Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If its a shoot-out between an Archer who is ready to join the squad now and Hagan who will only be free by Monday, Archer wins every time.

They aren't training again until Monday, are they? So what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

They aren't training again until Monday, are they? So what difference does it make?

If so, Archer should still get the nod. He has shown an ability to improve and work on his game over the last year, Hagan has gotten worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Other than the fact that Andress won't know any calls and has discipline issues off the field, I don't think you can do that. From what I've seen about Premiership based players, you can call them up at the start of the week, but you have to make the decision whether or not they'll be involved by the Tuesday. If they aren't going to be involved, they have to be released back to their clubs.

If they are calling up a player in case Fitz doesn't make it or Bent isn't good enough, the only options are Archer, Hagan and Loughney. I'd have Loughney as the best of that bunch, but I think he has had injury issues recently? If its a shoot-out between an Archer who is ready to join the squad now and Hagan who will only be free by Monday, Archer wins every time.

Ahhh grand so, when Archer is getting absolutely annihilated in the scrum it'll all be grand because he knows the calls! Why didn't I think of that when I was posting before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If so, Archer should still get the nod. He has shown an ability to improve and work on his game over the last year, Hagan has gotten worse.

Hagan could continue to get worse (your opinion not mine) and Archer could continue to improve (your opinion not mine) right up to the end of this season and Archer would still be a significant step down from Hagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagan has improved IMO compared to this time last year.

They're both nowhere near good enough. We can only hope Ross stays fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hopefully none of them will have to play, but Hagan is significantly more experienced whatever way you look at it. Hagan has also clearly been working very hard on his fitness, his body shape looks completely different this season.

Hagz wrote: »
    Hagan could continue to get worse (your opinion not mine) and Archer could continue to improve (your opinion not mine) right up to the end of this season and Archer would still be a significant step down from Hagan.

Not really. Archer has being doing well enough in scrums this year. I'd say about half of his scrums have gone his way and he has blown through his opposition LH on occasion. He offers a much greater workrate than Hagan around the park too.

Neither are up to international (even HEC) rugby, but they're all we have (Loughney aside). I don't think anyone can honestly look at Archer and not see he has improved massively; he's still by no means good, but he isn't the same level of liability he once was.

danthefan wrote: »
    Ahhh grand so, when Archer is getting absolutely annihilated in the scrum it'll all be grand because he knows the calls! Why didn't I think of that when I was posting before?

I'm guessing you've ignored my point about it not being possible (I think) to call up Andress so late. Its to be expected. You read what you want to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭phog

They don't get much good news these days...

At least they give match reports unlike Leinster.

I'm guessing you've ignored my point about it not being possible (I think) to call up Andress so late. Its to be expected. You read what you want to read.

They can call up Andress, they could have him in the camp on Monday with a view to having him in the matchday squad. You have no point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

phog wrote: »
    At least they give match reports unlike Leinster.

Okay I give up. What am I missing here?

They can call up Andress, they could have him in the camp on Monday with a view to having him in the matchday squad. You have no point.

Your point was that we could call him up immediately before the game and it wouldn't matter that he didn't know the calls. I said we can not do that. You then proceeded to go off on your customary nonsensical tangent.

I assume that the IRFU are waiting on Fitz' fitness. If they won't know if he will be fit or not by Tuesday, there is no point calling up Andress and then having to play him over a better player. They'd also only get to see him train twice before adding him to the squad.

All most of us know about Andress are a couple of clips and his ability to big himself up in the press anyway. I don't think many have been watching him consistently over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

They don't get much good news these days...

ffs. You're quickly becoming the Leinster captain with that kind of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Not really. Archer has being doing well enough in scrums this year.

He has been consistently a liability as per usual in the scrums this year. His cameo against Ulster coincided with Munster being absolutely destroyed at the scrum. Perugini popped him repeatedly last week before going off. He popped out and was hanging for dear life against the mighty Cardiff 3rd choice last night in the closing minutes. Ryan Bevington gave him a roasting in Swansea. His stand out performance was against Treviso where the referee blew up before any contest developed.

He's not the 3rd cousin, twice removed of an international prop. The only reason he should be within a 10 mile radius of Carton House is because they couldn't think of a heavier person to sit on the other side of the scrum machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Andress over Archer is a no brainer

While I remain hopeful that Archer can be a good option for Munster in the rabo, can't see him ever becoming an international standard prop

All most of us know about Andress are a couple of clips and his ability to big himself up in the press anyway. I don't think many have been watching him consistently over the last few years.

Andress isn't the second coming. He's not nearly good as the You Tube clip shows. He struggles now and again and gets his arse handed to him on occasion. He also gets on top of the opposition on occasion and is pretty good around the park.

He's a much better and more logical option than Archer or Hagan still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I don't get it. They can call up Andress or anyone else as we're in the international window.

Your point was that we could call him up immediately before the game and it wouldn't matter that he didn't know the calls. I said we can not do that. You then proceeded to go off on your customary nonsensical tangent.

I assume that the IRFU are waiting on Fitz' fitness. If they won't know if he will be fit or not by Tuesday, there is no point calling up Andress and then having to play him over a better player. They'd also only get to see him train twice before adding him to the squad.

Oh good lord. The 5 minute thing wasn't meant to be taken literally. I can't believe you actually took it literally and I didn't continue the conversation thinking anyone could possibly have taken it literally. It turns out I was mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

GerM wrote: »
    He has been consistently a liability as per usual in the scrums this year. His cameo against Ulster coincided with Munster being absolutely destroyed at the scrum. Perugini popped him repeatedly last week before going off. He popped out and was hanging for dear life against the mighty Cardiff 3rd choice last night in the closing minutes. Ryan Bevington gave him a roasting in Swansea. His stand out performance was against Treviso where the referee blew up before any contest developed.

He's not the 3rd cousin, twice removed of an international prop. The only reason he should be within a 10 mile radius of Carton House is because they couldn't think of a heavier person to sit on the other side of the scrum machine.

Ouch... :eek: But I'd have to agree.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Tongue in cheek, settle down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Attack the posts not the posters people. I think we're all getting a little wound up... over props! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fishooks12 wrote: »

It was clearly meant in jest. Chill out.

I don't get it. They can call up Andress or anyone else as we're in the international window.

They have to reduce to 26 players 4 days in advance of the game so basically the match day squad and some cover. Basically, it will be a full squad until the end of Tuesday at which point those surplus will be released if the club want him.

As there is no Premiership games for the next few weeks, Worcester wouldn't request it so Andress would have the full week like anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

molloyjh wrote: »

Would you say you pick on form or something else

I wouldn't like to say. Ideally you pick on form but there are times where you have to pick people based on other things.

ie. the color of you jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Stevie Ferris 50/50 for next Saturday according to anscombe.

Redsock wrote: »

If he doesn't train during the week, I'd almost like to see him used for impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

If he's 50/50,I'd rather see him miss this match than risk doing even more damage this early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Redsock wrote: »

To be honest that's incredible news at this stage...unless of course Kidney has asked MA to start the psychological warfare for him.

I'm not sure I'd start him anyway. He hasn't performed anywhere near his best yet this season. There were one or two positive runs last night before he went off but really I'd bench him and start POM and use him as impact in the last 20 and just concentrate on getting him ready for Argentina.

Sit it out Steven...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah, I'd leave him out...no point risking him.

POM to 6? I like him there, but he wouldn't be as physical, although he is fairly dynamic. But a real workhorse like Locky could be useful against someone like SA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement