Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

6 POM
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

19 McLaughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

6 POM
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

19 McLaughlin

The Ferris injury might be a blessing in disguise actually, in that we'll get a far more balanced backrow than the likely POM at 7 choice we were facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sit it out Steven...

This x1000

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If he picks

6. McLoughlin
    7. POM
    8. Heaslip

I'll be so disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd leave him out...no point risking him.

POM to 6? I like him there, but he wouldn't be as physical, although he is fairly dynamic. But a real workhorse like Locky could be useful against someone like SA.

Locky is no more physical than POM though and I'd say that POM is more abrasive. We'll need Tuohy and Ryan to start in the secondrow to account for the loss of Ferris' intensity. It's probably too early for Henderson too, but hopefully he'll be an option for Aregentina if Ferris is still out.

It's a pity that Healy is out and Kilcoyne is still very green, because they would really help cover the loss of Ferris and SOB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I won't be able to do match previews over the autumn, so if anyone wants to write stuff that would be cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The Ferris injury might be a blessing in disguise actually, in that we'll get a far more balanced backrow than the likely POM at 7 choice we were facing.

Hmm...I dunno, POM is grand at 7 really. Not as good as Henry but I'd take a back row of

Ferris/POM/Heaslip over POM/Henry/Heaslip any day of the week. Simply because Ferris is that good.
    Locky is no more physical than POM though and I'd say that POM is more abrasive. We'll need Tuohy and Ryan to start in the secondrow to account for the loss of Ferris' intensity. It's probably too early for Henderson too, but hopefully he'll be an option for Aregentina if Ferris is still out.

It's a pity that Healy is out and Kilcoyne is still very green, because they would really help cover the loss of Ferris and SOB.

Well I reckon Locky is slightly more physical, but POM is more skilful. Not much in it really, I suppose. You're probably right about Tuohy and Ryan though. Strauss will probably help in that regard too.

Henderson against Argentina would be good.

Well I reckon Locky is slightly more physical, but POM is more skilful. Not much in it really, I suppose. You're probably right about Tuohy and Ryan though. Strauss will probably help in that regard too.

Henderson against Argentina would be good.

Hopefully, but it remains to be seen if he can make the step up. As international frontrows go, he's very small. I don't think he is much bigger than Lee Mears for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd imagine Kidney will go for
    6. McLaughlin
    7. POM
    8. Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

So would I be right in saying we are def missing

best
    kearny
    BOD
    SOB
    l fitz

and most likely

healy
    poc
    Fez
    Fitz

is that it? not much luck:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Locky is no more physical than POM though and I'd say that POM is more abrasive.

Locky is definitely more physical and much better suited to making "hard yards" than POM (while I would say POM is more skillful and better in open space). I think it should be noted that Locky outshone POM's performances down in NZ and if Kidney speak/"logic" is being used he is also "the incumbent".

I have no doubt Kidney will now definitely start POM though whether it be at 6 or undeservedly ahead of Henry at 7.

snow mad wrote: »
    So would I be right in saying we are def missing

best
    kearny
    BOD
    SOB
    l fitz

and most likely

healy
    poc
    Fez
    Fitz

is that it? not much luck:(

Who's the second Fitz?

Certainly not very lucky considering they are probably our best players. And we're not 100% about Earls either. Just lucky we still have Heaslip and Sexton...

Hmm...I dunno, POM is grand at 7 really. Not as good as Henry but I'd take a back row of

Ferris/POM/Heaslip over POM/Henry/Heaslip any day of the week. Simply because Ferris is that good.

Well I'd take a backrow of Ferris Henry Heaslip over all of those, though Kidney seems to want to shoe horn POM into the team at 7 for some reason which I don't understand. He doesn't play often there for Munster so what's to say he's international level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

6 Henderson
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

20 POM

Henderson is a horses for courses selection. POM and Henry starting together against Alberts and Co is an underpowered combination IMO.

Well I'd take a backrow of Ferris Henry Heaslip over all of those, though Kidney seems to want to shoe horn POM into the team at 7 for some reason which I don't understand. He doesn't play often there for Munster so what's to say he's international level?

Oh yeah, obviously but I don't think I'd ever call Ferris' injury a blessing in disguise since the team will be definitely weaker without him.

Who's the second Fitz?

Certainly not very lucky considering they are probably our best players. And we're not 100% about Earls either. Just lucky we still have Heaslip and Sexton...

Declan Fitzpatrick

Hype710 wrote: »
    6 Henderson
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

20 POM

Henderson is a horses for courses selection. POM and Henry starting together against Alberts and Co is an underpowered combination IMO.

Provided the course being the U20 WC you're on track. It would be crazy to lump in a 20 year old who has 6 senior appearances and is only learning to play blindside against the BOKs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I won't be able to do match previews over the autumn, so if anyone wants to write stuff that would be cool!
    Give Gerry Thornley a shout, I hear he's at a loose end these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Provided the course being the U20 WC you're on track. It would be crazy to lump in a 20 year old who has 6 senior appearances and is only learning to play blindside against the BOKs.

I don't care what age he is, if you're good enough etc. He's an incredibly physical player, driving players back in the tackle at senior level. He's not learning to play blindside; he played in the backrow in school and has underage representative experience there. Go in with an undersized backrow and we could be blown away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

GerM wrote: »
    They have to reduce to 26 players 4 days in advance of the game so basically the match day squad and some cover. Basically, it will be a full squad until the end of Tuesday at which point those surplus will be released if the club want him.

As there is no Premiership games for the next few weeks, Worcester wouldn't request it so Andress would have the full week like anyone else.

Yeah exactly. Even if they didn't want to play him, they could say that Andress is player #24 so is needed for cover, because the Irish clubs are never going to demand the return of their players.

So the argument that this is why Archer is involved does not hold water.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, obviously but I don't think I'd ever call Ferris' injury a blessing in disguise since the team will be definitely weaker without him.

Yeah sorry I meant in terms of backrow balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

Who's the second Fitz?

luke fitzgerald I no its long term but cant not mention a player of that class and declan fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well it couldn't be crazier than playing a SH with about as much experience as Henderson in a RWC quater final.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Hype710 wrote: »
    I don't care what age he is, if you're good enough etc. He's an incredibly physical player, driving players back in the tackle at senior level. He's not learning to play blindside; he played in the backrow in school and has underage representative experience there. Go in with an undersized backrow and we could be blown away.

Henry, POM and Heaslip are all ~6ft3 and ~17stone, I'd hardly call that undersized. South Africa is not the game to be throwing in a young player and seeing if he sinks or swims. By all means give him the Fiji game and include him against Argentina if he impresses there.

JRant wrote: »
    Well it couldn't be crazier than playing a SH with about as much experience as Henderson in a RWC quater final.

Was that Murray's first international appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Was that Murray's first international appearance?

First start, anyway.

But in fairness, he was brutal, so you're probably right about Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hopefully, but it remains to be seen if he can make the step up. As international frontrows go, he's very small. I don't think he is much bigger than Lee Mears for example.

Strauss has bulked up massively but his main skills are his mobility and his speed. He has has great hands for a hooker. He has been one of Leinster's star players for the last two years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hopefully he can. I agree with you that he is kind of small, but I think his size is an advantage when it comes to getting low over the ball at the breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF5iHVG21BOlgNyPSUu5RMz3IQmDGbY6U0G3PeTxiN73ZTZf6n

Someone needs to wrap Ferris in this. He's more brittle than porcelain in recent times - sadly, because he's a fine player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Lee Mears has over 40 England caps for the record, so his size was obviously not insurmountable.

Strauss has been brilliant for Leinster but losing Best is without doubt a huge blow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement