Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hopefully, but it remains to be seen if he can make the step up. As international frontrows go, he's very small. I don't think he is much bigger than Lee Mears for example.

I've sat beside him a few times. That lad takes up two seats, and it's pure muscle. He'll relish going up against anything infront of him.

Keep in mind he started life as an openside flanker, he's done well to mould himself into a hooker's body.

(that sounded wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Swiwi wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF5iHVG21BOlgNyPSUu5RMz3IQmDGbY6U0G3PeTxiN73ZTZf6n

Someone needs to wrap Ferris in this. He's more brittle than porcelain in recent times - sadly, because he's a fine player.

If he lasts beyond 30 I'll be surprised. A glass cannon if ever there was one. Fantastic player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see a full season from Ferris again (as in 25-30 games in a season). If he's carefully managed we might get a few more seasons out of him for Ireland but that's it.

Real shame because as an athlete/physical presence on the field we've never had anyone like him. Nearest thing would be David Wallace and I'd say Ferris was faster and stronger than Wallace, which is saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Hopefully, but it remains to be seen if he can make the step up. As international frontrows go, he's very small. I don't think he is much bigger than Lee Mears for example.

They said the same about Kevvy Mealamu (originally a loose forward by trade). 100 games for the ABs later - and still going strong - Kevvy is having the last laugh. Size isn't everything, it's more how you use what you've got ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

danthefan wrote: »
    Sadly I don't think we'll ever see a full season from Ferris again (as in 25-30 games in a season). If he's carefully managed we might get a few more seasons out of him for Ireland but that's it.

Real shame because as an athlete/physical presence on the field we've never had anyone like him. Nearest thing would be David Wallace and I'd say Ferris was faster and stronger than Wallace, which is saying something.

That's unfair on Wally, because Ferris isn't actually a human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Swiwi wrote: »
    They said the same about Kevvy Mealamu (originally a loose forward by trade). 100 games for the ABs later - and still going strong - Kevvy is having the last laugh. Size isn't everything, it's more how you use what you've got ;)

At the same time Mealamu is a couple of inches taller than Strauss and around a stone heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Strauss is a ninja at the breakdown and his size really helps him there, incredibly powerful guy. I would be surprised if his size really hinders him, especially considering he has shown himself to be more than a match for international quality opposition on many occasions, but you never know I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I see people are saying Healy is likely out now? Is that based on anything solid?

We could almost put together a pretty good team made up of all the injured players atm...

15. Kearney
    14. Allen
    13. BOD
    12. Downey
    11. Fitzgerald
    8. Coughlan
    7. O'Brien
    6. Ferris
    5. POC
    4. Stevenson
    3. Fitzpatrick
    2. Best
    1. Healy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

So O Halloran has been called up. Purely as a bag holder?

Why hasn't Gilroy been called up? Looks ready to have a feel for the squad imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Prick! wrote: »

He has been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Prick! wrote: »

They're both in the squad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

My bad, just presumed with all the players picked for Ireland not playing for Ulster last night (and Gilroy playing) that he wasn't picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

BBC site is saying Archer has been called up to the squad now............

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

As an Ulster fan it goes without saying that I'm a huge Hendo fan. I genuinely think that if he stays fit he'll win 100 caps...that's a big call but there you go...however I wouldn't be stating against S.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I won't be able to do match previews over the autumn, so if anyone wants to write stuff that would be cool!

I'll do a few if I get the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Full-Back bag holder required, Madigan still omitted in favour of Hurley. I'll keep flogging a dead donkey, because whatever about Jackson, he's been very solid at full-back and Hurley has no international future, it's beyond a joke he's not in the squad.

Not long ago people from all corners were talking about him as second choice for Ireland, now some think Jackson should be ahead of him and now with a 15 backup required he's still omitted...it's quite simply farcical.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Full-Back bag holder required, Madigan still omitted in favour of Hurley. I'll keep flogging a dead donkey, because whatever about Jackson, he's been very solid at full-back and Hurley has no international future, it's beyond a joke he's not in the squad.

Not long ago people from all corners were talking about him as second choice for Ireland, now some think Jackson should be ahead of him and now with a 15 backup required he's still omitted...it's quite simply farcical.

I think it's very hard to make an argument that Madigan should be included over Jackson tbh

Jackson is playing in position, he's probably the form 10 in Ireland right now, and is a more rounded player than Madigan too.

I'd even go as far to say that Keatley deserves to be in the squad ahead of Madigan if it was a straight choice between the two of them for the back up to Jackson and Sexton

I've great time for Madigan, and I think he could really be something special. But the Kearney injury hasn't done him any favors in terms of pressuring Kidney for International selection. He's not a fullback. He can fill in alright, but he's a ten and should be playing there consistently.

If Keatley and Jackson become first choice for Ulster and Munster respectively. It might be hard for Madigan to get a call up whoever the coach is if he's still not starting the big games at 10 for Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The Jackson thing has been done to death, but the point is he should be in the Irish squad and isn't.

O'Gara, in my opinion, is currently 4th choice Irish 10, or at least should be, he's in serious trouble at Munster, as a 10 Madigan has been catching the eye long before Jackson or Keatley and has been starting Heineken Cup and League games at 15 and has looked good.

You can look for all the excuses not to include him, but they are outwieghed 10 to 1 on reasons why he should be included.

If he wore red he'd have been capped more than once by now, and that is a fact.

The Jackson thing has been done to death, but the point is he should be in the Irish squad and isn't.

O'Gara, in my opinion, is currently 4th choice Irish 10, or at least should be, he's in serious trouble at Munster, as a 10 Madigan has been catching the eye long before Jackson or Keatley and has been starting Heineken Cup and League games at 15 and has looked good.

You can look for all the excuses not to include him, but they are outwieghed 10 to 1 on reasons why he should be included.

If he wore red he'd have been capped more than once by now, and that is a fact.

O Gara shouldn't be in the squad that's a given. but tbh It would be a tight call for that third spot between Keatley and Madigan that would probably come down to form, and Keatley is playing well at the moment and starting consistently at 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Given Deccies previous decisions it's likely:

Doc
    Poc
    Ryan
    Pom
    Heaslip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hersheys wrote: »
    Given Deccies previous decisions it's likely:

Doc
    Poc
    Ryan
    Pom
    Heaslip
    Ah, the ever important 5.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks12 wrote: »

O Gara shouldn't be in the squad that's a given. but tbh It would be a tight call for that third spot between Keatley and Madigan that would probably come down to form, and Keatley is playing well at the moment and starting consistently at 10

Assuming ROG is on the way out and that Sexton is the nailed on starter, then we should not be picking Jackson as back up. Madigan and Keatley have a versatility that Jackson does not, they may not be the best full backs on the planet but they can do a job there. Picking Jackson on the bench is as bad an idea as having ROG on the bench in recent years, it limits your options for changing the game.

Assuming ROG is on the way out and that Sexton is the nailed on starter, then we should not be picking Jackson as back up. Madigan and Keatley have a versatility that Jackson does not, they may not be the best full backs on the planet but they can do a job there. Picking Jackson on the bench is as bad an idea as having ROG on the bench in recent years, it limits your options for changing the game.

Madigan cannot manage a game. He has never shown any ability to do that. Until he starts to show any ability to be able to get his team out of trouble in a tight game he can't be let anywhere near the Irish replacement bench. It's nice for Leinster to be able to bring him on and give him an arm chair ride and let him do what he does better than a lot of 10s in Europe, but that's not really an option at international level.

Jackson is, in my opinion, better in nearly every facet of the game than Keatley (apart from defense). I don't see any reason to have Keatley ahead of him. I'd say some people might disagree with that, just my opinion. Jackson covers 10/12 as well as we've seen for Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Madigan cannot manage a game. He has never shown any ability to do that. Until he starts to show any ability to be able to get his team out of trouble in a tight game he can't be let anywhere near the Irish replacement bench. It's nice for Leinster to be able to bring him on and give him an arm chair ride and let him do what he does better than a lot of 10s in Europe, but that's not really an option at international level.

Jackson is, in my opinion, better in nearly every facet of the game than Keatley (apart from defense). I don't see any reason to have Keatley ahead of him. I'd say some people might disagree with that, just my opinion. Jackson covers 10/12 as well as we've seen for Ulster.

OK, I wasn't aware Jackson had any experienceat 12, that does change things.

I do think you're being very harsh on Madigan though; Sexton played 7 Rabo games last year and Leinster still topped the league at a canter, they couldn't have done that without a decent out-half. Madigan has plenty of natural ability and a great reading of the game, the rest will come in time.

[And I recoil in disgust at the concept of 'game management'; probably not what you meant but to me it's inextricably linked to kicking it into the corners, a tactic that should have gone out with the dinosaurs.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

[And I recoil in disgust at the concept of 'game management'; probably not what you meant but to me it's inextricably linked to kicking it into the corners, a tactic that should have gone out with the dinosaurs.]

Could not agree more. Whenever I see "game management" in a post these days I just stop reading. I'm convinced 95% of people don't even know what they mean when they use the term. Further to that if outhalf A plays rubbish for 75 minutes then kicks a great touchfinder into the corner and the team win, while outhalf B plays really well and just creates 5 tries for his team and they win at a canter, people seem to think outhalf A is the better "game manager", which is just patently nonsense.

Could not agree more. Whenever I see "game management" in a post these days I just stop reading. I'm convinced 95% of people don't even know what they mean when they use the term. Further to that if outhalf A plays rubbish for 75 minutes then kicks a great touchfinder into the corner and the team win, while outhalf B plays really well and just creates 5 tries for his team and they win at a canter, people seem to think outhalf A is the better "game manager", which is just patently nonsense.

I'd agree that a lot of people haven't a bog what good game management is. But it is a crucial part of a tens game, how he dictacts play and makes the right decisions more often than not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Luckily when I saw "game management" in yours I kept reading.

It's just a silly term for a flyhalf who knows when to kick, when to run, when to pass if you ask me. Simple on paper, but you'll agree some do it much better than others...

Shhhh, they have enough of our players....

Madigan has game management. He just uses his passing abilities to put backs into space. He can open up a game because of that. Just because his kicking from hand isn't 100% doesn't mean he can't orchestrate his team.

The latter issue could be a reason he isn't being selected. The other is probably because it would leave Leinster without ANY OH cover.

• Advertisement

OK, I wasn't aware Jackson had any experienceat 12, that does change things.

I do think you're being very harsh on Madigan though; Sexton played 7 Rabo games last year and Leinster still topped the league at a canter, they couldn't have done that without a decent out-half. Madigan has plenty of natural ability and a great reading of the game, the rest will come in time.

I wouldnt want Jackson playing 12 for Ireland. I certainly wouldnt want Madigan playing 15 for Ireland either.

That's not what game management means (I suppose we can blame casual ROG fans for ruining the concept!). And if it was, territorial kicking is still a very important part of the game. Territory is still one of the most important battles on the field. Not sure why in earth you think it should have gone out with the dinosaurs? It's still an important part of the game for all our provinces, even more so for the national team.

I really like Madigan. His passing game is just amazing and he's a good place kicker but I think his game suffers when games tighten up. He needs a lot more exposure in games like the Llanelli hammering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement