Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling and grammar errors on CVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's the way of the world these days.. easier just to except it.

Maybe in your world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I cant help wonder who's worse, Someone who hasn't proof read their CV so that its free on spelling and grammar mistakes or the agency or HR department person who isn't doing their job vetting these CV's properly and calling these slack jawed yokels for interview.

I'm so old..

No you're not.

I don't give people an interview if they can't spell words correctly on their respective cvs.

Think about it for a second. To spell stuff badly, you need to ignore the red lines under the words as you do your cv. Even without a spell-checker an educated person can fix their spelling. There's just no excuse for poor spelling - especially on a cv.

While this might seem naziesque, in my experience, people who can spell are far better employees than people who can't. I have never met a person who could spell but who was also ****e at his job. I've also never met a poor speller who was good - but i do expect that such people exist.

Spelling/grammar is a dying art but people who can do it always get first preference from me with regard to interviews because it's only the top 5th percentile that can do it these days. If I'm hiring people, I want the best that I can get and spelling is a really good indicator of quality. Someone who can't tell the difference between "their" and "they're" will not be a good programmer because the job requires precision in the use of language.

Poor spelling is also the preserve of the c-student. These are the people in your class who couldn't name the capital of Norway. While these guys are probably good at discussing whether or not Suarez is a racist, they might not be able to join a conversation about how json is a fad and that xml is superior.

These are hard times and there aren't many jobs available so it makes sense to disregard poor spellers. Poor spellers can be tolerated on boards.ie but in the real world (outside of teaching, at least) they shouldn't be.

From my point of view as an employer, I won't be hiring people who can't spell. I know it's an old-fashioned idea but I really don't know how it became acceptable not to be able to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Years ago when I was working in a restaurant, a Spanish lad with very little English came in looking for any jobs. I could see the manager looking at his CV with a bit of a puzzled look, and asked if someone had helped him put it together. He told her that his flatmate helped. Under Hobbies/ Pastimes, the prick had put 'Bestiality.' The manager very kindly explained what this meant and sent him on his way as no jobs were available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

While this might seem naziesque, in my experience, people who can spell are far better employees than people who can't. I have never met a person who could spell but who was also ****e at his job. I've also never met a poor speller who was good - but i do expect that such people exist.

Oh yes. I've met plumbers, carpenters, builders and artists who were superb at their jobs but couldn't spell 'cat'. Yeats was notoriously a dreadful speller, but he was a wonderful poet. I imagine there are great programmers who can't spell at all.

But there's a difference between people whose dyslexia prevents them from spelling well and people who are too sloppy to bother with spelling and grammar, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I imagine there are great programmers who can't spell at all.

#inlcude <iosream.h>

void mnai(vido)
    {
    std::ctou << "y u no compile?" << std::endl;
    }

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    #inlcude <iosream.h>

void mnai(vido)
    {
    std::ctou << "y u no compile?" << std::endl;
    }

#include <eeeeek.h>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's spelling and grammatical errors.

"Grammar errors" is also correct, as a compound noun, and not the adjective + noun construction of "grammatical errors."
    endacl wrote: »
    If one may also be a pedantic smartarse....

The plural of 'CV', is not CV's, or CVs.

Its CV.

Curriculum Vitae becomes Curricula Vitae.

I'm bored. Thanks for your time.

You can add the "s" for the plural. It is Latin, but it's being used as an English word, so you can use the standard English form of pluralisation. Like the way you can say "forums" as well as "fora."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I went through about 50 last week. Apostrophes in the wrong place I don't mind so much, and inconsistencies in capitalisation.

But if I see stuff like 'loose' instead of 'lose' (which happens a lot) , or the wrong use of there / their or your/ you're, they are straight in the bin. It is pretty basic stuff....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have never met a person who could spell but who was also ****e at his job. I've also never met a poor speller who was good - but i do expect that such people exist.
    Oh god I have.
    Someone who can't tell the difference between "their" and "they're" will not be a good programmer because the job requires precision in the use of language.
    I'd tend to agree with that.
    Poor spelling is also the preserve of the c-student. These are the people in your class who couldn't name the capital of Norway.
    Maybe, but going on that logic you'd turn down Einstein, DaVinci, Shakespeare, Edison, Henry Ford and Yeats for a job. While "their" instead of "there" makes me twitch a little and "I seen" makes me want to kick my fcuking screen in, I'd give much more leeway than some. I suppose it depends on the job involved. Yes, I'd be more anal about it if I was hiring cubicle drones for clerical work, than if I was hiring people for more independent thinking/creative positions.

On the spelling of "Mediterranean"? I'd be pretty sure I'd know more than the average, if not most about the geological, geographic, social and political history of the area and I'd have to really think to get the spelling right. I'd likely get it wrong, more than I wouldn't and frustration over this would probably have me write down "Mare Nostrum" and be done with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We often get CVs from people who translated their CV through Google translate. It usually makes no sense and the sad thing is our job specs are in English.

• Advertisement

Thing is, English grammar is important - but it's important not as an anally-retentive straitjacket on meaning, but as a fluid and expressive channel of meaning. That said, it's just good manners to spell correctly.

I don't think I'd give Einstein, Da Vinci, Shakespeare, Edison, Henry Ford and Yeats a job; a cross-grained bunch, quite apart from their spelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

c da ting is dat peeple don no how 2 us spel checker LOL :)

The odd thing about those silly mistakes to me is that near every time you type something a little line comes up under your mistake and sits there sort of waving at you, some of the newer programs will fix them automatically there really is no excuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Spellcheck only shows up words that do not exist. It will not point out that collage is not the correct spelling for college as collage is a word itself.

I'd have thought that the spell checker would take a little context into consideration?

e.g: I attended collage is obviously nonsensical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was reading an article in Spiegel today about non-germans sending CVs/application letters through google-translate type german:
    http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/jobundberuf/zitate-des-tages-ich-bin-an-ihrer-bequemlichkeit-vorhanden-a-326492.html
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

One job I had to do in work experience many moons ago was to shred all the CVs that had been left in to the company in the previous few years. The state of some of these things.

From CVs scrawled in pencil on a page torn out of an old school copybook, to one which was bound and laminated and had attached a cover letter saying 'this is my only copy of the CV and I would be grateful if you would return it' - which I found gathering dust in a filing cabinet of course, the whole lot went into the shredder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

To be quite honest, most companies ask you to invest a minimum of 2 hours applying for their position to only give you 2 minutes consideration if that. That being said, a CV template properly checked shouldn't be too taxing at all. Employers get what they solicit, which is a mass of applications it's a bit chicken and egg but what's the point on paying due care and attention if like the above has said you CV just gets shredded?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    To be quite honest, most companies ask you to invest a minimum of 2 hours applying for their position to only give you 2 minutes consideration if that. That being said, a CV template properly checked shouldn't be too taxing at all. Employers get what they solicit, which is a mass of applications it's a bit chicken and egg but what's the point on paying due care and attention if like the above has said you CV just gets shredded?

Sure why bother applying at all? Live a comfortable life on the dole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't know why boards seems to get these threads along the lines of "I am responsible for hiring people and I am shocked at the quality of applicants/ bad spelling/ amount of applicants who prefer being on the dole; whatever.

For an awful lot of positions, as well as in a lot of endeavours quite generally, ability to spell specific words the same way as everybody else is really of a very dubious importance.

I cannot understand a preoccupation with the idea that all spellings must exactly resemble one another - spellings being, in many ways, such artificial constructions to begin with.

I would support a much more phonetic and less rigidly homogenous means of written communication which takes account of how individuals actually speak. It might even make for a far richer and more interesting literary output.
    That's going to be question 11 of our test. The ability to spell [Mediterranean] displays skills in latin, grammar, conjugaation and few cúnts could spell it.
    Conjugation? Conjugate what?

Secondly, there's only one a in conjugation. I'm not a grammar nazi, just pointing out an irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I really don't get this overly relaxed attitude towards grammar and spelling on CVs shown by some posters.

It's your CV. It's your showpiece, your advertisement, to your potential employers. For most people their employment is all they have to sell, all they have to offer to get them through life. To make money. To have a career. To build a life.
    Also in most cases all that's there to be entered into the initial sieving process that is hiring, is their CV. The one thing that makes the difference or not in many cases.
    So can we agree that it's a pretty important document?
    A document worth being a little diligent with? A document worth spending a little time and effort on?

I can fully understand when people dismiss applicants on the grounds of them not realising the above or simply not giving a **** or simply being to stupid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plane lee marques four my revue
    Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
    Your sure reel glad two no
    It's vary polished in it's weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing
    It freeze yew lodes of thyme
    It helps me awl stiles two reed
    And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
    Of witch won should be proud
    And wee mussed dew the best wee can
    Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
    is checked with such grate flare
    Their are know faults with in my cite
    Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays come posed up on my screen
    Eye trussed to be a joule
    The chequer poured o'er every word
    To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse
    My righting wants too pleas
    Sow now ewe sea wye aye dew prays
    Such soft wear for pea seas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ill think of you when Im writing my thesis!
    You could start saving up for some apostrophes or a new keyboard :pac:
    who were superb at their jobs but couldn't spell 'cat'. .... I imagine there are great programmers who can't spell at all.

http://lolcode.com/
    HAI
    CAN HAS STDIO?
    PLZ OPEN FILE "LOLCATS.TXT"?
    	AWSUM THX
    		VISIBLE FILE
    	O NOES
    		INVISIBLE "ERROR!"
    KTHXBYE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

What are people's feelings towards dyslexia sufferers would you refuse to hire them?

It stands to reason you would be prejudiced against them if you hold grammatical and spelling skills in such high esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What are people's feelings towards dyslexia sufferers would you refuse to hire them?

It stands to reason you would be prejudiced against them if you hold grammatical and spelling skills in such high esteem.
    I've proofed CV for several friends with dyslexia. And some without. And have had friends look over mine. A common sense procedure surely?

Yes. I would reject that application. Based on the fact that they didn't check it. Or have it checked. Dyslexia wouldn't come into it. Not a prejudice against dyslexics. Absolutely a prejudice against sloppiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It is not grammatical and spelling skills that are the problem per se.....more that the applicant hasn't paid any attention to the CV and got it proof read at the very least. There is nothing to stop you getting some help when putting together a CV. I get mine proof read by others to check that it reads well.

The dyslexia wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but if someone with dyslexia didn't have the cop-on to get their CV proof read then it doesn't bode well for their general level of initiative.

I would expect dyslexia to be raised at interview, not put right out there front and centre from the first viewing of the CV. Like other posters have said, your CV is your one and only sales document....so why not get it right. There's no excuse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You are totally missing the point. The reason I personally would knock an applicant for having loads of mistakes on their CV is not because they can't spell, it's because they can't be arsed making sure that the thing is right before they send it in.

I personally don't hold grammatical and spelling skills in particularly high esteem, but I do value attention to detail, and resourcefulness as should any employer.

If spelling is not your forté, then you should solicit the assistance of someone whose forté it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

endacl wrote: »
    I've proofed CV for several friends with dyslexia. And some without. And have had friends look over mine. A common sense procedure surely?

Yes. I would reject that application. Based on the fact that they didn't check it. Or have it checked. Dyslexia wouldn't come into it. Not a prejudice against dyslexics. Absolutely a prejudice against sloppiness.

What i am saying is that person is not going to have the written communication standard that most on here seem to require.

Regardless of a C.V, if a skill is so important, then it is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I'm no Grammar Nazi but I've noticed that a huge amount of people mispell ''their'' and ''they're'' with ''there'' and vice versa in all areas of the internet and on writing is just mad.

If I were hiring, I'd expect applicants to have good spelling skills, and not just on their CV's. It's really isn't rocket science. The odd and innocent spelling mistakes happen to everyone but on a CV, you should be taking care in spelling for the same reason why you should wear a suit into an interview, to show you're serious about the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What i am saying is that person is not going to have the written communication standard that most on here seem to require.
    Didn't you read the three responses above yours?*

* reading skills. Also Important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I worked in a place a while back that had a load of retail branches throughout the country. Most of the staff in them were young (mid to early twenties) college graduates. And you wouldn't dream of letting them communicate with a customer in writing. They simply weren't allowed to, because most of them couldn't put a simple letter together to save their lives. Spelling, grammar, punctuation - all horrific. And the internal emails (not to each other - raising issues with other internal departments etc) would frighten the life out of you. All college educated, and a frightening amount still unable to communicate in writing at anything beyond a basic level. It was such an eye opener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Dyslexia has nothing to do with grammar - it impacts a person's ability to read.

My little brother is dyslexic and he is impeccable when it comes to spelling.

Advertisement