Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hi ladies, just wondering - I know sore boobs is an early pregnancy sign. What do they mean by sore? I have really tender nipples (haha sorry tmi) but the rest of my boobs are fine?! I don't know if I'm just imagining things? Even lying on my front in bed last night was sore. Dunno what to think

Tender nipples as opposed the sore boobs were my first pregnancy symptom.

Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hey girlies, just back after a very relaxing weeks holiday. Think we refound our spark. We had no TTC sex just the good stuff so feeling much more positive and ready to start into the next cycle. We didn't have sex anywhere near the ovulation week this month so no chance of a BFP.

We are going to meet our GP when AF arrives (well 3 days after) and hopefully get the first round of blood tests. I have mentioned to my GP we are TTC briefly but never gone into details. We are now just over a year trying, feeling a bit nervous about it but looking foward to getting (hopefully) some answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Just got the results of my blood tests, doctor is happy that I've plenty of eggs but is convinced its pcos from looking at my LH levels. She reckons I don't have cysts and it's more of a Chemical thing.

She's booked me in with a gyno who has a reputation for being fantastic, Cathy Casey, and she'll finish off with a scan and a proper diagnosis.

She said I'll probably be started on Clomid and is very optimistic of my chances, I've asked about metaformin as I'm very overweight at 15 stone and haven't ever been able to lose it despite being very active and eating mainly paleo, so worried about the insulin aspect as I read this could cause miscarriage,gestational diabetes and deformities if left untreated but she doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

I don't know anyone with pcos so not sure if I should insist or just go along with it. Although, I haven't met Cathy yet so she might have something different to say.

At least, at the end of the day, it's a fixable problem, so woo hoo for that.

Also sticky bean, hope this is your month, you sound like yr having a great month :) and I'm glad yr having fun with it! It's so hard to keep the romance going in these situations,!

hey whatdoicare, good news that there are loads of eggs, when is your appointment? Hopefully it won't be too long away :)

stickybean wrote: »
    hey whatdoicare, good news that there are loads of eggs, when is your appointment? Hopefully it won't be too long away :)

I don't know yet, Doc is sending on the letter and then they'll ring me. It's a big relief anyway to know it's not premenopause!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

whatdoicare
    i have the same pcos with no cysts it took my doctor ages to believe me he told me i was just unique glad to see its not just me.
    he hasnt perscribed me anything as we took a break from actively ttc (in that we never used any protection) while we were getting married but is now more actively helping again.
    as well as my pcos ive an underactive thyroid now thankfully the results are all normal so the levels of eltroxin im on are right yippee no more changing perscriptions again.
    we have been referred to the routunda for himself to get tested and once thats done and results back we will have a more definitive answers for us as our doc said no point in just treating me if there is a prob with both of us but as far as im concerned he is fine and once his test comes back ok we will be moved onto clomid im excited and scared all in the one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 redcrayon

Hi all!! I new to this thread but have been TTC for 1 year now. So frustrating. I have a 4 year old already and honestly didn't think TTC no 2 would be so difficult.... Any way I'm off to the GP tomorrow to see where we go from here. I'm just looking for advice really on what to ask my GP or to expect? should my husband go too?? Feeling a bit nervous... thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Just got the results of my blood tests, doctor is happy that I've plenty of eggs but is convinced its pcos from looking at my LH levels. She reckons I don't have cysts and it's more of a Chemical thing.

She's booked me in with a gyno who has a reputation for being fantastic, Cathy Casey, and she'll finish off with a scan and a proper diagnosis.

She said I'll probably be started on Clomid and is very optimistic of my chances, I've asked about metaformin as I'm very overweight at 15 stone and haven't ever been able to lose it despite being very active and eating mainly paleo, so worried about the insulin aspect as I read this could cause miscarriage,gestational diabetes and deformities if left untreated but she doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

I don't know anyone with pcos so not sure if I should insist or just go along with it. Although, I haven't met Cathy yet so she might have something different to say.

At least, at the end of the day, it's a fixable problem, so woo hoo for that.

Also sticky bean, hope this is your month, you sound like yr having a great month :) and I'm glad yr having fun with it! It's so hard to keep the romance going in these situations,!

I have pcos too, diagnosed about 8 years although for the last year or so to look at my blood tests and scans you wouldn't believe it as they were all in the "normal" range. From my experience with trying different things I put this down to metformin (glucophage) and diet and exercise, the metformin was necessary to kick start my metabolism and then the rest fell into place with a a good bit of elbow grease! Although in the past I have been overweight my weight is now healthy for my height and I really believe this helps your body do what it's supposed to re ovulation etc.

