Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

dlofnep wrote: »
    You ignored the rest of my post which addressed all of the above. I've no time for lazy people, you've earned your place on my ignore list.

Am I on your ignore list too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

9959 wrote: »
    Am I on your ignore list too?

No, you're not. To answer your question - No, I've never viewed the north as an individual country. I view it as a core part of the Irish nation, that is under administration from Britain. Slightly veering off-topic now however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

9959 wrote: »
    "The United Kingdom is responsible for the island's defence and ultimately for good governance...."
    So sorta, kinda a country.
    You know, it seems to me that the Isle of Man and Irish have much in common, they're both fictitious legal constructs and money disappears in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

No, you're not. To answer your question - No, I've never viewed the north as an individual country. I view it as a core part of the Irish nation, that is under administration from Britain. Slightly veering off-topic now however.

Gotcha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

opti0nal wrote: »
    You know, it seems to me that the Isle of Man and Irish have much in common, they're both fictitious legal constructs and money disappears in them.

If the Isle of Man is fictitious, what is this? http://mappery.com/maps/Isle-of-Man-roads-Map.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

An Coilean wrote: »
    If the Isle of Man is fictitious, what is this? https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

You don't read the posts you reply to, do you?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You don't read the posts you reply to, do you?

Of course I do, The Isle of Man is clearly not a fictitious legal construct, in that it is neither fictitious, nor a legal construct.
    Its an Island. The political administration may be a Legal construct, but no more so than any other political administration, and Legal construct or not, its not fictitious.

Edit: Stoopid link was supposed to link to the Isle of Man

If the Isle of Man is fictitious, what is this? https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    In the sense, that like Irish, it's an artificial entity maintained by a legal fiction.

In the sense, that like Irish, it's an artificial entity maintained by a legal fiction.

What fiction? :confused:

And if it changed, the Isle of man would still be there, Its a feckin Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He's trolling - Just stick him on ignore and save yourself the energy.

• Advertisement

Of course I do, The Isle of Man is clearly not a fictitious legal construct, in that it is neither fictitious, nor a legal construct.
    Its an Island. The political administration may be a Legal construct, but no more so than any other political administration, and Legal construct or not, its not fictitious.

Edit: Stoopid link was supposed to link to the Isle of Man

He questioned the status of the island. You linked to map, meaning that you beleived him to be questioning the existance of the island itself. It's not like "Lost".

What fiction? :confused:

And if it changed, the Isle of man would still be there, Its a feckin Island.
    The fiction that it is an independent entity.

Now, lets translate that to the situation of Irish, if we changed the laws, it would still be there, Ireland would still be here and we would all speak English just as we do now.

The only thing that would be different is that the fictional status of Irish would be stripped away and it would exist in an environment of truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder do politicians ever read these threads? and might Ruairi Quinn (Minister for Education and Skills)
    be interested in this discussion, and the findings of this poll?

Do you Speak Irish?

Often 115 18.17%
    Sometimes 152 24.01%
    Never 366 57.82%

Results as at 10.07pm, on the 01st/ November.

The fiction that it is an independent entity.

Who claimed this? :confused::confused:

Who claimed this? :confused::confused:
    I did. It's not an independent country in the cultural or economic sense. Just like Irish is not a national language in the real world.

Both do strange things with money.

I did. It's not an independent country in the cultural or economic sense. Just like Irish is not a national language in the real world.

Both do strange things with money.

Not the question I asked, Who claimed it was an independant country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Neither Sea, nor Tá are later. Neither mean Yes either.

Sea, comming from 'Is ea' means 'it is',
    Tá - 'Tá mé'/'Táim', means 'I am', both can be used for Yes in certain situations, depends on the question.

The situation is not helped by lazy/uninformed teachers when asked what the Irish for Yes is, saying Sea.
    Indeed, but that was my point AC. They have often become to mean yes, but aren't yes like in English(or dutch, german, spanish etc). Just like in Latin. Both speakers would come back with a contextual response to a question. Irish/Latin "are you awake? I am(awake). Is it cooked? It is", rather than a definitive yes or no. TBH I prefer it, though the addition of yes or no is a handy in a language if you want to be slightly more definitive. Funny enough more Romans spoke Greek as a lingua Franca(IIRC correctly ancient Greek is more definitive and freewheeling), reserving Latin for more high falutin, more precise and binding discourse. Maybe that how we should approach Irish. I say bring back full on Bardic Irish with it's heavy duty complexity and use English as the Greek. Jesus can you imagine the school system :D That's a course I'd sign up to(and defo fail...)
    Gluaisteán dosen't mean fast thing, It comes from the Irish 'Gluais' Meaning move/glide
    Other related words would be Gluaiseacht - Movement(Political)

Gluaisteán is really a translation of Automobile. Its a recent made up word, but then again, so is Automobile.
    OK not fast thing, rather moving thing(but implying speed). I'd prefer Carr. Better to say, "yea that's ours(and the Gauls) ya fecker". :)
    While i'm on it, why when discussing this topic, do some people say 'Thats only a made-up word' as if that means something, every word was made up.:confused:
    Oh very true, but there's a difference between a naturally occuring "made up" word and one designed by committee(in Kerry a committaaaay). The French can be mad crazy biscuits on that score. They have sit down meetings to discuss how to Franco up a borrowed word and get right pissed off if the actual French people ignore them. French language zealots make the most spittle flecked Chucky spouting Gaelgoir with a Fainne prince Albert through his bellend you could regret to find look like a wishy washy liberal. :D
    Yawn.

Irish spans three different countries. Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Mann. All three nations have a language derived from a primitive form of Irish (Gaeilge, Gaidhlig and Gaelg respectively).
    I'd add Welsh to that D. Go back 1500 years and it's likely an Irishman, Scot, manx and Welsh could get more than the general gist of each other. Though maybe not... I recall the venerable Bede when he listed the languages about in his time - Irish, Saxon(english), Pictish, British and Latin - British was proto modern Welsh so there seemed to be a distinction at that stage.
    It sure is, and contrary to popular belief - it's not actually a part of the UK. It's what is known as a self-governing British Crown dependency.
    One of the oldest if not the oldest parliaments in the world IIRC.

I'd say not as popular, but it seems to be gaining popularity over the last number of years. Quite a few groups forming around Glasgow and Edinburgh. It's spoken mostly as the majority language on the Hebrides (Scotland's equivalent to the Aran Islands), and is very strong there. Outside of that, it only has a few pockets of speakers here and there - but Gaidhlig schools are gaining support.
    Funny enough, it seems it gained ground waaaay back in the day, because of the influence of Irish colonies and especially Irish monastic types coming into the "land of the Scots", such that the old Pictish languages went the way of all flesh. Even the name Scotland is as much down to us Paddies making the place our own or being associated with us. Look at someone like the philosopher and all around mad bastid John Scottus(the monk on the old punt fiver). His full name was Johannes Scotus Eriugena. Scottus was the overall term in Latin for Irish, either by birth or regional influence. Eriugena is added to cement his Irishness. It translates as Irish born(generated by Eriu, the old name for hereabouts and IIRC a pre Celtic language word to boot).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

He's trolling - Just stick him on ignore and save yourself the energy.

Fighting a losing battle just like all the Irish Language Hawks.

Usual story.:rolleyes:

Ignore reason & badger the Govt of the day into your version of reality.

Nice to know that my USC & other income taxes goes into paying for your hobbyhorse & Paveepoint & all the other pressure groups that drain the decent people of Ireland.

The actual people who keep Ireland running.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice to know that my USC & other income taxes goes into paying for your hobbyhorse & Paveepoint & all the other pressure groups that drain the decent people of Ireland.

The actual people who keep Ireland running.
    Yea I DO get your point and yes there are some daft "pressure group"s doing the rounds who take up far too much of our collective time and money and yes I would agree Irish is for a minority.

However, I do like that even with all the BS we still have some semblance and knowledge of it imparted to us. Even if it's just to ignore as irrelevant half of the government missals that pop through our letterbox. Even if we choose to ignore it or pay lip service to it I'm happier that it's still there as some sort of a presence.

I'd really hate to see it go entirely, or down to a couple of thousand hobbyists, put it that way. TBH I couldn't abide it in school, but I'm kinda glad retrospectively that it was part of the background. Though I can't begin to claim any fluency it informed me as a person. I hated Latin too as a school kid and couldn;t begin to claim any fluency, but I'm now glad I did it. With Irish I couldn't be arsed now, but I'm glad some -even if it's a minority - can be arsed. With Latin? Damn handy in Spain and Italy. While I may be all adrift in general convo signs and such do make more sense and if I ever ended up living in either country I'd have a heads up.

I figure with education that even if seeds are planted an don't grow a decent crop, some seeds do germinate. That said if I could go back in time and shoot Peig in the face with a pump action, I would :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea I DO get your point and yes there are some daft "pressure group"s doing the rounds who take up far too much of our collective time and money and yes I would agree Irish is for a minority.

However, I do like that even with all the BS we still have some semblance and knowledge of it imparted to us. Even if it's just to ignore as irrelevant half of the government missals that pop through our letterbox. Even if we choose to ignore it or pay lip service to it I'm happier that it's still there as some sort of a presence.

I'd really hate to see it go entirely, or down to a couple of thousand hobbyists, put it that way. TBH I couldn't abide it in school, but I'm kinda glad retrospectively that it was part of the background. Though I can't begin to claim any fluency it informed me as a person. I hated Latin too as a school kid and couldn;t begin to claim any fluency, but I'm now glad I did it. With Irish I couldn't be arsed now, but I'm glad some -even if it's a minority - can be arsed. With Latin? Damn handy in Spain and Italy. While I may be all adrift in general convo signs and such do make more sense and if I ever ended up living in either country I'd have a heads up.

