Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Some of my Uncles & Grand-uncles fought in the British Army. That was the done thing in those days. I would happily wear a poppy in remembrance of their actions. I am also a proud Nationalist & feel no conflict whatsoever.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I usually buy one, but rarely wear it. Mainly because it'll either fall off, or get crumped and just look tatty.

Thousands of irish men and women have died in wars, including the 2 world wars, I have no issue commemorating them. I have family that fought in the world wars (like many on this island do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

awec wrote: »
    The IRA are lauded often enough on here so be careful you don't fall off that high horse there, you might hurt yourself.

Nice bit of whataboutery there.

Oh, and there were plenty of degenerate murderers running round wearing uniforms in the the north during the troubles - plenty in the green uniforms of the BA.
    More than 150 killings committed by soldiers during Northern Ireland's Troubles were never fully investigated because of an informal understanding between the police and the army.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/20/saville-inquiry-killings-soldiers-troubles-northern-ireland

Just remember that when you buy your poppy this year you might be helping out a murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

I would not wear a Poppy. Im irish, born Irish and have Irish parents.
    I realise a lot of Irish people were killed in the World Wars, but the fact is the money raised does not go to support these people; it goes to the Royal British Legion. I'm sure they do good things with the money, but there are Irish Charities I'd rather donate to.

If however, there were, lets say a *shamrock* that went to support the 3,600 Irish people and their relatives that were affected by those wars then yes I would support that.

The official Roll Call is housed at Trinity College

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Lapin wrote: »

I'm willing to bet that you have never been 'pestered' by anyone selling a poppy.

There is no in your face exposure to advertising and marketing campaigns for the poppy, unlike hundreds of other goods that you willingly purchase each year without moaning about being pestered by those you gladly buy them from.

I'm sick of this same old shítstirring tripe beong regurgitated every year by people who know little or fúckall about what they're talking about.

No one forces anyone to wear a poppy. If people want to wear one, let them off. Its their business.

Live and let live - And STFU.

This post should've been the end of the discussion.

The thread was clearly an attempt to stir up a bit of British hatred, when people clearly don't understand the first thing about the poppy.

It amazes me the amount of people with a chip on their shoulder who haven't the first clue about what they're actually offended at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

After all it's for a foreign army, I don't see anyone wearing an emblem for the French, American, Spanish army. Ok some say it's for charity for injured British soldiers, but surely if they join up it's up to the British govt to properly look after them when they are injured and not pestering people expecting charity ?

yes, i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Some of my Uncles & Grand-uncles fought in the British Army. That was the done thing in those days. I would happily wear a poppy in remembrance of their actions. I am also a proud Nationalist & feel no conflict whatsoever.

Their actions did nothing to advance the cause of Irish freedom. Unless they came home and fought against the British at a later date. I wonder if people like the idea of wearing this symbol as a way of honouring dead relatives but dont want to question why they fought for the British

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lets see, why would an Irish person of sound mind and free will want to wear a poppy?

Maybe because they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Absolute bulls**t. You spout a serious amount of nonsense on threads like this lad.

How many journalists came under fire for refusing to wear one? A few years ago there was a case were a guest was told she could not appear on TV without one. Shops have had abuse for not selling them... the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

How many journalists came under fire for refusing to wear one? A few years ago there was a case were a guest was told she could not appear on TV without one. Shops have had abuse for not selling them... the list goes on.

in Ireland??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I would never ever wear one, I wear an Easter Lilly. But if people want to wear one that's their own business!

freddiek wrote: »
    in Ireland??

The TV examples were from BBC and Channel 4 in England. But these attitudes exist in parts of Ireland (North) too.

The IRA were exactly the same as the UFF. Terrorists. If you are outraged by one but apologise for the other you are a hypocrite and unfit to comment.

By that very statement it is you who is unfit to comment. The UFF made the IRA look positively choosy when it came to indiscriminate killing.

UFF: 147 killings of which 130 were civilians (88% civilian)

IRA: 1712 killings of which 513 were civilians (29.9% civilian)

Indeed, when it comes to the troubles the British Army, with ~50% of their killings being civilians, were more 'terrorist' than the IRA.

British Army: 297 killings of which 150 were civilians (50.5%)

So, you see, when you throw the term 'terrorist' around you should probably think hard about who was being terrorised.

Cain Sutton Index.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would never ever wear one, I wear an Easter Lilly. But if people want to wear one that's their own business!

/thread.

Wear whatever flower you feel you closely identify with.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    /thread.

It's not that simple though. Poppy 'day' has grown from being a 'remembering the British Army dead' day (leaving aside its virtues or lack thereof) to a strange brand of poppy fascism with TV presenters and politicians wearing it for days before.

K-9 wrote: »
    /thread.

Or better still, none at all. I think wearing an Easter Lily in Tesco is disrespectful. The same with flags on houses and lamposts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

"Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?"

To show there support for Opium legalization? I don't no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

if you want to wear one, wear one. If you dont, then dont.

seriously,who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Doesn't ****ing matter either ****ing way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    The OP may have an axe to grieve with the British but the point is a good one, regardless of political affiliation.

I don't agree with the wars British soldiers have been sent to serve in, I don't regard them as 'heroes' or people worth revering in any way.
    However if the government decides to send those men and women into battle zones then the government should pay the price of rehabilitation etc and not rely on public goodwill and charity to cover the shortfall.
    Adolf Hitler ring a bell? No?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Lelantos wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler ring a bell? No?

British government dont give a fcuk about them, why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gallag wrote: »
    When I wear a poppy it is a small way of thanking and keeping the memory alive of the sacrifices EVERY man woman and child gave for our freedom. To make this a bad thing is small minded

who they free us from?

I thank Uncle sam who freed us from those Iraqis and their weapons of mass destruction.

there are those who wear the poppy in Britain out of conviction and those who wear it for fear of going against the grain.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, because Irish men died fighting in WWI

so what. the muppets died for nothing. irish men also died in the american civil war and the french foreign legion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Fuinseog wrote: »

so what. the muppets died for nothing. irish men also died in the american civil war and the french foreign legion.
    Darwin award winner here I believe

Grayson wrote: »
    And blowing up kids in warrington was ok? The IRA were not saints. They blew up plenty of innocent bystanders. Hell, they targeted plenty of innocent people.

how many Irish people wear an easter lily to honour the IRA?

wearing the poppy is all about glorifying past military deeds, some of which were less than admirable. the brits do not give a hoot about their veterans or those who lost a limb for queen and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fought for the wrong country; died for the wrong cause.

Does it honestly matter now? Whether they were fighting for home rule or some food and a wage, does the politics of it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

That is an incredibley smallminded and nasty term to use to describe Irishmen who for a myriad of reasons faught in the great war.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

how many Irish people wear an easter lily to honour the IRA?

wearing the poppy is all about glorifying past military deeds, some of which were less than admirable. the brits do not give a hoot about their veterans or those who lost a limb for queen and country.
    go to the bottom of the class,you have not got a clue,have you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Dara O'Briain didn't wear one on British tv for awhile and then he did, there's obviously a lot of pressure put on tv presenters to wear one. I frankly think it's insane as an Irish person to wear one out of your own free will, it's commemorating British soldiers who have killed Irish people in Ireland, it also commemorates the soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and all the other horrendous wars the British have fought in the name of imperialism.

I'd rather we commemorated the abuse victims of the church here in Ireland before we go wearing a badge that honors murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That is an incredibley smallminded and nasty term to use to describe Irishmen who for a myriad of reasons faught in the great war.:mad:

Its is indeed, especially when you consider that about 35,000 died and 210,000 enlisted ,there being no conscription in Ireland, more interesting too is the fact that 10% of Irelands male pop. fought bearing in my what a previous poster said about those that may have fought just fill their stomachs and earn a wage.

Advertisement