In my experience GP's really aren't equipped to deal with PCOS so I would wait to speak to your consultant before deciding on a course of treatment, there is really no way to know if there are any cysts without a scan, I had no pain with mine. I went down the endocrinologist route instead of gynae but ttc wasn't a priority of mine at the time so in ways I had a good head start. I fully believe the metformin coupled with a change in diet and exercise is how I fell pregnant, am 14weeks now :)

Hoping all goes well for you and now that you have a diagnosis your ttc journey will be a short one :)

Digs wrote: »
    I have pcos too, diagnosed about 8 years although for the last year or so to look at my blood tests and scans you wouldn't believe it as they were all in the "normal" range. From my experience with trying different things I put this down to metformin (glucophage) and diet and exercise, the metformin was necessary to kick start my metabolism and then the rest fell into place with a a good bit of elbow grease! Although in the past I have been overweight my weight is now healthy for my height and I really believe this helps your body do what it's supposed to re ovulation etc.

In my experience GP's really aren't equipped to deal with PCOS so I would wait to speak to your consultant before deciding on a course of treatment, there is really no way to know if there are any cysts without a scan, I had no pain with mine. I went down the endocrinologist route instead of gynae but ttc wasn't a priority of mine at the time so in ways I had a good head start. I fully believe the metformin coupled with a change in diet and exercise is how I fell pregnant, am 14weeks now :)

Hoping all goes well for you and now that you have a diagnosis your ttc journey will be a short one :)

Congratulations Digs! Fantastic news!! Love hearing stories like yours! :):):)

Fingers crossed that I'll be somewhere closer to getting sorted in the next few months - I'm hoping that my chat with my Gynae will give me the news I want to hear and that i'll be posting lovely news like you.

Have to stop looking it up online, I'm just scaring myself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cha19

Hey girls, myself and my gay partner are ready to have a kid and we just want to get sperm and do a turkey baser job on it, anyone recommend a clinic? In remand we just can't buy the sperm so were gonna have to go out of the country to get it, any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Cha19 wrote: »
    Hey girls, myself and my gay partner are ready to have a kid and we just want to get sperm and do a turkey baser job on it, anyone recommend a clinic? In remand we just can't buy the sperm so were gonna have to go out of the country to get it, any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Hi Cha, Just wanted to say that none of us on here are ignoring you, it's more I think that we don't have anywhere to recommend. I do however wish you and your partner all the best. Might there be more help in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender forum? Someone there might have already dealt with this issue.

Just wanted to say welcome to redcrayon and cha19 - the girls are great on here and you will have loads of support and information x

And big huge congrats Digs - that is super news xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

So, I posted here before saying we were on our first month of trying but I felt pregnant. I thought maybe I was imagining it because its what I wanted, that it was too lucky to get pregnant straight away. Then my boobs got enormous and agauin, I thought I must be pregnant but didn't want to get my hopes up

turns out I am pregnant! got a positive test last night (3 of them actually!) so women's intuition is often right! I
    thought I'd post here on case anyone else was in the same.situation I thought I was going mad!

Now I'm worried we've used all our luck up and something will go wrong! I'm also wondering how I'll explain to friends why I'm not drinking without lying to them outright - don't want to tell people about pregnancy until I know all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

redcrayon wrote: »
    Hi all!! I new to this thread but have been TTC for 1 year now. So frustrating. I have a 4 year old already and honestly didn't think TTC no 2 would be so difficult.... Any way I'm off to the GP tomorrow to see where we go from here. I'm just looking for advice really on what to ask my GP or to expect? should my husband go too?? Feeling a bit nervous... thanks!!

Hi redcrayon,i just wanted to give you a quick reply,i too was on this thread for a few months.I have an almost 4 year old little girl,when she turned 2 we decided to try for another and just presumed it would happen within 6 months,fast forward 13 months and no pregnancy and I was in some pain during ovulation,I went privatly to a condsultant through my gp and within 9 days of meeting him I had a laproscopy,turms out I had a little endometreosis and my right ovary was glued to my pelvic wall because of this,I also had a cyst,I was so glad to find a reason for my pain and it was all fixed and put back in place during the op.On the 5th cycle post op we got our bfp,I am currently 15 weeks and doing great.

I am almost 32 and never had any reason to think I had these issues as I have been on birth control pretty much full time since I was 18.Having a talk with your gp and asking for a referral to a gynacolgist as they are more up on these issues than a gp.I wish you luck and hope you get your bfp really soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

meggysmom wrote: »
    Hi redcrayon,i just wanted to give you a quick reply,i too was on this thread for a few months.I have an almost 4 year old little girl,when she turned 2 we decided to try for another and just presumed it would happen within 6 months,fast forward 13 months and no pregnancy and I was in some pain during ovulation,I went privatly to a condsultant through my gp and within 9 days of meeting him I had a laproscopy,turms out I had a little endometreosis and my right ovary was glued to my pelvic wall because of this,I also had a cyst,I was so glad to find a reason for my pain and it was all fixed and put back in place during the op.On the 5th cycle post op we got our bfp,I am currently 15 weeks and doing great.

I am almost 32 and never had any reason to think I had these issues as I have been on birth control pretty much full time since I was 18.Having a talk with your gp and asking for a referral to a gynacolgist as they are more up on these issues than a gp.I wish you luck and hope you get your bfp really soon:)

I don't have any previous kids but my situation is almost identical to meggysmom. I'm 32 also and only went to the gp on the tiny off chance that something was wrong. Turns out that I had 2 cysts which were removed by laparoscopy. I think it was our 5th month post op when we got our positive. 19 weeks now and all going ok. Just wanted to reassure you that sometimes it can just be a small fixable problem.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hey all!