I figure with education that even if seeds are planted an don't grow a decent crop, some seeds do germinate. That said if I could go back in time and shoot Peig in the face with a pump action, I would :D

Hated Latin myself too. It was dung.

I don't hate the Irish language, no more than Irish music, GAA, etc......

In school, though, it's THE LAW.

My kids learn it & even though I know it's dung, I can't discourage them from learning it.

Sticks in my Craw though.............

• Advertisement

I don't hate the Irish language, no more than Irish music, GAA, etc......

In school, though, it's THE LAW.

My kids learn it & even though I know it's dung, I can't discourage them from learning it.

Sticks in my Craw though.............

I am aware that its pedantic to say it, Irish IS compulsory, but its not the Law, there is no law. None that says Irish is compulsory, seriously, look it up, I did.

I am aware that its pedantic to say it, Irish IS compulsory, but its not the Law, there is no law. None that says Irish is compulsory, seriously, look it up, I did.

Seriously!

I hate the thing that my kids are exposed to this Charade of stupidity.

Still, I spose, there's some catch to it somewhere.

I'll look it up though.

Thanks.:)

You are being pedantic,and this distracts from the appalling facts of the matter. Decades have now passed, literally millions of children forced to learn Irish and a net outcome for each child, after 13 years, is a memory of about 10 phrases, spoken rarely. This not a failure in teaching, it is a failure to accept the reality that we are an English-speaking nation.
    Mary Hanafin (Minister, Department of Education and Science; Dún Laoghaire, Fianna Fail)
    ...In accordance with the rules and programme for secondary schools, the approved course for the established leaving certificate must include Irish ....
    Rule 46 of the rules and programme for secondary schools and in my Department’s Circular Letter M10/94 make provision for exemption from the study of Irish in limited special circumstances.
    And, let's not forget, that in addition to these compulsory rules, there are laws too, forcing the use of Irish in all English-speaking parts of the country.

Rule 46 of the rules and programme for secondary schools and in my Department’s Circular Letter M10/94 make provision for exemption from the study of Irish in limited special circumstances.

It's a shame one of those provisions isn't a complete lack of interest. (And no - this is not an attack on the language, just a desire to see common sense and students treated like intelligent human beings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

I don't hate the Irish language

Your posts make me want to vomit & only reinforce my hatred of the Irish language

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Where? School, seminary?

gbee wrote: »
    Where? School, seminary?

Knockbeg. I was a pupil there at the first end of the '80s.

In it's day 'twas a 'feeder' school to St Pats Seminary, nearby in Carlow.

I wasn't Priest material, I'm proud to say.:cool: '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

In it's day 'twas a 'feeder' school to St Pats Seminary, nearby in Carlow..:cool: '

Coláiste Chríost Rí circa 1969, first of the free secondary education, my mother was from Carlow. Flunked Latin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

The moderator's response to my post is particularly telling. He tries to make an invisible divide in Ireland between speakers of different languages and speakers of English.

Being Irish is not defined by your native tongue. It's how you personally identify yourself. I have friends that speak Polish natively but consider themselves just as Irish as ourselves.

Unlike the moderator, I do not hold animosity towards people in Ireland that speak a different language. I embrace it and want these languages to survive. Why not teach Polish and Mandarin in schools? Ireland is not an Anglican Utopia as the xenophobic moderator likes to believe.

This thread really uncovers the posters that genuinely have issues with anything to do with Irish culture. They can't bear to see Irish used in the public realm and they detest people speaking it.

As I often say, it's better to be happy speaking two languages than bitterly shouting in one. Perhaps the xenophobic moderator here will learn something from that.

Heh.

• Advertisement

The moderator's response to my post is particularly telling. He tries to make an invisible divide in Ireland between speakers of different languages and speakers of English.

Being Irish is not defined by your native tongue. It's how you personally identify yourself. I have friends that speak Polish natively but consider themselves just as Irish as ourselves.

Unlike the moderator, I do not hold animosity towards people in Ireland that speak a different language. I embrace it and want these languages to survive. Why not teach Polish and Mandarin in schools? Ireland is not an Anglican Utopia as the xenophobic moderator likes to believe.

This thread really uncovers the posters that genuinely have issues with anything to do with Irish culture. They can't bear to see Irish used in the public realm and they detest people speaking it.

As I often say, it's better to be happy speaking two languages than bitterly shouting in one. Perhaps the xenophobic moderator here will learn something from that.

Heh.

eh.... which post and which moderator for a start...?

"Unlike the moderator, I do not hold animosity towards people in Ireland that speak a different language" - eh, no... of course not... You just think we all put wear bowler hats, carry "brollies" and love the Biritsh Queen for some reason...

"As I often say, it's better to be happy speaking two languages than bitterly shouting in one." Ye-ah... you haven't shouted a word bitterly since this thread began....

Advertisement