Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Comments

• They seem to have turned all the lights off again. I think they were just testing them.
    More like back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Lights on J9 were on at lunchtime for some reason.
    and dont forget
    Road Closure M6 Motorway Westbound Carriageway Jn 13 Athlone West to Jn 14 Ballinasloe from 9th July to 27th July 2012.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Road_Closures/Temporary_Road_Closure_M6_2012_-_Decision/Temporary_Road_Closure_M6_2012_-_Decision.html

It should only take 6/7 days, but i dont know why contractors put in for such a long period of closure, suppose they will only have one or two lads working on the problem as apposed to a big team to get it fixed sooner !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

billbond4 wrote: »
    Lights on J9 were on at lunchtime for some reason.
    I passed through J9 at 5pm. Passed through J9 again at 6pm and the went through J11. Didn't get held up for very long at the lights on any of the 3 occasions. Overall, the lights seemed to be coping reasonably well (although I would expect the timings to be fine tuned even further in the coming weeks).
    and dont forget
    Road Closure M6 Motorway Westbound Carriageway Jn 13 Athlone West to Jn 14 Ballinasloe from 9th July to 27th July 2012.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Road_Closures/Temporary_Road_Closure_M6_2012_-_Decision/Temporary_Road_Closure_M6_2012_-_Decision.html

It should only take 6/7 days, but i dont know why contractors put in for such a long period of closure, suppose they will only have one or two lads working on the problem as apposed to a big team to get it fixed sooner !!

I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Went through the lights at J11 Coosan twice this evening.

First time going from B&Q to get onto the bypass eastbound. Stopped at the first lights, two cars ahead of me looking to turn left onto the bypass westbound. Red lights on the far side of the flyover as well, holding traffic for cars coming off the westbound carriageway. Surely a flashing amber would have let the left turners go on their way without causing anyone any bother.

Second time coming off the westbound carriageway to turn left, light changes to red as I approach. For all the time I was sitting there didn't see one car go in any direction. And to add insult to injury it even held me for the green man, again no-one to be seen.

Not a good start!

• Yes, traffic "management" for the sake of it! :mad:

Mini-roundabouts would have solved those issues.

They would have been the ideal solution at these junctions.

• Advertisement

The j13to j14 westbound will now be closed from 8am on July 16 for one week
    Just seen it on a vms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I wonder if there are plans to review the benefit or otherwise of this from traffic management point of view. Coosan junction needs removal or minimum filter lights. Garycastle not too bad considering in fairness.

• I wonder if there are plans to review the benefit or otherwise of this from traffic management point of view. Coosan junction needs removal or minimum filter lights. Garycastle not too bad considering in fairness.

Yes, it's only the right turn for traffic leaving the N6 that's an issue!

What were the eastbound J10-J9 cones in aid of may i ask?

Can only think they were to slow traffic down approaching the lights?

They were putting concrete on the new underside of the pedestrian bridge

• Advertisement

The j13to j14 westbound will now be closed from 8am on July 16 for one week
    Just seen it on a vms

Terrible signage. If i took it literally i would think that the off ramp is also closed

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

M6 westbound is closed this morning between Athlone and Ballinasloe, and its all systems go already. plenty work underway and the machine to lift the existing surface was just arriving. apt timing, as the road was holding plenty of this mornings rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭funnyname

What route is the diversion?

Also they should consider making some remedial repairs to a section about 4km before the eastbound Tullamore/Kilbeggan junction. It is just before a bridge (I think it's the 3rd one before the junction), there's an awful dip, not so bad on the inside lane but horrible on the outside lane.

funnyname wrote: »

Also they should consider making some remedial repairs to a section about 4km before the eastbound Tullamore/Kilbeggan junction. It is just before a bridge (I think it's the 3rd one before the junction), there's an awful dip, not so bad on the inside lane but horrible on the outside lane.

Id imagine you just get off at J13 and go straight through the roundabout onto the old N6. Follow the road and get back onto the M6 at Beagh (J14) to avoid the horror of having to go into Ballinasloe itself :eek:

• funnyname wrote: »

I'm sure that'll show up in the next survey, could be subsidence caused by the heavy rain.

I'm sure that'll show up in the next survey, could be subsidence caused by the heavy rain.

How often are surveys carried out as it has been like that for the past 6 months if not longer. Also who carries out these surveys?

How often are surveys carried out as it has been like that for the past 6 months if not longer. Also who carries out these surveys?
    About once a year or sooner if someone complains, several sections have been resurfaced along there over the past couple of years along with replacing the expansion rubbers in the bridge near Kilbeggan.

PS: we're a bit "off the track here".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Do they have an expected opening time for the motorway from j13-j14 on Friday?

nope, but im guessing it will be after 6

nope, but im guessing it will be after 6

Leaving Dublin at 6 so im hoping for a straight route to Galway.

• Advertisement

I will let you know on Friday evening what the story is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    M6 westbound is closed this morning between Athlone and Ballinasloe, and its all systems go already. plenty work underway and the machine to lift the existing surface was just arriving. apt timing, as the road was holding plenty of this mornings rain!
    Do you know how much resurfacing they are going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

no idea, but theres a couple of miles where the water holds in heavy rain at least.
    is it definitely re-opening Friday evening? I thought it was going to be closed for a week?

I see the following up on AAroadwatch
    The N6/M6 Dublin/Galway Rd is expected to reopen ahead of schedule at 7 o'clock this evening, westbound between J13 Athlone West and J14 Ballinasloe East. For now, diversions are in place via the Ballinasloe/Loughrea Rd (R446/Old N6).

When I passed by it going eastbound yesterday morning there wasn't a whole lot going on, looked like there was a trench about a foot wide across the width of the road and a large machine beside it.

When I passed by it going eastbound yesterday morning there wasn't a whole lot going on, looked like there was a trench about a foot wide across the width of the road and a large machine beside it.

From what I've heard, all they are doing is installing additional drainage in one place.

lane closure until the 2nd november, for whatever reason I dont know?

• billbond4 wrote: »
    lane closure until the 2nd november, for whatever reason I dont know?

Perhaps they'll remove the unstable sandbank by then?

• Advertisement

nah, they will hardly get that done by then
    Thats a least a two day job

Advertisement