Rejoining you on this thread again. I got my first period after baby this morning, so marking today as officially CD1. I'm hoping that since my body managed to conceive once, that its learned how to do it again without us having to go through ovulation induction again. We shall see.

I think that we both will be a bit more relaxed this time around, we feel very blessed with our son, and anything more than that will be a wonderful bonus.

Welcome back Neylite, best of luck on your new journey pet xxx

And big congratulations on your little boy x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Neyite, I'm in a similar boat to yourself. We're definitely ready for TTC number two. I'm still BF 90% of the time, but no periods as yet. Baby is doing eight hour stretches at night, and there would be about ten hours of a break in feeds as the formula bottle is what she gets before bed. I've done a couple of pregnancy tests to check I'm not pregnant, was a little sad to get negatives! Baby is 20 weeks so hoping periods will make an appearance shortly. I had very, very long cycles which wasn't a major issue but fingers crossed they won't count against us this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just wanted to update the thread as I'd been on asking about sore boobs etc - well they got progressively sorer and more tender (even brushing my coat off them was killing me), so I did a pregnancy test and it was negative. 2 days later the sore boobs disappeared!

Had my first period in 2 years at the weekend (been on cerazette so haven't had any) - don't really remember if it was heavier/lighter than previous but the cramps were 10 times worse than I ever suffered before... just hoping it was because it was the first in so long. Feeling reasonably positive, glad to have it over and done with so I can start seeing how long my cycle is etc - not doing any heavy duty planning at the minute just seeing how we get on

Hope everyone else is doing ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

First period after the miscarriage is after arriving with bang. We are going to start trying again this cycle. Feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your loss Roesy xxx

Wishing you the very best of luck on the next phase of your journey pet x

Big hugs Rosaey

Got my appointment for the Merrion, it's not till Feb, a tad disappointed as we rang the clinic 2 weeks ago and they said the list was 6-8 weeks so we would be seen before Christmas :mad:

Anyway, as my Nan always said everything happens for a reason, so I suppose we can relax over Christmas.

I booked in for reflexology on Monday, looking forward to it.

I also have my 21 day bloods that morning. Having a weird cycle this month, I was spotting for 2 days before I got my period (I never have spotting) then day 3 full blow period, but NO pain! Very strange. Ovulated (according to 2 postive OPK's) on the Friday, which was 13 days after the spotting started and only 11 days after what I think was a full blown period.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Reflexology is great SB :D

So yeah I'm just going to come off the pill and we'll see what happens... That lasted all of five minutes! I just have too inquisitive a nature to do that, ended up reading loads on TTC, buying a thermometer and the fertility friend app and been temping. Just trying to get a handle on my cycle as didn't have one for so long. So technically I'm on the 2 week wait but my chart looks loopy so not really sure if I am or not =\

Quite dis appointed in myself today. I was booked in for a HSG before my lap which is booked for this day 3 weeks and she couldn't complete it. It was just too painful. I don't know why but it was excrutiating. I've had it before and it was ok, with one massive oh my god moment but otherwise ok. This time she actually had to stop.
    Really annoyed as it would have shown if I had any flow at all in my right tube :( It's official I am a wimp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So myself and my husband are going to start TTC as soon as my current stock of the Pill runs out. This will be on Dec 29th!! Very excited and scared too at the same time.
    I'm 35 and worried that we'll have difficulty/ not be able to have a baby. I've mentioned this to my GP and she said that I'm worrying in advance and that there is no reason why it shouldn't happen. She also said that I'm more likely to conceive in the first few months after coming off the Pill.
    I have no family history (for what its worth) of my sisters having difficulty conceiving and my mum had 6 of us. I also had to have a pelvic scan a couple of years ago and everything looked perfect according to the doctor who read it.
    Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing? I've been taking folic acid, don't have any extra weight to loose, exercise could be picked up a little but its not totally absent, I don't smoke, eat healthily, drink moderately.
    I know I'm probably being silly but its very hard not to think about it. :o

Angel, try not too get too hooked up too soon. I know that's easier said than done but charting and temping (in my experience) can get so tedious and it definitely can have a knock on effect.

Barbie, I'm sorry things didn't go well for you xx I need to be referred for a HSG. I reckon my working ovary and tube have cysts again :(

Penny, you sound set to go! Health weight and diet are great things to have going into TTC

Ah Barbie don't be so hard on yourself, if it was too painful it wasn't your fault. Maybe next time ask for something to take the edge off the pain?

Lucyfur - I do try, but being a medico-science nerd I'm hopeless at just going with the flow!

• Advertisement

Ah Barbie don't be so hard on yourself, if it was too painful it wasn't your fault. Maybe next time ask for something to take the edge off the pain?

Lucyfur - I do try, but being a medico-science nerd I'm hopeless at just going with the flow!

I hear ya! I'm the very same;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement