Last services at Dublin Airport Port at 2000 & Dublin City at 2030 from Cork City at 1430
    Tuesday 25th December No Service
    Wednesday 26th December No 00:30 x Cork City and then normal weekday schedule will apply

They are also using pretty old buses now, an 06 scania like the bus Éireann sc buses and an old looking 07 van hool neither of which had toilets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

that's disappointing, they seem to be giving up with a whimper. So much for the "fare wars" we're always promised by proponents of competitive privatisation :(

that's disappointing, they seem to be giving up with a whimper. So much for the "fare wars" we're always promised by proponents of competitive privatisation :(

They should have started this service up 10 years ago or more and would have put Irish Rail on the scrapheap a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Hurray for corporate Darwinism! People's travel plans thrown into chaos on eight days notice!

Is anyone even awake at NTA?

dowlingm wrote: »
    Hurray for corporate Darwinism! People's travel plans thrown into chaos on eight days notice!

Is anyone even awake at NTA?
    It is only the extra services that were there to cater for srudents which they are cutting back on. And I'm sure they have given the required notice for changing the service.

Prices changed for sure now, latest comparison: Both operators sill list the online rates as promotional so may well change again later.

New Online Prices:
    Dublin to Cork Single €12 (Aircoach €9)
    Dublin to Cork Return €22 (Aircoach €18)
    Dublin Airport to Cork Single €17 (Aircoach €15)
    Dublin Airport to Cork Return €27 (Aircoach €25)

New Non Online Fares
    Dublin to Cork Single: €17 (Aircoach €15)
    Dublin to Cork Return: €27 (Aircoach €22)
    Dublin Airport to Cork Single €20 (Aircoach €18)
    Dublin Airport to Cork Return €30 (Aircoach €28)

Im in two minds with this service now.My last journey wasn't great.The bus was old,no leg space,no toilet and extremely hot which the driver couldn't fix and it cost €25 bucks.
    I think ill stick with Aircoach.

Prices changed for sure now, latest comparison: Both operators sill list the online rates as promotional so may well change again later.

What you have posted here clearly shows there isn't any massive price war here, nor below cost selling.

A Bus Eireann return to Cork is €22.33, for the past few years it has always been around €19 to €22 to Cork.

A walk up Aircoach fare is €22 and €25 for GoBus, more or less the same or more expensive then BE!

The cheapest return ticket is Aircoach €18 online, that is only €4 less then BE. It is hardly surprising that a private operator should be able to undercut a state run company as large as BE.

Now if we had tickets of €1 or €2, then you would have below cost selling, but I honestly don't see any evidence of below cost selling here.

Based on comparisons with the BE prices, they all seem pretty fair, reasonable and maintainable.

So tell me what price do you think a Cork to Dublin return ticket on a private bus should be?

• Advertisement

There are very few people using the gobe services from Busáras. Many leave empty or with only one or two passengers. No wonder they cut back on the number of services and are using older buses which are obviously not as good.

Advertisement